NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Default Just So Tobacco - Jesse Burkett

Posted By: Phil Garry

I would like to get everyone's opinion on the restoration of the above mentioned card which has been highly publicized on past threads. As a vintage card collector, would you prefer to own the card in its current state after being restored neatly and professionally or would you prefer to have the card in its prior condition, severely trimmed down from its original cabinet card form?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Prior condition...I don't like the Frankenstein work on that Burkett card.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I'd take it either way. Personally, if I had it before the restoration I'd probably have left it unrestored. In the end, and I know the purist are probably going to crucify me for the next statement but... It looks really nice restored.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I'm going from memory here, but I think all the restoration could be undone. I, too, would not have had it restored but would have no qualms adding it to my collection in its current state -- as long as there was full disclosure and I knew what I was buying.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jason

unrestored the reason is that a card if restored is not a true card and some times the grading companys still grade it and it gets a high grade. the grade at the most should be authentic or not graded at all.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The card is fine the way it is, in restored condition, imo. I am about 50/50 on whether I would have had it done (myself) but now that it's done, and there's always full disclosure, I think it's better than unrestored.....I am just not sure I would have spent the 3k-4k to get it done in the first place. It looks a little better restored to me....

jdunbar- it's in an AUT holder already with comments as to what was done, on the flip...from what I remember.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

The Burkett flip reads:

AUTHENTIC
Trimmed/Altered Mount

Old 12-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I would be okay restoring the card if, for instance, it had a few tears. Since it is a great rarity I would cut it some slack. But I don't like the fact that two different cards were combined. I would have left it as is.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

[linked image]

Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Have you seen the Burkett before the restoration? It looked like just a photo, unless you are able to recognize Cleveland uniform and the similarities with the othe Just So photos.

The restored card is much nicer.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i like the restored card better. i'd much prefer to see a "complete" card as it was intended to be...even if it look restored...as this card does. i like that it is slabbed as restored as well so there is no confusion.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

[linked image]

Old 12-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Paradis

I guess if I'm OK with human's being "improved" (face-lifts, breast implants, etc.) I'd
have to be OK with a card being improved.

The card looks great!

Dan

Old 12-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyRSh.anus

The issue I have with this is that PSA slabbed the card authentic. Yes, for certain alterations (trimming, minor touchup/restoration), I'm okay with that. But here you have the portion of the card that identifies it as a Just So (and which gives the card the great majority of its value) not touched up/restored/altered, but REPLACED in its ENTIRETY with a mount from an altogether DIFFERENT card. That to me stretches the envelop too much. This is not a Jesse Burkett Just So. This is a Jesse Burkett/"Jane Doe" actress Just So. So to me the issue is not whether its former owner should have altered the card the way he did, but rather that it was slabbed at all and characterized as a "Jesse Burkett" Just So.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

I agree with Corey, should not have been slabbed. That being said, I would rather have the restored version.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I don't think they did a great job of matching the toning in the two pieces, but I do prefer it aesthetically to just the trimmed piece. Since everyone who would be buying this card knows the story, I don't have any issue with it being slabbed.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I'd rather have the restored version, and I would have bought it if it wasn't for the discovery of the W600 Burketts. I'd rather have one of the W600s than the restored Just So, so I decided not to spend 8-10K on the Just So. But I do realize I'll be waiting a long time for a W600, and that Just So card seems to come up for sale every few months.

Has anyone noticed the Cameo Pepsin Burkett in Mastro's auction. How many of those are out there?