NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-11-2022, 06:34 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Thanks Rob. I am aware of Americana Memories, as they have a large on-line presence and on Etsy too. I didn't realize either they have an actual store. That would be cool to visit if I find myself in the area someday - like you said, they have some very healthy prices!

BTW, looking at the picture you sent, I am not a fan of seeing pennants sitting out in the sun like that. I've seen how the older pennants can fade considerably over time, if exposed to sun.
Yeah...When I saw the picture I was even more blown away that he had pennants sitting outside his store. I had to see where that was. Couldn't do that in Houston. Branford is a relatively wealthy community down on the CT shoreline. Not much in the way of crime there. Finding people with money won't be difficult, but enough pennant collectors to keep a store open?
Old 04-11-2022, 06:58 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Yeah...When I saw the picture I was even more blown away that he had pennants sitting outside his store. I had to see where that was. Couldn't do that in Houston. Branford is a relatively wealthy community down on the CT shoreline. Not much in the way of crime there. Finding people with money won't be difficult, but enough pennant collectors to keep a store open?
yeah...kinda reminded me a little bit of the old "National Pastime" store in Cooperstown..ever seen that? A lot of museum quality stuff, but not sure much of it ever sold.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:56 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
......Given the extensive amount of smoking that took place then, it would be very quick and easy for a student to amass 25 coupons.

Here's a piece on one of the typical smokers that happened at Cornell (there were many throughout the year), where 1,200 cans of tobacco and 30,000 Fatima cigarettes were donated by the American Tobacco Company - they had their hooks into all these students.
Thought I would share one of the elaborate pipes given out to students at a 1902 Sophomore Smoker, for those interested. This isn't mine but belongs to a friend of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A5BA33B6-8DEF-47F7-8757-252614DF53FF_1_201_a.jpg (194.0 KB, 436 views)
Old 04-14-2022, 05:14 PM
Marc

Something about the red tassels made me buy it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY GIants champs teal.jpg (70.8 KB, 413 views)
Old 04-14-2022, 07:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I LOVE pennants like that (with non-matching tassels). Awesome contrast, and seems like this 3/4 style of pennant had its heyday in the late '40s - early '50s.

Nice pickup Marc!
Old 04-15-2022, 05:58 AM
Rob

Quote:
Much more vibrant than my example, even after dyeing, and I see what you mean about the red tassels.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:35 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Marc,
I like these pennants a lot. I think they’re under appreciated because with the Yankees, Dodgers, and Giants they were common from the 1930’s up to the 50’s as they were undated. Despite being undated, I still like them. I like the graphics and the colors. I personally collect Yankees so there’s lots of different nuances over the years. Nice pick up.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:41 AM
Rob

Quote:
You should give this one a prominent position around the Christmas tree each December. Would also look great in one of the many Mexican restaurants in our area.

Sorry...Just kidding. My wife is Mexican and I'm sensitive to red white and green ever since she hung up red, white and green Christmas lights outside and our neighbors told us it looked like a Mexican restaurant opened in the neighborhood. Now we just do red and green.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:04 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I LOVE pennants like that (with non-matching tassels). Awesome contrast, and seems like this 3/4 style of pennant had its heyday in the late '40s - early '50s.

Nice pickup Marc!
Very nice. This seems to be that mystery NYC area company with the very unique spine material. So hard to find one with no fading.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:03 AM
Marc

Thanks, guys. The Giants pennant is in really nice shape. I'm glad to have it.

I also picked up the 49ers pennant on the bottom, from Fballguy. I thought it was the same color (but better condition) as my other one, but I think that maybe it is a different color, which is nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6792.jpg (167.2 KB, 394 views)
Old 04-15-2022, 03:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
You should give this one a prominent position around the Christmas tree each December. Would also look great in one of the many Mexican restaurants in our area.

Sorry...Just kidding. My wife is Mexican and I'm sensitive to red white and green ever since she hung up red, white and green Christmas lights outside and our neighbors told us it looked like a Mexican restaurant opened in the neighborhood. Now we just do red and green.
El Tri!
Old 04-15-2022, 04:12 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
El Tri!
There is actually an El Tri restaurant in Marc's town.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:25 AM

Did anyone see the St. Louis Federal League pennant on eBay a few weeks ago? Had opening bid of $3K and BIN for $6K. Went unsold. Offered him a lot less but still a good chunk and he relisted and accepted. And that was the last I heard from him. eBay did resolve this with their guarantee so that’s good, but unfortunately there is some guy out there who literally stole money … unless eBay somehow got it back from him.

Anyone see this?
Old 04-19-2022, 08:20 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Did anyone see the St. Louis Federal League pennant on eBay a few weeks ago? Had opening bid of $3K and BIN for $6K. Went unsold. Offered him a lot less but still a good chunk and he relisted and accepted. And that was the last I heard from him. eBay did resolve this with their guarantee so that’s good, but unfortunately there is some guy out there who literally stole money … unless eBay somehow got it back from him.

Anyone see this?
This one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87FB8FC9-6B3D-43DF-9BF7-01E9D0B8B61D.jpg (123.7 KB, 401 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 04-19-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
This one?
Yep that one
Old 04-22-2022, 07:52 AM
Rob

To tell you the truth, Greg, I think you dodged a bullet…that Feds pennant has very little of what JR likes to call “eye appeal.” That’s my opinion
Old 04-22-2022, 09:16 AM
Rob

Quote:
To tell you the truth, Greg, I think you dodged a bullet…that Feds pennant has very little of what JR likes to call “eye appeal.” That’s my opinion
Eye appeal is the only thing that matters about a pennant. If it doesn't have that, what does it have?
Old 04-22-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya. I mainly collect to display, but I always wanted a Federal League pennant which usually go for a lot more. Way more. Of course they are also much more pleasing aesthetically. So yeah I’m good either way. I’m a little disgusted that it led to me sitting out a Huggins auction for a 1910s Phillies which ended up going much lower than expected.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:08 PM

Picked up this ca. 1962-65 Los Angeles Angels "Chavez Ravine" stadium pennant by Trench, last month. It features the exact same ballpark artwork used for its Los Angeles Dodgers "Dodger Stadium" companion from the same era; with the addition of an angelic mascot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-04-25 215151.jpg (179.7 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-04-25 215231.jpg (178.0 KB, 347 views)
Old 04-25-2022, 11:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Awesome pickup Kyle! That one is surprisingly tough, and very cool image, IMHO. It just screams '60s.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Picked up this ca. 1962-65 Los Angeles Angels "Chavez Ravine" stadium pennant by Trench, last month. It features the exact same ballpark artwork used for its Los Angeles Dodgers "Dodger Stadium" companion from the same era; with the addition of an angelic mascot.
A great pennant for sure. Love the Angel graphic. Like Mark says it has that cool 1960s style cartoon art (similar to the Twins and Vikings “Grain Belt” pennants.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:58 AM
Gary

That Angels pennant is very nice. IMO, the eye appeal on the Angels pennants is generally better than most clubs.

I had this one arrive in the mail yesterday. I only have a couple of football pennants but the price was right (despite a few holes near the tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220427_184937.jpg (208.4 KB, 322 views)
Old 04-30-2022, 04:51 PM
Rick

Seems like a slow news day here on the pennant thread so thought I would post the following. I've been speaking to the curator for the Jackie Robinson Museum in New York about loaning them some items from my collection, and decided to loan them the pennant below (I've posted a photo of this pennant before) for display alongside other Jackie Robinson barnstorming items they have. They will probably borrow other items from my collection when they next rotate their displays. I've loaned out Koufax items before to some museums as well as to Dodger Stadium, but this is my first time loaning out anything Jackie. I'm hoping to get to see the museum when I go to NY for a wedding in July.

Rick

1953 Jackie Robinson all-star resized.jpg
Old 04-30-2022, 05:11 PM
Gary

That's one heck of a beautiful pennant. Please post pictures of the museum, if you can, when you visit.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:18 PM

Default Looking for Baseball All Star Pennants 1960-1974

Hi. Looking for Baseball All Star Pennants

Years needed:

1963 with Brooks Robinson name
1964 with Brooks Robinson name
1967 with Brooks Robinson name
1968 with Brooks Robinson name
1969 with Brooks Robinson name
1973 with Brooks Robinson name
1974 with Brooks Robinson name
Old 04-30-2022, 05:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Seems like a slow news day here on the pennant thread so thought I would post the following. I've been speaking to the curator for the Jackie Robinson Museum in New York about loaning them some items from my collection, and decided to loan them the pennant below (I've posted a photo of this pennant before) for display alongside other Jackie Robinson barnstorming items they have. They will probably borrow other items from my collection when they next rotate their displays. I've loaned out Koufax items before to some museums as well as to Dodger Stadium, but this is my first time loaning out anything Jackie. I'm hoping to get to see the museum when I go to NY for a wedding in July.

