NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-19-2021, 06:41 PM
Randy Capel

Default Authentication Letters, OR ARE THEY?

I don't get this. An auction house tells you they have an item up for auction that includes a XXX Letter of Authenticity. Seems the description is pretty clear. They have an item for auction that has been authenticated by a truly well respected, highly trusted authenticator in the business that says, in their professional opinion, that this autograph on this item is real. (And because of our highly respected and well documented history of being right you can take that to the bank!) Well how about when you get this item with this letter, and the letter says we only really mean this if you pay us an additional $xx to confirm this opinion. What the heck! How can this really be an authenticated item to begin with? Or is it really authentic, but potentially is not authentic after 45 days? It does not seem quite right to me.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:11 PM
Jim M.arinari

Auction LOA. I don't take much stock in LOA's in general, but It has given me a little piece of mind on a few items that I couldn't tell solely by the scans for instance.
For that reason, I have never paid for a 'Full LOA'. I just print out the auction description, invoice and keep any paperwork filed in case I go to resell and it matters to the buyer. I also give my personal guarantee that it would grade authentic or money back no questions.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:15 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Auction LOA. I don't take much stock in LOA's in general, but It has given me a little piece of mind on a few items that I couldn't tell solely by the scans for instance.
For that reason, I have never paid for a 'Full LOA'. I just print out the auction description, invoice and keep any paperwork filed in case I go to resell and it matters to the buyer. I also give my personal guarantee that it would grade authentic or money back no questions.
+1 Agree.
Just another way to make money for themselves by driving up the value of the bids/their % without having to go thru the hassle, time and expense of getting it actually done

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-20-2021, 11:11 AM
Randy Capel

Agree, and do that myself.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:23 AM

Default Authentication letter

So I went to the Chicago sports show yesterday where the "BIG 3". authentication companies were set up. I took a 1947 mini bat given to the Rockford Peaches manager by the team. I suspected this might be the case but thought I would at least see what the reaction was. The mini bat was wood engraved by the 17 players. Some printed their names on the bat...however, several including Kamenshek wrote with the wood engraver in cursive. All 3 companies said they would not authenticate the signatures because it was NOT live ink. Not a problem--I know they are real signatures but interesting that they all chose to stay away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rpbat1.jpg (80.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 1947.jpg (75.6 KB, 111 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's a very cool piece. Who cares what they say, as it's just a money-making tool that's not necessary since you know what it is. Awesome item... thanks for sharing!
Old 11-20-2021, 02:50 PM

Default Authentication letter

Thanks! I actually have another as well which was a gift from Helen Filarski to her sister Grace. The story I have heard was that these mini bats were possibly made by special needs people from the community and then sold at the Peaches games at the Beyer Stadium souvenir stand. Felt great to find one and then several years later...a second...was curious what the 3 companies would say or if any would be different than another...they were not.