NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-29-2023, 04:50 PM
J@son Per1

Default Reggie Documentary on Amz Prime Video

For vintage fans I’d like to heartily endorse this documentary. Reggie Jackson comes off as thoughtful and introspective at this stage in his life as he looks back on his HOF career. The footage is marvelous including a special Jackie Robinson moment where he gave a speech at Oakland Alameda stadium only days before his passing in 1972. I did a double take when I saw A’s manager Dick Williams give Jackie’s wife a peck on the cheek. Really moving. There’s just oodles of great footage in this doc. It also features some of Reggie’s A’s teammates, Joe Rudi, Rollie Fingers, Vida Blue.

Oh yeah and Hammerin Hank Aaron is in it! As is Dr J. Then you’ve got your late 70s Bronx zoo footage, with a heavy dose of Thurman Munson, Billy Martin and George Steinbrenner.

Must watch for baseball fans.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:54 PM

Watched it and enjoyed it. Reggie Jackson was probably the first sports star I knew the name of (him or Yaz) - I remember hearing all about Reggie when the Yankees won in 1977 and I wasn't even aware really of baseball and certainly not of baseball cards at that time.

As a life long Red Sox fan and a fan of the 1978 set, two of finest looking baseball cards ever made are Reggie's 1978 - really just perfect - and Rice's '78 - happy and smiling.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:29 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Very cool...thanks for letting us know! I will be all over watching that...

I'm in the same boat...Reggie was the first superstar really of any kind for me growing up in Seattle. When I was 9 and just getting into baseball cards we didn't really have any local hero's yet. M's and Seahawks were still pretty new, and sucked. Reggie was in his prime, and I'll never forget, I got his 79 Topps card in the first pack I ever opened. Still have that card.

My best Reggie memory was after a game in Seattle. During the game Reggie got ejected and famously threw a Gatarade bucket of ice on the field. It was AWESOME...crowd went nuts. After the game my uncle took me down to the part of the parking area where the players would exit on their way to the bus as we were hoping to get some autographs. (I got Gaylord Perry's, one of my coolest memories...and a picture of me and him where he is showing me how to throw a knuckle ball, I still have that too!). So Reggie comes out, still PISSED...and my uncle was too close. He didn't even see it coming as his back was to Reggie and he wasn't a sports guy, he didn't care...and Reggie shoved him out of the way! Didn't knock my uncle down, but definitely moved him a few yards! It was great...and my uncle was proud of that moment...haha. M's staff immediately came over to check on him, but considering he was laughing and loving it, they deemed him ok. I believe that was 1983 and I was 13...and that only cemented my hero worship of Mr. October!

Can't wait to watch it...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-29-2023, 06:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

No matter what was going on, I would immediately stop and stare at the TV when Reg stepped up to the plate. Every at-bat was an incredible piece of theater as you prayed to God he would send another one rocketing towards the Bronx tenement buildings!!!!!!!!! What a frickin' showman!!!!!!!!!!! What a time to be alive!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:44 AM

I remember Reggie coming out of nowhere in 1969. He hit 34 HRs in the first 75 games and made the cover of Sports Illustrated, I had a subscription. There was talk of him breaking the HR record. I got to see him play in Anaheim and he went deep. Unfortunately, Reggie slumped in August and September with only 7 HRs total. That season made me a fan of his.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:18 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Watched it last night...thoroughly enjoyed it. Great clips, great guests. I love how it opened with Pete Rose on the phone. They threw out the names of all my childhood heros...set the tone! Thx again for the heads up...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-31-2023, 10:04 AM
Mike Reid

Watched it and thought it was really good.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:11 PM

it was very good. it explains why he is the way he is.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Gonna have to watch it. Reggie was a "superstar": he absolutely had that great charisma, and also the arrogance but with the game to back it up. One of my favorite guys to watch in the 1970s, with Nolan Ryan and Pete Rose. They all had that swagger.

I always thought of him as a smart player too, not just a great one. Reggie's 'hip check' of the ball during that potential double play in the WS was a cheat move but also a great example of how he was always thinking.

And the Reggie! bar? I used to eat a ton of those at card shows, and the fact that it came with a baseball card just made it better. I had a stack of those cards.

Thread needs a Reggie card:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-02-2023 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Agree with all it was very enjoyable

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-04-2023, 05:29 PM

Was able to see it last weekend with my brothers. We grew up in NY/NJ when the mid-70's Yankees became good and when baseball still king. It was well done and there are some back stories that fill in a lot of blanks and give context as to why he is Reggie. I trust you all saw that the Reggie bar is coming out again. I really can't wait to taste one again, though several other candy bars are similar.

Last edited by cesarcap; 04-04-2023 at 05:39 PM.