NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Scott Russell

Default A Modest Proposal

Have mentioned this idea to a number of friends and thought I'd get more thoughts here. Not that I'm in a position to do anything about it, but what does everything think of the concept:

PSA institutes a bad actor clause. If over 10% (we can dicker over what the correct % should be) of your bulk submission is altered they keep the money as penalty for being a bad actor and you get ALL the cards back ungraded, AND you are banned from further submissions.

This was inspired by the submissions where nearly half the cards were altered but they graded the other half anyway.

If this policy was used it would certainly put a major dent in the profitability of the card doctors. It might also discourage others from submitting on their behalf.

Is it fool proof, no. However getting NO cards from a submission graded destroys the profitability curve. If you're counting on getting half your doctored cards through grading, but instead keep getting massive submissions returned (assuming you haven't run out of false identities to submit them under) I don't know how you would turn a profit. Yet if you submit in less than bulk quantities you are easier to catch and also slower to profit.

Also allows PSA to keep the money from the doctors. Yes it will dry up eventually as they are driven out of business, but shouldn't that be a good thing in the long run?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-07-2019, 12:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I like parts of it, but not all...

1. Sending the ungraded cards back to the card doctors? Not a good idea, as they will inevitably turn up elsewhere. This doesn't fix that major problem. The cards would need to be marked or tagged in some way, and the submitting public likely won't go for that.

2. Card doctors will find another stooge to submit them, once they are returned. They will always find other people to do the dirty work.

3. Why are so many still relying on PSA to fix this? They've proven countless times that they cannot effectively detect alterations. Let's stop relying on their self-appointed "expertise".

Last edited by perezfan; 08-07-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Have mentioned this idea to a number of friends and thought I'd get more thoughts here. Not that I'm in a position to do anything about it, but what does everything think of the concept:

PSA institutes a bad actor clause. If over 10% (we can dicker over what the correct % should be) of your bulk submission is altered they keep the money as penalty for being a bad actor and you get ALL the cards back ungraded, AND you are banned from further submissions.

This was inspired by the submissions where nearly half the cards were altered but they graded the other half anyway.

If this policy was used it would certainly put a major dent in the profitability of the card doctors. It might also discourage others from submitting on their behalf.

Is it fool proof, no. However getting NO cards from a submission graded destroys the profitability curve. If you're counting on getting half your doctored cards through grading, but instead keep getting massive submissions returned (assuming you haven't run out of false identities to submit them under) I don't know how you would turn a profit. Yet if you submit in less than bulk quantities you are easier to catch and also slower to profit.

Also allows PSA to keep the money from the doctors. Yes it will dry up eventually as they are driven out of business, but shouldn't that be a good thing in the long run?
In addition to whats been said...PSA will never turn away business...they won't!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:46 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

So many issues on this for someone to take someones property. I cant see this even remotely happening.

I can see them reporting it to law enforcement who could intervene though
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
So many issues on this for someone to take someones property. I cant see this even remotely happening.

Nowhere did I suggest someone taking property. The cards are returned ungraded. Unless you were referring to the money. And you are agreeing to that penalty as a term of submitting.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 08-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

Why would they report it to law enforcement? It is certainly not illegal to do anything you want to a card you own. And merely submitting an altered card to a grading company is not illegal either. Many innocent people over the years have submitted cards to the grading companies that have come back as altered or unauthentic. In fact, that is one of the reasons that people submit a card to a TPG, to double check and make sure whether it is authentic/altered or not, because that is what they're paying the TPG for, to authenticate the card and give it the appropriate grade.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Scott Russell

Yes nothing illegal occurs until someone tries to represent an altered card as unaltered in a sale situation. There needs to be intent and a victim. I think PSA would be hard pressed to claim they are a victim of the card doctors.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:25 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I would prefer PSA to just authenticate and grade the cards accurately.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Why would they report it to law enforcement? It is certainly not illegal to do anything you want to a card you own. And merely submitting an altered card to a grading company is not illegal either. Many innocent people over the years have submitted cards to the grading companies that have come back as altered or unauthentic. In fact, that is one of the reasons that people submit a card to a TPG, to double check and make sure whether it is authentic/altered or not, because that is what they're paying the TPG for, to authenticate the card and give it the appropriate grade.
right, not saying the submitter is getting arrested, but that law enforcement may be notified. There could be an active investigation and if a grouping of 50 cards have 50 altered ones (all with stated value over $1000), you can see why that may get reported.

Maybe there may be questions about where the submitter got the card from law enforcement etc
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Well, then keeping the money wouldn't be turning away business, at least not directly....

I also think a system like that would be prone to abuse by PSA, or by the graders. Got a batch to finish up grading before you head out to a hot date Friday night? Hmm... only at 50/200 cards and 10 min to go... reject reject reject, reject...… Job done! And the company still gets the fees so I won't be in trouble!

It would also punish the people who just send in a batch of cards they bought like one dealer I asked why he had a huge pile of late 50's cards graded 3-5 that he was selling for les than the grading fee. "Oh, I send them in by the hundreds, maybe thousands if I bought a big collection. I only pull out the obvious beaters. "
Or the people who just can't spot problems.. who probably should begetting help submitting or picking cards anyway.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Troy Rambo

Rather than being punitive (which you can't be really) maybe if that certain % is deemed to have been altered then all of the cards either don't get graded or all of them get the "A". Not sure any of it really has legs but bringing ideas to potentially help the hobby is a good thing!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I would hope that PSA is conscious of submitters who often submit altered cards.

However, at this point PSA should be trying to explain to us why they should be in the business of grading cards, and have the business ethics to do so. They, of course, are welcome to make their case. I would listen.

By business ethics I mean that an authenticator's model is supposed to be centered on authentication and accurate expression of authenticity. Clearly, and likely in part because it is a business, this is not the model for PSA. The Registry is an academic folly as far as that goes. You know what the essential linguistic root is of 'authenticity' and 'authentication?' The expression of the truth and facts-- does that sound like anything near what is PSA's business model and practice?

Last edited by drcy; 08-07-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by trambo View Post
Rather than being punitive (which you can't be really) maybe if that certain % is deemed to have been altered then all of the cards either don't get graded or all of them get the "A". Not sure any of it really has legs but bringing ideas to potentially help the hobby is a good thing!
OK Maybe all of them getting the "A" justifies keeping the money. I was thinking just sending them back keeps the cost down and makes it more palatable for PSA. I'm a realist and realize you can't count on PSA to volunteer to give upp all that good card doctor money.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM
pete ullman

there needs to be a risk on the part of the doctors sending in doctored cards...like permanently defacing/marking cards shown to be altered...but the problem is their detection process needs to be fullproof...which they are not.

And what if the sender didn't doctor the card themselves...should they be punished?

It's not fixable i hate to say.