NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Brooks Robinson Salada coin versions

I saw someone posted a 180 back from the Salada set earlier.I wanted to give more background on the set and Brooks in particular.

As some of you may know there are 3 or 4 "rare" coins in the set. Two of which are Orioles. Brandt with the Oriolesas opposed to the normal Oriole. And Dick Williams with his name on the right.

If you read the write up about the 62 Salada coins in the SCD Standard Catalog and read the last two sentences you will learn about a TINY PERCENTAGE of the 180 backs that are different. Both the rare Brandt and Williams are part of this very rare early test print run.

Just to be clear these are NOT on ALL 180 backs, but rather on a VERY SMALL scale. In fact they are so rare that the SCD Catalog does not even assign a value to them because they turn up so rarely there are no records of sales.

As "luck" would have it for you Brooksie collectors, he is included in this early test print run.

Below I have scanned three different coins.

On the left is a prototype for the 1963 set that came out of Salada files. They wanted to see what a coin would look like in the metal shell. Here they used a basic steel color, while the coins that were issued were either a red or blue shell. They took a 62 paper Brooks out of a plastic shell and taped it into the metal shell you see.

In the middle is the "common" issue of the Brooks coin.

And on the right is the very rare early test print where you will note his name is lower where the word Robinson is even with his mouth while on the common coin Robinson is printed above his mouth. The word Orioles is also slightly moved on the test printing coin. So while ALL of these test printing coins are 180 backs not all 180 backs are the test coins.

Hope this all makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salada B. Robinson 3 versions_000172.jpg (78.5 KB, 261 views)
Old 01-08-2020, 06:31 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
I don't know if Mort Tadder himself was taking photos up until 1998/99, but I do know 1998 or 1999 was the last year I was able to get the Tadder 8x10 glossy head shot photos, with names printed, from the Orioles office. Some of those photos continued to have Tadder on the front. At that time, you could go up to the O's office in the warehouse and hand the lady at the desk a list of players you wanted and she would get them for you. They were $2 per photo. I miss the simpler times.

Here are the last couple Cal Ripken photos I picked up from 1998/99.
He may still have been taking the portraits personally at that time frame, but think he was mainly doing commercial photography if I remember correctly.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:56 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
I saw someone posted a 180 back from the Salada set earlier.I wanted to give more background on the set and Brooks in particular.

As some of you may know there are 3 or 4 "rare" coins in the set. Two of which are Orioles. Brandt with the Oriolesas opposed to the normal Oriole. And Dick Williams with his name on the right.

If you read the write up about the 62 Salada coins in the SCD Standard Catalog and read the last two sentences you will learn about a TINY PERCENTAGE of the 180 backs that are different. Both the rare Brandt and Williams are part of this very rare early test print run.

Just to be clear these are NOT on ALL 180 backs, but rather on a VERY SMALL scale. In fact they are so rare that the SCD Catalog does not even assign a value to them because they turn up so rarely there are no records of sales.

As "luck" would have it for you Brooksie collectors, he is included in this early test print run.

Below I have scanned three different coins.

On the left is a prototype for the 1963 set that came out of Salada files. They wanted to see what a coin would look like in the metal shell. Here they used a basic steel color, while the coins that were issued were either a red or blue shell. They took a 62 paper Brooks out of a plastic shell and taped it into the metal shell you see.

In the middle is the "common" issue of the Brooks coin.

And on the right is the very rare early test print where you will note his name is lower where the word Robinson is even with his mouth while on the common coin Robinson is printed above his mouth. The word Orioles is also slightly moved on the test printing coin. So while ALL of these test printing coins are 180 backs not all 180 backs are the test coins.

Hope this all makes sense.
Fred,

Thanks so much for the information on the Salada coins. As a Brooks collector I sure didn't know that there was a difference. Appreciate you educating me and giving pictures to document of what you were talking about. Great information!
Old 01-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Speaking of playoff hero Tito Landrum....Here is a dual signed UPI Press Photo of Tito "high fiving" Cal Ripken Jr. after smacking that 10th Inning HR off Chicago's Britt Burns in the '83 ALCS clinching game:

Old 01-09-2020, 01:59 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 9 (January 9, 2020 – 009)

Always like any type of proof stuff whether it’s a match print photo, progressive proof, blank back (maybe not considered a proof, but not a completed card), printing plate, etc. Today I have pictured a 1966 Bazooka transparency, with Robinson, Wynn and Torre.

