NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2024, 08:01 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default 2024 National

Is any one excited about Cleveland?

If so, please give me a good reason or two to attend. I’m struggling to care.

It just isn’t moving the needle.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:25 PM
Fred

Is it because it's Cleveland? Or is there another reason?

I don't mind Cleveland. I've attended (3) Nationals at Cleveland and thought they were fine.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:19 PM

The traffic and parking situation in Cleveland is the best for any venue, and I always find great stuff there.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:45 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Two words—Ferris Wheel
Old 01-04-2024, 12:00 AM
Robert Klevens

Two words - It moved
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...in-canton.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Two words—Ferris Wheel
Old 01-04-2024, 12:36 AM
Jeff P

Reason #1: It's the National and only happens once per year. Missing it means going two years without the two reasons below. I haven't missed one since 2011 and don't plan to miss one ever again until the day I'm old and gray and can't physically do it any longer.

Reason #2: It's a chance to spend multiple days catching up with hobby friends and talk about the hobby we love.

Reason #3: There is always a boatload of hobby eye candy to ogle over.

I'm past expecting to find all sorts of unique items that I haven't seen before. It's not that this doesn't still happen but with all of the online auctions that are held these days, dealers don't seem to set aside items particularly to bring to the Natty as much as they used to. That's fine with me as I go for the reasons above and if I find some things I need/want that is a bonus.

And I couldn't care less about the location. I'd go to the Natty if it was held in LaRue, OH in a barn.

jeff
Old 01-04-2024, 04:08 AM
Eric

I am excited. Its only like a three-hour drive from me. The venue seems to be larger from what I heard. The Detroit Tigers are playing around then also, so I will try and attend a game.
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 01-04-2024, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Fully agree, regardless of where it is being held.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:44 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seeing a ballgame at a stadium I have never been to before. That’s a definite start!
Old 01-04-2024, 06:13 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

The Cleveland set up sucks. No hotels, restaurants within walking distance. Need a car to drive place which means it makes more sense to drive 6 hrs rather than fly in but that’s a pain.

All that said, can’t wait. If you can’t get excited about the national, I don’t know what to tell you.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Can someone who has attended one of these give a little more detail on the geography. Is it in the city, on the fringe of the city, near the airport? Prior poster said nothing really to walk to to eat, etc. No other options besides driving to the convention center and parking? If I stay downtown at a large hotel, am I 10 minutes away or 30? Thanks for any further logistical info.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:24 AM

It depends on your perspective with the hobby. The novelty of attending a national is over for many collectors. You can find the cards you want in the many auction houses online. The best part of the National is actually meeting up with hobby friends after the show ends. And, the Net54 dinner. I'm still undecided.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:30 AM

Steve--

Lots of info to answer your latest questions (and probably many more you may think to ask later) if you search the site. And Google Maps can obviously answer any geographical/driving questions. Not trying to be a jerk with this reply!
Old 01-04-2024, 08:10 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Steve--

Lots of info to answer your latest questions (and probably many more you may think to ask later) if you search the site. And Google Maps can obviously answer any geographical/driving questions. Not trying to be a jerk with this reply!
I hear you, but the same reply would probably apply to 90% of the post on the board.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:19 AM

Default ???

Quote:

1. If you’re a sports card collector…. How do you not enjoy going to a larger card show???

2. Same as # 1
Old 01-04-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I hear you, but the same reply would probably apply to 90% of the post on the board.
True.

Well, I'll reguritate my experience with Cleveland, then.

Historically, I had always fared well in Cleveland. Mind you, I'm exclusively in the autograph realm.

Having become more and more disillusioned with wasting time and money at several prior Nationals with nothing great to show for it, I said to myself, "If nothing happens in Cleveland [2018], then I'm done with this nonsense.". Nothing happened. Haven't attended a National ever since and am happy to say so. Each subsequent year, I've been reassured by those in attendance that this decision has continuously been the right one. Again, my preferred corner of our universe is more finite and differs from many here. A couple of people I know made similar personal vows that year in Cleveland. Nobody has had a single regret.

