NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Luke Lyon

Default I'm liking PSA cases after preferring SGC. Anyone else had similar change of heart?

This is pretty much a pointless thread. You've been warned, so don't blame me for wasting (more) of your time

I have been surprised to find myself liking PSA holders lately. When I got back into collecting a few years back, I got a few SGC and PSA cases, and had a strong preference for SGC holders. Over the last few years, my preference seemed to grow stronger, and I sold off almost all of my PSA graded cards (there weren't many) keeping only one that I am really attached to.

Lately, I've kind of switched focus to looking for some tougher backs, and haven't been picky about raw or graded when I found a tough card I liked. A surprising thing happened when I picked up a few PSA graded cards. I really liked the way they present in hand, or sitting on my desk.

I still think baseball cards look better against a black frame, and that is why I prefer SGC holders, but there are a few areas where PSA comes out on top (imo).

1. PSA cases don't seem to scratch as easy. I keep all of my SGC holders inside a protective sleeve to keep the case from scratching. I don't have to do that with PSA cases. My PSA cards look clearer and more pleasing to the eye because they don't have an additional layer of plastic between them and my eye.

2. I like that PSA cases are slimmer and take up less space.

3. I think cards inside a PSA case are more secure. SGC cards seem to slip around a bit inside the case, and PSA cards seem locked into place (this is a generalization, but mostly true I think). If we did an experiment and dropped two cards onto the floor from 6 feet above the ground, I would be much more worried about what would happen to the SGC graded card.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone else ever had a change of heart like this?
Old 09-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Louie Michaud

Yes! For the longest time, before actually owning one, I've liked the idea of the SGC slabs more. Ya know, the idea of this black background against the card. But when I finally got a card that uses that slab, I was very unimpressed.

You're right, the slabs are way too big. I don't like the edges either. They don't stack as nicely. The PSA slabs come across as much more simple, understated, and classic. I feel that the card is the focal point of the PSA slabs, while the SGC's try to put a 'total package' presentation of the card + the slab.

Not a useless thread at all. You're reading my mind, man!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

In general I don't like slabbed cards but for smaller tobacco cards I prefer psa for the reasons stated. However for the t202 I recently purchased and for 1953 topps and other larger cards I still prefer sgc for presentation value.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I agree with point 2. I wish SGC would have focused on this or a more secure slab than expending energy in changing their flip every 5 years.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Danny Gr|mes

Depends on the card. I prefer psa oversize example exhibits over sgc equivalent
Old 09-19-2014, 03:24 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

As a strong SGC supporter of years past I agree. I am submitting to PSA now. First when I called to try to submit 1000 signed cards and asked for a quote….(this was in the very beginning of them trying to compete with PSA /DNA) they would not give any type of discount. Secondly, when they went to hideous flips I decided my SGC days are closing to an end. Looks like PSA will be the new monopoly unfortunately. SGC used to win out with integrity, quality etc., but someone in charge got it all wrong recently…..my 2 cents.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have two issues with SGC holders (could not care less about the flips). One, as mentioned, they scratch incredibly easily -- almost every SGC card I have purchased has had a holder that was beat to --- and they don't polish out well either. And they also get these tiny pinsize cracks which shine very brightly under a light and are very distracting. Two, sometimes the cards slide under the gaskets in shipping.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:04 PM
John Mavroudis

Although I don't collect like the majority on this site... mostly wish I could... from a purely aesthetic point of view: they're both ugly as hell.

Why can't these companies come up with something simple and pleasing to the eye, while getting the job done? Think of this as a frame for a painting. Keep it elegant and simple so it doesn't distract from the main focus... the card it's holding. Hell, they should come up with multiple frames for different eras, too.

Just my two cents.

www.zenpop.com
Old 09-19-2014, 04:20 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

99% of my graded cards are SGC. Today, I received three packages containing 5 graded cards, all which happen to be PSA. It's been quite a while since I've bought a PSA card. I stacked all 5 and set them on my safe to put them away later, and then I noticed something - some of the cases were different. Three of the cases were the new tamper resistant cases that I'd heard about, two were the older cases. It's easy to tell the difference when they're stacked together. I must say that I really, really like the new tamper resistant cases.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Daryl

I've never liked the gaskets. I have a couple Mello mints that are framed in way too close. I like my PSA holders with the mylar inserts.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Mike C@.v3

I've never really preferred one slab over the other, although I do think SGC has been more consistent in their grading. I have a boatload of both slabs and just buy what card appeals to me inside of the slab.

