NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2020, 08:11 AM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Randy Johnson versus Sandy Koufax in a one win for all?? Please......KOUFAX

If you are picking that based on Koufax getting to pitch off a higher mound, with a bigger strike zone, with a less lively ball, and vs a lineup with less threats up and down....and Johnson having none of those advantages...then yes, not only do you pick Koufax:

Then you also pick all these guys from 1968 over Johnson too:
Bobby Bolin 1.99
Bob Veale 2.05
Stan Bahnsen 2.05
Steve Blass 2.12
Ray Washburn 2.26
Jim Nash 2.28
Joe Horlen 2.37
Etc..Etc...Etc..

"The regular changing of mound height was eventually prohibited. In 1950, teams settled on a height of 15 inches for the mound. Despite this regulation, some teams were accused of using a higher than regulation height mound; Dodger Stadium was particularly notorious for having a high mound. Following the incredibly low scoring in 1968, the rules were changed to reduce the mound to the contemporary 10 inch height. Some accusations of gamesmanship with mounds continue, usually with visiting teams complaining that the mounds in the visitor's bullpen don't match the mound of the field, so that relievers entering the game aren't properly adapted to the game mound." -Baseball reference.

I think everyone knows the advantage a higher mound gives a pitcher.

It is the same advantage, that nobody in their right mind is going to pass up on a pitcher(Johnson) who is ten inches taller, throws harder, has greater command...and also is superior in all the other pitching tools and mental capacities. Nobody takes the inferior(Koufax)pitcher there....unless a person is fooled because that inferior pitcher is being judged on extreme advantages that give him the ILLUSION of superior effectiveness.

No Brainer.

If that is anyone's rationale, great, your choice...but then:

Would you also be willing to partake in a home run hitting contest against me if I got to use the live ball from last season, and you had to use a ball from 1965...and I got to hit in Coors field and you had to hit in Dodger Stadium? Also, the pitcher you are facing is six foot ten inches tall and throwing 85MPH, and the pitcher I am facing is five foot eight and throwing 75MPH.

I'm willing to bet that people would immediately change their tune on the context once it was applied to them directly

PS If Aaron Judge is on this board, I'm changing the context in our home run contest, that I get to hit in the field they play the Little League World Series on, and you have to hit in Old(DiMaggio) Yankee Stadium.

Then I can walk around saying I am a better home run hitter than Aaron Judge...just like the people saying that Koufax is better than Randy Johnson.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-02-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricNewspapers View Post
If you are picking that based on Koufax getting to pitch off a higher mound, with a bigger strike zone, with a less lively ball, and vs a lineup with less threats up and down....and Johnson having none of those advantages...then yes, not only do you pick Koufax:

Then you also pick all these guys from 1968 over Johnson too:
Bobby Bolin 1.99
Bob Veale 2.05
Stan Bahnsen 2.05
Steve Blass 2.12
Ray Washburn 2.26
Jim Nash 2.28
Joe Horlen 2.37
Etc..Etc...Etc..

"The regular changing of mound height was eventually prohibited. In 1950, teams settled on a height of 15 inches for the mound. Despite this regulation, some teams were accused of using a higher than regulation height mound; Dodger Stadium was particularly notorious for having a high mound. Following the incredibly low scoring in 1968, the rules were changed to reduce the mound to the contemporary 10 inch height. Some accusations of gamesmanship with mounds continue, usually with visiting teams complaining that the mounds in the visitor's bullpen don't match the mound of the field, so that relievers entering the game aren't properly adapted to the game mound." -Baseball reference.

I think everyone knows the advantage a higher mound gives a pitcher.

It is the same advantage, that nobody in their right mind is going to pass up on a pitcher(Johnson) who is ten inches taller, throws harder, has greater command...and also is superior in all the other pitching tools and mental capacities. Nobody takes the inferior(Koufax)pitcher there....unless a person is fooled because that inferior pitcher is being judged on extreme advantages that give him the ILLUSION of superior effectiveness.

No Brainer.

If that is anyone's rationale, great, your choice...but then:

Would you also be willing to partake in a home run hitting contest against me if I got to use the live ball from last season, and you had to use a ball from 1965...and I got to hit in Coors field and you had to hit in Dodger Stadium? Also, the pitcher you are facing is six foot ten inches tall and throwing 85MPH, and the pitcher I am facing is five foot eight and throwing 75MPH.

I'm willing to bet that people would immediately change their tune on the context once it was applied to them directly

PS If Aaron Judge is on this board, I'm changing the context in our home run contest, that I get to hit in the field they play the Little League World Series on, and you have to hit in Old(DiMaggio) Yankee Stadium.

Then I can walk around saying I am a better home run hitter than Aaron Judge...just like the people saying that Koufax is better than Randy Johnson.
Isn't it odd hat his great performances happened during the chemical enhancement era? He was dominant during 1995 to 2004 at the height of the steroid use.I know runs and home runs were way up during this period and yet he, clemens, martinez put up some ungodly numbers. We know Clemens was a cheater. Maybe the whole story has not come out.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:46 AM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
Isn't it odd hat his great performances happened during the chemical enhancement era? He was dominant during 1995 to 2004 at the height of the steroid use.I know runs and home runs were way up during this period and yet he, clemens, martinez put up some ungodly numbers. We know Clemens was a cheater. Maybe the whole story has not come out.