As to the venue, it's way on the outskirts of town. There's nothing much to do out that way from my experience, but it beats being in Cleveland Proper. I can say that it's defintiely the most affordable area of any current National location, and the parking at the venue is plentiful and inexpensive.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-04-2024 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:47 AM
d.ean

Quote:
I attended the National in Cleveland once. I plan to attend again this year. As other posters have stated, it is the National. I stayed with my in-laws in Lorain, Ohio about an hour away from Cleveland. I drove in each day. I had one of the passes that included free parking and 20 "free" autographs and other swag. The IX center is a massive building with plenty of parking. The complex is right at the airport. From what I can recall there was not much infrastructure nearby. As in, when you exit the building there will not be anything (restaurants, hotels etc.) within walking distance. I don't consider Cleveland a foodie destination. With the pass, re-entry is not an issue, so one could have a cooler in the car for snacks and such. Since I am an autograph guy, I had planned to be at the venue most of the each day. I had packed a few snacks in my bag which worked for me. Once off the complex, within a few minutes, there is plenty of commerce to find in and around Cleveland. I did take in a game at the new (then) stadium which was cool. There is also the rock and roll hall of fame. I don't hail from Ohio, so I found that downtown Cleveland was much better than what the media had made it out to be. If you are flying in, I would consider renting a car or make sure the hotel has a frequent shuttle to the center. Don't find a reason not to go, just go! The National is awesome! I wish the National would return to Baltimore.

Last edited by Huck; 01-04-2024 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:56 AM

Steve,

Next door to the airport, quite a ways from the city. Basically no where very close to stay since the Sheraton at the airport was torn down. You will need a car or Uber etc.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:48 AM
Matt

Quote:
I'm excited for a 'fully functional' air conditioning system this year.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:52 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Cleveland National

I took my wife with me to the National in Cleveland in 2018. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express which had a shuttle for pick-up and delivery to the center. There were some chain restaurants by the hotel. (Not a foodie town) We spent a day at the show. It was excellent, easy to get around in and lots of well known dealers. We stayed over after the show and went to the Football Hall of Fame in Canton. We then went to the William McKinley home and toured the grounds. Great trip. The Hall of Fame was fantastic.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:54 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I am looking forward to it but the infrastructure is not their. I booked and AirB7B about 1.2 miles away.
Debating driving from NY or just uber around.
My reason for going is to see the Net54 people as first priority and enjoy the NAtional 2nd.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-04-2024, 12:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If I go, and it's 50/50 right now....it will be to renew old acquaintenances. I almost always find something to pick up though...this was from last years National. I guess it could go in the raw pick up thread too....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alleg.jpg (146.0 KB, 965 views)
Old 01-04-2024, 02:33 PM
Albert Bee

Default Clev

downtown, Chef Michael Simon BBQ joint called Mables - On of the best Ive ever been to
Old 01-04-2024, 05:46 PM
Mark

I used to go to every Chicago national when I lived in Michigan. 3 hours away for me.
Now I live in Tennessee so Cleveland is 7.5 hours away but I may still do it this year.
Never did the Net 54:meet up. Might do that this time. When or where is it?
Old 01-04-2024, 05:58 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I used to go to every Chicago national when I lived in Michigan. 3 hours away for me.
Now I live in Tennessee so Cleveland is 7.5 hours away but I may still do it this year.
Never did the Net 54:meet up. Might do that this time. When or where is it?
Suspect it's too early for planning any event.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:37 PM
James M.

I loved the National when I attended it in Atlantic City, as it wasn't too far of a drive and I was able to extend it to going fully down the Jersey Shore, afterwards. I don't have much of a desire to drive or fly to Cleveland and attend this year, as It's a little too out of the way.

