NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Your thoughts on accepting consignments from card doctors? Good thing or bad thing?
Are they in TPG holders? But besides that I don't associate with people who I think are doing bad things in the hobby. So, I guess that answer would be no. But even with a No answer, how hard is it for scammer to give the graded cards to another person to consign for them?

Last edited by Leon; 05-08-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Maybe because I spoke with him about it? Not really rocket science. How many times have you spoken with him?
The same number of times I’ve spoken to Bill Mastro.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Are they in TPG holders? But besides that I don't associate with people who I think are doing bad things in the hobby.
So if he does associate with them, is that a bad thing?

And please don't play the hiding behind the TPG card, given your knowledge of how many altered cards are in TPG holders.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-08-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
The same number of times I’ve spoken to Bill Mastro.
I agree that you are ignorant.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:32 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Your thoughts on accepting consignments from card doctors? Good thing or bad thing?
What would banning a card doctor from consigning solve? They would just consign under a different name or have a friend or relative send the cards in.

As for this alteration vs conservation discussion I don't think the distinction is necessary from a seller or auction house. I'd be more interested to hear what PSA or SGC think.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:32 AM
David Ros.enberg

Quote:
How old are you? T
Old 05-08-2019, 08:35 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Your thoughts on a defense attorney defending a client they know are guilty? Good thing or bad thing?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
How old are you? T
F you.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1292005
Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
How do you know what Brent is thinking? Or what he is doing knowingly? From what he tells you?

Just his opinion, and he has his full name in the post!

When new $ enters a hobby, and they get fleeced, usually they never come back.
Kind of silly when a simple search, on Pwccs on site, shows multiples of the same card relisted doctored or not.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Your thoughts on a defense attorney defending a client they know are guilty? Good thing or bad thing?
1. I have no idea how that is relevant here.
2. Our society made a judgment centuries ago that all criminal defendants no matter how evil have the right to the effective assistance of counsel before they can be convicted. So I would say that ensuring that a defendant is afforded his or her constitutional rights is a good thing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 AM
David Ros.enberg

Quote:
F you.
Infraction
Old 05-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
What would banning a card doctor from consigning solve? They would just consign under a different name or have a friend or relative send the cards in.

As for this alteration vs conservation discussion I don't think the distinction is necessary from a seller or auction house. I'd be more interested to hear what PSA or SGC think.
So if someone offers me money to do something unlawful or unethical should I take it on the theory that refusing won't do any good because they'll eventually find someone else who will? I really don't follow the argument.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
Infraction
Duly noted.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsBaseball1973 View Post
What is your policy on knowingly and publicly advertising record breaking sales where the transaction did not complete?
Michael -- can you elaborate on whether you think this has happened as clearly no response is going to be forthcoming?

Old 05-08-2019, 09:09 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I have no idea how that is relevant here.
Then allow me to explain. A defense attorney's job is to represent their client no matter if they know their client is guilty or not. That's their job! Brent's job is to act as a broker to sell cards on consignment on behalf of others. So why do people rake Brent over the coals for doing his job?

You might argue that Brent should disclose any known work done on a card (and I would certainly agree). But if a defense attorney knows his client is guilty, does he disclose that in court?

I think it was a very relevant question.

Or should we all do as I say, not do as I do?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Then allow me to explain. A defense attorney's job is to represent their client no matter if they know their client is guilty or not. That's their job! Brent's job is to act as a broker to sell cards on consignment on behalf of others. So why do people rake Brent over the coals for doing his job?

You might argue that Brent should disclose any known work done on a card (and I would certainly agree). But if a defense attorney knows his client is guilty, does he disclose that in court?

David if you go any further out on that limb either it's going to break or you're going to fall. That is a tortured analogy. A criminal defense lawyer has a vital constitutional role. Brent does not.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
David if you go any further out on that limb either it's going to break or you're going to fall. That is a tortured analogy. A criminal defense lawyer has a vital constitutional role. Brent does not.
Perhaps Brent will redefine the constitution.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Assuming all of this about Brent is true, isn’t he knowingly conspiring with the card doctors/submitters of altered cards whereas a criminal defense attorney is in no way involved with the crime? Isn’t there a clear distinction here?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:26 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
So a defense attorney doesn't have a right to refuse a case (if they know their client is guilty)?