Rick

Attachment 514654
You’re definitely the guy to go to for museum quality Dodgers stuff!
Old 04-30-2022, 05:48 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
That's one heck of a beautiful pennant. Please post pictures of the museum, if you can, when you visit.
Will do. I plan on asking for a photo of the display just in case I don't make it there.

Quote:
You’re definitely the guy to go to for museum quality Dodgers stuff!
Rob, a lot of guys have me beat by a mile, and Gary Cypres' Dodger collection is so large that he has his own museum with thousands of square feet dedicated to the Dodgers. But I do have some unique items, and I get a kick out of seeing them on display somewhere other than my own home.

Rick
Old 05-01-2022, 03:48 PM
Marc

Here are two recent pickups.

This is now my third different version of this Santa Clara pennant (they differ in font, material, color). I have seen each version only once in 20+ years, so I'm glad to get it. This one is cloth.

Does anyone know if the W mark is the same company as the one that used the WC mark on other west coast pennants? (West Coast Novelty... I think). Or maybe that really is not a W? (between the Bronco and spine)

The second is an Adflag NY Giants pennant that doesn't usually come with as much color, so I decided to add it to the collection even with the nip at the top of the spine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC Bronco W.jpg (59.6 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg NY Giants painted.jpg (112.7 KB, 273 views)
Old 05-02-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:

This is now my third different version of this Santa Clara pennant (they differ in font, material, color). I have seen each version only once in 20+ years, so I'm glad to get it. This one is cloth.

Does anyone know if the W mark is the same company as the one that used the WC mark on other west coast pennants? (West Coast Novelty... I think). Or maybe that really is not a W? (between the Bronco and spine)

The second is an Adflag NY Giants pennant that doesn't usually come with as much color, so I decided to add it to the collection even with the nip at the top of the spine.
SC pennant is beautiful, Marc!!!
Old 05-02-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Marc, I don't believe your "W" is a mark at all. I believe the artist is trying to illustrate the movement of your bronco, is all.

The "WC" mark we once discussed was a concessionaire's mark for West Coast Novelty, and although the mark differed in appearances from pennant to pennant, in all cases the "W" and "C" were very clear.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:46 PM
Rob

Love the SC pennant, Marc! I kinda agree with Kyle on the “W”….and kinda don’t
Old 05-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Marc

The W must be shock waves from his abs flexing.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:54 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The "W" is just lines of motion, like the two white lines directly above, and the three white lines beneath his back left leg. Cool pennant!

Last edited by perezfan; 05-03-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:39 AM

Super jazzed about the acquisition from “pennantdynasty” who is an awesome eBay seller. Been looking for this forever. Strangely this seems rarer than the sister Brooklyn pennant. I’ve only seen it once before. There may be a version without the year. Anyway I’m also happy with the condition. Right up on the wall it goes. Interesting how the manager is listed differently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10C6BADB-6720-49CE-A757-5F1329DE6F56.jpg (261.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 6FD84D16-BBD0-46FF-8357-C087B1E98D82.jpg (213.7 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 05-05-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:15 PM
Rob

Great pennant, Greg!

I agree….pennantdynasty is a great seller.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:00 AM
Erik

Default Hey, pennant guys

Quote:
Great pennant, Greg!

Greg and Marc - both great recent pickups!

Pennantdynasty is great - would love to see his collection and full inventory!

Last edited by erikc21; 05-07-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Great pennant, Greg!

+1 agree great collection and selection

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Rob

Just saw this on ebay. Canteen Corp.? Maker or concessionaire?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (106.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Just saw this on ebay. Canteen Corp.? Maker or concessionaire?
Canteen = concessionaire. And, for the most part, I've only seen their marks on Trench-made pennants. But this one doesn't really scream Trench to me ... so perhaps someone else made it?
Old 05-11-2022, 06:03 AM
Rob

Quote:
Canteen = concessionaire. And, for the most part, I've only seen their marks on Trench-made pennants. But this one doesn't really scream Trench to me ... so perhaps someone else made it?
I knew we could count on you, Kyle. JR had this listed as “first year Texas Rangers” 1972.

Are we getting closer to new content on your blog? :fingers_crossed:
Old 05-11-2022, 06:35 AM
Rob

Quote:
Not sure I've seen Canteen Corp on a baseball pennant before. Mainly football helmet pennants. Anyone seen others?
Old 05-11-2022, 11:55 PM

If the pennant was truly made ca. 1972 and for the AL Texas Rangers, and by a company like Trench, then I'd expect to see an MLB logo on it indicating that the product was officially licensed; as you'd expect to find on other Trench (or ASCO) pennants made post-1969.