I wouldn't put it past anyone.

However, in Johnson's case it was simply a matter of harnessing his control....that is all well documented. I'm not going to bother going through that entire history, both story-wise or statistical wise.

He always had the 100 MPH heat.

Unless steroids made him grow six inches from 1992 compared to 1995?

However, if you bring the steroids up and Johnson was NOT doing them(which it is very unlikely he was, and there is zero suspicion of him), and many of his pitching peers were? That only makes Johnson even more impressive!

For instance, Johnson lost the Cy Young to Clemens in 2004! I appreciate you bringing that up. Johnson gets another Cy Young award...according to your premise.

He also came in second to Clemens in 1997. There is another Cy Young for the Big Unit!

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-02-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
I wouldn't put it past anyone.

However, in Johnson's case it was simply a matter of harnessing his control.

He always had the 100 MPH heat.

Unless steroids made him grow six inches from 1992 compared to 1995?

However, if you bring the steroids up and Johnson was NOT doing them, and many of his pitching peers were? That only makes Johnson even more impressive!

For instance, Johnson lost the Cy Young to Clemens in 2004! I appreciate you bringing that up. Johnson gets another Cy Young award...according to your premise.

He also came in second to Clemens in 1997. There is another Cy Young for the Big Unit!
As one baseball writer put it, "we don't vote for Clemens but we accept the accomplishments of other power pitchers that time". You like comparisons, so I like to compare him to Barry Bonds. Both got better with age.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:05 PM
Brian

Quote:
As one baseball writer put it, "we don't vote for Clemens but we accept the accomplishments of other power pitchers that time". You like comparisons, so I like to compare him to Barry Bonds. Both got better with age.
I'm personally undecided how to treat Clemens or Bonds. If you disregard steroids they are the best pitcher and best hitter ever respectively. However, I have no interest in getting into that debate

However, if you are going to ding Bonds and Clemens, then that just makes guys like Randy Johnson shine even brighter. Johnson gets a couple more Cy Youngs. I'll take this debate every day for the rest of the summer though. Maybe not every day...

I do want to point out, that as much as I am hailing Johnson over Koufax, I do agree that Koufax gets dinged a little too much by many sabermatricians for his home ballpark. It is definitely a factor, but the degree of which is indeed still up for debate.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-02-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Yes, Johnson pitching against a bunch of steroided up hitters in an offensively dominated era should count against him.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
I'm personally undecided how to treat Clemens or Bonds. If you disregard steroids they are the best pitcher and best hitter ever respectively. However, I have no interest in getting into that debate

However, if you are going to ding Bonds and Clemens, then that just makes guys like Randy Johnson shine even brighter. Johnson gets a couple more Cy Youngs. I'll take this debate every day for the rest of the summer though. Maybe not every day...

I do want to point out, that as much as I am hailing Johnson over Koufax, I do agree that Koufax gets dinged a little too much by many sabermatricians for his home ballpark. It is definitely a factor, but the degree of which is indeed still up for debate.

You keep assuming your boy was clean. During that period no one gets a pass That's all I got to say. I will leave it up the the readers. lol.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Jeff

Don't buy the if one did they all did - everyone's a cheater.
I think we seek ways to excuse the behavior of those we admire.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-02-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Brian

Quote:
You keep assuming your boy was clean. During that period no one gets a pass That's all I got to say. I will leave it up the the readers. lol.

Like I said, I don't put it past anyone.

However, if they were all doing it like you said, then isn't it a level playing field??

As it stands, the Big Unit looks like the least likely candidate to be doing PED's, with zero credible suspicions, let alone evidence.

Clemens has pretty good evidence that he was deep in PED.

Therefore, based on your assertions of not counting PED accomplishments, that gives Randy Johnson two more Cy Young awards.

Did Johnson grow six inches from 1992-1995 or gain 8 MPH?? If not, then those attributes are what made him what he was. Once he was able to repeat his mechanics and developed control...he became the best lefty in the history of baseball, both at as his peak and for his career

And no, Lefty Grove cannot match those attributes either. There is zero evidence to support placing Lefty Grove on a pitchers mound over Randy Johnson. Johnson has him beat in every measurable attribute you look for in a pitcher, as well as the 'intangibles' needed to succeed as a professional player. There would be zero point in taking a pitcher who is ten inches smaller, throws slower, has lesser break on his pitches, and has lesser command....assuming their mental and competitive capacities are the same(and Johnson obviously proved his mettle there).

As for 'my boy', I'm beholden to no other human. I'm simply looking from an objective view point, backed with knowledge, logic, and common sense.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-02-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:01 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

And no, Lefty Grove cannot match those attributes either. There is zero evidence to support placing Lefty Grove on a pitchers mound over Randy Johnson. Johnson has him beat in every measurable attribute you look for in a pitcher, as well as the 'intangibles' needed to succeed as a professional player. There would be zero point in taking a pitcher who is ten inches smaller, throws slower, has lesser break on his pitches, and has lesser command....assuming their mental and competitive capacities are the same(and Johnson obviously proved his mettle there).
How do you know this?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
How do you know this?