Which leads me back to my original question. Why is it ok for a defense attorney to represent someone they know is guilty because that's "their job," but it's not ok for Brent to do his job? And don't give me an answer from some legal point of view. What is morally right, Peter? Isn't the truth that in either case, it's really just about the money?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 05-08-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
So a defense attorney doesn't have a right to refuse a case (if they know their client is guilty)?
Actually yeah, criminal cases assigned by judges to defense counsel can't be turned down or else you could lose your license. You may want to brush up on the Sixth Amendment. And I'm not sure there is a defense attorney in the history of this country who ignores their oath and only represents people he or she believes is innocent. Perhaps on Mars it's different, David?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Which leads me back to my original question. Why is it ok for a defense attorney to represent someone they know is guilty because that's "their job," but it's not ok for Brent to do his job? And don't give me an answer from some legal point of view. What is morally right, Peter? Isn't the truth that in either case, it's really just about the money?
I see nothing morally wrong with representing a guilty person who is entitled under our system of government to representation. If lawyers shunned guilty or notorious clients, that system would fall apart.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-08-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:51 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Actually yeah, criminal cases assigned by judges to defense counsel can't be turned down or else you could lose your license. You may want to brush up on the Sixth Amendment. And I'm not sure there is a defense attorney in the history of this country who ignores their oath and only represents people he or she believes is innocent. Perhaps on Mars it's different, David?
Let's clarify. Your statement is only true to cases where the judge has assigned legal counsel to the defendant. I'm talking about a case where the defendant attempts to hire a private attorney. In that case, the attorney can turn down the case for any reason at all. I didn't read the 6th Amendment, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

So if a client came to you to represent them and wanted to pay your fees out of their own pocket and you knew they were guilty, would you take the case?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Let's clarify. Your statement is only true to cases where the judge has assigned legal counsel to the defendant. I'm talking about a case where the defendant attempts to hire a private attorney. In that case, the attorney can turn down the case for any reason at all. I didn't read the 6th Amendment, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

So if a client came to you to represent them and wanted to pay your fees out of their own pocket and you knew they were guilty, would you take the case?
David, this thread is about PWCC and their definitions of conservation and alteration. Call me in the office if you'd like to have this very quick discussion.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:58 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I see nothing morally wrong with representing a guilty person who is entitled under our system of government to representation.
Thanks, Peter. That's all I wanted to hear. In that event, you're just doing what you were paid to do. I don't have a problem with that. But I do find it a little hypocritical when Brent is doing what people have paid him to do, yet people are criticizing it.

In either case (lawyer or Brent), that's their job. They're getting paid to perform a service that they have offered.

I don't like getting a speeding ticket, but that's the cops job.
I don't like getting my car towed when it's illegally parked, but that's the tow truck driver's job.
I could go on, but people either get it or they don't.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Unless he was physically there how could he 100% know? Because the media or prosecutor says the client is guilty? On the other hand a mere look at the cards in question show something nefarious going on and what is Brent doing to stop it?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:00 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Thanks, Peter. That's all I wanted to hear. In that event, you're just doing what you were paid to do. I don't have a problem with that. But I do find it a little hypocritical when Brent is doing what people have paid him to do, yet people are criticizing it.

In either case (lawyer or Brent), that's their job. They're getting paid to perform a service that they have offered.

I don't like getting my car towed when it's illegally parked, but that's the tow truck driver's job.
brent certainly appears to be doing a lot more than that!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Unless he was physically there how could he 100% know? Because the media or prosecutor says the client is guilty? On the other hand a mere look at the cards in question show something nefarious going on and what is Brent doing to stop it?
Maybe I should have clarified. My example assumed an admission of guilt by the defendant to the attorney - attorney/client confidentiality.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Your analogy is utterly tortured. Imagine if seller X (let's make it hypothetical) is accused of conspiring with card doctor Y to commit fraud. Suppose, for the sake of the hypothetical, there was strong evidence X knew Y had altered the consigned cards. Again, hypothetical. Can you imagine X defending on the ground that he was only doing his job? LOL. Now walk back off that limb.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-08-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:10 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
brent certainly appears to be doing a lot more than that!
All of my comments are based on the assumption that Brent is in no way involved in any doctoring. If he is, then shame on him and my opinion quickly changes.

I still have yet to see anybody address PSA's involvement in the card doctoring.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Dar.ius Hou.seal

Quote:

seriously?

Are you really trying to equate Brent/ PWCC selling a known doctored card to unknowing collectors to an attorney representing someone he thinks is guilty of a crime. I'm pretty sure in this example, PWCC could be prosecuted for Fraud.

The difference here is one is criminal behavior and the other is to protect citizens from a tyrant. I can't believe i'm even responding to this post, but it was to off the wall not to. You sound like PWCC's publicist.

In America, you are innocent until proven guilty...and it is embedded into our constitution.

A Guide to the Sixth Amendment
The Sixth Amendment, or Amendment VI of the United States Constitution is the section of the Bill of Rights that guarantees a citizen a speedy trial, a fair jury, an attorney if the accused person wants one, and the chance to confront the witnesses who is accusing the defendant of a crime, meaning he or she can see who is making accusations. The Sixth Amendment was introduced as a part of the Bill of Rights into the United States Constitution on September 5, 1789 and was voted for by 9 out of 12 states on December 15, 1791.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:14 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariushou View Post
seriously?

Are you really trying to equate Brent/ PWCC selling a known doctored card to unknowing collectors to an attorney representing someone he thinks is guilty of a crime. I'm pretty sure in this example, PWCC could be prosecuted for Fraud.

