NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Default Gout?

anyone here have the Gout? Let me tell you it sucks.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Jake

Didn't I read somewhere you were under 40.

Thought that was an older person disease.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I'm 41 and I've had it twice. The first time was about 5 years ago and then again about 3 years ago. I don't think they know exactly what causes it. They say it can be caused by your diet, but I hadn't eaten any of the things listed to be a cause.

A doctor told me that mine was due to a foot injury each time. The first time I had it, I tripped over one of those parking lot cement blocks. I didn't think anything of it and didn't have any pain until I woke up the next morning. I couldn't even get out of bed. It hurt so bad, just the weight of a sheet lying on top of my foot hurt extremely bad. I was given some anti-inflammatories and the pain subsided within a couple of days. The other time I jumped off the back of a truck. I didn't land awkward or anything. Again, I didn't think anything of it until I woke up the next morning. I had some of the anti-inflammatories left, took some and the pain was gone again in a couple of days. Both times it was my left foot.

I've had a lot of different types of pain in my life, but nothing ever hurt worse than gout. Not even close.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 PM
John

Default gout

I had it in my right ankle about three years it was so painful i missed three days of work.

Gout happens when you have a high level of Uric acid.
You have to go to a doctor and they usually prescribe Colchine.

good luck,

john
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Todd Schultz

I've had it for nearly 20 years. There is no cure as such, but it is manageable. If it becomes acute they can give you medicine taken daily for preventative purposes--allopurinol. Otherwise they prescribe colchecine or indomethacine if you're having a gout attack, steroids such as prednizone if it's really severe. If you can't get to the doc, load up on ibuprofen.
Beer and organ meats exacerbate the situation, the latter popping up all over the place in gravies, broths/soups and sausages. A buddy bought me a polish sausage at the Dbacks game Tuesday without my asking. I ate it gratefully, but popped my pills as soon as I got home because that often triggers an attack for me. Drink LOTS of water if you're stricken--it helps you pee frequently (duh) and thus more uric acid is expelled.

I have friends who have had one or two gout attacks in their lives but don't seem to suffer otherwise. Anyone who has had a gout attack, even one, will tell you that the pain is excruciating--any contact with the afflicted area--even by a bedsheet--causes immense pain. I've had it in parts of each foot--it usually hits first-timers in the big toe--the elbows, wrists and hands. I've been lucky to avoid it in the knees or hips. Upper body is preferable, since otherwise it really screws up your gait and causes the rest of your lower body to adapt and take strain. I've had it stay with me for as long as three weeks, even with medication. I don't take the preventative allopurinol just yet because I refuse to take daily medicine for something that hits me only about three times a year now, but that may change. Some of the meds are hard on the kidneys and could lead to kidney stones, so obviously tell your doctor if you or your family has a history of those kinds of problems.

Peter S.-- if you're reading, I'm not putting this on my facebook page or twitter--this is an exclusive to Net54, to all my followers who I feel must know everything about my life
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM

I have gout although I'm only 40. Had my first attack almost 2 years ago, out of the blue woke up with a painfully swollen knee and couldn't walk.

I tried alleviating it naturally for several months by changing my diet and taking celery seed extract. But every couple of weeks I'd have another debilitating attack in either one of my knees or feet. Can be extremely painful.

Had enough of that so now I've been taking Allupurinol daily for over a year. I'm not a fan of prescription meds, but I haven't had any major attacks or side effects since then. And I can drink beer and eat sardines.

But yes, gout definitely sucks.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Dan Brown

My wife had gout when she was 30(11 years ago). She doesn't drink beer or wine and seldom drinks at all. The doctor gave her medication, at the time she was eating at least 3 large chocolate chip bagels every day. I told her to stop eating them, she did and her gout went away. She has never eaten another bagel since and has never had gout since.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Todd Schultz

Hey Dan whatever works but yours is a very unusual case. Gout seldom hits women, and those it does are almost all elderly. Moreover, the grains in most bagels are actually healthy from a gout perspective and chocolate is not only not a trigger, but is considered by some to be at least minimally curative (dark chocolate anyway).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Didn't I read somewhere you were under 40.

Thought that was an older person disease.
yep im going to be 39 in a few days, and i have had it for about 10 years, at least. And I know alot of guys in their 30-40's that have it. Just aweful when it acts up.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I'm 41 and I've had it twice. The first time was about 5 years ago and then again about 3 years ago. I don't think they know exactly what causes it. They say it can be caused by your diet, but I hadn't eaten any of the things listed to be a cause.