How do I know how tall each player was? Pretty simple.

Lefty Grove did not throw 100MPH. He did not throw as hard a Bob Feller.

The break on the pitches is pretty clear and has a strong correlation to how much torque is put on the ball.

I also know that the average fastball has risen over time.

I know that in the 20's and 30's there were several players who were swinging 40oz plus bats and having no problem getting around on the ball. That tells you that the ball is simply not coming in as fast. That many players cannot do that against 100 MPH pitches when you also have to guard against a breaking pitch.

However, if anyone puts Grove ahead of Johnson...It's close enough that I'm not going to bother debating it.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-02-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Tony. Biviano

It’s funny how you continue to ignore the suspicion of steroid use. From ages 36 to 39 head pitching like Koufax (the peak of steroid use) He began to decline soon after with sky high eras, coincidence?
Old 08-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Brian

Quote:
It’s funny how you continue to ignore the suspicion of steroid use. From ages 36 to 39 head pitching like Koufax (the peak of steroid use) He began to decline soon after with sky high eras, coincidence?

If you have credible evidence, I'm all ears.

Currently, you are the only person I've ever heard accusing Randy Johnson of steroid use. But I like your idea of giving Randy Johnson two more Cy Young awards because Clemens was doing steroids. Me personally, I still don't want to knock Clemens, because if like you said, "they all did steroids", then they all played on the same level playing field.

If you have something solid, put it forward.

Then where do you draw the line with Koufax getting elbow injections etc...? Who is to say if there were steroids in those injections? Seems like a slippery slope.

Your statement above doesn't make a lot of sense though. Please rephrase it. After age 36-39 you are saying he had sky high ERA's?

Are his ERA's supposed to stay the same until age 60?

Age 40 his ERA was 2.60.

He went back to the American League after that, which will cause a jump in his raw ERA.

From age 41-45 his ERA in the AL was 4.28. ERA+ 104.

Nothing sky high there, it was better than average.

Actually, the natural decline would show the OPPOSITE of steroid use. When you eclipse age 40, your skills tend decline soon. He was also injured in those years.

But I like your premise saying that injuries cost Randy Johnson elite ERA's until age 60. That makes his case even better as the best ever. That makes him the best athlete ever.

You are grasping...but if you believe Randy Johnson did steroids, put forth the evidence. More power to you.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-02-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
It's funny how you ignore my requests that you tell us which of Grove's stats are "questionable."
Old 08-02-2020, 06:07 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
How do I know how tall each player was? Pretty simple.
I didn't question the height difference.

Quote:
Lefty Grove did not throw 100MPH. He did not throw as hard a Bob Feller.
On what do you base this conclusion?

Quote:
The break on the pitches is pretty clear and has a strong correlation to how much torque is put on the ball.
Johnson was a foot taller than Camilo Pascual, who was a 20 game winner a couple of times and was famous in his day for his curveball. How can you say Johnson's curve was better than Pascual's, or Grove's?

Quote:
I also know that the average fastball has risen over time.
Well, since most Olymipic records, especially track and swimming, do not hold up well over time, I guess we can simply conclude the best athletes are the recent ones, period. Fastballs are getting faster, as are runners, and hitters are getting stronger, etc.

Quote:
I know that in the 20's and 30's there were several players who were swinging 40oz plus bats and having no problem getting around on the ball. That tells you that the ball is simply not coming in as fast. That many players cannot do that against 100 MPH pitches when you also have to guard against a breaking pitch.
Back in the day, most hitters, with a few notable exceptions, didn't hold the bat down at the end of the knob, to swing for the fences. They choked up a bit, had shorter, more compact swings, and let the weight of the bat do the work, as opposed to relying on their arm/bat speed to do so.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Lefty Grove’s stats are made up by jock sniffers and Randy Johnson was a steroid abusing cheater because... he was alive when some other people did?

How is this the actual argument for Koufax? This is the stupidest argument one could possibly make. Can we move on to applying some rationality and considering the actual candidates instead of this garbage?
Old 08-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Lefty Grove’s stats are made up by jock sniffers and Randy Johnson was a steroid abusing cheater because... he was alive when some other people did?

How is this the actual argument for Koufax? This is the stupidest argument one could possibly make. Can we move on to applying some rationality and considering the actual candidates instead of this garbage?
I think Tony is more interested in a "mike drop" moment instead of a cohesive debate. Maybe he's a politician?
Old 08-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Rob

Default Somebody might be gaining

I haven't followed the whole thread, I guess y'all ended up deciding on Glavine?

Heads up on Framber Valdez. Highest spin-rate going and Trout says he has the best stuff he's seen.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:

If you say it’s stupid, then it must be.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
It's funny how you ignore my requests that you tell us which of Grove's stats are "questionable."
Groves stats as well as others in that era and before are suspect because we have no idea how records were kept, how lenient scoring was and most of all the hitting Just wasn’t that great. I hope that my opinion satisfies your craving as to my meaning of suspect.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Groves stats as well as others in that era and before are suspect because we have no idea how records were kept, how lenient scoring was and most of all the hitting Just wasn’t that great. I hope that my opinion satisfies your craving as to my meaning of suspect.
Once again, this is easily proven to be completely false garbage. We do know how records were kept. The majors have excellent documentation of this period, for every single league game. What game are the records incorrect or incomplete for? Just one, solitary example.

How was scoring more lenient in 1930 than in 1965?

Hitting WAS great. Far better than during Koufax's period. We can see this in the stats. It's basic math; many more runs were scored in an average game in 1930 than in 1965. This has been explained about 300 times in this thread.

You did not say they were "suspect", you actually said his stats were made up by jock sniffers (implying that God Sandy's are not). But fine, we'll go with suspect.

Have any evidence for your charges about Johnson? Whatsoever? No?

Can we please find a rational argument for the views advanced? We've had logical cases presented for Grove and Johnson. I guess logic is for jock sniffers. This is even more ridiculous than basing a case upon anecdotes one likes. Denying easily verifiable facts is absurd.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:04 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Holy Crazy Train! No idea how records were kept?? It wasn't the dark ages. So you discount Walter, Cy, Hornsby, Ott, Cobb and Wagner? And that non-great hitting includes those bums Ruth and Gehrig, but they probably sucked because the scorekeepers were so lenient.

This from they guy who says Koufax must be the best of all time because he's the youngest HOFer, cause all the other guys ruined their careers by playing longer

In all seriousness, you might want to avoid discussions on baseball history.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:

Quote:
Once again, this is easily proven to be completely false garbage. We do know how records were kept. The majors have excellent documentation of this period, for every single league game. What game are the records incorrect or incomplete for? Just one, solitary example.

How was scoring more lenient in 1930 than in 1965?

Hitting WAS great. Far better than during Koufax's period. We can see this in the stats. It's basic math; many more runs were scored in an average game in 1930 than in 1965. This has been explained about 300 times in this thread.

You did not say they were "suspect", you actually said his stats were made up by jock sniffers (implying that God Sandy's are not). But fine, we'll go with suspect.

Have any evidence for your charges about Johnson? Whatsoever? No?

Can we please find a rational argument for the views advanced? We've had logical cases presented for Grove and Johnson. I guess logic is for jock sniffers. This is even more ridiculous than basing a case upon anecdotes one likes. Denying easily verifiable facts is absurd.
I have to evidence against Johnson because I did not accuse him of directly taking steroids. He is suspect as others who performed over their heads as they got older
Old 08-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Holy Crazy Train! No idea how records were kept?? It wasn't the dark ages. So you discount Walter, Cy, Hornsby, Ott, Cobb and Wagner? And that non-great hitting includes those bums Ruth and Gehrig, but they probably sucked because the scorekeepers were so lenient.

This from they guy who says Koufax must be the best of all time because he's the youngest HOFer, cause all the other guys ruined their careers by playing longer

In all seriousness, you might want to avoid discussions on baseball history.
This from a guy who is an Early Wynn fan. What happened to you?
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The logic just gets better and better. All the options before Koufax have "suspect" stats from bad record-keeping (a completely made up fiction, please identify a single such gap in the records) and the work of "jock sniffers". The options after Koufax have to be dismissed because other players cheated.

I don't think you have any idea what "all time" means.... If our premise is that only Sandy Koufax even qualifies to be discussed, well I guess he is the best. This is mindless drivel.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:55 AM

Quote:
ERA+ measures the domiance vs their peers. That is not misused at all: However, no point beating a dead horse:

So the pitchers were elite in 1900-1915 with all those 2.11 ERA's and 40 complete games a year...then forgot how to pitch in the 1930's, then were elite again in the 1960s....but just a few years later forgot how to pitch again when offense upticked....then got real good in the late 80's/early 90's...then forgot how to pitch again starting in 1994?

Sounds like a good plan.

If we flip the switch onto the hitters and peak dominance:

Dante Bichette 1995-1999, 162 game average:
33 HR
137 RBI
.318 BA

Willie Mays best five year stretch in the 1960's when he won an MVP and finished in top five three other of those years.

46 HR
118 RBI
.304 BA

Hank Aaron
40 HR
120 RBI

Bichette beats both in two out of three categories. Raw stats only count remember. If no ERA+, then no OPS+. So if you are championing Koufax and his raw numbers compared to Randy Johnson, then that same method makes Bichette a better hitter at his peak than both Mays and Aaron in the 1960's.

Welcome to the HOF Dante Bichette.

PS The ONLY measurable across eras is:

If you are out there selecting a team, please let me know if you have two pitchers with equal mental capacity, and one is ten inches taller than the other, throws 5-7 MPH harder, has better command, better movement, and more physical mental toughness in pitching through pain.

I'll take the taller kid. You can have the other one.
You cannot use ERA+ to compare pitchers between eras. Here are the Topps RCs of starting pitchers elected to the HOF by the BBWAA.

1955 Koufax
1957 Drysdale
1959 Gibson
1961 Marichal
1963 Perry
1964 Niekro
1965 Carlton
1965 Hunter
1966 Palmer
1966 Sutton
1966 Jenkins
1967 Seaver
1968 Ryan
1971 Blyleven
1987 Maddux

Between 1955 and 1967 13 starting pitchers elected by the BBWAA to the HOF made their MLB debut. From 1971-1985 zero. MLB talent is not the same from era to era.

I have already shown that why people discount stats of Rockies players, average park factors 118. So, you think picking a Rockies player makes a valid comparison? Lol.
It is not like Bichette faced anywhere near the pitching talent that Mays or Aaron did.

There is a simple reason for the above. MLB was integrated between 1947-1960 seeing an increase in talent in baseball. The rise of the NFL in the 70s and NBA in the 80s has diverted talent from MLB to the NBA and NFL. Jackie Robinson played pro football before baseball. If he was playing pro sports today, it would be in the NFL. Bob Gibson played with the Globetrotters before baseball. If Gibson were playing today, most likely it would be the NBA.

I will take Koufax over Johnson or any other lefty and win championships.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:43 AM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
You cannot use ERA+ to compare pitchers between eras. Here are the Topps RCs of starting pitchers elected to the HOF by the BBWAA.

1955 Koufax
1957 Drysdale
1959 Gibson
1961 Marichal
1963 Perry
1964 Niekro
1965 Carlton
1965 Hunter
1966 Palmer
1966 Sutton
1966 Jenkins
1967 Seaver
1968 Ryan
1971 Blyleven
1987 Maddux

Between 1955 and 1967 13 starting pitchers elected by the BBWAA to the HOF made their MLB debut. From 1971-1985 zero. MLB talent is not the same from era to era.

I have already shown that why people discount stats of Rockies players, average park factors 118. So, you think picking a Rockies player makes a valid comparison? Lol.
It is not like Bichette faced anywhere near the pitching talent that Mays or Aaron did.

There is a simple reason for the above. MLB was integrated between 1947-1960 seeing an increase in talent in baseball. The rise of the NFL in the 70s and NBA in the 80s has diverted talent from MLB to the NBA and NFL. Jackie Robinson played pro football before baseball. If he was playing pro sports today, it would be in the NFL. Bob Gibson played with the Globetrotters before baseball. If Gibson were playing today, most likely it would be the NBA.

I will take Koufax over Johnson or any other lefty and win championships.
Nice try, but wrong on every count.

So NOW you understand park factor when it pertains to the Rockies??? But ignore it when it pertains to Koufax? Hilarious. Superb. Nice try.

And if your criteria is Championships, then Whitey Ford or Madison Bumgarner are your pitchers.

And if winning is all that mattered, how do you pick a pitcher who only won 165 games over someone who won 304??

Population and talent is a whole other exercise I can take you through....but it is long and won't look pretty on your end of the debate. In short, African American participation declined in MLB, but Latino participation rose at a higher rate than that decline.

There were also many more people to draw from in general in the 1990's onward, compared to 1960's and previous.

Over time, players have continued to be bigger, faster, and stronger in every aspect. The athletes are getting better...not worse. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

When is the last time you worked with growing athletes to draw your conclusions from?? Athletes are better than ever right now. Period. Romantic viewpoints of yesteryear does not change that fact.

World Wild inclusion also became far more impactful. So instead of just drawing American born talent, it was from all over the world. You had millions upon millions more people to draw from, from other countries.

All that adds up to far more available MLB talent that any expansion or popularity of basketball or football.

Kids that can throw 98 MPH with success, play baseball regardless how good they are at other sports. So those other sports are not taking pitchers away from MLB. Sorry. The average MLB fastball has risen steadily over the years. Based on your premise, it should be declining...not rising. They are not only throwing harder, they are taller too. They can also place the ball better. They also have an array of pitches as well. Nasty ones.

Fielding percentages in baseball have risen steadily over time...another sign of the superior athlete. EVERY shortstop today makes throws from the hole with ease now...throws that only an elite few could make even as late as the 1970's. There is zero comparison between the arms of now compared to the arms of then. If basketball and football are taking athletes away from baseball...then how are the fielders continually getting better over time?? How are their arms getting stronger if athletes are being lost to other sports??? How are they running FASTER? If your premise that competition was better then, then the players should be running SLOWER now, NOT FASTER!

So the players now can catch the ball better, throw it better, and run faster. Yet they aren't as good??? Yeah that makes total sense...lol.

Please...football and basketball were both mainstays already in the 1960's. Basketball was actually the more popular high school sport even then.

In the meantime, you enjoy taking Joe Horlen and company over Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Max Scherzer, etc...and all those other pitchers from the 1960's who had better ERA's than superior pitchers.

You are picking it based on an illusion of the rules, not on the talent of the players.

Otherwise who would pick a pitcher who is ten inches shorter, throws seven MPH slower, has less command, and less MENTAL CAPACITY? NOBODY. Unless someone was fooled because the rules of the time dictated that his numbers 'looked' a tad better. You got fooled. NOt going to fault you for it, but you did.