Day 9 a.jpg

Another proof, this time cardboard, below of the same panel to go along with the transparency:

Day 9 b.jpg

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-09-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:01 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Speaking of playoff hero Tito Landrum....Here is a dual signed UPI Press Photo of Tito "high fiving" Cal Ripken Jr. after smacking that 10th Inning HR off Chicago's Britt Burns in the '83 ALCS clinching game:

Nice!!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:37 AM
Mike Reid

Mark: don’t know if you have one of these. Let me know if you are interested in it.
B5EDFDF5-63BC-45B4-BF3F-D8ACC81E2B74.jpg

3D6E5127-2218-4170-B9C5-941E032D8338.jpg
Old 01-09-2020, 07:38 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark:

Where did you get those proofs?.....Topps Vault on eBay?

One last Chuck Thompson item from me...A few years ago I saw on Craigslist that someone was selling one of those Esskay Hot Dog Vendor boxes from Memorial Stadium (which, strangely I always wanted).

Anyways, I called the seller to reserve it and when I went down to pick it up and pay for it, I asked the guy where in the world did he get it from. He told me his grandfather (of all people) was Chuck Thompson and it was given to Chuck when they closed down Memorial Stadium & that he was now in the process of moving to NC and just getting rid of some things....I did ask him if he had other things related to his grandfather that he would consider selling, but he said this was it...

Last edited by roarfrom34; 01-09-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Here is the tough 1976 English's Chicken lid of Brooks Robinson. Brooks was part of the group of 10 small lids issued. There were also three larger lids which included Jim Palmer, Ken Holtzman and Mike Cuellar. The larger lids aren't too hard to find and show up much more often than the smaller lids. In my opinion, Brooks is one of the tougher small lids to find.

1976 Englsh Lids (SmallBrooks Robinson).JPG

For additional info, here's a link to Bob Lemke's blog on the set.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/02...checklist.html
Old 01-09-2020, 01:07 PM
John

Quote:
Here is the tough 1976 English's Chicken lid of Brooks Robinson. Brooks was part of the group of 10 small lids issued. There were also three larger lids which included Jim Palmer, Ken Holtzman and Mike Cuellar. The larger lids aren't too hard to find and show up much more often than the smaller lids. In my opinion, Brooks is one of the tougher small lids to find.

Attachment 380356

For additional info, here's a link to Bob Lemke's blog on the set.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/02...checklist.html
Good info on the 1976 English's Chicken Lid set...if anybody has any for sale or trade let me know...to complete the set I need 5 of the smaller ones(Blair, Duncan, Hendricks, Robinson, Singleton) and have dupes of the 3 larger ones (Cuellar, Holtzman, Palmer)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2020, 01:15 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I didn’t know you were a full fledged Brooks Robinson collector. With all the Brooksie stuff your showing on display it definitely makes for great viewing. By the way, what is the Brooks diving piece?

Also, very cool on the Avon box!
I am an Oriole collector but have accumulated a lot of Brooks items along the way...the Brooks diving piece is a custom piece I am guessing I acquired 10-15 years ago...a guy customized a McFarlane piece as a Brooks and I thought it was cool and would make a nice display piece...it is set so you can't see the original face and I'm not sure who the piece originally was before customization.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:36 PM
Alan Strout

Default English Lids

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
Good info on the 1976 English's Chicken Lid set...if anybody has any for sale or trade let me know...to complete the set I need 5 of the smaller ones(Blair, Duncan, Hendricks, Robinson, Singleton) and have dupes of the 3 larger ones (Cuellar, Holtzman, Palmer)

I know I have some duplicates at home. I'm a snowbird from Maine in Florida until the end of April. I know I don't have an extra Robinson, not sure about Singleton, but fairly sure I have Blair, Duncan and Hendricks. If you still need them in May, send me a message and I can help you out. It's not an easy set to complete.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:45 PM
John

Quote:
I know I have some duplicates at home. I'm a snowbird from Maine in Florida until the end of April. I know I don't have an extra Robinson, not sure about Singleton, but fairly sure I have Blair, Duncan and Hendricks. If you still need them in May, send me a message and I can help you out. It's not an easy set to complete.
Thanks for the response...I will be in touch

Old 01-09-2020, 01:50 PM
John

Here is an overall view of one of my cases...will try and provide some more close up pics.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:40 PM
John

A few closer pics

Old 01-09-2020, 02:47 PM
John

And a few more. I think all of the several hundred items in and on this case are O's related except for a few of Yaz, Frank Howard and Gaylord Perry and a few of the signed mini helmets. Are these pics ok for this thread or should they be posted in another thread?

Old 01-09-2020, 03:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Mark: don’t know if you have one of these. Let me know if you are interested in it.
PM sent.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:14 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

Where did you get those proofs?.....Topps Vault on eBay?

One last Chuck Thompson item from me...A few years ago I saw on Craigslist that someone was selling one of those Esskay Hot Dog Vendor boxes from Memorial Stadium (which, strangely I always wanted).

Anyways, I called the seller to reserve it and when I went down to pick it up and pay for it, I asked the guy where in the world did he get it from. He told me his grandfather (of all people) was Chuck Thompson and it was given to Chuck when they closed down Memorial Stadium & that he was now in the process of moving to NC and just getting rid of some things....I did ask him if he had other things related to his grandfather that he would consider selling, but he said this was it...
Bill,

I have a few proofs and most I've had for a while now. A Brooks collector back in the day Mike (Gmrson) had quite an extensive collection of items. He ultimately was downsizing his Brooksie stuff and I was able to pick up a few proof items as well as some general type items for my collection. He was very helpful and extended more than fair prices; just a great guy. I just wish I had the opportunity to get into contact with him sooner since he already sold extremely rare items prior to me even knowing about his collection.

I have also picked up a few proofs from Scott (quitcrab) which also collects Brooks and a bunch of other cool stuff. He's always been very helpful and just an encouraging type guy.

The Topps Vault I have picked up a few things, but not very many. I'll likely show them sometime in this thread and they have their seal they put on the items along with a hologram sticker.

By the way, that vendor box is the type of item that's exciting to me...
Old 01-09-2020, 03:24 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

Attachment 380356
Alan,

You know the English lid has been on my want list “forever”. I just can’t seem to find that thing. I know Scott (quitcrab) has one as well. Maybe I’ll locate one one day, but just haven’t been successful. Of course I’ve seen pictures of yours before, but I appreciate you posting your great looking lid.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-09-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:41 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
And a few more. I think all of the several hundred items in and on this case are O's related except for a few of Yaz, Frank Howard and Gaylord Perry and a few of the signed mini helmets. Are these pics ok for this thread or should they be posted in another thread?
OF COURSE these pics are ok for this thread and your encouraged to do so. I think your displays are sooo nice. Now, you may want to post some of your pics in the memorabilia room thread as well; they may enjoy the show just like me...
Old 01-09-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Hi Mark:

I just saw this thread and am so very pleased you're doing it....It's ironic that back in 1982-83, I partly got started on a Cal Ripken Jr. collection because I couldn't afford a lot of the Brooks Robinson stuff that was out there...However over these many years, I have managed to pick up some Brooks things here and there (and we did give our youngest son the middle name of Brooks).

I've posted these on the Board in other topics but in case you missed them:

Here is the Orioles line up card from Game 3 of the 1970 W.S. that manager Earl Weaver had taped to the dugout wall (an usher gave it to a fan after the game was over). It was the game that not only Dave McNally hit a Grand Slam, becoming the first and only only pitcher to do so, but also the game in which Brooks made that diving catch to his left off Johnny Bench, which has become an iconic photo to this day..

This is the pitching chart that was kept my Scott McGregor on 04/19/77 vs. Cleveland, which most Brooks fans will remember him hitting an exciting 3 run Walk Off HR in the 10th inning, which ultimately was his last (which he signed for me a few years ago):

I'm looking forward to your posts as well as to see what other people have.

Happy New Year

Bill
The pitching chart from the game where Brooks hit is final HR is a great item. As I had only started following baseball and the Orioles the season before, that HR is unfortunately one of my only memories of him playing. I remember listening to the game on WFMD, which was the Orioles station in Frederick, MD. The game was tied and went into extra innings when the Indians took the lead in the top of the 10th. The thing I remember about listening to the game was that Brooks fouled off a number of pitches, which just increased the drama with each pitch. When he hit the HR I was ecstatic, and my dad excitedly came to my room to see if I'd heard the HR as he'd been listening to the game in his room as well.

Thanks for sharing the pitching chart and reminding me of that great memory of Brooks and my dad.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Day 10 (January 10, 2020 – 010)

We can learn on Day 10, if you haven’t already, to not smoke cigarettes (I’m not the judge). This is a small poster ad from The American Cancer Society picturing Brooks fielding in a game shot from 1969 which states, “I don’t smoke cigarettes”.

Day 10 a ad.jpg

Below is the B&W shot of the same pose used for the ACS advertisement. Notice they took his right hand out within the poster ad. Also, they took out the BIRDLAND

Day 10 b.jpg

I’ve also included an advertising piece that was on the back cover of an ACS booklet entitled “Where there’s Smoke…” There’s a couple popular athletes shown along with Brooks.

Day 10 c.jpg
Old 01-10-2020, 02:34 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Merv Rettenmund

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy). Clint has some great Oriole jersey's in his collection and this is one of them. Below is a Merv Rettenmund 1972 Baltimore road jersey.

Merv Rettenmund 1.jpg

Merv Rettenmund 2.jpg

Merv Rettenmund c (2).jpg
Old 01-10-2020, 05:02 AM

Default Brooks Trivia

I have always like the cartoon on the back of the 1973 OPC Brooks card. I like the french writing and the drawing is great.

Question Who was the first ball player to refer to Brooks a vacuum cleaner?

Answer- Pete Richert referred to Brooks as a vacuum cleaner on May 20.1967 when he was traded from the Washington Senators. Pete was quoted as saying" It will be nice to have the vacuum cleaner behind me"- Lee May is probably the first man to have shortened the nickname to "Hoover"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks Trivia .jpg (67.0 KB, 244 views)
Old 01-10-2020, 09:50 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Hartlands

I always liked the look of the Hartland statues produced in the 1960's and hated that an Oriole, while Jim Gentile was in the works, was never produced.

Here is my collection of Hartlands.

Brooks Robinson from 2004. While a Hartland, not nearly as nice a design as the originals

2004 Brooks Robinson (Hartland Statues).JPG

The Jim Gentile that never was. Issued in 2011. I love that they used the original design.

2011 Jim Gentile (Hartland Statues).jpg

And lastly Luis Aparicio. Yes as an Oriole. This one is from 1988 when they did the 25th Anniversary set. I bought an unpainted White Sox version and customized Luis myself. I know the uniform isn't exactly correct, but my skills are limited. I also didn't know at the time that Jim Gentile would end up being done, so Aparicio was my only option. I am happy with the results anyway.

1988 Luis Aparicio (Hartland 25th AnniversaryCustom).jpg
Old 01-10-2020, 02:32 PM
John

Love the Hartland statues...always wanted to customize my Aparicio too...wrote Frank Fulop many years ago for his autograph to display with my set of 25th anniversary statues

Old 01-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Brad W.

I enjoyed reading this tread, and hope to see more posts in the future. Brooks was incredible at 3rd.

It's weird, but I've ended up with three 1/1 sketch cards of Brooks by the same artist out of 2008 Topps Stadium Club. I liked the 1st one a lot, and then picked up the other 2 when I've seen them over the years.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:51 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I have always like the cartoon on the back of the 1973 OPC Brooks card. I like the french writing and the drawing is great.

