NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Trimmed 1935 Chicle cards and heartbreak

So, to make a long story relatively short, I have been chasing the 1935 National Chicle set. My first vintage football set. I know, crazy. Anyway, I have decided to do the set in SGC holders. I just love the look of the cards in the holders. So classic. Jeff has been extremely helpful in this endeavor as I think he has sold most of his extras to me. Anyway, I scored 8 singles through a reputable auction home and several others from MSB sports cards. Most were not SGC slabbed, but one of the nicest from the auction was a Rockne that I was certain was going to get an 84 or 88. Auction stated that the cards were from a collection that some guy found from his grandpa's belongings. Anyway, the cards were SWEET! So I sent them in and yesterday they shipped them back and I saw the grades and my heart sunk... 6 cards trimmed, including the ROCKNE!!!!! Probably the lowpoint of collecting for me and made me briefly want to be done with the hobby, but I just like it too dang much. So, I recovered and contacted the auction house and hopefully we can work something out. Reality is that SGC grades very strictly and I appreciate that. But the other killer was that I had purchased a PSA 5 Isola #26 and it was very nice, so I was hoping for a 60, it came back trimmed as well, so there is a multi-hundred dollar hit. What a hobby. I am fortunate I can absorb those hits, but dang, I was 2 cards away from the set, and now I am back to 8 cards away. Comments anyone?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 AM

Default Sorry to hear that

Hopefully you can work something out with the auction house!! I am a huge fan of this set as well, this is my first as well. I am also putting them in SGC holders, love the look. Did SGC still slab the trimmed cards?? Also If you are going to sell these cards please let me know, I am 5 cards away from the set, I am looking for a Hinkle, Isola, Nags, Ernie Smith, and Niccolai.

Thanks Tucker
Old 02-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Trimmed cards

I will probably sell them. Hopefully auction house will work with me and I can send the ones from there back to them. I will let you know next week. Did also get a few nice grades. Will try to post pics when I have everything in hand. I still need Battles, Smith, and Tosi in SGC holders. It is certainly no easy task to complete this set.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
John

I'm sorry to hear this - I'm working on the set as well in PSA holders. In my opinion, if the auction house tried to imply the cards were from an original collection - they should make good. The implication when "grandfather" is thrown around is that someone got these out of packs and no one would think Grandpa is going to the attic at night trimming the cards he acquired as a kid.

Just as disappointing is the one you tried to crossover. I hate to be a cynic - but do these companies get some kind of satisfaction from rejecting the other companies cards? I support grading strictly - but that is different to me than making a decision a card is altered - I would hope there is evidence on that one. Can you post the Isola 5 hopefully still in the PSA holder? I'm curious about that one. Good luck on your set.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 02-28-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Eric
Eric

Will try to post pictures in a couple days. Away from scanner for weekend and cards are not back from SGC yet. The Isola really burns me. Wish I would have told them to not crack it if they suspected trimming, but the reality is I never would have guessed another company's card would not be recognized the same way by the other company. And that card was pricey. And now not so much. Sucks to take it in the shorts like that. And the Rockne, I was so jacked to see an 84 or 88 on that one. Anyway, I will post pics for everyone to see next week when SGC order comes back. Thanks for the comments and support.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Eric
Eric

Hey guys, I have gotten a few PMs and I will respond to them but want to hear from auction house on Monday and get cards in hand before I make decisions on what I want to do. Thanks to all for the interest. This is a great community here
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Jeff P

Sorry to hear about this Eric. That really stinks.

I still have a lot of Chicle doubles if you are interested in any. Same goes for anyone else here working on the set. Got an extra Nags, two extra Tosi's, some additional high numbers plus a bunch of the low numbers.

jeff
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Solution

Just got a call from Mears Auctions. They stated that I can send the cards back and I will get a refund! Very impressed with this auction house. They are making it right. That is certainly all I can ask. So, Rockne, Smith, and Matesic go back. At some point, I will post all of the Chicle cards I have as well as the extras that I have and if anybody needs the extras, we can work something out. Officially now 2 cards away from the set, Tosi and Ben Smith. I have the Tosi being held for me and all I need is a nice Ben Smith, so if anyone has one or knows of one, that would be great, preferable SGC slabbed, but open to anything that IS NOT TRIMMED!!!!! Haha. Please let me know.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Jeff P

Great to hear you got your $$$ back! Sounds like you will be finishing this project up shortly. What's the next set you're gonna attack?

jeff
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM
John Spano

Eric,

Glad to hear that things worked out!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Eric
Eric

Default New pick-up

Thanks to Tucker for pointing me to Dean's cards. I found a nice Ben Smith that will hopefully grade an 80 and picked up a 1948 Leaf Clyde Bulldog Turner... maybe a future set. Definitely will not be trying the 1894 Mayo set at this point, but who knows in the future. Now one card away from the set and when I get re-imbursed from Mears, I will be able to get the Tosi. Woohoo! What a project. But lots of fun. I will be posting my extras on here hopefully this weekend as soon as I learn how to get them from the scanner into the thread. Bear with me... rookie here.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Fred

glad it worked out for you
Old 03-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Bronko Nag alert on Ebay..If it wasnt from the United Kindgom, i might took a stab at it.
Very nice and at 2k, still has some juice left. Been watching it for a few days.

Also for those Galloping Ghost guys..i ran across a 1935 R311 graded sgc20. Very nice indeed. Too bad its a BIN auction, a bit steep. It go nice with my 55 All American.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Eric
Eric

Default the plot thickens

Update... the auction house decided to send the cards that SGC had deemed trimmed to PSA for a second opinion stating that they did not believe SGC. Just heard back yesterday. Rockne was in fact trimmed and Matesic was given a 6 and Ben Smith a 6.5. Nice grades for the cards, I guess, so now I will be getting refund for Rockne and will get the PSA cards which do not help me at all for my set and they will thus be for sale. I am not collecting a PSA set, so will want to unload these. If any interest, let me know. I have some more cards I am still trying to figure out what to do with and am going to resubmit one to SGC again. The saga continues... Still happy with the way that the auction house has handled this. You can feel very confident to bid in a Mears auction