NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default t206 dark rim

Posted By: steve

i just got my cycleback book in the mail and was reading it and on page 46, it says if there is a dark rim around the letter, it is a sure sign that the card is vintage, would that be the easiest way for someone like myself, who is just learning authenticity, to tell vintage from reprint.
thank you,
steve

Old 05-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Default t206 dark rim

Posted By: Paul Griggs

There is no single way to determine authenticity. A dark rim on a t206 letter is helpful in determining authenticity, but its not very helpful for example on a 1933 Goudey. There are more than a few things to check when authenticating, & it can vary depending on the card issue & printing technique. One thing for sure, keep reading this board, & you'll keep learning. I know I do.

Goudey

[[IMG][/IMG]

T206

IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Default t206 dark rim

Posted By: steve

thank you, i am learning more and more about the cards everyday. the cycleback book i just got is very informative. between asking you people questions and reading and research, i am getting more understanding of the differences

Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Default t206 dark rim

Posted By: Paul Griggs

David's cycleback book & website are very helpful. Also, after a few years of handling & studying cards, you'll find one of your most powerful authenticating tools will be your gut instinct. Your first instinct will be correct seemingly about 99% of the time. Always trust it, but of course verify if needed. I like to use David's print identification technique along with other checks. A good digital microscope is very handy to have around.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default t206 dark rim

Posted By: davidcycleback

The T206 issue is a case where if you have a handful of cheap commons you can identify reprints by comparison. The reprints will be distinctly different in more than one way (thickness, gloss, opacity, etc), and may be obviously different at first glance from two yards away. Many reprints in an online auction look bad, or at least dubious, and you're just looking at a picture.

For the beginning collector, buying a variety of low grade and cheaper cards is a way to see what you like and, whether you realize it or not at the time, gain an eye for what the genuine cards look like. Instead of starting off by buying a PSA10 1951 Bowman Willie Mays, buy a shoe box of beat up 1950s cards. Once you've handled and enjoyed a pile of cheap 1951 Bowman commons, putting them in your bike spokes and fliping them across the room and showing them to your friends and resting them on the dog's back, you'll have no trouble identifying the reprinted Mays or Mickey Mantle at the card show-- especially if you have a pair of beat up commons in your back pocket. The exeprienced human eye is a advanced scientific tool, and by enjoying and handling and looking at cards you are training your eyes. I think it's dubious practice for a new collector to start by buying only graded cards. I'm not sure how one can learn how to authenticate cards if the only cards one ever sees are entombed between slabs of plastic. How you can gain an eye for the gloss, texture, thickness and edges of 1951 Bowmans or 1986 Fleer basketball or 1971 Topps when they are in a plastic holder is beyond me. Though I suppose one can become an expert in the gloss, texture, thickness and edges of plastic holders.