NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default Selling with low feedback

Posted By: Julie

A friend of mine told me he bought 100 items before he tried selling anything on ebay. I know low feedback does scare some buyers off (including me). Suggestions?

Old 04-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Just do it. You gotta start sometime and there's no better time than now. Start with lesser items to build up a seller feedback base.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

First, Julie, how low is low feedback ... You don't need a 1,000 to sell. If someone has a 50 or 80 feeback with 100 perccent, that's fine.

If you are selling Pre-War cards, you are a well known person in the hobby. Bill Mastro likely knows your name. For those potential bidders who don't know you, there is nothing wrong with you giving your name, and stating that you have have had articles published in VCBC or whereever. Whether selling early baseball memorabilia or bronze statues, that the seller is a published author in a respected hobby magazine is highly condusive to gaining the trust of bidders.

Collectors don't say, "He may be a retired museum curator and author of Sotheby's Standard Guide to 18th century Sculpture, but his feedback is only 20." Collectors say, "He's a retired museum curator and author of Sotheby's Standard Guide to 18th Century Sculputre, so I'm bidding."

Have a good and clear authenticity guarantee and return policy.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Ive never had a problem with low feedback with respect to the number of transactions if the seller was still 100% positive. Though I did usually look to make sure that he/she had a few high dollar transactions in the past just for piece of mind. Im probably more at ease with a seller with 100 transactions and 100% positive feedback than I would be with a seller who has 5000 transactins with 45 negs (99.1% positive).

I have 146 and perfect feedback (roughly 75 percent as buyer, 25% as seller) - Ive never felt it to be a problem when selling cards (now or when I had fewer positives).

Old 04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

One other approach is to have your cards slabbed as a buyer protection. Julie, I know you would never go that far, but it is a possibility.

Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

Julie- some of the best purchases I have ever made on ebay were from people with less than 5 feedbacks. I am a rather trusting soul but everyone who wants to sell on ebay has to start somewhere.
tbob

Old 04-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vetekbob

Julie,
Even though we havent met being that I am new to the board, I just wanted to say that I have read a lot of posting since I registered and I appreciate the knowledge and wit and spirit in which you have helped so many others here.
In regards to being new to selling in general, I was nervous as a buyer of over $100 dollar items and not knowing who I was dealing with. I did use the feedback rating as a main guide as to whether to buy from someone or not but I also contacted them via email and or voice to ease my peace of mind because I do like to know who I am dealing with. There were other resources available to me back then I am sure but I was unaware of them. I believe that character and integrity of which you have speaks volumes over Ebays rating. You have proven yourself as an honest buyer and I dont think it would deter buyers from any auctions you may wish to list just because you may not have a history of such. If it would ease your mind, you could always post a brief resume as to your personal and professional dealing with the fine people here as well as auction houses but I really dont see a need to do such. Looking at your feedback as it stands now, Ebay'ers can readily see that you are serious about collecting and that you are an informed person and any selling you may do would only lend to that. You will do just fine Julie.
Robert

Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

There are persons here Julie, who would love to help you sell some items. And I betcha they would do it for far less than their standard consignment fee.

When you consider all of the factors, consigning to a dealer/friend is not a bad option. I am not a dealer.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Julie, most people start with zero feedback, I did and am up to 1156. 99% sports and the rest records and other stuff. I'd love to see some of your stuff up for sale on EBAY.

Joe

Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

without going NEAR ebay, I'm more likely to try board members first.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Old 04-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Administrator

During the week when that little old cabinet was sitting at 63.00, I checked out all five other bidders. Fortunately, JC had put in an early bid, so I sniped high.

I never did figure out why JC had bid so early--he usually just snipes, like I do. I was HOPING it meant it was just a passing fancy, but I didn't count on it.

Selling stuff on ebay, I check out ALL the bidders' feedback, trying to figure ouyt who's likely to give me a decent price...

Old 04-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator