NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2020, 07:10 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

This is pretty mind boggling. Its a serialized card, where it is described as having issues present in 2006, that are no longer there.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:36 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
One of the bigger scum bags in the hobby is always threatening with his lawyer when called out for his super shady dealings.
You'll have to be more specific; that could apply to dozens of hobby parasites.

As for Blowout, the owner folded in the face of an obvious bluff. They should have told whoever sent the demand letter to go f^< k themselves. A case against Blowout for something a poster wrote has no merit because Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act gives interactive online services of all types broad immunity from defamation claims stemming from content created by others:

"No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider."

The threat is so lacking in legal justification that after the lawsuit is thrown out of Federal court, BO could sue the attorney stupid enough to file the case for malicious prosecution. In state courts in Cali and some other states with anti-SLAPP laws (laws that punish the use of frivolous lawsuits to stifle debates about issues relevant to a segment of the public), the case would be disposed of in the initial pleading stages as well, with sanctions against the plaintiff for bringing it in the first place.

All BO has now done is to geld the board: anyone who is angry at anything posted just needs to send a lawyer letter and it will be censored.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-30-2020, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have gotten many Cease And Desist letters. Almost all of them I just laugh at. Since lawyers started understanding what Section 230 does (defines who a publisher of information is) they mostly quit. And of course a forum owner is not liable for what a member says, so I never have had a concern. I can even edit someone's post, and as long as I don't change the meaning, I am still not liable. I have told a few lawyers to go read 230, F off and get back to me. None ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You'll have to be more specific; that could apply to dozens of hobby parasites.

As for Blowout, the owner folded in the face of an obvious bluff. They should have told whoever sent the demand letter to go f^< k themselves. A case against Blowout for something a poster wrote has no merit because Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act gives interactive online services of all types broad immunity from defamation claims stemming from content created by others:

"No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider."

The threat is so lacking in legal justification that after the lawsuit is thrown out of Federal court, BO could sue the attorney stupid enough to file the case for malicious prosecution. In state courts in Cali and some other states with anti-SLAPP laws (laws that punish the use of frivolous lawsuits to stifle debates about issues relevant to a segment of the public), the case would be disposed of in the initial pleading stages as well, with sanctions against the plaintiff for bringing it in the first place.

All BO has now done is to geld the board: anyone who is angry at anything posted just needs to send a lawyer letter and it will be censored.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have gotten many Cease And Desist letters. Almost all of them I just laugh at. Since lawyers started understanding what Section 230 does (defines who a publisher of information is) they mostly quit. And of course a forum owner is not liable for what a member says, so I never have had a concern. I can even edit someone's post, and as long as I don't change the meaning, I am still not liable. I have told a few lawyers to go read 230, F off and get back to me. None ever did.
Plus, no tort has been committed. Its a shame Blowout got intimidated and shut the thread down. Like Adam, I would have told the guy to shove is altered card up his backside.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:25 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Plus, no tort has been committed. Its a shame Blowout got intimidated and shut the thread down. Like Adam, I would have told the guy to shove is altered card up his backside.
I think they did the right thing. The thread wasn't poofed (that would be bad) instead they just locked it and provided scans warning other members that perhaps they (NOT BO) could get hit with a letter, too.

Actually a nice little jab BO did to PWCC, BGS, and the card owner.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:40 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Has the FBI officially closed this case?
Old 09-28-2020, 07:47 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
I don't think so.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:57 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Not sure, their lawyer did an excellent job of making the whole thing disappear. Like posters on his forum.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:37 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If the FBI thinks that issuing a few random refunds exonerates PWCC and PSA from the fraud they committed, that's really sad.

Hopefully they realize that 99% of the altered cards sold have not been refunded, and that the vast majority are still circulating among countless dealers/auction houses/collectors.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:13 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Fbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
If the FBI thinks that issuing a few random refunds exonerates PWCC and PSA from the fraud they committed, that's really sad.

Hopefully they realize that 99% of the altered cards sold have not been refunded, and that the vast majority are still circulating among countless dealers/auction houses/collectors.
If only they would delve deeper we would all be a lot happier, but given the present state of affairs in the country they're not sending Elliot Ness and the Untouchables out to Oregon anytime soon. (Yeah I know he was a Treasury agent, but how much name recognition does Melvin Purvis have?)

Last edited by mantlefan; 09-28-2020 at 05:16 PM.