NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-03-2020, 10:05 AM
Mike Magee

Good afternoon Alan, I love that collection of photos. Do you have the Van Heusen Paul Blair promotional photo as well? That one has been on my want list for a long time.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good afternoon Alan, I love that collection of photos. Do you have the Van Heusen Paul Blair promotional photo as well? That one has been on my want list for a long time.
No. Jim Palmer is the only Van Heusen photo I have. They don't show up very often. I did find this Paul Blair from Sears Homelife.

Blair, Paul (Sears Homelife).jpg
Old 03-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Mike Magee

Default Sears Paul Blair

I never knew that one existed, thank you for sharing it.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
The Brooks Robinson and Paul Blair photos reminded me that I have a bunch of promotional photos from various advertisers featuring Orioles players. I think it was fairly common for players to make a few extra bucks appearing for companies, with many advertisers offering photos as part of the promotion.

Frank Robinson and Warner Bros Studios
I'm partial to the Frank Robinson Warner Bros. Such a great shot of Frank.

Here's a Brooksie Warner Bros.

Photo Warner Bros. Seven Arts.jpg
Old 03-03-2020, 03:53 PM
M@rk Comer

Here's the color version of the Busch beer.

Photo Busch Premium.jpg
Old 03-04-2020, 02:01 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 64 (March 4, 2020 – 064)

Today we have a couple color snapshot photos of Brooks. In one snapshot he’s pictured along with Bob Johnson from the 1966 season. They’re pictured in their “Baltimore” away uniforms ready to get the game started. Does this happen to be taken in Metropolitan Stadium? I’m not that great at stadium identification, but I may (or may not be) right…

1966 Snapshot photos

Day 64 a.jpg
Day 64 b.jpg

Last edited by Mark70Z; 03-04-2020 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:33 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 64 (March 4, 2020 – 064)

Today we have a couple color snapshot photos of Brooks. In one snapshot he’s pictured along with Bob Johnson from the 1966 season. They’re pictured in their “Baltimore” away uniforms ready to get the game started. Does this happen to be taken in Metropolitan Stadium? I’m not that great at stadium identification, but I may (or may not be) right…

1966 Snapshot photos

Attachment 387806
Attachment 387807
Mark:

You are correct in that those cool snapshots were taken at the Met..

Here is my March contribution to the Orioles Bicentennial bat of the month:

Old 03-04-2020, 09:12 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 Americus-Cordele Orioles

I'll continue to share my O's minor league collection.

The 1954 Americus-Cordele Orioles finished with a record of 51-88. They were the Orioles class D affiliate and played in the Georgia-Florida League. Items from the low level minor leagues from that time period and almost impossible to find, but I've also found very little demand for them. With an average attendance of 376 fans per game, I'm grateful I found a program.

As you would expect, the roster didn't produce anyone that made it to Baltimore, until 1995. Yes... 1995

1954 Americus-Cordele Orioles.jpg

In 1995, former Americus-Cordele player, Chuck Cottier was a coach for the Baltimore Orioles. Cottier did play in the majors for a variety of teams over a 10 year period, but not the Orioles.

Cottier, Chuck 1.jpg
Old 03-04-2020, 04:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Here is my March contribution to the Orioles Bicentennial bat of the month:
Bill,

Great looking Blair bat along with a nice autograph.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:11 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I'll continue to share my O's minor league collection.

The 1954 Americus-Cordele Orioles finished with a record of 51-88. They were the Orioles class D affiliate and played in the Georgia-Florida League. Items from the low level minor leagues from that time period and almost impossible to find, but I've also found very little demand for them. With an average attendance of 376 fans per game, I'm grateful I found a program.

As you would expect, the roster didn't produce anyone that made it to Baltimore, until 1995. Yes... 1995

In 1995, former Americus-Cordele player, Chuck Cottier was a coach for the Baltimore Orioles. Cottier did play in the majors for a variety of teams over a 10 year period, but not the Orioles.
Alan,

I hope I can hear about the O’s affiliates ALL year and then some... You would think there wouldn’t be much if anything to find when it comes to teams like the class D affiliates.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:10 PM
John

I will collect most anything baseball related especially Orioles. Like most kids, cards were the first things I collected and still comprise the bulk of my collection. However, magazines, programs, etc are also a significant portion and a nice cover of any periodical is really tough for me to resist. Sport was my favorite magazine as a kid. I loved their photos and cut up several issues taping full page pics to my wall or in a scrapbook. Here is one of my favorite covers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2020, 02:04 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 65 (March 5, 2020 – 065)

In 1964 the Orioles had Wally Bunker who was the rookie Pitcher of the Year, then there’s Hank Bauer the Manager of the Year and last but not least was Brooks Robinson who was the AL Most Valuable Player. So, in 1965 they put all three on the cover of the Baltimore Orioles Yearbook. It’s an oversized yearbook and mine is not in the greatest condition, but my father picked it up at the time and I’ve had it ever since; I haven’t upgraded and really don’t plan on it.

Hank Bauer was the Orioles Manager in 1964 replacing Billy Hitchcock till the mid-1968 season and was replaced by Earl Weaver. Hank Bauer, on the batting punch of the Robinsons, Frank and Brooks: "They mean as much to the Orioles as [Mickey] Mantle and [Roger] Maris once meant to the Yankees. I just crank 'em up and turn 'em loose."

1965 Baltimore Orioles Yearbook

Day 65 a 1965 Orioles Yearbook.jpg

Below is a portrait photo of Brooks; same used on the ’64 Orioles Yearbook.

Day 65 b Photo Portrait Chronicle Files.jpg

On the inside cover of the yearbook there’s an ad for Mrs. Filbert’s Margarine with a nice B&W picture of Brooks with a send in offer.

Mrs. Filberts Margarine ad

Day 65 c Ad back.jpg
Old 03-05-2020, 02:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
I will collect most anything baseball related especially Orioles. Like most kids, cards were the first things I collected and still comprise the bulk of my collection. However, magazines, programs, etc are also a significant portion and a nice cover of any periodical is really tough for me to resist. Sport was my favorite magazine as a kid. I loved their photos and cut up several issues taping full page pics to my wall or in a scrapbook. Here is one of my favorite covers.
I agree with you that this is one of my favorite covers on a magazine; love the picture used and setup. I too cut the pictures out and typically stapled them to my walls with the rest of the posters I had tacked up...
Old 03-05-2020, 06:27 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:

The color full page picture of Brooks from inside that issue of Sport Magazine is one of my favorite of all time....

Anyways, back in the winter of '92 I contacted the folks at Ripley's Believe It or Not! about Cal's consecutive game streak..

Old 03-05-2020, 06:47 AM
John

If you collect Oriole programs and don't recognize this one, you are forgiven. This is actually a Toronto Blue Jays program from 1978...read the fine print at the bottom...it is considered fine print at my age if I need glasses to read it. It features Rick Dempsey on the cover and I think that is Larry Harlow in the background.

It has a nostalgic 4 page article on collecting baseball cards with no mention of grading or condition!!! Imagine that...collecting just for fun.

It also has an article giving a detailed account of the 24-10 stomping the Jays gave the Orioles where catcher and coach Elrod Hendricks made his only pitching appearance and gave up no runs in 2+ innings throwing 45-50 MPH floaters!!! Lifetime ERA of 0.00. Harlow also pitched in that game but gave up 5 runs in less than an inning.

Old publications and programs have hidden nuggets just waiting to be rediscovered.

John

Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
If you collect Oriole programs and don't recognize this one, you are forgiven. This is actually a Toronto Blue Jays program from 1978...read the fine print at the bottom...it is considered fine print at my age if I need glasses to read it. It features Rick Dempsey on the cover and I think that is Larry Harlow in the background.

It has a nostalgic 4 page article on collecting baseball cards with no mention of grading or condition!!! Imagine that...collecting just for fun.

It also has an article giving a detailed account of the 24-10 stomping the Jays gave the Orioles where catcher and coach Elrod Hendricks made his only pitching appearance and gave up no runs in 2+ innings throwing 45-50 MPH floaters!!! Lifetime ERA of 0.00. Harlow also pitched in that game but gave up 5 runs in less than an inning.

Old publications and programs have hidden nuggets just waiting to be rediscovered.

John

John:

I do have memories of that Blue Jays game where both Harlow & Elrod pitched.

Elrod ending up the '78 season with both the lowest ERA on the club (0.00) and highest Batting average (.333; 6 for 18).
Old 03-05-2020, 08:06 AM
John

I listened to that game on the radio as a teenager while working at a local Tastee Freeze...my boss was a huge Yankee fan and said it's a shame we weren't closer to the stadium because maybe we could get there and pitch too.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:28 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
The color full page picture of Brooks from inside that issue of Sport Magazine is one of my favorite of all time....

Anyways, back in the winter of '92 I contacted the folks at Ripley's Believe It or Not! about Cal's consecutive game streak..
Not sure what picture is in the SPORT; I’ll have to check it out.

Of course it had to be you contacting Ripley’s about the streak.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:57 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
That’s a tad weird to have the Orioles on the cover of a Blue Jays program. I’ve seen other teams feature players from other teams on the cover, but not so blatant.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:32 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 Lewiston Broncs

Just got back from the Orioles spring training game. I sat beside a couple from Idaho, so I guess that was a hint to share a couple items from the two O's affiliates from Lewiston, Idaho.

In 1954, the Lewiston Broncs were the Orioles class A affiliate in the Western International League. They finished 77-61. The only major league player I could find from that team was Al Heist, who played from 1960-62, but not with the Orioles. He was included in a couple Topps sets and the 1962 Salada coin set, as a Houston Colt.

1954 Program

1954 Lewiston Broncs.jpg

Al Heist Salada Coin

s-l400.jpg

The Orioles returned to Lewiston in 1972, with their short season A affiliate playing in the Northwest League. The Lewis-Clark Broncs represented Lewiston, Idaho and twin city Clarkston, Washington. The Broncs finished an impressive 54-26 and won the league championship. No one from the team ended up in Baltimore, but a couple of Lewiston alumni include Reggie Jackson and Bert Campaneris, while Lewiston was an Oakland affiliate.

1972 Lewiston Program

1972 Lewiston Broncs.jpg

1976 Reggie Jackson team issued photo

Jackson, Reggie 1.jpg
Old 03-05-2020, 07:40 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

[QUOTE=BaltOrioles;1959988]Just got back from the Orioles spring training game. I sat beside a couple from Idaho, so I guess that was a hint to share a couple items from the two O's affiliates from Lewiston, Idaho.

In 1954, the Lewiston Broncs were the Orioles class A affiliate in the Western International League. They finished 77-61. The only major league player I could find from that team was Al Heist, who played from 1960-62, but not with the Orioles. He was included in a couple Topps sets and the 1962 Salada coin set, as a Houston Colt.

1954 Program

Al Heist Salada Coin

The Orioles returned to Lewiston in 1972, with their short season A affiliate playing in the Northwest League. The Lewis-Clark Broncs represented Lewiston, Idaho and twin city Clarkston, Washington. The Broncs finished an impressive 54-26 and won the league championship. No one from the team ended up in Baltimore, but a couple of Lewiston alumni include Reggie Jackson and Bert Campaneris, while Lewiston was an Oakland affiliate.

1972 Lewiston Program

1976 Reggie Jackson team issued photo

Alan that 76 team issue of Reggie is pretty awesome. How rare are those? This thread has a wealth of info.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:13 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 66 (March 6, 2020 – 066)

A relatively large plastic sign with a wood frame, around 24”x40, with the statement, “WE ARE PROUD OF OUR BALTIMORE ORIOLES AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS”.

1966 Orioles American League champions sign

Day 66 a.jpg

The Baltimore Orioles sweep the Los Angeles Dodges in the 1966 World Series. This is part of the aftermath after the last out of the 1966 World Series; Brooks leaps in the air to celebrate with teammates Dave McNally and Andy Etchebarren.

Day 66 b.jpg

Same image just colorized.

Day 66 bb Colorized 1966 Final Out.jpg

Since we’re sticking with the 1966 theme for Day 66 the below is a 1966 Orioles World Series dish/tray; “GO ORIOLES, GO”.

1966 World Series glass dish/tray

Day 66 c.jpg
Old 03-06-2020, 02:47 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
1972 Lewiston Program
Alan,

The '72 Lewiston program is a gem. I like everything about the design setup, colors, font, etc. on this program. One of the nicest I've seen so far.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:52 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Alan,

The '72 Lewiston program is a gem. I like everything about the design setup, colors, font, etc. on this program. One of the nicest I've seen so far.
I think I know where Lewiston got the idea for their program design

Old 03-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 Wichita Indians

As Major League baseball considers reducing the number of affiliated minor league teams, the Orioles had a franchise high 12 affiliates in 1954.

Today, I would like to continue with the Orioles class A affiliate from the Western League, the Wichita Indians. The Indians were located in Wichita, Kansas and finished with a 76-77 record. A look through the roster didn't produce much in the way of major league talent, but I do have a couple photos of players from the team.

1954 Wichita Program

1954 Wichita Indians.jpg

Bill Diemer

Diemer, Bill 1.jpg

Bob Masser

Masser, Bob 1.jpg
Old 03-07-2020, 03:39 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 67 (March 7, 2020 – 067)

This is a banner that flew downtown near Camden Yards. The banner is about 29”x38” and is double sided with grommets so it can be hung easily.

Day 67 Banner Camden Yards.jpg
Old 03-07-2020, 03:57 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I think I know where Lewiston got the idea for their program design
Nah...that isn’t even close to the same...

OR maybe the Orioles got the design from Lewiston
Old 03-07-2020, 04:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
As Major League baseball considers reducing the number of affiliated minor league teams, the Orioles had a franchise high 12 affiliates in 1954.
Alan,

That is a lot of affiliates for one franchise. I bet it’s tough looking and/or finding items for the minor league affiliates with so many teams. I’d assume the older ones are even harder to come by.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:00 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Affiliates Minor League Programs/Scorecards

Quote:
Alan,

That is a lot of affiliates for one franchise. I bet it’s tough looking and/or finding items for the minor league affiliates with so many teams. I’d assume the older ones are even harder to come by.
Mark,

You are right about that, but part of the fun of collecting is the challenge and hunt. I have programs from about 90% of all the Orioles affiliates, but most of the about 50 I have left are low minors teams from the 50's and the Stockton Ports. Stockton Ports items from the 60's don't show up often. Attendance was poor during the time they were affiliated with the Orioles. With many teams printing several different issues each year, I have around 1500 different affiliate programs from 1954-present.

In another thread, I've posted my current want list, but don't receive much response. Many of the teams on my want list are teams no one has heard of. If I add one older program a year at this point, I'm very happy.

Thanks for your interest that goes beyond just Orioles major league collectibles.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:20 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I hope you let me step outside of the Orioles organization for one post as this team photo of the 1949 Lancaster Red Roses has a definite Oriole tie in.

The Red Roses were a Class B affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers and the player on the far right of the first row is Bill Ripken (the uncle of Cal Jr. & Bill), who was a fleet footed center fielder in the Dodgers system from 1947-49:

Old 03-07-2020, 07:22 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 San Antonio Missions

I have programs for 7 of the 12 Orioles affiliates from 1954. The last one to share is from the San Antonio Missions. The Missions played in the Texas League and were a class AA affiliate. Oddly, the Orioles had no AAA affiliate in 1954. The Missions finished 78-83 and did include a few players that had major league experience. The most recognizable would be Ryne Duren, while most of the others had cups of tea in the show.

1954 San Antonio Missions.jpg

Here are a few players from that team.

Joe Durham

Durham, Joe 1.jpg

Chuck Oertel

Oertel, Chuck 1.jpg

Mel Held

Held, Mel 1.jpg

Bob Harrison

Harrison, Bob 1.jpg

Willy Quintana

Quintana, Willy 1.jpg

Jim Pisoni

Pisoni, Jim 1.jpg
Old 03-07-2020, 07:24 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
I hope you let me step outside of the Orioles organization for one post as this team photo of the 1949 Lancaster Red Roses has a definite Oriole tie in.

The Red Roses were a Class B affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers and the player on the far right of the first row is Bill Ripken (the uncle of Cal Jr. & Bill), who was a fleet footed center fielder in the Dodgers system from 1947-49:

Bill,

I love those old team photos, especially some of the surprise gems they contain. Great photo. Have you ever shared it with the Ripkens?
Old 03-07-2020, 08:01 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

I love those old team photos, especially some of the surprise gems they contain. Great photo. Have you ever shared it with the Ripkens?
Alan...

I neglected to mention that the manager of that '49 club was Al Campanis, who would later become the Dodgers GM (as well as part of that ABC Night Line controversy in '87 which justifiably cost him his job).

Yes, I have shared it with them...A few years back I was part of a function that everyone was there (including "Uncle Bill") & we all spoke about his playing career..Had him sign a ball for me as well.

Cal Sr.'s older brother, Oliver was a fine player as well (he was a catcher) who turned down a signing opportunity with the Pirates...Both Ollie & Bill were members of the Aberdeen team in the Susquehanna Valley League (good semi pro league) and they told stories of Cal Sr. being the bat boy...They had suspected their signs were being stolen, so they gave the responsibilities of giving the signs to Sr. because no one would suspect that the Bat Boy was the one relaying them!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-07-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:45 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 68 (March 8, 2020 – 068)

Below are a couple of newspaper header cards. The first is from THE SUN and has the Summer Sun Week Sports with an art print of Brooks.

Day 68 a Header Baseball Sun header.jpg

Day 68 b Art Print 1.jpg

Next is a newspaper header from The Baltimore Sun with a 4-Page Special
Feature on Brooks Robinson.

Day 68 c Header Brooks Robinson 4 pg.jpg
Old 03-08-2020, 08:11 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Last year Topps in their Update Series came out with a baseball card of Jim Palmer which incorrectly pictured Mike Boddicker (I don't believe it was ever corrected).

This kind of error card needed to be signed!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-08-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:54 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1971 Kelloggs Orioles set

I loved the Kelloggs cereal sets as a kid. The only problem was digging through the box only to find a non Oriole. Most of the years, you could order the set through a mail in redemption. For some reason, 1971 was different. Maybe because of that and all the variations, the 1971 Kelloggs set is a favorite of mine.

The 1971 set contains six Orioles, but I can't figure out why they left Brooks Robinson out. Especially, since he was in the 1970 set and his great World Series performance in 1970.

The Orioles included were Frank Robinson, Boog Powell, Paul Blair, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally and Jim Palmer. Completing an Orioles master set presents a couple challenges, but can be done.

Beyond the fact that cards were only distributed individually in boxes, each card was printed with either a "1970 XOGRAPH" or "XOGRAPH" variation. I've found the 1970 XOGRAPH cards to be easier to find.

SCAN8052-1.jpg SCAN8052-2.jpg

Additionally, four players (Blair, Cuellar, McNally and Palmer) were issued with stat variations. The stat variations appear only on the "1970 XOGRAPH" cards. Here's an example of the Paul Blair (385 vs 386 Runs).

SCAN8052-3.jpg SCAN8052.JPG

Therefore the master set includes 2 cards of Frank Robinson and Boog Powell and 3 cards each of Paul Blair, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally and Jim Palmer.

1971 Kelloggs #1.jpg 1971 Kelloggs #2.jpg

Throw in a couple cards off the back of the boxes and you're done.

1971 Kelloggs Box.JPG
Old 03-08-2020, 03:58 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Last year Topps in their Update Series came out with a baseball card of Jim Palmer which incorrectly pictured Mike Boddicker (I don't believe it was ever corrected).

This kind of error card needed to be signed!
I remember seeing that card and wondering how a HOF pitcher can't be recognized by Topps and you'd think they'd have a QA process which of course was missed as well.

Now, the card makes an interesting collectible in that you have it signed. I especially like "Cakes" in there as well... There's a 1965 Who's Who in Baseball magazine that used the wrong photo of Brooks to commemorate his 1964 MVP award. I have the magazine somewhere, but can't locate it currently.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:43 PM
John

Here is the 1965 Who's Who with a picture that is not Brooks on the inside front cover

Old 03-09-2020, 01:08 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here is the 1965 Who's Who with a picture that is not Brooks on the inside front cover
That's it... I saw one example where Brooks signed the inside cover of the Who's Who with something humorous. Can't remember the exact, but something like "an impostor".
Old 03-09-2020, 01:13 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 69 (March 9, 2020 – 069)

Pictured below is a 1969 Orioles cardboard directional sign to show fans how to get to Memorial Stadium for the World Series (still HATE the Mets )

Day 69 a 1969 sign.jpg

A Sunpapers World Series Souvenir Scorecard for the 1969 WS with the Orioles vs. the New York Mets. Brooks is pictured on the bottom right side of the scorecard along with his Oriole friends.

Day 69 b.jpg

Brooks hitting in Memorial Stadium during the 1969 season.

Day 69 b (2).jpg

Brooks fielding in Memorial during the 1969 season.

Day 69 c.jpg
Old 03-09-2020, 03:58 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1964 Bazooka Proof

Good morning, here's a photo of a 1964 Bazooka proof featuring Milt Pappas. While researching the card prior to purchasing it, I noticed that quitcrab sold a full 10-player proof sheet of the '64 Bazookas with Boog Powell on it. I hope to be able to find something similar one day, that was a beautiful piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964 Bazooka Proof Milt Pappas.jpg (56.0 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-09-2020, 05:21 AM

Those bazooka proofs sure look nice ! I know they are hard to find.
Mark love the 1969 stuff you posted today! Not many of those cardboard signs could have survived! Scott

Last edited by quitcrab; 03-09-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Mike E

The Brooks Johnny Pro has been posted before, but the mailing envelope for the Johnny Pro set hasn't. Here's how they mailed them. 40 cents postage!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20200309 (12).jpg (7.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Scan_20200309 (14).jpg (7.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 03-09-2020, 04:16 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning, here's a photo of a 1964 Bazooka proof featuring Milt Pappas. While researching the card prior to purchasing it, I noticed that quitcrab sold a full 10-player proof sheet of the '64 Bazookas with Boog Powell on it. I hope to be able to find something similar one day, that was a beautiful piece.
That is a nice looking Bazooka proof stamp panel. I'm sure the proofs sheets had the full ten stamps included on the sheet and were cut down; in your case to a four player panel. Yours also looks like it's a full color proof as well. I have a panel of with just two players pictured which are Brooks and Joe Pepitone, but missing the black.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:20 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Mark love the 1969 stuff you posted today! Not many of those cardboard signs could have survived! Scott
Thanks! The 1969 cardboard O's sign is a tough one to come by and this example is pretty nice for being displayed outside. Also, most of the examples I've come across, which have only been a handful, have some type of obvious or extreme damage.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:24 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62corvette View Post
The Brooks Johnny Pro has been posted before, but the mailing envelope for the Johnny Pro set hasn't. Here's how they mailed them. 40 cents postage!
Mike,

Thanks so much for posting the Johnny Pro mailing envelope here. I haven't seen an example of one you pictured. I think it always enhances the set more with this type of piece.

By the way...we (I guess that's me) do duplicates of items so post away...
Old 03-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1969 World Series

Quote:
[B]

A Sunpapers World Series Souvenir Scorecard for the 1969 WS with the Orioles vs. the New York Mets. Brooks is pictured on the bottom right side of the scorecard along with his Oriole friends.

Attachment 388518
The World Series can often provide some neat scorecards, in addition to the programs issued by each team. This was especially true in 1969. Both the Orioles and Mets had scorecards from various third parties.

The team issued programs from Baltimore and New York

1969 World Series (Baltimore).jpg 1969 World Series (New York).jpg

Here are a few others, in addition to the scorecard Mark posted.

From Baltimore.

1969 World Series (News American).jpg

From New York.

1969 World Series (Tom Seaver).jpg 1969 World Series (Mets Celebrating).jpg

1969 World Series (Garelik).jpg 1969 World Series (BaseballBlock Letters).jpg
Old 03-09-2020, 09:26 PM

Default 1974,75 California League

California League in 74-75
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penlodi.jpg (73.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 03-10-2020, 02:03 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
The World Series can often provide some neat scorecards, in addition to the programs issued by each team. This was especially true in 1969. Both the Orioles and Mets had scorecards from various third parties.
While I really like the 1969 programs they are easily found with a quick search. Now the third party ones are typically hard to come by; there were a couple you've posted that I've never seen before. Those are very cool...
Old 03-10-2020, 02:04 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypcl View Post
California League in 74-75
VERY NICE pennant!