Yes, Koufax had less mental attributes. Koufax quit...which makes him soft. I would use another word, but don't want to offend anyone. If he isn't soft, then he is unreliable. Neither are good attributes. If he isn't unreliable, then he is made of glass. Again, not a good attribute in an athlete when there are others who don't have those issues.

Lets go have a contest you and me.

We will play a baseball game against each other. When I am pitching, I will pitch off of a mound that is 15 inches high, will use a dead ball, and the strike zone will be strictly from the arm pits to the knees. We will play in the largest field at a local complex.

When you pitch, you will have to pitch off of flat ground, use the live ball from last MLB season, and the strike zone will be from the knees to my waist. For your pitching, we will move to the smallest field at the local complex(but you will still be pitching from 60 feet 6).

Put your money where your premise is. If you don't think those factors matter, then lets make a wager and have that contest.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-03-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:43 AM
Tony. Biviano

"Yes, Koufax had less mental attributes. Koufax quit...which makes him soft. I would use another word, but don't want to offend anyone. If he isn't soft, then he is unreliable. Neither are good attributes. If he isn't unreliable, then he is made of glass. Again, not a good attribute in an athlete when there are others who don't have those issues."

So now you are a doctor. You could diagnose Koufax on his mental attributes and the extent of his rheumatoid arthritis. The stupidest statement yet that he is a quitter. You lost all credibility. Come to think of it, I would rather be a quitter than a cheater.

Last edited by cammb; 08-03-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:59 AM

Calling Koufax a quitter is kind of a head scratcher. When you think about yourself in your life, how often do you keep doing something that causes you immense pain for the entertainment of others?
Old 08-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Implying Sandy was mentally incompetent because his arm was injured is as horrible an argument as calling Johnson a cheater with no credible evidence whatsoever, or claiming that record keeping before Koufax’s first start was not done thoroughly.

There are logical arguments, supported by actual evidence, that can be made. Why do we keep drifting into deeper absurdity with every post instead?
Old 08-03-2020, 12:18 PM
Brian

"Yes, Koufax had less mental attributes. Koufax quit...which makes him soft. I would use another word, but don't want to offend anyone. If he isn't soft, then he is unreliable. Neither are good attributes. If he isn't unreliable, then he is made of glass. Again, not a good attribute in an athlete when there are others who don't have those issues."

You choose which one made him quit. It is one of the three. I'm merely going through the choices that led to him stopping while others didn't. The wording may seem a tad harsh. I personally don't think he is a 'quitter' in the sense that word is usually associated with quitting. But in the end, one guy is there to play and the other isn't.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-03-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Calling Koufax a quitter is kind of a head scratcher. When you think about yourself in your life, how often do you keep doing something that causes you immense pain for the entertainment of others?

I thought he was doing it to get paid. If he was pitching with pain out of the kindness of his heart for the entertainment of others, my apologies.

Me? Quite often actually. Just not in the spotlight. I've thrown millions of pitches to hitters for their benefit(it was/is for a little more than entertainment,but you can call it entertainment if you want)...and it is to the detriment of my body. And often after already working my day job. Sucks getting old.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-03-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Brian

Quote:

So now you are a doctor. You could diagnose Koufax on his mental attributes and the extent of his rheumatoid arthritis. The stupidest statement yet that he is a quitter. You lost all credibility. Come to think of it, I would rather be a quitter than a cheater.

Yes me too. Thats why I agree with you in giving Randy Johnson two more Cy Young awards because, as you say "Clemens cheated" to win them over Johnson.

Seven Cy Young awards...pretty impressive. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-03-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:33 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Who had better relief pitching numbers?
Old 08-03-2020, 05:35 PM

Back to original post - best lefty of all time. Longevity does count a lot toward "Best All Time", does it not? Peak value is also very important. And other pieces to the puzzle also count - stadium, mound, time in which they played, etc.

But if you are looking at the whole puzzle, chances are slim Koufax is the man. Grove and Randy Johnson are better choices - overall - all things considered.

Now if the original post was, "which lefty had the greatest Peak Value?" Koufax definitely then enters into discussion as possibly the best.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Bill Mc.Nutt

Sandy Koufax, then Randy Johnson.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:44 AM

Don’t mean to exhume such an old debate, but I sure wish I saw this in its heyday.

Huge southpaw buff here, and in the pre-blog days (early aughts) I spent far more time than I’d care to admit analyzing/ranking any and all lefties.

While I didn’t read all 636 posts, I thoroughly enjoyed the outstanding analysis and comments supporting and critiquing each candidate.

No point adding my own list, but I did want to echo the sentiment that peak value carries tremendous weight when determining “greatness”. It almost cannot be argued that without it, Koufax’s legacy would not have existed at all.

By this I mean even if he compiled the same exact single season totals, but only staggered across his career rather than being super-concentrated as they were, we would not be talking about him in nearly the same light.

Lest we forget that it was actually his non-statistical narrative that has fuelled his mystique to this day in a way no other pitcher has. The no-no’s, the hardware, the championships, the conviction not to pitch in the World Series on his Sabbath, the early retirement after the greatest final season ever, his post-retirement reclusiveness, etc…

Sandy’s peak cannot be overestimated because it has endured for 55 years now. 55 years and he is still being discussed among the young and less-than-young. Among casual fans and the most ardent students of the game. Among the vast majority of us who are relegated to YouTube highlights and the privileged surviving few who witnessed his magic in person (who when you think about it, would have to be at least about 70 right now to have a vivid and full appreciation of what they saw then).

How many retired players period are still revered the way Koufax has been…let alone for half a century+?

Say what you will about how fans tend to carry selective memories when it comes to their teams/heroes, but can millions upon millions be wrong?

Among hitters, the list is much longer of course (Ruth, Mantle (see my previous question), Mays, Clemente, Aaron, etc…), but among pitchers? I contend an honest list would be limited to Cy Young, who despite the eponymous annual award, doesn’t even qualify for this debate because he threw with the wrong hand Curiously, Young’s mystique is nearly the polar opposite of Koufax’s as it leans almost exclusively on his otherworldly career output.

Don’t scoff when I say just Young…name one other pitcher who stopped playing before Sandy did, and who not only lives but flourishes in our modern collective consciousness the way Koufax does?

Does Big Train (who is certainly #1 ever) honestly evoke that emotion? If not Walter, how can any other until Koufax came along? That is the essence of peak value.

Okay, let’s move the chains to post-Sandy. Nolan Ryan? Fair, but not exactly a “peak” guy the way Sandy was. Plus, that was a mere 28 years ago since he finally hung up his cleats. Double that and see if we are still gushing (spoiler alert, we are).

Pedro? C’mon, that was just 12 years ago…practically yesterday. Will we still be romanticizing his exploits in 2064 (43 years from now to match the 55 year retirement Sandy has today)?

Koufax meanwhile, while still with us, has been largely absent from the public eye for several decades, so it is not like we are being spoon fed regular reminders of him through appearances, autograph signings, commercials, etc…. His “greatness”, however you wish to define it, speaks for itself and stands on its own…sabermetrics be damned The essence of peak value, and why he’s in the conversation in the first place.

Now career value is another matter…Spahn is my guy.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:52 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Spahn is also my guy for career feats.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:27 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post

Don’t scoff when I say just Young…name one other pitcher who stopped playing before Sandy did, and who not only lives but flourishes in our modern collective consciousness the way Koufax does?
I think this small part of what you wrote (all of which I read) encapsulates the reverence of Koufax. Other than having a killer nickname (Seriously you're not doing better than the Left Arm of God) Koufax's career is the perfect blend of Greatness combined with "What If"

People saw Koufax at his peak, rattling off three Cy Young awards in four years, winning three pitching triple crowns, yet his name always comes up with "oh well if he was healthy, he'd probably have even more" His strikeout numbers for his career, while pedestrian by today's standards, were extremely impressive for the time, he ranked 7th all time, when he hung them up, despite the bulk of them coming in the latter half of his career that lasted only 12 seasons.

I think it's very hard to argue against Koufax's peak. The only thing he has working against him is the offensive climate of the league at the time, which I suppose would work in someone like Randy Johnson's favor, who pitched in a more difficult offensive environment, but I think we hit a level of greatness where it's almost impossible to distinguish, even through statistics who was better. It's more along the lines of "flip a coin" of who would you rather pitch. Because really Whether it be The Unit, Koufax, or Grove it's going to be extremely hard to pick.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I like to look at peak performance and Baseball Reference has a good short-hand look at the peak 7 year performances. Seven years is enough to weed out the anomalous streaks but short enough to discount cumulative stats due to longevity:

Grove:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (7th):
106.8 career WAR | 65.6 7yr-peak WAR | 86.2 JAWS | 6.8 WAR/162

Johnson:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (10th):
101.1 career WAR | 61.5 7yr-peak WAR | 81.3 JAWS | 5.6 WAR/162

Koufax:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (90th):
48.9 career WAR | 46.0 7yr-peak WAR | 47.4 JAWS | 4.7 WAR/162

Kershaw:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (34th):
71.9 career WAR | 49.7 7yr-peak WAR | 60.8 JAWS | 6.4 WAR/162

Hubbell:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (40th):
68.5 career WAR | 47.7 7yr-peak WAR | 58.1 JAWS | 4.8 WAR/162

I'm a huge Koufax fan and Kersh is a Dodger too, but Grove was just...better. As for Kersh and Koufax (which is a big debate in True Blue LA), gotta give it to Koufax based on what went into each season (Kersh pitches a lot less) and post-season performances.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-07-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:55 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I like to look at peak performance and Baseball Reference has a good short-hand look at the peak 7 year performances. Seven years is enough to weed out the anomalous streaks but short enough to discount cumulative stats due to longevity:

Grove:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (7th):
106.8 career WAR | 65.6 7yr-peak WAR | 86.2 JAWS | 6.8 WAR/162

