NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-26-2023, 08:13 AM

Default Help with higher end card purchases

I am one of the ones that got back into the hobby in 2020. Except this time I quickly gravitated to vintage and have been here ever since. But I have mostly been collecting lower end cards. The most I have spent on a card to date is about $750. My wife and I have recently agreed to up my card budget to allow for a few higher end cards per year (2-3k per card). I am looking to you all for advice. Do you have any advice for someone new to this higher end price? Also, do you have any recommendations on cards to look at? While I am collecting, I do want these cards to appreciate over time. Trying to think through if I should go after some higher grade easier to find cards from late 50s and 60s. Or if I should look to the lower grade tougher cards like a short print 53 Mays. Any other good short prints to look at?Or maybe a combo of both strategies.

So, open door here… any advice or thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2023, 08:53 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

when you mentioned the word 'appreciate over time' - it seems like more of a investment. If so, you can't go wrong with a Mantle card.
Now if for just enjoyment to collect, go for what you like,
but try to buy the better centered cards and better sharp corners, then again eye appeal is all that matters.
Its up to you to decide if this is for pleasure or investment.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:09 AM
Bob C.

If looking for longer-term investment, growth, and safest cards to invest in (least likely to drop in future value), the newer saying is pretty much true. Buy the highest condition card, of the most well-known, famous, and/or iconic/HOF players, in the most popular and highly collected sets, you can afford!
Bob C.

And if not looking for safe, long-term investments, and are truly just a collector/hobbyist not concerned at all with future value or value retention, simply buy what appeals to you and that you like and makes you happy.

Last edited by BobC; 03-26-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Bob C.

And also, if just a true collector/hobbyist, buy the card and not the holder. But the exact opposite is often truer if you're more interested in investment and value. In that case, you may want to look more at the holder than the card itself.

Last edited by BobC; 03-26-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
And if not looking for safe, long-term investments, and are truly just a collector/hobbyist not concerned at all with future value or value retention, simply buy what appeals to you and that you like and makes you happy.

Good question. My purely collector/hobbyist budget is still fairly low and I will remain in the lower end cards there. These few bigger cards a year will sort of serve a dual purpose with a blurry line between hobby/investment. We believe that financially we will never need to sell these bigger cards but want to buy cards that hold their value well in case we do. For example, if in 15 years, we don’t quite have a semester of college covered for my girls, we can sell a card to assist. I am buying hoping to never sell but need that as an option just in case.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
when you mentioned the word 'appreciate over time' - it seems like more of a investment. If so, you can't go wrong with a Mantle card.
Now if for just enjoyment to collect, go for what you like,
but try to buy the better centered cards and better sharp corners, then again eye appeal is all that matters.
Its up to you to decide if this is for pleasure or investment.

Good question. I should have put this in my original post. Check out my response to BobC.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:45 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbjerry View Post
Good question. My purely collector/hobbyist budget is still fairly low and I will remain in the lower end cards there. These few bigger cards a year will sort of serve a dual purpose with a blurry line between hobby/investment. We believe that financially we will never need to sell these bigger cards but want to buy cards that hold their value well in case we do. For example, if in 15 years, we don’t quite have a semester of college covered for my girls, we can sell a card to assist. I am buying hoping to never sell but need that as an option just in case.

Then I would follow my advice in post #3, and regardless of whether you have a big card budget or not, still always try to buy the best condition graded card you can afford. If you can't afford a card for a certain player/set in a 7-8 condition/grade, maybe just a 3 condition/grade, buy one in the 3 condition/grade, and don't just settle for a 2 (or lesser) graded condition one of that exact same card that you could possibly have gotten cheaper. Again, nicest graded condition of only the best/greatest players possible, from the most popular/collected sets. Consider it similar to buying a blue chip company stock versus buying a more volatile, speculative, or fairly new, more unproven company stock.

And if the card(s) you do end up buying following such a plan also happen to satisfy that collecting itch, and make you happy as well, then that is a super win-win!

And for the sake of transparency and honesty, being more of a set collector, I do not myself religiously follow and employ this exact same methodology of always only buying the best card, of the best players, from the best sets, when it comes to cards I acquire and collect.

Last edited by BobC; 03-26-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Then I would follow my advice in post #3, and regardless of whether you have a big card budget or not, still always try to buy the best condition graded card you can afford. If you can't afford a card for a certain player/set in a 7-8 condition/grade, maybe just a 3 condition/grade, buy one in the 3 condition/grade, and don't just settle for a 2 (or lesser) graded condition one of that exact same card that you could possibly have gotten cheaper. Again, nicest graded condition of only the best/greatest players possible, from the most popular/collected sets. Consider it similar to buying a blue chip company stock versus buying a more volatile, speculative, or fairly new, more unproven company stock.

And if the card(s) you do end up buying following such a plan also happen to satisfy that collecting itch, and make you happy as well, then that is a super win-win!

Thank you

Old 03-26-2023, 12:31 PM
Chris Eberhart

IMHO this is a bad idea. Invest your $ elsewhere. When all the older collectors die the market will be in decline. There are many middle aged guys with money to throw around right now. Look up population reports of most desirable cards made after WWII and you will see none/few are truly rare. Most of the rare ones are on the fringes of the market and carry little value comparably. The market is currently overrun with guys wanting to be better than the next. That rarely ends well unless you are the seller. Notice how people applaud the ebay authenticity guarantee system when it stops buyers from returns. Those are the types of sellers you will be buying from at your price point. They don’t want it back even if you are unhappy.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
IMHO this is a bad idea. Invest your $ elsewhere. When all the older collectors die the market will be in decline. There are many middle aged guys with money to throw around right now. Look up population reports of most desirable cards made after WWII and you will see none/few are truly rare. Most of the rare ones are on the fringes of the market and carry little value comparably. The market is currently overrun with guys wanting to be better than the next. That rarely ends well unless you are the seller. Notice how people applaud the ebay authenticity guarantee system when it stops buyers from returns. Those are the types of sellers you will be buying from at your price point. They don’t want it back even if you are unhappy.

Thank you. This is helpful and getting me thinking of the other side of the coin. Based on your view that you presented, if you were going to buy/invest in cards as a blurred hobby/potential investment, where would you put your money?

Old 03-26-2023, 12:43 PM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Thank you. This is helpful and getting me thinking of the other side of the coin. Based on your view that you presented, if you were going to buy/invest in cards as a blurred hobby/potential investment, where would you put your money?

Pre WWII.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:32 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

If you’re focused on liquidity and maintaining value then your best bet is usually going to be popular issues of popular players. And vintage all the way.

Probably won’t make a killing on it, especially if you’re buying in today, but the odds are better that you won’t lose your shirt.

As was mentioned earlier, if investment goals are high on your list of needs, then I would be hesitant to suggest that you invest much in cardboard. A little here and there, maybe. As a hobby, sure. But anything where you need it to perform for you financially, and I agree that cardboard may not be the best choice.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel