NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Jon Canfield

Default Someone Still Embellishing the Truth - Have They Learned Nothing?

Ok, so this isn't about fake cards. However, a spotted this new eBay auction and it seems the [someone] is still trying to deceive the collecting public. Here is the listing in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNOPENED-T206-T2...3A4%7C294%3A50

The text of the auction reads:

UNOPENED T206 T205 DRUM CIGARETTE PACK GAI 7.5 TY COBB?

This is an eBay Powerseller BUY IT NOW auction for a T206-era unopened DRUM brand tobacco pouch, graded GAI 7.5 NM+ that could contain 1 or more valuable T206 baseball cards!!! I AM OFFERING FREE SHIPPING AND INSURANCE ON THIS ITEM -- IT WILL BE SHIPPED TO THE WINNER BY USPS REGISTERED MAIL AND I WILL GET IT OUT OF MY BANK DEPOSIT BOX AND SHIP IT TO YOU AS SOON AS I RECEIVE PAYPAL PAYMENT!!! AS NOTED ON THE GAI HOLDER/LABEL, GAI GUARANTEES THIS PACK CONTAINS 1 OR MORE BASEBALL CARDS (T206 or T205 -- NOTE THE WORD "BASEBALL" PRINTED ON THE GAI LABEL). THE 100-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE T206 SET IS COMING AND THESE PACKS AND THE T206 CARDS ARE SURE TO GREATLY INCREASE IN VALUE BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SCARCE AND DUE TO THE FACT THERE WILL BE MORE INTEREST AND PUBLICITY ABOUT THESE ITEMS DUE TO THE 2009 100-YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! I am not accepting trades for this pack, so please don't ask. ORIGINAL FACTORY SEAL!!! This would be a great addition to any T206 or vintage baseball card/memorabilia collection just kept as-is, or open it and take your chances on striking it big to find a Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, or one of the other dozens of Hall of Famer cards in this set. If you pull a T206 Hall of Famer out of this pouch in mint condition, this will be THE GREATEST T206 PACK FIND IN HISTORY!!! Pull a Cobb or really any Hall of Famer out of here and you're for sure going to be able to resell it for 6 figures. Payment will be by Paypal only. Also, please check out my other sports card auctions on eBay!!!

Now, I'm not going to even get into the fact that these Drum loose leaf tobacco packs do not contain cards - that isn't the issue I'm referring to. What I am referring to is the part of the listing which reads "THE GAI HOLDER/LABEL, GAI GUARANTEES THIS PACK CONTAINS 1 OR MORE BASEBALL CARDS (T206 or T205 -- NOTE THE WORD "BASEBALL" PRINTED ON THE GAI LABEL). "

Give me a break. We all know that GAI is not guaranteeing a card is in this pack simply because the word "basebal" (note the misspelling) is printed on the label. Where did this notion come from? This is simply a dishonest seller trying to hype a piece worth maybe $75.00 and sell it for $10,000.

Last edited by canjond; 06-23-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: May not be Chan
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Barry Sloate

GAI guarantees the pack contains one or more baseball cards? What happens if you open the pack and there is no baseball card? GAI refunds your $10,000? I don't get it.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
D.B. Cooper

It would be nice if Pat would learn to unbellish.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Joe P.

"It seems our friends over at the T206museum have learned nothing at all."

Wrong!

I've said it before, I'll say it again.
He's learned, the worse that could happen is that he'll have to give the money back.

He knows that no one will send him to spend some friendly time with Bubba in a cell.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default question

So is this Chan's listing? Is he "800hitter"? ......There is enough erroneous info in that listing to at least get it booted and maybe even the seller.....I just want my ducks in a row before I report it......We all know that there is no way a Wagner ever came with a Drum back....just for starters.....and it's easier to pick low hanging fruit so that will be the issue. Pat won't ever be responding on this site again. Net54baseball.com won't be a place where he is welcomed to post or participate after what he did and his unrepenting ways....
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Steven Finley

The only positive I see from this is that at least any collector that WOULD have the resources to drop 10k for one item also carries enough common sense to do their homework. I'm pretty sure this item in question has been sitting on Ebay for at least a year at numerous prices, so take from that what you will.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Jon Canfield

I'm pretty sure Chan is 800hitter. Maybe someone else knows for sure. If I'm wrong, I'll have to edit my original post!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
The only positive I see from this is that at least any collector that WOULD have the resources to drop 10k for one item also carries enough common sense to do their homework.

I wouldn't bet on that Mr Finley.
The seller is counting on that ONE buyer that WANTS to believe the Tale.

They wouldn't try it, if it hasn't flown before.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Jim R

I am not sure if 800hitter is Pat but I am sure most criminals are lifers. Even if Pat went to jail for 90 days, a year or whatever it would not stop him. He will try to con any collector he can FOREVER! Its in his blood.

Proof-Bond73-came on here after the fact and said "does this guy have a printing factory in his basement"
Old 06-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Jon Canfield

Received an email... seller may not be Chan

> Jon,>> If you read my previous posts on Net54, I have already mentioned I have> already sold that Drum pouch in a way discounted price. I have no control> of how the new owner selling this pouch. As you stated "I'm pretty sure> Chan is 800hitter"....Now I wonder how you can "pretty sure" my Piedmont> packs and that Drum pouch don't have tobacco cards in them since I am not> 800hitter.>
Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Why did you think 800hitter was Chan? I am sure you didn't make the statement lightly.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:31 PM

I asked the seller about this guarantee weeks ago and he deferred to
GAI. Using his logic isn't it more likely GAI means there's a baseball in
there?

===============

frank, the guarantee is on the label. gai specifically printed the
word "baseball" on the label, indicating the pack contains baseball
card or cards. thanks for your interest, dg

- 800hitter

Did this answer your question? If not, let the seller know.

UNOPENED T206 T205 DRUM PACK POSS. HONUS WAGNER GAI 7.5
UNOPENED T206 T205 DRUM PACK POSS. HONUS WAGNER GAI 7.5
Item Id: 300293559360
End time: Jun-12-09 20:03:02 PDT
Seller:

800hitter (890)
99.3% Positive Feedback
Member since Dec-16-03 in United States
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default 800hitter

I asked the same question a month ago. (Was Chan 800hitter?) 800hitter lives in the midwest. Chan lives close by. I even mentioned that the pictures used by 800hitter and t206musuem.com were the same. No doubt, it's him.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default "dg"

Suggests it is not Chan. Perhaps the ban should be lifted until there is more conclusive evidence, if this was the reason for his banishment.

Edit to add The Midwest is a big place. Then again he could be listing through a friend.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-23-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default This just in...

800hitter has another pack for sale:

"May 27: I JUST LOWERED THE PRICE BY $1,000 AND 77 PEOPLE ARE WATCHING THIS AUCTION SO DON'T EXPECT THIS ONE TO LAST ON EBAY MUCH LONGER!!!" It's been up for over a year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAI-8-UNOPENED-T...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 06-23-2009, 06:18 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

800hitter (890)
99.3% Positive Feedback

If memory serves, Chan is from Illinois. Does anyone still maintain this is Chan, and if so on what basis?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Adam M.

This same 800hitter person has come up as a topic of discussion before:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...com+is-#bottom
Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
800hitter (890)
99.3% Positive Feedback

If memory serves, Chan is from Illinois. Does anyone still maintain this is Chan, and if so on what basis?
I don't maintain one way or the other, but if memory serves, this seller was selling this Drum pouch on eBay a while back when Chan still had it in his possession and for sale on the T206 web site. That doesn't mean they are the same person, because the eBay seller could be one of those "sell an item then go buy it" fellows, but that may be why the two are associated.