NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-14-2021, 08:49 AM

Default Collection Inventory Software

My wife has expressed some concerns over knowing what to do with my collection when I move on. Does anyone have a recommendation for good software to catalog a collection of cards and memorabilia?
Old 11-14-2021, 09:35 AM
Al Richter

I leave the software to someone else, but think it wise to have a contact for her of someone in the hobby you trust to help her out in the event of a sudden moving on. And any inventory/records you have should include the cost basis of the collection as well as the value
Old 11-14-2021, 09:49 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I leave the software to someone else, but think it wise to have a contact for her of someone in the hobby you trust to help her out in the event of a sudden moving on. And any inventory/records you have should include the cost basis of the collection as well as the value
Check with a certified tax advisor, but I thought collectibles, once inherited, gain the current value as the cost basis for the inheritor.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:00 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Check with a certified tax advisor, but I thought collectibles, once inherited, gain the current value as the cost basis for the inheritor.
That is the current law but it could change.

As far as software, I put my graded cards in the PSA Registry software. The cards automatically link now to their auction report values. For ungraded, I use an Excel spreadsheet.

I get most of my cards on ebay or other sites like Battersbox and COMC that have good scans of the cards, so when I buy them I copy those pics to a folder.

Ebay and COMC also let you download a historical purchase file that you can convert to Excel.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:00 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Normally yes, but not always so straightforward:

Does the couple live in a community property state?

How are the assets/cards shown as owned, just by the husband, just by the wife, jointly, something other than a 50/50 split?

Were the assets/cards all acquired before the couple was married, after the couple was married, part before and part after?

Were the assets/cards part of a collection/investment, or were they part of a dealer inventory?

Were the assets/cards in a trust, and if so, what type of a trust?

Does the state the couple live in have their own state inheritance tax?

And so on......................

As noted above, check with a certified tax advisor in the state you live in. And as another poster noted, there is still a possible change to the estate tax laws that might be getting passed by the current administration, and no one yet knows how that may finally change/effect current federal estate tax laws.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:12 PM

I was really just looking for advice on a software to catalog and document the collection. Not overly concerned with tax implications.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:33 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo75 View Post
I was really just looking for advice on a software to catalog and document the collection. Not overly concerned with tax implications.
Was really answering the other poster's question, sorry.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:33 PM
Dan Paradis

Default Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo75 View Post
My wife has expressed some concerns over knowing what to do with my collection when I move on. Does anyone have a recommendation for good software to catalog a collection of cards and memorabilia?
Great app called “Home Contents”
Old 11-16-2021, 08:19 AM
Jason Presley

As an online resource, TradingCardDB.com is a good free option, though it has no export capability.

I don't know that there is a good, go-to card cataloging software since Beckett sued Card Collector out of existence.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 AM

I am old school….how about a paper notebook? List all cards on a separate page according to year.
Notes on margin about condition, rarity, approx value …
I just don’t like doing things on the computer and I think that a notebook would be an easier document to retrieve , understand, and use once the time occurs.

Scott
Old 11-16-2021, 10:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

My advice would be whether it's a notebook or a spreadsheet, leave or send an "In case something happens" email. My wife knows I have a valuable collection because she knows what it's insured for, but if someone is just going through boxes one day after my funeral, they probably aren't going to know Mickey Mantle from Mickey Vernon, or a $100 card from a $1,000 card.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:19 PM
Steve

Default Maybe off-topic

My ex recently demanded to know what my assets amounted to and where my residence was located because she "needed to know" in order to arrange her schedule in the event of my death. I replied that I had long since made arrangements for what I will do in the event of her death. Have not heard back. Sorry that I can't provide more help.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:00 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

There was a member here who created several set inventory programs... Lonnie I think his name is?
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.