I'd fully welcome a National in Chicago, Texas, or somewhere in Florida. Maybe one of the Carolina's. Or if it was even based out on the west coast. But that's a discussion for another thread.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:27 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Cleveland Natty

I’ve attended in Cleveland a couple of times though not recently. I had no complaints with the venue. As Alan wrote, one can find most anything online that’s at the National. For me primarily it’s a social occasion, a chance to catch up with hobby friends, most of whom I haven’t seen in a long time. And would like to take in a game at the Jake, which I’ve never done. And

Cleveland Rocks!
Old 01-05-2024, 04:46 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Not going to The Cleve. Rosemont 2025!
Old 01-05-2024, 05:39 PM
Scott Maynard

bar with beer that fills up from the bottom, if still there
Old 01-05-2024, 05:46 PM

Cleveland hotels, parking, and food is much cheaper than Chicago. The convention center is quite a bit larger as well so tables are well spread out. A/C actually works there.

If that’s not reason enough then by all means stay home!

I don’t attend Nationals every year, travel is expensive and that’s money I could have spent in auctions. I’m pretty sure I’ll be there this year.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:02 PM

Default It's the National :)

A couple pics I took from the ferris wheel back in 2018, showing one side of the show floor:

Last edited by asoriano; 01-05-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:00 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The Cleveland venue is far superior to Chicago’s, although not connected to a hotel. All in all, traveling from NY, it’s slightly more difficult but the better venue makes up for it in my opinion. I was pretty disappointed with Chicago last year. No food onsite? WTH.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Cleveland has a vibrant foodie scene, just nowhere near the IX Center.

Answering Steve's question directly, the center is airport adjacent, and last I checked, basically empty field and highway adjacent. So either pack in your vittles or eat whatever crap is served there. Last time the onsite food was really bad. You basically will have to rent a car, so budget that in. The VIP tickets to the show come with free parking at the show, so that's a plus.

Candidly, I am on the fence as well. I wasn't able to make CHI last year because of a work schedule issue, and I missed 2022 for a variety of family reasons (buried my father in May and my mother in August, so not a great time to go to AC anyway...plus I disliked AC the last time). If I go, I am tempted to stay downtown near the RR HOF and ballpark and food scene, and just commute back and forth every day. Might make for a nicer stay even with a drive on each end. I spend hours in my car anyway, being from LA.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-06-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:05 PM
Steve

Cleveland airport to IX Center is an 8 minute car ride. Lyft right now is $12.
IX Center to downtown Cleveland is 17 minutes by car. Lyft is $19.
You can schedule Lyfts and Uber in advance, so you aren't waiting.

The Guardians are in-town Monday through Thursday this year. Many people would say Guardians games are more affordable than Wrigley and in a much better location than Guaranteed Rate Field.

Hotels are cheaper than Chicago (if cost is the main variable of concern), even factoring in the Lyfts.

There are a ton of restaurants, bars, and even breweries within walking distance of the ballpark.

The IX Center has 20% more exhibition space than the Donald Stephens in Chicago.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:41 PM
Gary

I'm curious, how would the National in Cleveland compare to a show like the Chicago Sports Spectacular at Rosemont? I'm sure the National will be bigger. But how much bigger?
Old 01-06-2024, 07:07 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I'm curious, how would the National in Cleveland compare to a show like the Chicago Sports Spectacular at Rosemont? I'm sure the National will be bigger. But how much bigger?
The card selection will surely be better!
Old 01-06-2024, 07:31 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks for all the info and opinions. Much appreciated.
Will depend a lot on work whether I ultimately go or not. Thanks for some great ideas.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:40 PM
MîçhćŁ ßöwŁßĄ

Leave the I-X Center and take Kolthoff Dr., the left just before Berea Hwy, go about a mile where it merges with Berea you will find 5 places to eat plus a Circle K and a DD's.

