NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Default "The Glory of Their Times" by Lawrence Ritter

In answering a members post regarding a baseball book I reminded myself of something I've been wanting to post on a seperate thread. In my opinion probably the BEST baseball book ever written "The Glory of Their Times" by Larry Ritter (1966).
When I first read it as a kid it helped launch my interest in collecting autographs. Each chapter is devoted to and is basically an interview with a number of early 20th century baseball players conducted between 1962-1966. A little known fact is that even though the book sold over 360,000 copies with royalties of one quarter of a million dollars. Ritter as part of his original agreement divided the proceeds equally between himself and the 22 men in the original book and eventually their estates. Taking only one share for himself.
I came to know Larry Ritter personally quite by accident , One day around 1991 I recieved a phone call and the caller placed a small order from one of my autograph catalogs. In writing down the information he gave me his name and I said "Same name as the guy that wrote the best baseball book ever" , he was kind of quiet for a second or two and modestly told me he was the author , I was FLOORED !!! Although I never met him we would have many conversations over the years and the thing that amazed me the most was his genuine humility.
I told him how many collectors shared my opinion about the book. Inevidably in my conversations with other collectors his name would come up. One collector asked me one day if it would be possible for me to provide Mr Ritter's address in order that he get his copy of the book signed. I told him I'd be happy to ask him if it would be OK. His answer was amazing ! he told me "give them my phone number". He always signed the books and it never ceased to amaze me how many people would call back to thank me after spending an hour on the phone with Larry Ritter.
I asked him one day "Are you sure you don't mind the imposition of all of those phone calls ?" and he said he actually enjoyed it and to feel free to give his number , no need to ask his permission. Wow !
Lawrence Ritter passed away in 2004. I still have my dog eared weather worn copy of "Glory of Their Times" and no I never asked Larry to sign it, wish I did. Quite a guy , quite a book.

What follows is a paragraph from wiki regarding the book , enjoy

In researching The Glory of Their Times, Ritter travelled 75,000 miles to interview his subjects, sitting for hours listening to them tell their tales into his tape recorder. Ritter's "Existential" style of interviewing was to allow his subjects to reminisce freely, rarely prodding or probing them on anything. No questions about specific games. No questions about what it was like to face certain players. Ritter's technique was to get his interviewee comfortable around him, to turn the tape-recorder on, and shut up while his subjects spoke. Ritter's style elicited responses that other reporters never reach with questions. His most difficult "find" was Sam Crawford, who shared the outfield with Ty Cobb in Detroit. After being given only cryptic hints about where he might find Crawford, i.e., "drive between 175 and 225 miles north of Los Angeles", Crawford's wife told Ritter, "and you'll be warm" - Ritter ended up in Baywood Park, California where his inquiries yielded nothing. After several days, he sat in a laundromat watching his clothes spin beside an old man. Ritter asked him if he knew anything about Sam Crawford, the old ball player. The man replied, "Well I should hope so. Bein' as I'm him."
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 AM

Just picked up a 1st edition on ebay for 10 bucks....I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the post Jim. PS: Extremely pleased with the Mantle/Unitas/Williams piece.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Default JimStinson

Thanks glad you like the Legends signed piece.

I should warn you about the book though if you have never read it you are in for a treat .....you'll end up reading it about six times
Old 11-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Max Weder

Best baseball book and best 4cd

Last edited by baseballart; 11-10-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 PM

This thread brought back great memories, and made me go pull out my own copy of "The Glory of Their Times," which I hadn't looked at in several years.

The book was published in 1966, and I got my copy in 1969. I responded to an ad - probably in The Sporting News - where you could order a copy of the newly published "The Baseball Encyclopedia" (Macmillan) and they gave you a free copy of "Glory." TBE was a massive volume, with a hefty price for that time - $25 - and Macmillan must have used the freebie to entice buyers.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and when I went to Cooperstown for the first time, for the 1971 induction ceremonies and the founding meeting of SABR, I took it along with me. I hung around the hotel where the players were staying, and got it autographed, but looking at it now makes me wonder about some I got, and some I missed. Of the 22 players featured in the book, four were at Cooperstown (Marquard, Coveleski, Roush, and Hooper). I got Roush and Hooper to sign their respective chapters, but not Marquard or Coveleski - strange, because I got them to sign some other items for me, and I spent several hours with Marquard.

In addition, I remember thinking that some of the other Hall of Famers there were "too young" to sign the book - Musial, Feller, etc. - having played after the guys in the book. I did get some of the "older Hall of Famers" to sign, though, like Sam Rice, Pie Traynor, Zach Wheat, Red Ruffing, Lefty Grove, etc. The interesting part, though, was in some of the former teammates and friends who showed up for the induction of Hooper, Marquard, and Hafey - so I was able to add the signatures of Wickey McAvoy, Ernie Shore, Larry Gardner, Whitey Witt, Al Schacht, and Lloyd Waner (who wasn't in the book, but his brother Paul was).