Maybe this was was made in 1971 or earlier, when the Dallas-Ft. Worth-Arlington area was trying to lure an existing franchise their way? That might explain why it wasn't an officially sanctioned pennant by MLB.

It almost resembles more of a 1950s or 60s-era look, doesn't it?
Old 05-13-2022, 09:58 AM

Anyone get that oversized Pirates pennant? (Top one, below, went for about a grand on eBay.) I’m intrigued by these, have written about them before. I’ve seen three different Pirates versions now. Could it be the first pennant “series”?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E5C878ED-9AD1-4FE6-8A0C-FBEEA6B7D6B9.jpg (86.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 099AA518-9242-4B51-9C22-6E53AF0CD6FD.jpg (46.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 2E09B7AB-5A97-4B6F-AE48-F13D323230EB.jpg (105.7 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 05-13-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:33 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I was the runner-up. I had a half-ass snipe (just below $1K) simply because I could not be positive it's actually a Pirates Pennant. It could easily (and perhaps more likely) be a Pittsburgh Univerity Pennant...

I like yours, Greg, because it says "Pirates" instead of Pittsburgh. Also, yours appears to be black and gold (not blue and gold). The Pirates never used blue as one of their colors, and were always black and gold. The University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) on the other hand, traditionally has blue and gold colors (just like the eBay pennant).

So why would they make one that says "Pirates" and another that says "Pittsburgh"? There's a similar example from this same series... One says "Cubs" and the other says "Chicago". The "Chicago" version has maroon and white felt, just like Chicago University. All of this makes me doubt whether the eBay example was truly a Pirates Pennant. So in retrospect, I'm kinda glad I was the under-bidder.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:25 PM

That Chicago pennant is in a Hunt auction right now. Last year it didn’t sell, was advertised as either U of Chicago or Sox or Cubs. This time around, no mention of possible team, and it’s getting bids.

I still gotta believe it’s a Pirate pennant. But the little bit of doubt does detract. The other Pittsburgh pennant went for $1900 and change in Heritage.

The Tigers leather tiger head pennant is still the Holy Grail ..
Old 05-13-2022, 03:45 PM
Rob

Good stuff, Heavy Hitters!
Old 05-14-2022, 01:55 PM
Gary

Love those Pirates pennants.

Did anyone see this one from CleanSweep's April auction? I wasn't sure what to think about it. Anybody here pick it up?

https://www.cleansweepauctions.com/i...tem=0000740349

-----------
G@ry G0ldb3rg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg con103131.jpg (84.9 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by UKCardGuy; 05-14-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:01 AM
Marc

Ok, I'm just going to ask because I can't stop myself for thinking it, but have any of these pennants you guys are showing (with the leather) ever shown up in beat to hell condition? They all seem really nice. Almost new. Which seems.... uncomfortable.

I do know that leather stuff can survive well. As an example, the Santa Clara pennant below in looks like new condition. But I also have one that shows some age. I guess I'd expect to see more of these of the baseball pennants.

I don't watch these pennant closely when they come up for sale, so admit that I am no expert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC leather nice.jpg (69.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg SC leather worn.jpg (67.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-15-2022, 12:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Ok, I'm just going to ask because I can't stop myself for thinking it, but have any of these pennants you guys are showing (with the leather) ever shown up in beat to hell condition? They all seem really nice. Almost new. Which seems.... uncomfortable.

I do know that leather stuff can survive well. As an example, the Santa Clara pennant below in looks like new condition. But I also have one that shows some age. I guess I'd expect to see more of these of the baseball pennants.

I don't watch these pennant closely when they come up for sale, so admit that I am no expert.
Though they don't surface often, I've seen plenty of beat-up examples over the years. I usually pass on them because I'm a condition freak. But I have seen (and owned) examples that are moth-eaten, stained, soiled, torn, missing felt, and have holes, slits, etc. I've also seen a few where the embroidered leather has peeled off and either remains loose or has been glued back on to the felt.

You can easily tell the difference between a vintage example and a reproduction when you have them in-hand. And great Santa Clara Pennants, BTW!

Last edited by perezfan; 05-15-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Love those Pirates pennants.

Did anyone see this one from CleanSweep's April auction? I wasn't sure what to think about it. Anybody here pick it up?

https://www.cleansweepauctions.com/i...tem=0000740349

-----------
G@ry G0ldb3rg
Oh man … I wish it was me … and what a bargain!