Question Who was the first ball player to refer to Brooks a vacuum cleaner?

Answer- Pete Richert referred to Brooks as a vacuum cleaner on May 20.1967 when he was traded from the Washington Senators. Pete was quoted as saying" It will be nice to have the vacuum cleaner behind me"- Lee May is probably the first man to have shortened the nickname to "Hoover"
Scott,

You know I enjoy the cartoons on the backs of the cards, but especially when they relate to the specific player on the card. That's a GREAT one you pictured.

So, your asking questions about the nickname; how bout what was Brooks' first nickname?
Old 01-10-2020, 02:54 PM
M@rk Comer

[QUOTE=BaltOrioles;1945942]I always liked the look of the Hartland statues produced in the 1960's and hated that an Oriole, while Jim Gentile was in the works, was never produced.

Here is my collection of Hartlands.

Brooks Robinson from 2004. While a Hartland, not nearly as nice a design as the originals

The Jim Gentile that never was. Issued in 2011. I love that they used the original design.

And lastly Luis Aparicio. Yes as an Oriole. This one is from 1988 when they did the 25th Anniversary set. I bought an unpainted White Sox version and customized Luis myself. I know the uniform isn't exactly correct, but my skills are limited. I also didn't know at the time that Jim Gentile would end up being done, so Aparicio was my only option. I am happy with the results anyway. [QUOTE]

Alan,

Yeah, I'm with you; while the Brooks Hartland does look pretty good it's not as nice as the originals in my view. I do really like the Gentile; very nice.

Hey, you did a pretty good job on the Aparicio. Way better than I could do that's for sure...
Old 01-10-2020, 03:00 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
I enjoyed reading this tread, and hope to see more posts in the future. Brooks was incredible at 3rd.

It's weird, but I've ended up with three 1/1 sketch cards of Brooks by the same artist out of 2008 Topps Stadium Club. I liked the 1st one a lot, and then picked up the other 2 when I've seen them over the years.
Brad,

Glad you enjoyed so far. Thanks for posting the sketch cards of Brooks; all look really nice in my view. I "think" the last one I like the best; probably because you can see more of the uni. and I like when he had the B. Robinson on the back of his jersey.

Hey, would love to see your favorite Grace card or odd-ball or publication or poster or proof, etc. You get the drift; would like to see a cool Grace item.
Well can I assume you're a Grace collector...
Old 01-10-2020, 07:22 PM

I have no idea what is first nickname was?
Old 01-10-2020, 08:59 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I have no idea what is first nickname was?
His father called Brooks “Buddy” so if you consider that a nickname that would be first. If not in HS it was “round-man”.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Luis Aparicio

Day 11 (January 11, 2020 – 011)

Today a vintage color photo (5”x7”) of Brooks and Luis “Little Louie” Aparicio. As you can see it’s lightened up over time, possibly being exposed to light or maybe just the way the color dissipates on these older photos, but I think it’s cool. Both Brooks and Luis have signed the booklet in blue pen. Luis was another great, multiple gold glove winning, shortstop for the Orioles (wasn’t too bad for the Sox as well).

Day 11 a.jpg

The photo below is a picture of the Orioles infield when Luis was playing for the Orioles. Pictured left to right is Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio, Jerry Adair and Leroy “Norm” Siebern.

Day 11 b.jpg
Old 01-11-2020, 05:43 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Mark "the Blade" Belanger

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy)

This is a Mark "the Blade" Belanger 1979 Baltimore road jersey. Mark's autograph is a bit tough as well and the road jersey has an auto on the back.

Mark Belanger 1979 front.jpg
Mark Belanger 1979 back.jpg
Old 01-11-2020, 06:02 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Mark "the Blade" Belanger

I was going to post this item for one of the days this year, but with Clint's great Belanger jersey it just brings back wonderful memories of the great Oriole teams back in the day and "the Blade" was definitely one of my favorites.

This is a small handout of a Bethlehem Family Night game held on June 12, 1970 where the Orioles played the Oakland Athletics (is this just a cool shot or what). As a side note Mudcat Grant was the winning pitcher of this game at Memorial. When I think of Mudcat (great nickname by the way; anybody know where the name came from? If not, a teammate nicknamed him Mudcat because he thought he was from Mississippi). Anyway, when I think of him I think of his 1972 A's card with his mutton-chop sideburns and the great color contrast between the green A's jersey and the red on the Topps card.

Mark Belanger Bethlehem Steel June 12, 1970.jpg

The back of the program is very nice as well and pictures a grouping of Oriole players.

Mark Belanger Bethlehem Steel June 12, 1970 back.jpg
Old 01-11-2020, 07:48 AM
Bob Andrews

EDIT Some of the pics here didn't show up. I'll try again. Please delete this post.

Last edited by commishbob; 01-11-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:54 AM
Bob Andrews

OK, I cut this back to just a few pics. The snaps are from a trip to see the O's play in Arlington. That was always a summer highlight when I was in college.

The B&Ws are all about 5x7. Dunno why Brooks is so much bigger here.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg
Old 01-11-2020, 08:48 AM
Bill H@e1ig

For those that may not be aware, a Mark Belanger Documentary came out about a year ago & I recommend any Oriole/Blade fan picking it up:

http://www.belangerfilm.com/

Rex Barney was pictured earlier in the thread and I thought I'd share one of the line up sheets that he used as the Orioles PA Announcer back in May of 1997. Fun fact about Rex (who was also a MLB pitcher for the Dodgers in the 1940's and once hurled a No Hitter), was that he would always announce the Game Time Temp as an odd number.......

Old 01-11-2020, 09:12 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
OK, I cut this back to just a few pics.
One of the cardinal rules of the Brooks Robinson and Baltimore Orioles thread is that there's "no cutting back". Sorry if this rule is a problem, but you're just going to have to post all the pictures either now, or eventually, in this thread .
Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
OK, I cut this back to just a few pics. The snaps are from a trip to see the O's play in Arlington. That was always a summer highlight when I was in college.

The B&Ws are all about 5x7. Dunno why Brooks is so much bigger here.
Man, I love the snapshot photos. So many things to see in these pictures as well as the player themselves.

Hey, the B&W's are nice as well...
Old 01-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Clint

As an Orioles and Brooks Robinson fan these last few weeks have been great. Thanks for sharing everyone!
Old 01-11-2020, 09:48 AM

That is a great shot of Mark Belanager on the Bethlehem Steel handout. It reminded me of a picture I came across while trying to find pictures of the Orioles in the seldom seen vests that they wore from 1968 - 1969.

Here is a picture of a cutout where you could take your picture with Brooks and Paul Blair while you are wearing Andy Etchebarren's # 8 on Bethlehem Steel Family Night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orioles Vests Brooks Blair Cutout.JPG (51.0 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by Fleerfan; 01-11-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:59 AM

Speaking of the Orioles vests, here are a few pictures I came across of Brooks wearing the vest. If you'd like to see the other pictures I found of the Orioles wearing the vest, you can see them here:

https://fleersticker.blogspot.com/20...e-orioles.html

Last edited by Fleerfan; 01-11-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:59 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Spring is in the air. I picked up my Orioles spring training season tickets this morning at Ed Smith Stadium. In honor of that great event, I'm posting a few early Orioles spring training programs/scorecards.

These are from 1956, which I believe are the first spring programs Brooks appeared in. My earlier spring training programs don't have him listed on the roster.

Brooks did appear on the cover of a few spring training programs in the 60's, that I'll post once spring training starts.

This one is from when the Orioles trained in Scottsdale, Arizona.

1956 Spring Training (ScottsdaleScorecard).jpg

Inside of the scorecard. Brooks is wearing #40.

SCAN7749.jpg

This one is from the end of spring training when the Orioles played the Dodgers in Baltimore.

