NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2021, 03:59 PM
Richard L.

Are there collectors the defend KSA? Pardon my laughing as I come back to finish typing my comment!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
Are there collectors the defend KSA? Pardon my laughing as I come back to finish typing my comment!
Take off, you hoser!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

KSA is real? That's just nuttier than a Tim Horton's maple log.
1955 Dodger Autographs...41/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 03-04-2021, 04:48 PM
J@son Per1

Great thread. With that sort of timing I am seriously tempted to submit cards for the first time ever, but no offense to the OP; I seriously doubt they will flip it in a week or two. You must have incriminating photos of the owner in drag or something.

I am not territorial about the grading companies, although I agree a lot of people are. I gladly collect any of the big 3 (PSA, SGC, BVG) as well as raw cards, but have never bought a graded card outside of the big 3. I agree PSA resale value is a bit above SGC, but it is card specific. I would say as the years go from 1940 and earlier up to 1970, the $value spread between like-for-like PSA and SGC increases %-wise. In other words, the pricing can be on parity pre 1950, but by the 70s, PSA takes over. I would presume the price delta between the two widens in the 80s and beyond although I don't collect slabs beyond the 70s.

Personally I think SGC and PSG are = in terms of grading toughness, both now and historically, and BVG is on average around a half to 3/4s of a grade easier. But this is just the average and I have seen cases where the BVG grade is = to what the PSA or SGC grade would be.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:55 PM
Renay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Great thread. With that sort of timing I am seriously tempted to submit cards for the first time ever, but no offense to the OP; I seriously doubt they will flip it in a week or two. You must have incriminating photos of the owner in drag or something.

I am not territorial about the grading companies, although I agree a lot of people are. I gladly collect any of the big 3 (PSA, SGC, BVG) as well as raw cards, but have never bought a graded card outside of the big 3. I agree PSA resale value is a bit above SGC, but it is card specific. I would say as the years go from 1940 and earlier up to 1970, the $value spread between like-for-like PSA and SGC increases %-wise. In other words, the pricing can be on parity pre 1950, but by the 70s, PSA takes over. I would presume the price delta between the two widens in the 80s and beyond although I don't collect slabs beyond the 70s.

Personally I think SGC and PSG are = in terms of grading toughness, both now and historically, and BVG is on average around a half to 3/4s of a grade easier. But this is just the average and I have seen cases where the BVG grade is = to what the PSA or SGC grade would be.
Lol I love your response; OP has shown me his SGC account submission grading timelines and sadly no owners in drag photos ��... they really have upped their game and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the turnaround time!

Last edited by Lila2222; 03-04-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:35 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Drag photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila2222 View Post
Lol I love your response; OP has shown me his SGC account submission grading timelines and sadly no owners in drag photos ��... they really have upped their game and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the turnaround time!
Awesome to see a female SGC T206 collector!

TTYL Renay!

Mike
Old 03-04-2021, 05:22 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
I would say as the years go from 1940 and earlier up to 1970, the $value spread between like-for-like PSA and SGC increases %-wise. In other words, the pricing can be on parity pre 1950, but by the 70s, PSA takes over. I would presume the price delta between the two widens in the 80s and beyond although I don't collect slabs beyond the 70s.
this seems to be generally true...... if you want a Luca triple-ice pink hologram refractor signed with a piece of jersey (limited edition), then definitely PSA has you covered.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 03-04-2021, 05:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default 3 day turn! What???

A few folks have asked so here is the sub line. It was 3 vintage cards at $15 per card. I was shocked as well! I do not guarantee this for anyone let alone myself again, lol. I think it was an outlier but I'm not complaining! I told someone else on here that on March 2nd, the cards were already in "post grading" on the site so I thought there was a problem with them at first. I've never seen anything like it! Very cool!