I get that collectors like to match their slabs, but I couldn't care less and just buy the card that fits my condition and appeal preference.

To each their own...
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 09-20-2014, 12:20 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I still think that for standard card sizes, SGC w/ the black inserts still look the best as long as there isn't float. If the insert doesn't quite fit the card and there are gaps, I agree it doesn't look so good. PSA looks better in the larger holders, especially the 5x7 ones. Beckett is best for modern cards or for odd size cards where you don't want any float. With the insert, Beckett is the best, and they have a rock solid holder. They are the holder that I would be least worried about if I dropped it from 6 feet compared to the other two.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Bill Gregory

I used to really prefer the SGC slab + flip. I love the way they looked. Then I got a few cards where the slabs were beaten up, and they looked like hell. I used my novus plastic scratch removing system, and it just didn't take the scratches out. It was an improvement, but not enough where I could display them, or take scans I'd be satisfied with.

Then PSA came out with their new slab. I, too, really like it. The flip has remained consistent for quite some time, and the few times a change has been made, like the addition of half grades, or how certain elements are organized on the right side (numerical grade next to, or under the descriptor), the appearance has remained the same. And the slab itself is much more secure. If I get a card in that slab, I know it's the one that was graded. Nobody is opening that thing without breaking it. It is solid, and looks really nice. And I like the way it displays, too. So, I will be joining PSA's little club here soon, and sending in all my ungraded T206s to get graded by PSA. I will be crossing over my SGC T206s, and the T206s I have in PSA slabs, I will pay to have them reholdered. There are only 5 of them, so it won't be that expensive. But PSA has done what I hoped they would, and they are going to get my business.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 09-20-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:45 AM
PeterB

I still prefer raw
Old 09-20-2014, 05:05 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I prefer

The new psa holder. Not a fan of the gasket or any of the sgc labels. New one is best but should have a bar code. Also really like the psa holder size.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 AM

When a Company Guarantee's their work for the Life of the Card...
Well then, imho... Nuf sed!

Just my 2 shinny pennies worth...
Old 09-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Good point on Beckett.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I still think that for standard card sizes, SGC w/ the black inserts still look the best as long as there isn't float. If the insert doesn't quite fit the card and there are gaps, I agree it doesn't look so good. PSA looks better in the larger holders, especially the 5x7 ones. Beckett is best for modern cards or for odd size cards where you don't want any float. With the insert, Beckett is the best, and they have a rock solid holder. They are the holder that I would be least worried about if I dropped it from 6 feet compared to the other two.
Great point Gary. I LOVE Beckett holders as they are indestructible, stackable, and the inner sleeve is incredible. The downside (there always is one) is that the vintage market seems to gravitate towards PSA and SGC. I have HARD and REAL data from experience over the past year that CLEARLY shows PSA cards sell for more (in the same conditions). PSA sells higher, then SGC, then Beckett so.......while I really prefer Beckett holders, the market still rewards PSA cards. Maybe this will change in time but I can see it with my own eyes thank you. (small print: Please don't email me saying that your SGC card sells for more. I understand the market and know that QUALITY untampered cards will sometimes sell for more. As a matter of fact I paid a premium recently on two SGC cards that were SGC 88s. I could have bought PSA 8s for a little cheaper BUT I always buy the card and not the holder.) I own graded cards from all 3 companies but PSA across the boards will assist you greater in your bank account. Nuff sed McGreevy.

peace, mike
Old 09-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Great point Gary. I LOVE Beckett holders as they are indestructible, stackable, and the inner sleeve is incredible. The downside (there always is one) is that the vintage market seems to gravitate towards PSA and SGC. I have HARD and REAL data from experience over the past year that CLEARLY shows PSA cards sell for more (in the same conditions). PSA sells higher, then SGC, then Beckett so.......while I really prefer Beckett holders, the market still rewards PSA cards. Maybe this will change in time but I can see it with my own eyes thank you. (small print: Please don't email me saying that your SGC card sells for more. I understand the market and know that QUALITY untampered cards will sometimes sell for more. As a matter of fact I paid a premium recently on two SGC cards that were SGC 88s. I could have bought PSA 8s for a little cheaper BUT I always buy the card and not the holder.) I own graded cards from all 3 companies but PSA across the boards will assist you greater in your bank account. Nuff sed McGreevy.