Another thing I'd forgotten about, was the cancelled check I had stuck in the book - I'd sent author Larry Ritter a check for $3.95, which he endorsed and cashed. I didn't remember what that was for, until I found an advertising card in the back of the book - it gave Mr. Ritter's address, and said if you wrote and sent $3.95, you could get the "Glory of Their Times" LP, with the interviews of eight of the players. Pretty good deal, that even included the postage! Strange, though, I didn't order the LP until November 1972, three years after I got the book!

Of the 22 subjects in the book, two - Jimmie Austin and Paul Waner - died in 1965, a year before it was published. I don't know exactly when in 1966 the book came out, but two others died that year - Sam Jones in July and Rube Bressler in November. So at least 18 of the featured players could have signed the book, maybe even Jones and Bressler, too. I wonder if anyone actually tried mailing the book to all of the players, and if anyone has one that was signed by all 18 (or 19 or 20)?

Now, I think I'll read it again!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
His most difficult "find" was Sam Crawford, who shared the outfield with Ty Cobb in Detroit. After being given only cryptic hints about where he might find Crawford, i.e., "drive between 175 and 225 miles north of Los Angeles", Crawford's wife told Ritter, "and you'll be warm" - Ritter ended up in Baywood Park, California where his inquiries yielded nothing. After several days, he sat in a laundromat watching his clothes spin beside an old man. Ritter asked him if he knew anything about Sam Crawford, the old ball player. The man replied, "Well I should hope so. Bein' as I'm him." [/B][/I]
The Crawford part of the CD set is probably my favorite - I recently acquired this because it reminded me of Ritter's describing meeting people during his search for Crawford, who Sam had given his autographed HOF cards. I had to have one!

(yes, it will be cracked out of this silly plastic tomb )

Last edited by Runscott; 11-12-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Default JimStinson

Many times when Crawford would sign plaques he would sign the front and the back.

I remember buying a collection once that belong to a guy named Fred Arnold , he had a letter made up that said "The Fred Arnold Sports Museum" or something like that and he used to write to players in the 1940's and 50's asking if it would be OK to send a baseball for them to sign.

He must have struck up a friendship with Crawford because I remember there being at least 50 government postcards written by Crawford to "Freddie" as he called him. One was particularly interesting in that he told "Freddie" about his being chosen for HOF induction.

The return address where he lived was from a town in California named "Pear Blossom" and made a point one year on a western vacation to drive through the town. Just to see it , Not much was there then and probably why Crawford liked living there as he mentioned in his letters to "Freddie" that he much preferred it there compared to the "Bustle" of LA.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Default JimStinson

Of all of the players chapters featured in the book the toughest autograph is that of Jimmy Austin which I've pictured here , Austin died March of 1965. As a side note Austin achieved lasting fame in one of the most famous baseball photos of all time. That of Ty Cobb sliding into third base, Austin is the player pictured fielding the ball
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimmyaustin.jpg (43.5 KB, 166 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Default JimStinson

Cobb played hard !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobbslide.jpg (10.2 KB, 166 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Default iPod version

I recently bought this book for my iPod (after reading the original several times) and really enjoyed that version. It is basically a recording of the tapes that Larry made during his interviews along with some introductory commentary. It does not include everything in the book, but you do get to actually hear the voices of the players and their emotion when talking about their teammates and baseball in general.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who has read the book.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM
qualitycards

Here's some "glory of their times" royalty checks which I have posted before on various GOTT threads

Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
J@RR0D

Those checks are awesome!

The book (and the CDs) are some of my favorite baseball history ever. I keep it on my nightstand and pick it up about once a week, flip to any page, and just read for a bit. I'm sure I've listened to the CDs 15+ times.

I also have an older copy signed by Smokey Joe Wood.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I recently bought this book for my iPod (after reading the original several times) and really enjoyed that version. It is basically a recording of the tapes that Larry made during his interviews along with some introductory commentary. It does not include everything in the book, but you do get to actually hear the voices of the players and their emotion when talking about their teammates and baseball in general.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who has read the book.

I second this! I bought it on audible.com and was surprised that instead of someone reading it to you, it is the actual tapes he made. Excellent book.
They are starting to get more baseball books out now. I listened to Walter Johnson by Henry Thomas (who I talked to at the National while I was listening to his book) I am now listening to The Big Bam about Ruth by Leigh Montville
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Bought the audio book through itunes yesterday and it is filling my commute time admirably. I am sure I will listen to the stories as told by the pioneers of the sport many times.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 PM

My copy came in the mail today....will be starting into it shortly