NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default Herzog Cabinet Questions

Posted By: Zach Rice

This morning, I picked this cabinet up at an estate auction and was hoping to maybe get some help with it. The writing on the card’s front is slightly raised and is nearly perfect; it appears that it was done with a stencil. Also, the photo appears to be a gelatin silver print (if you tilt it in the light you defiantly see the “silvering”).

This cabinet was part of a grouping of 8 (only one hall of famer was featured, Marquard, and Herzog was the only non-portrait); also from the same person was a grouping of 7 T5 Pinkerton cabinets. It appears period but I haven’t seen another like it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zach Rice
Zacharyrice@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

very nice cabinet. I've not seen one like it either, but would add that the photo was taken in 1911, according to Okkonen's research on uniforms, as that's the only year Boston wore those road uni's.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Manos

I was at the auction and bought one (Doyle portrait)as well as all the T5's. Yes they will hit the B/S/T...Had great conversation with Zach and enjoyed the opportunity to purchase the items. I also would like to add on these larger images that the name or text at the bottom is machined pressed into the mount. Lastly, the auctioneer told me that the consigner was a great granddaughter of the owner of "Halls Sporting Goods" in the big town of Thornville, Ohio. I will add a link to the items in a few on the B/S/T.

Another interesting fact is that Pinkerton Tobacco Co. was based in Ohio starting in 1890 and then moved to Toledo, Ohio in 1911. Don't know what city Pinkerton Tobacco was in prior to 1911 in Ohio?? Neat stuff. Oh, very nice to spend the morning with you Zach.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Hey, why isn't Zach in school? I woulda called in sick to go to that auction too. I've not seen a cabinet like that one before. Nice score Zach, and can't wait to see the stuff you picked up as well Jim.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Zach,
I can't help with your question, but it sure is a nice image.
JimB

Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

that has the other large cabinets and the auction they all came from this morning.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

Jim

Not to hijack the thread (Sorry Zach), but all the Pinkertons appear to be mounted on the "construction paper" mounts. Can you confirm this and also what color the mounts are? Some T5 collectors are not sure whether the paper mounts are original or were used to replace the heavier mounts in scrapbooks.

Jeff Mohler

Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Thanks Jeff no harm...They are not paper but not thick cardboard either.(maybe they call them paper mounts because so thin?? The stock of mount foresure is not thick cardboard) I have only ever owned one other T5. They are all the same color mount and the color of the mount's are a greenish black, if you will.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The T5s are found on standard cardboard cabinet mounts and also distinctly lighter mounts. I don't know if the latter are paper thin, so can't comment on that. You occasionally find just the loose photos, which are the actual photos as opposed to the scorecard/postcard versions.

The photos on the T5 cabinet mounts are often crooked, so quality control wasn't Pinkerton's finest point, and may help account for variations.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Odd that the cabinet you have is dated by the uniform(per a previous post) to 1911 the same year the Pinkerton cabinets/photo's were also made. Do you think they may be some sort of T5 premium?? Especially since they all came from the same collection in Ohio?? Just food for thought?? I also read Lipsets write-up in his book and it say's something at the bottom of the list of players regarding premium but I cannot make it out do to the print in my book being so small...Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Thanks for the kudos’s on the cabinet, everyone. I am very please with the image and the large format of it.

Dan, desperate times call for drastic actions

Todd, fantastic tidbit on the dating, thanks!

Jim, I wish I knew for sure if the cabinets are related to the Pinkerton company. They do date to a very similar time, though, and come from a collection where the only other baseball items were T5s.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I saw where the auction was an estate from someone who used to own a sporting goods store so perhaps these were part of a store display? Or maybe these were owned by someone that worked for Pinkerton and are "mock ups" of some sort that perhaps were going to be used as a premium, but they never went into production? Either way you probably got a one-of-a-kind cabinet photo there.