peace, mike

+1. When I sold some 1960 SGC 9's for around $8 each, while I saw their PSA counterparts sell for $200+, that was enough to convince me.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I still like the look of the SGC holders the best. From my observations if you have a very high grade registry card, and it is a set that is competed for in the PSA registry, then those cards bring more because there is more and stronger demand (more for registry points than the the card). Short of that I think SGC values hold up well against PSA and do better than Beckett. Personally I have all 3 TPG companies cards and I always buy the card. I do stay away from some high grade cards, in all holders, as I don't trust them to be unaltered. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Leon; 09-20-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: took out comment
Old 09-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Rob Ruddy

What do these new holders look like?

The last time I submitted cards to PSA for grading was back in April of 2014.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
What do these new holders look like?

The last time I submitted cards to PSA for grading was back in April of 2014.

The bottom of the slab fits inside the top so that there's not a seam. It's great!
Old 09-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Mike P.ap

Default good points also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I still like the look of the SGC holders the best. From my observations if you have a very high grade registry card, and it is a set that is competed for in the PSA registry, then those cards bring more because there is more and stronger demand (more for registry points than the the card). Short of that I think SGC values hold up well against PSA and do better than Beckett. Personally I have all 3 TPG companies cards and I always buy the card. I do stay away from some high grade cards, in all holders, as I don't trust them to be unaltered. Just my 2 cents.
Leon,

Well said. I truly believe the reason PSA sells strong is because of the marketing they do and the registry members are higher than SGC and Beckett (so like you said, more buyers or bidders). I also like SGC holders BUT when I go to sell it seems that if I have similar grades then the PSA does better. I have seen some absolute beauties in SGC holders bring VERY high prices which makes sense because typically their higher grades are VERY nice. Good counterpoints.

Peace, mike
Old 09-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Ugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone206 View Post
whats cards specifically? thats crazy
Brian,
I have very hard and solid data on 1948 Leaf Boxing and 1948 Bowman Basketball that leaned in that very direction also so......for now with these, I'm going with PSA. As a matter of fact, my 1948 Bowman Basketball Registry set is #30 or so with maybe the 6th highest GPA on the board and all because of the 2014 Series One Vermont Find. I'm still looking for those darn Series 2 and Mr. Mikan.......

take care, mike

Last edited by vthobby; 09-20-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Brian,
I have very hard and solid data on 1948 Leaf Boxing and 1948 Bowman Basketball that leaned in that very direction also so......for now with these, I'm going with PSA. As a matter of fact, my 1948 Bowman Basketball Registry set is #30 or so with maybe the 6th highest GPA on the board and all because of the 2014 Series One Vermont Find. I'm still looking for those darn Series 2 and Mr. Mikan.......

take care, mike
Even though I am not a registry type collector I do love the passion involved. It's friendly and great competition. (and it's CARDS ). May all Registry collectors reading get the extra point they need!!

Last edited by Leon; 09-20-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Registry set

Leon,

I had dabbled in Registry (Salada Hockey Coins) because I found some really nice ones but the 1948 Bowman Basketball is my first card Registry Set. I only started it because I was able to get a majority of Series 1 in the find. That being said, the series 2 cards are going to crush me as they are VERY expensive in high grades and it is a multi multi year project (if you say multi twice does that make it a TON of years? )

It is fun though and just a bit addicting. Makes me focus though as that is all I have been looking for lately so its fun, take care ,

peace, mike

Last edited by vthobby; 09-20-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Ben North

I hate the new holders for purely selfish reasons. I do not collect graded cards so when I buy them the first thing I do is free them from captivity. The old PSA slabs took a total of 5 seconds to open. I recently got a 57 Ted Williams in the new PSA holder and have not tried to free it yet. Hopefully it cracks out easy when I free poor imprisoned Ted.

Any tips from cracking open the new slabs would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:11 PM
pete ullman

As much as I prefer SGC as a grading service for a number of reasons...I DO prefer PSA's holders...they are smaller and stack better...and are more durable.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Alan U

I also like the SGC grading service but prefer the PSA holders. For one thing you can put any color background (with a colored piece of posterboard ore construction pater) you want when you scan a PSA card.