A doctor told me that mine was due to a foot injury each time. The first time I had it, I tripped over one of those parking lot cement blocks. I didn't think anything of it and didn't have any pain until I woke up the next morning. I couldn't even get out of bed. It hurt so bad, just the weight of a sheet lying on top of my foot hurt extremely bad. I was given some anti-inflammatories and the pain subsided within a couple of days. The other time I jumped off the back of a truck. I didn't land awkward or anything. Again, I didn't think anything of it until I woke up the next morning. I had some of the anti-inflammatories left, took some and the pain was gone again in a couple of days. Both times it was my left foot.

I've had a lot of different types of pain in my life, but nothing ever hurt worse than gout. Not even close.
it is caused by diet and what you eat and drink, its your body that cant break down certain foods, (uric acid) basicly it turns to sand (crystals) and falls in between your joints. Could be in you toes, foot, fingers, ancle etc. Also causes kidney stones. Meat, shell fish, booz, nuts, as well as many vegies that contribute to it. Also being dehydrated, can cause the gout. FYI once you have it, thats it, it never really "goes away" your just inbetween attacks. Its actually a form of arthritus, but I always try to explain it as a "food alergy" as its your body that can break down the uric acid.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I don't take the preventative allopurinol just yet because I refuse to take daily medicine for something that hits me only about three times a year now, but that may change.
same here, im not doing that every day yet, i get it about 1-2 times a year bad, but a few times that i can deal with with no prob.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 AM

My neighbor in his later 50s has it in his feet. He hobbles around and once in a while needs a wheel chair. If you saw him walking down the sidewalk and didn't know him you'd think he's a drunk. Luckily, we live in a tight urban neighborhood where where the restaurant, vet, doctor, supermarket et al are within a few blocks of each other, so he can get around the neighborhood if slowly. He's a big baseball fan.

Last edited by drc; 04-05-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Daniel Elsass

Folks,

I use a TENS unit (electro-stimulation therapy) for a lot of things, particularily for muscle aches post-workout.

When I saw this thread, I remembered hearing from a friend of mine that suffered from gout that he used his TENS unit and it really helped him relieve the pain and it is all natural.

Did a quick google on "gout" and "tens unit" and sure enough = results.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14...-tens-machine/

http://www.goutpal.com/1572/tens-pain-relief-machines/

Like I was saying, these things are great for all kind of things. Worth looking in to and not that expensive, no drugs involved, and helps build muscle definition as well.

Take care, I hope this was helpful to someone. Dan

Last edited by Il Padrino; 04-08-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
Folks,

I use a TENS unit (electro-stimulation therapy) for a lot of things, particularily for muscle aches post-workout.

When I saw this thread, I remembered hearing from a friend of mine that suffered from gout that he used his TENS unit and it really helped him relieve the pain and it is all natural.

Like I was saying, these things are great for all kind of things. Worth looking in to and not that expensive, no drugs involved, and helps build muscle definition as well.

I do not have gout but my elderly mother gets it from time to time. From what I know of it I cant help but think that this TENS unit might not work because anything touching her skin in the affected area would send pain shooting every where. Since these electrodes (for lack of a better word) need to be placed on the skin I cant help but think it might be more painful that helpful. I guess all cases are different and this is certainly something to look into.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM

Default Ahhh The Dreaded Gout !!!!!!!!!!! My Story !

Morning,

Gout is also herditary, I have it, my Brothers both have it, my Father had it. I was diagnosed at age 28 because of what I thought was a spider bite on my big toe. The attacks I had throughout my early 30's were some of the worst, totally debilitating, like someone was hammering on your toe with a hammer. Missed work for days sometimes. In my latter 30's it started migrating around and affected my ankles and occasionally my knees. This was also the honeymoon period where it became more a minor nuisance than a full blown disability, I was down to 1-2 attacks per year.

The early 40's it roared back with a passion, but now it was a Knee issue, sometimes fluid forming to the point of having to get it drained. This is when I started the daily allipurinol about age 45.

It settled down again in my late 40's, to a dull roar, once or twice a year until I was about 50. I am now 56 and after adjusting my Allipurinol intake several times to 450 milligrams per day I am going on three years this stretch with out an attack...Knock on wood !!