On Berea:
Donte's Restaurant and Pizza
Speedy Cafe inside Speedway Gas (cheap pizza)
Subway
Circle K
DD's

On Front St - forks to the left after Speedway
Grindstone Tap House
The Hydrant Pub and Grub

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-07-2024, 10:29 PM
Jared

It’s a little early for me to feel any bit of excitement, as I’m still exhausted from the holidays and just coming to terms with 2024. However, that didn’t stop me from booking a room and cashing into my SW miles for a free flight to Cleveland. That gives me over six months to light a fire under my rear and get my checklists together.

If last year’s attendance is any indication of what we can expect this year, you may want to get a head start on your travel plans. I’ll be traveling from CA and will see ya’ll out there.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:34 AM
Robert Klevens

According to the new management team in an interview a few months ago they said that

"Chicago prior to this year used 336,000 square feet this year they blew up to 560,000 square feet Cleveland's building is going to be 420,000 square feet"

You can hear it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjPy1d-No0&t=3772s
Old 01-08-2024, 09:43 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:

Steve, the National is still the biggest show, but I do believe some of the luster of it has worn off. It is isn't the National's fault per see, it is the fact that there is just so much competition now. More shows, more places to sell, and for better or worse, the staggering increase in auctions.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:37 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Agree. I am fortunate in the NY/NJ area to have a selection of shows year round. There is a White Plains show in two weeks. 400 tables. Is it the national. Nope, but it's a damm good show 1 hour from where I live.

And so much about the National now is breakers, card graders I have never heard of, and screaming idiots carrying on about Trevor Lawrence refractors. It's bigger for sure, but not with stuff I am really interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Steve, the National is still the biggest show, but I do believe some of the luster of it has worn off. It is isn't the National's fault per see, it is the fact that there is just so much competition now. More shows, more places to sell, and for better or worse, the staggering increase in auctions.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

IMHO, possibly the coolest thing about the National is to see amazing pieces coming up in Heritage and other big AHs.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:52 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Agree. I am fortunate in the NY/NJ area to have a selection of shows year round. There is a White Plains show in two weeks. 400 tables. Is it the national. Nope, but it's a damm good show 1 hour from where I live.

And so much about the National now is breakers, card graders I have never heard of, and screaming idiots carrying on about Trevor Lawrence refractors. It's bigger for sure, but not with stuff I am really interested in.
And many of those dealers at White Plains are also set up at the National? Probably a good portion.

Here is a good question... how many dealers at the 2024 National only set up at the National and no other show? I think it is a very very small number now.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

looking forward to it.
Especially the Convention center heard alot of great things about it.
THe logistics not so much.
Actually debating the drive from NY vs Flying.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-08-2024, 01:41 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Are there any hotels left adjacent to the Center now that the Sheridan has been torn down? At my last National in Cleveland, I had the privilege of sitting next to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Robinson at breakfast. Of course, I couldn't help but listen in to their conversation. I think Frank's most memorable line was, "Honey, please pass the butter".
Old 01-08-2024, 02:30 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Are there any hotels left adjacent to the Center now that the Sheridan has been torn down? At my last National in Cleveland, I had the privilege of sitting next to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Robinson at breakfast. Of course, I couldn't help but listen in to their conversation. I think Frank's most memorable line was, "Honey, please pass the butter".
I'm surprised the NSCC site hasn't listed hotel options yet.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:27 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
And many of those dealers at White Plains are also set up at the National? Probably a good portion.

Here is a good question... how many dealers at the 2024 National only set up at the National and no other show? I think it is a very very small number now.
Drew. I am close to that. I do 4 other shows beside the National. 2 in Boston and 2 at White Plains. Don
Old 01-08-2024, 04:17 PM
Robert Klevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
I'm surprised the NSCC site hasn't listed hotel options yet.
They don't do a good job of updating the website. There's still info from last year's show.
I made a reservation last August on my own. Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Airport Average daily rate: USD 83.58
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nscc.jpg (80.8 KB, 325 views)
Old 01-08-2024, 05:43 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:

I only do the National and no other shows. I will only do shows west of (and including) Cleveland so never do the East Coast Nationals (Baltimore, Atlantic City, etc)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562