NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2021, 10:05 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There is some interesting news coming out tomorrow I believe. Not SGC. I personally think that transaction will happen sooner or later.
What news?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2021, 10:56 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Fake news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
What news?

Fake news! There is none. The news is that SGC is blasting their competition and its hilarious......and a bit lucrative I might add!

Peace, Mike
Old 07-01-2021, 04:46 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Fake news! There is none. The news is that SGC is blasting their competition and its hilarious......and a bit lucrative I might add!

Peace, Mike
I wouldn't go that far. Have you ever tried to sell an SGC card via auction?? I have. It wasn't pretty.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:58 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Have you ever tried to sell an SGC card via auction?? I have. It wasn't pretty.
depends on the card. my guess is the card you sold was a common, registry type card.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
What news?

Brendan Coffey

July 1, 2021, 8:30 AM·3 min read

Not only is sports memorabilia hot—sports memorabilia companies are on fire, too.

Sports collectibles auction pioneer Ken Goldin has sold Goldin Auctions to Collectors Holdings, a group owned by New York Mets owner Steve Cohen, hedge fund billionaire Dan Sundheim and venture capital investor Nat Turner. Goldin, who founded his self-named auction house in 2012, remains with the firm and will operate Goldin Auctions as an independent business. Collectors Holdings will provide capital to expand Goldin Auctions’ capabilities in the red-hot memorabilia market.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Peace, Mike
If you say so but read what has been posted. I don't make stuff up.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-01-2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:00 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Sgc.....

Quote:
If you say so but read what has been posted. I don't make stuff up.
What a surprise...... SGC is still SGC and will continue to school all other grading companies. Big or small!

Like I've always said, SGC is here to stay. Other companies can merge all they want. I'm sure now that Goldin is part of PSA he will personally grade all of their backlogged orders! Poof! Voila!

Peace, Mike

PS Your point was that SGC had some big changes. There are none. My point was that SGC will continue to operate and thrive. Bingo!

Last edited by vthobby; 07-01-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What a surprise...... SGC is still SGC and will continue to school all other grading companies. Big or small!

Like I've always said, SGC is here to stay. Other companies can merge all they want. I'm sure now that Goldin is part of PSA he will personally grade all of their backlogged orders! Poof! Voila!

Peace, Mike

PS Your point was that SGC had some big changes. There are none. My point was that SGC will continue to operate and thrive. Bingo!
I didn't say they were happening today. Stay tuned. I hope you are right but not what I am hearing.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:07 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Ok.....

Quote:
I didn't say they were happening today. Stay tuned. I hope you are right but not what I am hearing.
Ok, got that but I'll stand by my core belief that they are not selling out. If anything their position just got stronger. They are literally the only game in town right now that is grading quickly.

I do realize that when you are at your best is when the money and buyout offers get thrown at you but I truly believe SGC is staying put by themselves. I've been with them from Day 1 and seen alot of changes and rumors.

All good! Thanks for spirited debate Pete!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-01-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:24 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

Peace, Mike

Old 07-01-2021, 11:18 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Be interesting to see if a "Chinese Wall" gets built between PSA and Ken. Somehow I doubt it.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
depends on the card. my guess is the card you sold was a common, registry type card.
Yes.....a high grade common from a vintage set.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:58 PM
Mike P.ap

Default 8th grade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
To be fair, at first I thought by 8th grader had somehow hacked into this thread...... a laughing meme? Oh my.

I can see you now......furiously searching the internet......"ahhh found it! OMG! I'm gonna get that Mikey Boy! This is the funniest response I've ever put on this here Net54"

Or in Canada with the exchange rate I guess it's known as Net67. PS Net67.15 by todays exchange to be exact!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-01-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:

Peace, Mike

I continue to believe SGC is a giant among insects in the industry. they are the only company that invested in their business and solved the necessary problems. They are turning my standard submissions back to me in 6-7 days with an unmatched level of consistency. But I do worry if this turnaround (was 20 days when they dropped the news) is providing enough volume to sustain their business.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 07-09-2021, 01:28 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thabnks Wid.....new results:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
I continue to believe SGC is a giant among insects in the industry. they are the only company that invested in their business and solved the necessary problems. They are turning my standard submissions back to me in 6-7 days with an unmatched level of consistency. But I do worry if this turnaround (was 20 days when they dropped the news) is providing enough volume to sustain their business.

I just submitted a LARGE order on June 26th.....that was the day I entered the order online. Sent the cards, they were there over July 4th Holiday and Voila!

Grades Popped today! July 9th. There really is no other company righ now that even remotely compares to SGC.

