NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-17-2022, 04:10 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Read description, and zoom in on the spine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33466955753...oAAOSwMW5jnibR
He pulled it, which is good.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:42 PM
Marc

Default 49ers miner

Someone posted this maroon 49ers miner pennant on facebook a few months ago and I've been hunting it down ever since. It arrived today, from Canada. Glad to add it to the group. It's the first maroon version I have ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49ers miner maroon.jpg (128.1 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 49ers miner wheel.jpg (175.3 KB, 214 views)
Old 12-17-2022, 05:58 PM

Beautiful Niner pennants. One of the coolest pennants in any sport. Especially nice to get it with bold graphics.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:09 AM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Default St.Louis Browns

I know this is a waste of time but does anyone have the Diamond of Elves pennant for sale that is clean? I can only try.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:39 AM
Rob

Quote:
He pulled it, which is good.
Would you say the body of the pennant was “good”?
Old 12-18-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 661fish View Post
I know this is a waste of time but does anyone have the Diamond of Elves pennant for sale that is clean? I can only try.
I have two, one is a royal blue and the other is burgundy. Both near mint with all four tassels. Unfortunately I’m more in the “trading” market right now, not really anxious to sell. I love STL Browns pennants, am looking for more color variations of the “grommet” pennants with the awesome Apotheisis of Saint Louis logo.

I’d be heavily in the market for an oversized 1910s era Browns, a blue 1944 AL Champs, and a full-size Keezer (same graphics as the 3/4 size in the pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0458F30A-7B5B-41C8-8DC4-BED052F851CC.jpg (212.7 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 12-18-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Would you say the body of the pennant was “good”?
It’s actually back up, but without the description. The seller seems like a decent guy. It just looks very new to me.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:46 PM

I only have about 1-1/2 tubs of football pennants, but I have five of these. I noticed that there appears to be two different screens, not just differences in sharpness. Look at the tallest mountain. … One of these is odd in that the logo is mostly gold (as is the football outline) and the tassels are very thin.

Last edited by thetahat; 12-18-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Someone posted this maroon 49ers miner pennant on facebook a few months ago and I've been hunting it down ever since. It arrived today, from Canada. Glad to add it to the group. It's the first maroon version I have ever seen.
Marc, take a close look at the rear stitching on the second one from the bottom in your pic. Am I right that this is different than the others, almost like a double stitch?

That pennant and two of mine are like that, they also have graphics that are less sharp. You can even see it in the letters. I would think knock-off … except that one guy sold off a bunch of 3/4 size pennants that were similar and he bought them all in an old Trench box. More mysteries.

On another note, when I first used eBay there were a TON of mint 3/4 Trench football from the mid 1960s. Like there was a huge find somewhere. Now you never see them.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:15 PM
Marc

Hey Greg- that's a nice assortment, and I never noticed the different graphics related to the mountain. I will say that some seem much nicer (amount of color, number of different colors) than others.

It looks like your bottom copy is also maroon. Nice. I still need to pick up a red one with white letters. I've seen a number of those over the years and always tell myself that I'll get one later. But now they seem less common.

The pennant you asked about (with the gray spine) does have something like double stitching on the back.

I have one 3/4 size, and it has that mostly yellow tint (see attached).

I've also seen the yellow tint on green felt. Can't say that I particularly like the color combination, but I'd probably buy it if I saw it
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Miner mini.jpeg (89.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Green and yellow miner.jpg (63.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 12-18-2022, 06:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
It’s actually back up, but without the description. The seller seems like a decent guy. It just looks very new to me.
Total reproduction. Paint is all wrong, and as fake as they come.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I only have about 1-1/2 tubs of football pennants, but I have five of these. I noticed that there appears to be two different screens, not just differences in sharpness. Look at the tallest mountain. … One of these is odd in that the logo is mostly gold (as is the football outline) and the tassels are very thin.
The trees are quite different, too.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Total reproduction. Paint is all wrong, and as fake as they come.
Yep and it has the closed off spine so that a dowel can’t be used.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The trees are quite different, too.
Yes! I see that now.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Hey Greg- that's a nice assortment, and I never noticed the different graphics related to the mountain. I will say that some seem much nicer (amount of color, number of different colors) than others.

