NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2019, 07:41 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post

And card values, according to the pwcc indexes are flat the past 30 months. 30 months that should have seen significant gains.
Why?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Why?
Other asset classes have grown substantially. Markets are flush with cash. SP 500 for instance is up 28% this year alone. Dow has almost doubled in the past 3 years. I think the stagnation has a lot to do with price manipulation and FOMO
but that, to me anyways, reinforces how small the card market is. I think this fraud will have an impact - it won’t take many big buyers to pull back to have an impact. That, plus demographics plus the fact we are at the peak of an incredible debt fueled asset bubble don’t make me confident in long term card values.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:17 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Other asset classes have grown substantially. Markets are flush with cash. SP 500 for instance is up 28% this year alone. Dow has almost doubled in the past 3 years. I think the stagnation has a lot to do with price manipulation and FOMO
but that, to me anyways, reinforces how small the card market is. I think this fraud will have an impact - it won’t take many big buyers to pull back to have an impact. That, plus demographics plus the fact we are at the peak of an incredible debt fueled asset bubble don’t make me confident in long term card values.
I AGREE with Everything you have said above, except I do not consider graded cards a asset class. THE GRADED CARD MARKET HAS BEEN SEVERELY FALSELY MANIPULATED SINCE LATE 2013.......
It's way to top heavy for me to ever consider investing in.......Long Term I think Levels Go Back to Pre. 2013 Levels.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-30-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:46 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I AGREE with Everything you have said above, except I do not consider graded cards a asset class. HE GRADED CARD MARKET HAS BEEN SEVERELY FALSELY MANIPULATED SINCE LATE 2013.......
It's way to top heavy for me to ever consider investing in.......Long Term I think Levels Go Back to Pre. 2013 Levels.
i agree baseball cards are not an "asset class" atleast not to me! I can certainly see a "correction" with many cards...50's-70's high grade rookies...some T206...green cobbs...possibly goudey ruth's but I see desirable vintage blue chip doing just fine as the supply is low and the demand high.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

I don’t count my collection against my net worth so I agree with you guys. But I’ve always suspected that there are a significant number of collectors that have cards as a large percentage of their net worth. I think this is a big part of the reason most collectors want this altered cards thing to go away.

Lets be real, this isn’t a hobby for kids anymore. You can’t even find cards for sale where I live. A small number of large volume collectors are driving price increases on vintage. Hard to see how it can last when most collectors are in their 60s. Anecdotal but everyone I know has money in RE, most own financial
assets, some have non trad investments like art or cars and literally no one collects sports cards. I have a huge network and don’t know one person outside of online communities that collects cards anymore. We all did as kids and
i’m the only guy that came back into it. Our hobby is incredibly small and top heavy.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

Historically most hobbies are a bit flat when the stock market is doing well.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:35 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
The way Etsy operates is the copyright holder must file the report (which iniates legal action) and then Etsy pulls down the listing to err on the side of caution. If you're not the copyright holder then you may be liable for damages if found guilty of copyfraud.
Yep, finally got a reply from them stating that. So unless Topps contacts them, the seller is free to keep using Etsy to sell the fakes.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-01-2020, 11:26 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
but that, to me anyways, reinforces how small the card market is. I think this fraud will have an impact

Take sept 14th 18 to dec 19, only about a 10% increase in the sp. Most people arent showing that big Oct-dec dump in 2018 to tout how well stocks did this year. Hey 10% ain't bad, but the "28%" just is accounting for that big drop.

No FOMO and price manipulation in stocks?

No Fraud in stocks? People lost about 90% on this TEUM company lying about earnings. Did that stop the "28%" gain on the SP?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Take sept 14th 18 to dec 19, only about a 10% increase in the sp. Most people arent showing that big Oct-dec dump in 2018 to tout how well stocks did this year. Hey 10% ain't bad, but the "28%" just is accounting for that big drop.

No FOMO and price manipulation in stocks?