Peace, Mike

63659358918__79233B64-C6EC-4819-B27B-A94DA6094C07.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 03-04-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
this seems to be generally true...... if you want a Luca triple-ice pink hologram refractor signed with a piece of jersey (limited edition), then definitely PSA has you covered.
Yeah, but the Cy Young in a sparkling tutu and jockstrap swatch is a much tougher card than the Luca.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Lol it’s true. I was looking for a Gretzky rookie and found my way to a few hockey groups. Some disparaging comments were made about KSA and a lot of collectors took it personally and came to their defense vigorously. They are number 1 in volume with OPC Gretzky rookies , and possibly all of hockey. I think they are under new ownership and apparently really stepped up the last few years
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 03-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Renay

Funny you mention it, I looked back recently and realized before I knew anything about grading companies the cards I bought just on aesthetics alone tended to be SGC. I'm glad they're taking advantage of the ridiculous PSA grading times (response times too)/raised prices and building their business!
Old 09-05-2021, 05:25 AM
John De Bord

Default They sure have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
Lol it’s true. I was looking for a Gretzky rookie and found my way to a few hockey groups. Some disparaging comments were made about KSA and a lot of collectors took it personally and came to their defense vigorously. They are number 1 in volume with OPC Gretzky rookies , and possibly all of hockey. I think they are under new ownership and apparently really stepped up the last few years
And along with KSA has come another Canuck grading company which is also gaining momentum among hockey collectors in Canada; Mint Grading. And no, it's not the the same company as the lower end grading company.

Their twitter is here
And their website is here

Their slabs are very similar to Beckett. It's nice to see our neighbors up north get some grading choices. I know a lot have issues with sending stuff to the states to be graded. More power to them!
Old 09-05-2021, 12:06 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Shipped 19 T206s to Boca Raton, they got em on the 11th of Aug, and I got em back yesterday, Sept 4. SGC all day long baby!!

Side Note: Shipped 10 T206s to PSA last year, still waiting………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …..

Last edited by nineunder71; 09-05-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Damn....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
Shipped 19 T206s to Boca Raton, they got em on the 11th of Aug, and I got em back yesterday, Sept 4. SGC all day long baby!!

Side Note: Shipped 10 T206s to PSA last year, still waiting………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …..
Colton,

I love the time comparison.....it's like getting your cards back lets say yesterday or maybe in a couple years. Wild times indeed. TBH no matter what you posted I was gonna respond since my fave number is 444 and well, look how many posts you have!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 09-05-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:15 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I've been pretty impressed with SGC this year. All of my standard orders have been completed within 2 weeks, and most were within one week. All of my grades have been both fair and predictable/reliable, unlike with PSA where recent grades have been a complete roll of the dice depending on which grader you get on which day. PSA turnarounds are fast now as well, but they cost $200+ per card, so that's not exactly impressive. Also, SGC slabs are starting to close the crazy gap in sales prices between them and PSA, which really widened over the past year or two, especially with modern and in other sports.

I'm also happy to report that I haven't received a single slab with sharp corners poking out on the black insert in a long time. They appear to have fixed this QC issue.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:54 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Also, SGC slabs are starting to close the crazy gap in sales prices between them and PSA, which really widened over the past year or two, especially with modern and in other sports.
I am a huge SGC supporter. But I see zero evidence of this. With tobacco cards (and perhaps other pre-war) there is and never has been a 'premium'. outside of tobacco, trying to sell an SGC slab is next to impossible without a steep discount.

Monster #236
Old 03-04-2021, 06:07 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Not going to defend them, but if you know the issue they can offer great value. Have bought 100+ and have had no issues. But the cards I'm looking for, I know what to look for. If you need the TPG to guide your decision then they are not a good call, lots of sheet cut, trimmed in KSA slabs but that is pretty common for the TPGs
Old 03-04-2021, 06:47 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Not going to defend them, but if you know the issue they can offer great value. Have bought 100+ and have had no issues. But the cards I'm looking for, I know what to look for. If you need the TPG to guide your decision then they are not a good call, lots of sheet cut, trimmed in KSA slabs but that is pretty common for the TPGs
their new slabs I think inspire a lot more confidence. I think they had issues a long time ago that no one has let it go.

Monster #236