It looks like your bottom copy is also maroon. Nice. I still need to pick up a red one with white letters. I've seen a number of those over the years and always tell myself that I'll get one later. But now they seem less common.

The pennant you asked about (with the gray spine) does have something like double stitching on the back.

I have one 3/4 size, and it has that mostly yellow tint (see attached).

I've also seen the yellow tint on green felt. Can't say that I particularly like the color combination, but I'd probably buy it if I saw it
Mine are all different shades of red. Good movie title … 5 Shades of Red. Rated G.

The bottom is just slightly deeper, like crimson.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:15 AM
Rob

Question for Kyle:

With all the subtle variations we’ve been seeing, how often do you think the pennant makers would have had to “change out” their screens? I think Trench made thousands of the left handed batter and bridge for the Giants. I wonder how many they could get out of one screen…
Old 12-19-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Question for Kyle:

With all the subtle variations we’ve been seeing, how often do you think the pennant makers would have had to “change out” their screens? I think Trench made thousands of the left handed batter and bridge for the Giants. I wonder how many they could get out of one screen…
Good question. Once you burn your screen (stencil), if made properly, it could last several thousand runs. They're quite durable.

If the pennant was polychromatic, it might actually be made with up to four screens, depending on how many colors it featured. (One screen per color.)

I suspect for each pennant they burned a couple of screens, just in case the primary screen became damaged, e.g., torn mesh. If they were trying to screen a lot of pennants really quickly, like an NL/AL champs pennant for sale at a world series, you might have multiple presses printing the same pennant, side by side.

Here's what a well used screen looked like after a few thousand runs at Chicago Pennant Co....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-19 205842.jpg (118.7 KB, 225 views)
Old 12-20-2022, 08:02 AM
Marc

If they needed a new screen because the old wore out, would they copy it somehow? In a way that might “lessen” the quality of the original graphics? Or would they start from new?
Old 12-20-2022, 08:20 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Good question. Once you burn your screen (stencil), if made properly, it could last several thousand runs. They're quite durable.

If the pennant was polychromatic, it might actually be made with up to four screens, depending on how many colors it featured. (One screen per color.)

I suspect for each pennant they burned a couple of screens, just in case the primary screen became damaged, e.g., torn mesh. If they were trying to screen a lot of pennants really quickly, like an NL/AL champs pennant for sale at a world series, you might have multiple presses printing the same pennant, side by side.

Here's what a well used screen looked like after a few thousand runs at Chicago Pennant Co....
Good info, as always.

We did some silk screening in HS (I think) shop class. I seem to remember using an X-acto knife to cut the stencil. What do you mean by “burning” a screen?

The Seattle screen is cool….do you own it?
Old 12-20-2022, 11:26 AM
Rob

I think this is only the second purple Giants pennant I own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022-12-20 02.48.28.jpg (199.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Good info, as always.

We did some silk screening in HS (I think) shop class. I seem to remember using an X-acto knife to cut the stencil. What do you mean by “burning” a screen?

The Seattle screen is cool….do you own it?
The screens were "burned" because the process involved exposing the screen to a UV light source before performing a "wash out" resulting in the stencil you saw above.

That green substance you see, called "emulsion," is photo sensitive. It's dry/hardened now; but, when it was first developed, the artwork/graphics would have been transferred to transparent paper; then placed atop the dried emulsion inside a dark room. After exposing it to a UV light source for a few minutes, the exposed parts of the emulsion would harden and become waterproof. The unexposed areas (covered by the artwork/graphics) would remain, however, water soluble. When hit with a blast of water, this area of the screen would blow out, creating holes for paint to pass through.