No Fraud in stocks? People lost about 90% on this TEUM company lying about earnings. Did that stop the "28%" gain on the SP?
My point was equities have been doing well the past 4 years. And yes stock prices are a joke, pe ratios are crazy high. Cheap money, etc. The fact that cards have stagnated in this environment - easy, cheap money - suggests we are at a peak. If money tightens up look out, and if some whales exit could be real ugly. JMHO.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Whales

Quote:
My point was equities have been doing well the past 4 years. And yes stock prices are a joke, pe ratios are crazy high. Cheap money, etc. The fact that cards have stagnated in this environment - easy, cheap money - suggests we are at a peak. If money tightens up look out, and if some whales exit could be real ugly. JMHO.
Yes, that is true for the people who are spending $50k or more on PSA 10's and high end 52 Mantles. For 99% of collectors, we won't even notice it.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:56 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Yes, that is true for the people who are spending $50k or more on PSA 10's and high end 52 Mantles. For 99% of collectors, we won't even notice it.
Agreed!
Old 01-02-2020, 06:24 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Did anyone see this Interview?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f3k5VSqVt4

Towards the end, he says he see's greener pastures and blue skies ahead for this marketplace/industy.....

I see Visions Of Silver Bracelets and Orange Jumpsuits
Old 01-02-2020, 06:30 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

We discussed it in May here and at Blowout. In fact, it was one the things that threw gas on the fire of the internet investigation. People hated how smug he was in that interview and looked for more things to pin on him.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:57 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Peak schmeak, this is starting to sound like a seeking alpha article. The same was said Jan 19 rescission, global slowdown, etc

When people exit the stock market, they'll need to put resources elsewhere. Maybe something tangible that can make them think of days gone by when life was simpler, and MLBers needed winter jobs. Hoping its oil stocks, since it didnt happen last year!

Dont take it personally, anytime someone relates cards to stocks there are two sides to it. I never believed in these PWCC indices, I stick to what I know. Tough cards, more demand and signed 52 topps when I see 'em

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Dan Marke1

More high profile cards are outed and the amount of damages incurred just keep piling up:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...90614&page=248

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...333320&page=18

By the way where's Peter Spaeth been lately?

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 01-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
More high profile cards are outed and the amount of damages incurred just keep piling up:

So what happens, once a card is outed; is there a data base of cert #'s, etc? just curious, are the owner's of these cards, requesting refunds, are they still changing hands, is anyone doing anything? I know maybe the fbi is involved, but I haven't heard any more about that since the nat'l. Seems like a lot of great work is being done, but is anything happening because of it? I was just curious. Is there another post I am missing that is providing the card details, etc?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:45 AM
pete ullman

Quote:

these are hardly high profile cards????? but more cards nonetheless!

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-08-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:47 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The best comment in one of the threads is that the card now had perfect centering: 45/45
Old 01-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:

He is alive and well, he quoted me and made a snide remark on another forum last night.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:33 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
So what happens, once a card is outed; is there a data base of cert #'s, etc? just curious, are the owner's of these cards, requesting refunds, are they still changing hands, is anyone doing anything? I know maybe the fbi is involved, but I haven't heard any more about that since the nat'l. Seems like a lot of great work is being done, but is anything happening because of it? I was just curious. Is there another post I am missing that is providing the card details, etc?
I do recall that there was a Blowout thread that kept a tally sheet of the number of cards and the prices paid for the altered cards. I don't have a link to it. As for the victims, PWCC did reach out and offer refunds for bad cards that they sold. I have no idea what the response has been and the amount of restitution has been for those parties. There are unofficial statements from board members stating that the FBI is involved with very little in the way of details.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Dan
What do you want to know about the FBI? They are absolutely, 100% investigating. That is all of the info we will know for now. No doubt more will come out later but I don't expect it to be soon. Too many rats to still roll over.

Quote:
I do recall that there was a Blowout thread that kept a tally sheet of the number of cards and the prices paid for the altered cards. I don't have a link to it. As for the victims, PWCC did reach out and offer refunds for bad cards that they sold. I have no idea what the response has been and the amount of restitution has been for those parties. There are unofficial statements from board members stating that the FBI is involved with very little in the way of details.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:30 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

He's been busy searching for a nice-looking O-Pee-Chee Gretzky rookie.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Dan
What do you want to know about the FBI? They are absolutely, 100% investigating. That is all of the info we will know for now. No doubt more will come out later but I don't expect it to be soon. Too many rats to still roll over.
Thanks Leon.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:47 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Thanks Leon.

been another 2.5 years or so..