NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Default The Only NY Giants That We Should Be Talking About

Posted By: T206Collector

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about the Super Bowl outcome, but if you want to discuss it, find a football forum. If you want to talk about the World Champion New York Giants on here, I don't even want to hear about the post-war 1954 Championship team. Instead, I want to hear about:

The 1933 World Series champions... or...
The 1922 World Series champions... or...
The 1921 World Series champions... or...

Or, my personal favorite -- Matty's only World Championship --

The 1905 New York Giants!

Let's see your 1905 champions here!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Old 02-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Paul,

Fun topic, and I would not mind participating. However, let's cease pre-war or any baseball snobbery. Last nights win was a monumental upset in sports history and should be relavent on any sports related board. I don't like any New York or Boston team (call it the Baltimore inferiority complex) but can't deny the heart that the winning team displayed last night.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Snobbery has nothing to do with it. I strongly feel that current topics -- sports, politics, whatever -- only dilute the value of this Board. Keep it on point, or keep moving to an appropriate forum.

Oh, and I'm a big New York Giants football fan (as opposed to a Pats fan, or anti-New York fan), which is why I think I actually have credibility to make this point.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

The Super Bowl, especially when played with 2 teams from the megalopolis and with one of them going for an 19-0 season, is a major topic that may even transcend pre-war cards. I do agree, that the primary focus of this board should be pre-war cards and things related to pre-war but an occassional stretch into an off-topic subject is not the end of the world.
But I like this thread, so instead of further hi-jacking, I agree with this concept -- SHOW YOUR FAVORITE Pre-War NY Giants cards; in fact; lets see how many different players from the Giants we can feature

Regards
Rich

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator

MGR John McGraw
C Roger Bresnahan
1B Dan McGann
2B Billy Gilbert
3B Art Devlin
SS Bill Dahlen
OF Mike Donlin
OF Sam Mertes
OF George Browne
Frank Bowerman
Sammy Strang
Boileryard Clarke
Offa Neal
Bob Hall
Moonlight Graham

P Christy Mathewson
P Joe McGinnity
P Red Ames
P Hooks Wiltse
P Dummy Taylor
P Claude Elliott

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

As a Pats fan, I have to agree

Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

And earlier still:

Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Paul,

Even though I contributed somewhat to the NY Giants super bowl thread, I happen to agree with you - off topic posts significantly dilute the value of this board. I tried to raise the issue in my thread on RIP posts, but got nowhere. As a result, I will simply spend a little less time here and a little more time on the other board which is much more focused, but unfortunately not as active.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Randy Trierweiler

JK, I visit the "other board" once a week to catch up on all the posts there. I wouldn't say there are less OT posts over there. Just glancing this afternoon, they have threads about 1. Santana trade 2. Funny beer names 3. A Superbowl prediction thread, 4. A perfect game of bowling for a member (Congrats Lee).

I know OT bother some folks more than others, they really don't bother me. I just think they are hard to avoid sometimes, regardless of the board. Randy

Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Randy - true, but there are no OT posts on the main "hobby" board. There are links to a separate board/area for OT discussions, that, to be honest, I never look at. I would have no problem with OT posts if they were segregated here as well.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron Patton

Steve, those Ullman's are absolutely incredible.

The McGinnity is gorgeous.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: H Murphy

As A Pats homer,prewar collector, and big sports fan I see no problem with having a Super Bowl thread on this board. Rarely does the game equal the hype, that was sports history to be made one way or the other.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I see nothing wrong with discussing yesterday's game. I am not oppossed to the off topic threads as long as the board maintains its general focus (which it has mangaed to do for seven years).

And Paul, your statement about being a big Giants fan doesn't exactly mesh with your quote from a little more than one year ago:

"Football is stupid and meaningless. Take out the alcohol, the gambling and the commercials, and you have a meaningless, boring sport for the uncomfortably big, unhealthy unwashed.

I hate football."

I guess I should be counted amongst the unwashed.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

"When I've seen what's happened to Fred, I wish I never got that hit" -- Al Bridwell

Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Yes...a meaningless boring sport! I guess that's why pro football ratings dwarf major league baseball. Talk about a slow, boring sport....

And count me as unwashed as well! Ah, if only I had more class, education and refinement I could be a modern baseball fan. Or cricket!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Old 02-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Edited to add I will send my comments on this issue to the people by e-mail. I don't want this to be anything more than a thread for the NY baseball giants pre-war.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I'm all for staying on topic. However, a game like that only comes around once in awhile, & it deserves to be talked about. I'm sure it made some board members very happy, & some not so much. That was a fun game to watch.

Hey Steve- Great Ullmans !

Old 02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think the board is fine the way it is. We have primarily card related topics and a couple of threads that are sports related and off topic.