1956 Spring Training (Baltimore).jpg
Old 01-11-2020, 12:10 PM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Vest Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleerfan View Post
That is a great shot of Mark Belanager on the Bethlehem Steel handout. It reminded me of a picture I came across while trying to find pictures of the Orioles in the seldom seen vests that they wore from 1968 - 1969.
The only Orioles team issued postcard, that I know of, is this one of Davey Johnson pictured in the vest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969 Postcards 01.jpg (25.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 01-11-2020, 03:41 PM
Mike Reid

Mark: the 71 All-Star game was the first game I ever attended. These are from the 2001 Upper Deck issue. I try and collect everything I can related to that game. Frank Robinson has a card in this subset and hit a home run that night as well .There were many Orioles in that game as you know and Earl Weaver was the American League manager that night. I believe it still has the record for most HOFers to play in an All-Star game. The tickets pictured were the 3 tickets we used that night. As a 9 year old boy I can’t tell you what an impact that had on me. My Dad and I had been collecting for about 2 years at that time and that night put it in overdrive. Both my parents are gone now but I can tell you that I get a smile and maybe a tear when I look back at what great memories this hobby of ours brought to our family.

871875F0-F313-46CB-AB8D-BB1BDB616514.jpg

17EE4895-CD2C-44B6-9665-2A4E367064F5.jpg
Old 01-11-2020, 03:43 PM
Clint

Great memories Mike, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Hal T.

Awesome thread Mark and so many interesting items. Brooks remains one of the great ambassadors for the game and still works for the Orioles as a special advisor. As an athlete, a role model, a fan favorite and an extraordinary human being, Brooks gets it. Growing up in New York during the '60's, one stop away from Willets Point/Shea Stadium on the #7 train, I took great pleasure in the Mets victory over the O's in the '69 World Series even though Brooks was one of my childhood heroes. I too played third and wore the No. 5 except my jersey read E5.

In the cabinet;

Orioles bobbleheads: '60's color base, green base and black player

Ticket Stubs: April 15, 1954 Orioles 1st game at Memorial Stadium, 1958 All Star Game, 1966 Game 4 WS, 1970 Game 5 WS (full ticket) and July 15, 1960 Brooks becomes the first Orioles player to hit for the cycle.

1957 Rookie Card Signed

#5 brass row marker from the demolition of Memorial Stadium

1954 Scorecard from first game at Memorial Stadium

1954 Yearbook

1970's Brooks Decanter

On the A-frame bat rack are game used bats from players in Cooperstown and in the Orioles HOF during their playing days with the O's;

Brooks Robinson
Frank Robinson
Luis Aparicio
Cal Ripken Jr.
Eddie Murray
Roberto Alomar
Harold Baines

The bats on the wall are all gamers from Orioles who are in the Orioles HOF. I'm missing two position players (Hendricks, Buford) and several pitchers. As you all are well aware, game used pitcher's bats are not easy to find.

The photo is from a signing in Ellicott City, Maryland where Brooks usually appears twice a year. When I showed Brooks the bat, without looking at the knob, he was able to recite the model #.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3494.jpg (74.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3498.jpg (72.0 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3499.jpg (62.4 KB, 209 views)
Old 01-11-2020, 06:08 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleerfan View Post
Speaking of the Orioles vests, here are a few pictures I came across of Brooks wearing the vest. If you'd like to see the other pictures I found of the Orioles wearing the vest, you can see them here:
I love the Fleer Sticker Project. I saw all the pictures of the Orioles in their vests, but sure doesn’t hurt to see them in this thread.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Spring is in the air. I picked up my Orioles spring training season tickets this morning at Ed Smith Stadium. In honor of that great event, I'm posting a few early Orioles spring training programs/scorecards.

These are from 1956, which I believe are the first spring programs Brooks appeared in. My earlier spring training programs don't have him listed on the roster.

Brooks did appear on the cover of a few spring training programs in the 60's, that I'll post once spring training starts.

This one is from when the Orioles trained in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Inside of the scorecard. Brooks is wearing #40.

This one is from the end of spring training when the Orioles played the Dodgers in Baltimore.
Alan,

You have some great items. Thanks so much for posting your programs.

I try to find photos of Brooks in different number jerseys, but I haven’t been very successful. Never seen Brooks in #40 that I can recall.