Johnson:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (10th):
101.1 career WAR | 61.5 7yr-peak WAR | 81.3 JAWS | 5.6 WAR/162

Koufax:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (90th):
48.9 career WAR | 46.0 7yr-peak WAR | 47.4 JAWS | 4.7 WAR/162

Kershaw:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (34th):
71.9 career WAR | 49.7 7yr-peak WAR | 60.8 JAWS | 6.4 WAR/162

Hubbell:
JAWS Starting Pitcher (40th):
68.5 career WAR | 47.7 7yr-peak WAR | 58.1 JAWS | 4.8 WAR/162

I'm a huge Koufax fan and Kersh is a Dodger too, but Grove was just...better. As for Kersh and Koufax (which is a big debate in True Blue LA), gotta give it to Koufax based on what went into each season (Kersh pitches a lot less) and post-season performances.
I wanted to say that the only downfall to this is (or maybe to the argument for Koufax) that Koufax's peak, was shorter than seven years. He Burned bright, and quickly. Looking at the final four years of his career, in comparison to Grove's best four and Johnson's best four, Grove still edges him out, just barely in terms of WAR. To be quite frank, however I'd really be happy with any of them starting a "do or die" game for me!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

The debate about whether and to what extent longevity and milestone stats matter will never be settled. It's come up for the millionth time with the retirement of Posey. I tend to agree that JAWS is a pretty good compromise.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-07-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:32 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The debate about whether and to what extent longevity and milestone stats matter will never be settled. It's come up for the millionth time with the retirement of Posey. I tend to agree that JAWS is a pretty good compromise.
I agree, IF you are talking HOF-worthiness, because 7/10 years is a pretty good measure for an average HOFer. Cumulation stats are less and less valuable as players take better care of themselves and play longer. If Koufax was playing today he'd be on a strict pitch count and would last longer but would have cumulative stats a lot more like Kershaw's.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-07-2021, 10:33 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Whether it’s the best 4 years (a number selected solely with the goal of making Koufax try and win), best 5 years, best 7 years, best decade, or best career value, it doesn’t seem to matter for LHP. The math-centered answer relative to context is still Lefty Grove. His margin of victory changes, but he still comes out on top with any of them.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Whether it’s the best 4 years (a number selected solely with the goal of making Koufax try and win), best 5 years, best 7 years, best decade, or best career value, it doesn’t seem to matter for LHP. The math-centered answer relative to context is still Lefty Grove. His margin of victory changes, but he still comes out on top with any of them.
I would think on best 4 or 5 years Unit would be way up there?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:14 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Do not forget about Greg Maddux

4 years 92, 93, 94, 95 with 4 Straight Cy Young Awards

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-07-2021, 11:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Do not forget about Greg Maddux

4 years 92, 93, 94, 95 with 4 Straight Cy Young Awards
I thought this was about lefties.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:24 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I thought this was about lefties.
Brain fart. My Bad.
Maddux is a Righty.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-07-2021, 11:49 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Up there, but not quite there. Using Baseball Reference WAR, though frankly I'm not a big fan of WAR:

Top 4:
Grove: 11.2, 10.4, 10.4, 9.8 = 41.8
Johnson: 10.7, 10.1, 9.1, 8.6 = 38.5
Koufax: 10.7, 10.3, 8.1, 7.3 = 36.4

Top 5
Grove: 11.2, 10.4, 10.4, 9.8, 9.5 = 51.3
Johnson: 10.7, 10.1, 9.1, 8.6, 8.4 = 46.9
Koufax: 10.7, 10.3, 8.1, 7.3, 5.7 = 42.1

These are the methods trying to punish Grove and reward other favored candidates, but Grove still wins. I'd put Johnson and Spahn 2nd and 3rd. Spahn obviously fairs poorly in top 4 or 5 season only ranking as his great value was his consistent excellence and not short greatness. My takeaway from the first 630 posts last year was that there is no math-based rational argument for Koufax at all, but the emotional ties to him are very strong for a great many.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Up there, but not quite there. Using Baseball Reference WAR, though frankly I'm not a big fan of WAR:

Top 4:
Grove: 11.2, 10.4, 10.4, 9.8 = 41.8
Johnson: 10.7, 10.1, 9.1, 8.6 = 38.5
Koufax: 10.7, 10.3, 8.1, 7.3 = 36.4

Top 5
Grove: 11.2, 10.4, 10.4, 9.8, 9.5 = 51.3
Johnson: 10.7, 10.1, 9.1, 8.6, 8.4 = 46.9
Koufax: 10.7, 10.3, 8.1, 7.3, 5.7 = 42.1

These are the methods trying to punish Grove and reward other favored candidates, but Grove still wins. I'd put Johnson and Spahn 2nd and 3rd. Spahn obviously fairs poorly in top 4 or 5 season only ranking as his great value was his consistent excellence and not short greatness. My takeaway from the first 630 posts last year was that there is no math-based rational argument for Koufax at all, but the emotional ties to him are very strong for a great many.
Perhaps the most succinct and accurate statement in the entire thread. There is no place for math or rationale in the heart of a fan(atic).