Lifestyle changes are the biggest way to deal with Gout....Don't drink Beer, since that isn't going to happen for me, only if they can pry my Beer out of my cold dead hand, I have found other ways. I only eat red meat about once a month, pork/chicken for me. Food for me doen't seem to be that big of a incitement like it is for some, nor is alcohol.....I have been dealing with this for going on 30 years and what is a trigger one time will not be the next, sometimes there really is no rhyme or reason, sometimes its obvious such as my Honeymoon week long cruise 12 years ago where I drank almost everyday for a week, (Hard Liquor), and had one of the worst attacks I've ever had, got off a plane in Denver and went straight to the Hospital to get my knee drained.

Indomethicane (Indicin) is about one of the nastiest side affects drugs you can take and although I have a prescription sitting in the medicine cabinet, I have not touched any in 5-6 years.

Colchisine is just about as bad with side affects, for me at least, although some people tolerate it with almost no side affects....which I don't understand, but it is what it is!

Predisone is your friend, at the slightest hint of a Gout attack (About once a year) I start the regimen and don't have a full blown attack. Predisone is nasty as well though, it is a Steroid and suppresses your Immune System, so it should be taken as seldom as possible. One.twice a year is not a concern as there are people with Gout so bad they have to take this for months on end...And that is really bad on your body!

Gout is so interrelatd with Arthritus that some attacke are refered to as Gouty Arthritus, where one ends and the other begins all depends on who you ask the question of. 10 Doctors will give you 10 variances of the same answer. There are a lot of times no clear answers, although there are good indicators that work sometimes, but taken with a grain of salt. My Uric Acid Blood tests have been in the totally acceptable range when I was having a bad attack, and through the roof when nothing was going on! Go figure !!!

Gout is with you forever, there is no cure but with proper management its just another facet of your body!!

PM me if you have any questions, I have dealt with this for going on 30 years and have done some pretty extensive research as well!!

Neil
Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

ok, so after too many attacks so far this year i decided to take alloprolinall (or however its spelled) I have heard great things from friends who take it. BUT just an FYI for anyone else who may be about to do the same thing. The drug actually desolves the crystals, so in turn once the drug begins to work you may , and probably will have a bad attack. Due to the drug desolving the large crystals that are already in your system, but not nessasarly causing you pain. ie some that are stuck in some cartlage not in a joint. So when it begins to desolve the large crystal it can break free from where it was (not hurting you) and slide into a joint and just cripple you. um like i am right now.

Apparantly its very common so prepare to take some time off if you deside to take it. Hoping this is the last time though, these pills are supposed to be good and make your body have much less uric acid if any.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Todd Schultz

Well I see I last posted on this topic April 4. On April 9 I got an attack in my left wrist/hand then elbow. I still have it in my elbow--have the grip strength of about a 12 year old girl. My own fault though-ran out of meds in April and just thought I'd tough it out with ibuprofen until it naturally went away. Time to re-think that.

DO NOT TAKE allopruinol while you're having a gout attack--as you noted, it will make it worse. My doctors have always told m to wait until it's cleared up through the regular meds--indomethacin/colchecine or prednizone if severe--then take it.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Banned

If you are from the Borscht belt it doesn't help.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 AM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

As a diabetic I get gout a couple of times a year. My uric acid tends to run high and I never know when it's going to flare up. In the past my doctor prescribed Indomethican. For some reason it didn't work during my last episode so he tried me on Colcrys. I only had to take three pills and I was walking fine, almost pain free, with some stiffness in about a day and a half.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 AM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

The worst is when I get it in my left hip, which thank god doesn't happen often. I already have moderate osteoarthritis with damage to the head of the femur and the last time I got it there I was practically bedridden. I heard that gout can also be hereditary, which would make sense as my grandfather suffered with it for years.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Hey guys, I've had gout for about 10 years. Allopuinol each day and Cholcrys (sp?) during attacks have worked wonders for me. No major flair ups in almost 3 years. It took 7 years and a lot of bad attacks before my Dr had it all figured out (prednisone and all the other meds did not seem to help me). Had one two week flair up that eventually had me admitted to the hospital for 3 days as Dr's just figured it had to be something else. Worst pain I've ever felt. Thank you modern science!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
Folks,

I know this is late but I Have a TENS unit from when I had my knee reconstructed... I don't have the wires or pads anymore but I'm sure you can get those cheap... originally cost me a few hundred... if anyone wants to try it out give me a shout and I can ship it to you, I'm sure you can get wires+ pads online....