That's how these stencils were made....
Old 12-20-2022, 02:56 PM
Rob

^^^^ pretty much how you do yours, yes?

Am I dreaming in thinking I somehow used an X-acto knife in shop class?
Old 12-20-2022, 05:10 PM

Exact same process. With a lot less fancy equipment.

...and no X-acto knives.

Last edited by Domer05; 12-20-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Exact same process. With a lot less fancy equipment.

...and no X-acto knives.
My last word on this…..I could have sworn we cut some sort of film with an X-acto knife…maybe to make a “negative” to bond to a screen? I dunno…it was a looooong time ago.

I just checked screen printing kits on Amazon….none of them include X-acto knives.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
If they needed a new screen because the old wore out, would they copy it somehow? In a way that might “lessen” the quality of the original graphics? Or would they start from new?
I think if that company owned the original artwork, and they needed to burn another screen, they would remake it using the original artwork--which was likely saved in a file somewhere for just such a purpose. Therefore, I'd expect the successive screens to match the quality of the first.

But, if you were gonna burn a screen by ripping off someone else's artwork, which certainly happened in the pennant biz, then perhaps your knock-off stencil would lose some detail during the translation process? Additionally, if the the resulting pennant were made on a screen with a different mesh count than those made from the original, that would certainly result in a slightly different looking pennant.

Sometimes you might change your screen to a lower mesh count to improve the opacity of your print. Other times you might go with a screen with a higher mesh count to enhance the detail of your print. There are sooooo many variables when making a pennant.

It's all trial and error.... I'm certain some makers made adjustments midway through a production run resulting in very minor variations.

Gives us something to talk about, that's for sure!
Old 12-22-2022, 04:02 PM

Welcome Phil and Phillis to the pennant basement! These are technically pennants as they have a spine on the back for a dowel …

Anyone from the South Jersey area ever seen the original Phil and Phillis Veterans Stadium “statues” at Storybook Land?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1686FE42-7CB1-4D11-8A30-3406F1613046.jpg (216.3 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 12-22-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:11 AM

Greg, I always thought those were cool products! Glad that they made it to the basement.

I believe those were made by HANCO, right? Did they make these for any other MLB teams? I wanna say I've seen one for the Minnesota Twins, maybe?
Old 12-23-2022, 07:26 AM
Rob

I may have nightmares about Phil and Phillis!
Old 12-23-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Greg, I always thought those were cool products! Glad that they made it to the basement.

I believe those were made by HANCO, right? Did they make these for any other MLB teams? I wanna say I've seen one for the Minnesota Twins, maybe?
Correct. HANCO. And yes I’ve seen the Twins but no other.

Here they are, permanently residing in Egg Harbor Township, NJ. A must see for anyone making the drive from Philly to Atlantic City.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 387D0156-8BE6-4F4D-AEC5-573B843DFC47.jpg (216.9 KB, 168 views)
Old 12-23-2022, 11:56 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Gotta believe these were made by same company with the dowel column running down the center. The Reds had 2 versions of this…. Mid 1970s manufacture, just like Phil and if Phillis.

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/39419385...UAAOSwUE5hcIcx

Last edited by perezfan; 12-23-2022 at 12:17 PM. Reason: To re-spell Phillis the wrong way, haha.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here’s the 1976 “repeat” version. The description saying “1975” is incorrect…

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...all-1935223609

Last edited by perezfan; 12-23-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Gotta believe these were made by same company with the dowel column running down the center. The Reds had 2 versions of this…. Mid 1970s manufacture, just like Phil and if Phillis.

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/39419385...UAAOSwUE5hcIcx
Yep looks like it. I think I’ve seen some NFL pennants like this, in particular Green Bay.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:17 PM
Rob

Quote:

They made the Orioles as well.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:28 PM
Rob

And Batman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batman.jpg (118.3 KB, 148 views)
Old 12-23-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Here’s the 1976 “repeat” version. The description saying “1975” is incorrect…

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...all-1935223609
Interesting. Look carefully: these Reds ones were actually made by ASCO--not HANCO. (ASCO's unique circle + arrow mark can be seen above the copyright.)