The difference here is one is criminal behavior and the other is to protect citizens from a tyrant. I can't believe i'm even responding to this post, but it was to off the wall not to. You sound like PWCC's publicist.

In America, you are innocent until proven guilty...and it is embedded into our constitution.

A Guide to the Sixth Amendment
The Sixth Amendment, or Amendment VI of the United States Constitution is the section of the Bill of Rights that guarantees a citizen a speedy trial, a fair jury, an attorney if the accused person wants one, and the chance to confront the witnesses who is accusing the defendant of a crime, meaning he or she can see who is making accusations. The Sixth Amendment was introduced as a part of the Bill of Rights into the United States Constitution on September 5, 1789 and was voted for by 9 out of 12 states on December 15, 1791.
You really need to re-read what you wrote, especially the part I bolded.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You really need to re-read what you wrote, especially the part I bolded.
The burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is on the government in a criminal proceeding, even if the source of that rule is not constitutional. I think Darius' overall point stands.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-08-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
The burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is on the government in a criminal proceeding, even if the source of that rule is not constitutional. I think Darius' overall point stands.
So what is it exactly that you're claiming Brent is guilty of? I don't see it unless I really overlooked it. Help me see it through your lenses.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

For purposes of this thread, hubris in attempting to change well-accepted hobby definitions of altered cards.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
For purposes of this thread, hubris in attempting to change well-accepted hobby definitions of altered cards.
I didn't find that in the United States Code, Peter.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I didn't find that in the United States Code, Peter.
The Book of Proverbs. Pride goeth before a fall.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-08-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
The Book of Proverbs. Pride goeth before a fall.
Yes but if Samson cut his hair only halfway would he still have had the strength to kill 1000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass?

Edited to add the emoji

Last edited by calvindog; 05-08-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes but if Samson cut his hair only halfway would he still have had the strength to kill 1000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass?

Edited to add the emoji
Depends on the jawbone.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Depends on the jawbone.
What if it's the jawbone's job to smite the Philistines? Does that make Brent guilty?

I'll wait.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
No, Peter. I'm asking what are you accusing him of? Are you accusing him of any illegal activity? For that matter, if anybody else is too, then let's quit dancing around and post the accusations.

As far as your response, so what? If he's selling the cards and you know his definitions/standards what's the problem? If he wants to say, "this is a Near Mint card with rounded corners and heavy creases that appears to be trimmed," what does it matter as long as you know what you're buying?

And this really isn't about well-accepted hobby definitions. That's total crap and you know it! Just look at the very first reply in this thread. It had nothing to do with well-accepted hobby definitions, but instead asked about "advertising record breaking sales." It's a witch hunt period!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Holy crap. I don't normally go in for name calling, but I will call this POST idiotic. You see no difference between your constitutional rights and shady business practices? I haven't continued reading as this stopped me in my tracks, so I imagine a bunch of other people have called you out on this, but HOLY CRAP.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

David have you read the various threads on Blowout?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:06 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
David have you read the various threads on Blowout?
Peter, I am extremely proud to say that I have never visited that site.

But answer my question please. What are you accusing him of?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's a very contentious site David, you might fit in well.

But for context as to why these issues are coming into focus now, you should read it.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Peter, I am extremely proud to say that I have never visited that site.

But answer my question please. What are you accusing him of?
That's not really anything to be proud of...take 30 minutes and read the threads that jeff linked...then come back here.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:25 AM
Scott Russell

David, Let's put it this way.

I am an auctioneer.

I will never accept a consignment from any source that has a reputation for altering cards. I will never sell an altered card without noting the alteration (sometimes a card still has value even in it's altered state) I have even noted soaking, which many people have no issue with. I will never do anything to artificially inflate the value of any of my own cards that I may happen to be auctioning (ask my Parsippany auction-goers how many bargains they got out of my personal inventory while I tried to get that sale off the ground) I will never alter a card myself or have someone alter a card on my behalf.

The constitution does not guarantee the card doctor a right to sell his cards.

I am not violating anyone's rights by having these tenets.

I am also not accusing anyone else of violating them, but if I have suspicions it would certainly give me pause before transacting business with that party. If it doesn't give you pause that's fine, but to equate your RIGHT to an attorney with a card doctor somehow having a RIGHT to sell his wares is misguided at best.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

At the end of the day, we all have different moral compasses....some are just more wonky than others. Glad to know that some people think that just because something is my "job" means I can justify it, no matter how unethical it is. Jeez.

Here's a card for those tired of looking at words.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HZL2 - 1.jpg (72.6 KB, 419 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What if it's the jawbone's job to smite the Philistines? Does that make Brent guilty?

I'll wait.
Well, Brent presumably has a jawbone, so there you go.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Well, Brent presumably has a jawbone, so there you go.
Yes but I am proudly bolding this part of my response. Therefore the jawbone has a job it must do.

Last edited by calvindog; 05-08-2019 at 11:50 AM.