NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-26-2021, 12:40 PM
Michael

Default Yankees 1969(?) Malanga set

There is a Yankees team set that is identified as a 1969 Malanga team set. I first saw it mentioned on Beckett's website several years ago. They describe it as "This 12-card set was issued in four strips of three cards each measuring approximately 8 1/2" by 3 3/4" and could be obtained from the artist. The fronts carry very crude black-and-white drawings of New York Yankee players by Rocco Malanga. The backs are blank. The cards are unnumbered and checklisted below in alphabetical order." The only other place I've ever seen it mentioned (besides Net54) is the book by William Wilen that came out in 2016, The Mickey Mantle Baseball Card Collector's Guide. He wrote that "This was a 12-card set produced by artist Rocco Malanga and was issued in four strips of three cards each. The cards contained black and white drawings of New York Yankee players." The first photo shows the set.

My first question is: does anyone have any information (advertisement, ordering form, etc.) that clearly shows the set was issued in 1969, i.e., is it possible the set was issued in 1968? I've looked online for a few months now and can find nothing. The reason I'm looking is because of a poster I picked up several months ago. It is shown in the second photo. It is 50 inches tall by 40 inches wide. I've included the 1968 Yankees Yearbook at the bottom to help with the scale of the poster and to illustrate why I have the question I do. The 1968 yearbook includes the poster. In fact, many of the player pages include the drawing of the player. I've included the Mantle page in the third photo. Besides looking online for ordering info, I've searched the four Yankee programs I have for 1968 and 1969 thinking they could be logical places to advertise the set and found nothing.

Second question: the poster was signed by G. W. Michas. Anybody have any idea who that is?

Thanks for reading and any info you may have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210721_195903.jpg (77.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 20210721_191654 resized.jpg (77.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle Page 1968 Yearbook.jpg (78.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 11-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Chris

Really interesting questions. Unfortunately, all I know about the set is what I know from you. Love the card you traded me! And love your set.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:54 PM
Ben W.hitener

Very nice poster Mike! I know little about the set as well. I do have the back that came with the set (blank and thicker card stock). Like yours, mine are cut with what looks like scissors in some locations.

I have one edge on the White panel that has an edge that looks like an OPC variety Three of my panels are handcut on the bottom of the panel, and the Hamilton/Talbot/White panel is handcut on the top.

Very interesting about the 68 yearbook and poster! I take it the magazine does not reference the artist of the sketches anywhere? Curious if Michas was an artist too?

I have not found any additional info other than the two sources you mention for the set. Would love to find…

This is a pic from the Beckett Vintage Almanac of the set too (same info you found online).

Old 11-28-2021, 09:41 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
Very nice poster Mike! I know little about the set as well. I do have the back that came with the set (blank and thicker card stock). Like yours, mine are cut with what looks like scissors in some locations.

I have one edge on the White panel that has an edge that looks like an OPC variety Three of my panels are handcut on the bottom of the panel, and the Hamilton/Talbot/White panel is handcut on the top.

Very interesting about the 68 yearbook and poster! I take it the magazine does not reference the artist of the sketches anywhere? Curious if Michas was an artist too?

I have not found any additional info other than the two sources you mention for the set. Would love to find…
Hey Ben. You're correct, the 68 yearbook doesn't reference the artist. The only reference that could refer to the sketches is "Yankee Yearbook designed and illustrated by New Studio, Inc." I couldn't find anything about New Studio, Inc. either.

It's also somewhat interesting that the 69 yearbook has illustrations for the players as well. These are colored and, believe it or not, I don't think look as nice as the 68 illustrations.