They're otherwise identical to the Phill/Phillis combo bearing HANCO's name, i,e., screen printed on white felt w/ a sleeve for a dowel on the reverse center line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 213550.jpg (116.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 213633.jpg (76.0 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 12-24-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:26 PM

Default Felt Pennant Figures

Here's the Minnesota Twins one I recall seeing. This one's a bit different; instead of going with the cartoonish pair of twin brothers flanking the Mississippi River--which would really complement the Phil/Phillis pairing a bit better--they went with a more realist looking baseball player.

Upon further inspection, that's because this felt figure was made by a different maker: Kresse Kreations (Not Hanco, not ASCO.)

It appears Kresse made a few other similar versions for MLB and even NHL teams....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 220707.jpg (54.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 220807.jpg (69.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 221555.jpg (79.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 221821.jpg (90.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 12-24-2022, 01:18 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great research and information, Kyle...

Hard to believe that 3 separate companies would manufacture such a similar (and short-lived) product.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:15 AM
Marc

Kyle- there is a Dodgers version of a batter-shaped pennant. I saw it on ebay less than a month ago (although I can't seem to find it now). It said something like NL champs or World series on it.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Kyle- there is a Dodgers version of a batter-shaped pennant. I saw it on ebay less than a month ago (although I can't seem to find it now). It said something like NL champs or World series on it.
WHAAAT. Oh, we must find it now....

Did it look like it was made in the mid-70s, as these were?
Old 12-24-2022, 10:52 AM
John €ffenheim

Bucks and Brewers. A stick in the Bucks would stop at the grommet.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:30 PM
Marc

Quote:
WHAAAT. Oh, we must find it now....

Did it look like it was made in the mid-70s, as these were?
I can't find it, either in current or completed items.

I believe it was attributed to 1978, either the word series or championship series. I remember thinking that it looked like Steve Garvey. 1970s look for sure.

Because I don't ever search for Dodgers pennants, it must have come up in a general search for "pennant." But, again, I can't find it.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:08 AM

Meet Mr. Met....

Same construction as the previous felt figure pennants. No maker's mark on this one.

Wasn't there a Mrs. Met, too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-24 093022.jpg (50.7 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 12-26-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:22 AM
Rob

From the oversized turn of the century pennants to these monstrosities…
Old 12-27-2022, 07:26 AM
Marc

Here is one of the Orioles mascot. Have never seen a Giants version. But there are enough Phillies versions out there for Greg to start on a second basement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 8.25.51 AM.jpg (57.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 8.30.49 AM.jpg (212.3 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 12-27-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:33 AM
Rob

Nightmare material. I think Ed and Lorraine Warren exorcised one of those Phillies things.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Here is one of the Orioles mascot. Have never seen a Giants version. But there are enough Phillies versions out there for Greg to start on a second basement.
This one says 79 AL champs on the bat. So, these felt figure pennants were made for a good five years or so....

Can you read the maker's mark on the bird's leg?
Old 12-27-2022, 09:45 AM

Here's a few more felt figure pennants by Kresse Kreations....

Green Bay Packers
Chicago White Sox
Univ. of Wisconsin
Univ. of North Carolina (no mark; but looks to be by Kresse)

These must have been more popular than we thought!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 233805.jpg (41.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 221650.jpg (70.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-23 233718.jpg (69.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-12-27 085232.jpg (103.1 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 12-27-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:53 AM
Marc

The Orioles just says TM Baltimore Orioles.

There are football shaped pennants from the Raiders Vikings Super Bowl. They have the ASCO mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7940.jpg (36.3 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 12-27-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:07 PM
Jim Murphy

New addition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4E88BF2A-3A83-45F4-85E5-3D7F35E79E9A.jpg (200.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 12-27-2022, 01:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
New addition
Even though the baseball looks like a basketball, at least the felt is triangular.