On Saturday I asked a good question about the dating of Boston Garters and only a single board member responded. I would like to lodge a complaint that not enough people cared to answer my question.

In the end who cares. People complaining about off topic is becoming tiresome too. It's always going to be there unless Leon decides to delete the threads, and he won't. If you don't want to talk football just go to a thread that interests you.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's the Super Bowl for gosh sakes. As I have previously stated I don't think a little off topic is bad. I don't want to make a seperate forum for off topic at this point. It will be monitored as always. Please don't open a thread if the title annoys you or you aren't interested. I believe, right or wrong, that some off topic brings board members closer. I know I enjoy some of it. regards

Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

The Giants win the pennant!

Phoenix, Jan. 2008

Oops. Feb.

I'll bet Bobby Thomson is proud of Eli.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Every once in a while someone takes the board to task on the matter of off-topic posts. Paul is not the first, and probably won't be the last. Paul and I had a nice exchange of e-mails recently and he impressed me as a good guy; his website is a terrific contribution to the Hobby as well. It pains me to observe that I think he is peeing into the wind. To me this board is a community of friends, and part of knowing each other necessitates going beyond its specific focus. I think Leon does a careful job of striking a balance between off- and on-topic posts so that the goal of the board to focus on pre-war vintage stuff is met whilst folks can relate as real people, too.

Anyway, helluva fourth quarter yesterday. And, how about them '33 Giants!

PS. Ditto on those Ullman pc's. Really nice!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

On its way...

Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about the Super Bowl outcome, but if you want to discuss it, find a football forum. If you want to talk about the World Champion New York Giants on here, I don't even want to hear about the post-war 1954 Championship team. Instead, I want to hear about..."

T206 (Paul)-

this is a pretty arrogant/brazen post, wouldn't you say? last night's game was of epic proportions, regardless, even if it was a boring game or a blow-out, if someone wants to have an O/T thread to discuss a game as important as the Superbowl, who are you to say they can't? if Leon is fine with it, you should be too...

not cool.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Considering all the OT's we have had, this game cetainly deserves a spot here. One of the biggest upsets ever posted by one of our city's teams. Right up there with the 69 Mets and the 69 Jets.

Frank

Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Mike well said I agree 100% I don’t think anything has been really that OT here, no more than usual..

Paul are things slow over at the ol’www.T206collector.com? In fact no need to worry about this forum; you have your own forum now. Heck you can even do a daily blog about how much OT posts about Super Bowls bum you out?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Administrator

I certainly wasn't doing anything more than trying to drum up interest in the 1905 World Champion NY Giants. I wasn't taking any digs or complaining about OT posts in anything more than a general sense. But to call such a concept as using the Super Bowl as an opportunity to highlight the 1905 Giants as "uncool" or to tell me to go blog about it--well is disappointing to say the least.

If you want to use this thread as another bickering about OT vs not OT, be my guest. The irony is that that would be off topic. And all i wanted to see was some 1905 Giants. Heck, i even gave you the roster to try to keep it going

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

paul- you're back-pedaling now...you set the tone of the thread from your very first words...

"...but if you want to discuss it, find a football forum. If you want to talk about the World Champion New York Giants on here, I don't even want to hear about the post-war 1954 Championship team. Instead, I want to hear about..."

spin it how you want, but your words sound pretty condiscending to me...

Old 02-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have no issue with Paul, or anyone, voicing concerns over things on the board. All of you guys need to chill a little sometimes.....It's cardboard. Get over it. Have some fun as we are all friends..... regards

Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Administrator

...that people that try to return the focus to pre-war cards -- even with a little attitude -- would not be villified.

MVSNYC -- you have lately been interested in discussing my comments on this board, but I have no idea how to e-mail you. You log in anonymously. If you'd like to share your opinions about me, please send me an e-mail or at least let me e-mail you.

My comments were not condescending -- they were obnoxious. I am happy to stand by them as obnoxious and even rude to people who like to write OT posts. But sheesh -- they were hardly condescending, let alone to anyone specific, and only an attempt to use the Super Bowl to generate interest in 1905 Giants baseball cards, which are actually on topic on this Board.

If you can get slammed for trying to introduce a topic on the 1905 New York Giants -- even for doing it obnoxiously -- then this Board has lost more of its focus than I had previously feared.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

sorry, i've been busy today. just checking my mail now...

Paul- i do not sign-in anonymously. most people know who i am...the only people who have my email, are people that i want to have my email, if you want it, i'll give it to you...i have no problem with you at all, i just thought your post came off as being, well as you said, "obnoxious"...that's all, no biggie.

no hard feelings, let's move on.

be well
Michael Sarno

Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Almost Champions, the 1923 New York Giants, a Baseball Magazine premium, M114. Lots of Hall of Famers...