ID NAME DESCRIPTION GRADE AUTH CODE
1 1980-81 Topps #6 Bird/Erving/Johnson -- 5.5 --
2 1980-81 Topps #6 Bird/Erving/Johnson -- 7 --
3 1987-88 Fleer #59 Michael Jordan -- 6.5 --
4 1987-88 Fleer #59 Michael Jordan -- 8 --
5 1988-89 Fleer #17 Michael Jordan -- 9 --
6 1990 Kenner Starting Lineup MICHAEL JORDAN Brown 9 --
7 1988-89 Fleer #120 Michael Jordan All-Star 9 --
8 1986-87 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan -- 6.5 --
9 1986-87 Fleer Sticker #8 Michael Jordan -- 5 --
10 1987-88 Fleer Sticker #2 Michael Jordan -- 7.5 --
11 1986-87 Fleer #26 Clyde Drexler -- 9 --
12 1986-87 Fleer #82 Akeem Olajuwon -- 8.5 --
13 2009-10 Upper Deck First Ed. #196 STEPHEN CURRY Gold 9.5 -- $30
14 1996-97 Fleer Metal #181 Kobe Bryant -- 9.5 --
15 2020-21 Panini Prizm #278 Lamelo Ball Silver Prizm 8.5 --
16 1967 O-Pee-Chee #150 Mickey Mantle -- 2 --
17 1969 Topps #500 MICKEY MANTLE -- 4.5 --
18 1961 Topps #211 Bob Gibson -- 7.5 --
19 1961 Topps #344 Sandy Koufax -- 5.5 --
20 1961 Topps #35 Ron Santo -- 7 --
21 1961 Topps #484 Hank Aaron MVP 8 --
22 1959 Topps #478 Bob Clemente -- 4 --
23 1970 Topps #189 Thurman Munson -- 5.5 --
24 1970 O-Pee-Chee #189 Thurman Munson -- 3 --
25 1973 Topps Candy Lids THURMAN MUNSON -- 4 --
26 1973 Topps #615 Mike Schmidt -- 4.5 -- $30
27 1989 Upper Deck #1 Ken Griffey Jr. -- 8 --
28 2001 Topps Traded T247 Albert Pujols -- 9 --
29 2019 Topps #410 FERNANDO TATIS JR. -- 9.5 --
30 2000 Bowman #236 Tom Brady -- 9 --
31 2000 Skybox Impact #27 Tom Brady -- 9 --
32 2020 Topps Chrome F1 #1 Lewis Hamilton -- 9.5 --

Mike
Old 07-09-2021, 01:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

If this was the CU Board I could say, nice poppage!! But it isn't and I am banned there anyhow.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-09-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Mike P.ap

Default lol

Quote:
If this was the CU Board I could say, nice poppage!!
At least we can say it here! Not sure there is much "poppage" going on oveer in California!

Peace, Mike
Old 07-09-2021, 01:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
At least we can say it here! Not sure there is much "poppage" going on oveer in California!

Peace, Mike
See the thread on what the hobby is becoming, my friend, they are grading 24 THOUSAND cards a day lol. Although to be sure some of those might have been submitted a year or more ago.

On a serious note, it's hard for me to believe that they aren't continuing to take care of mega submitters like 4SC.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-09-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Mega....

Quote:
See the thread on what the hobby is becoming, my friend, they are grading 24 THOUSAND cards a day lol. Although to be sure some of those might have been submitted a year or more ago.

On a serious note, it's hard for me to believe that they aren't continuing to take care of mega submitters like 4SC.
Pete,

I have a good friend locally that has over 150 PSA orders in the system. This guy does millions a year in cards. This is just 1 person!

He recently got a sub back from CA that was listed as a 20 day order. It took a full year!!!!

He freaks out every time I get an SGC order back in like 2 weeks!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-09-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Pete,

I have a good friend locally that has over 150 PSA orders in the system. This guy does millions a year in cards. This is just 1 person!

He recently got a sub back from CA that was listed as a 20 day order. It took a full year!!!!

He freaks out every time I get an SGC order back in like 2 weeks!

Peace, Mike
It's certainly an opportunity for SGC and other rivals with those absurd delays, but on that modern stuff which of course is the vast majority of current subs PSA just seems to have a death grip on the market because of the almighty "10".

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-09-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:09 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Popped my grading company cherry today.

Been collecting since a kid in the late 80s like most folks here, but never have made a submission to a grading company.

Been following along on these SGC threads, and figured I'd give them a shot.

Had several prewar & 50s cards in my collection where I want to see if they are altered vs "1-1.5-2" range, and a few other that could go anywhere from a 3-4-5-6. I'm hoping good thoughts.

Very impressed with the SCG on-line platform. Entering the cards, service requests & payment were very straightforward. I am surprised they do not have a place to enter your USPS / FedEx tracking number - that worries me a little bit.

My curiosity has been killing me for where these cards stand. For my first run, I settled on eight cards.

PS - If anyone is curious they are:

1) 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson - bought from a large ungraded lot, strong eye appeal, strong corners & centering. Could be A-1-1.5-2. Great eye appeal but a hard corner crease + small stain. Very curious.

2) 1933 Goudey Paul Waner - I won two years ago in an auction as an ungraded single card. Fantastic eye appeal. Straight borders, great centering, sharp corners, the card measures. If it is not altered, it should score in the 4-5-6 range. The card "pops".

3) 1956 Topps Ted Williams - another card bought from a large ungraded auction lot that looks a legit EX w/ near perfect centering.

4) 1951 Bowman (football) Sammy Baugh - The card appears to be in 7-7.5-8 range. It's fantastic. Corners that can cut glass, but the card measures correctly.

and four different T206s:

5) A beater Speaker that looks like it was in the infantry during WWI & WWII - I just want to confirm it is authentic.
6) An OMSL Ryan. Another gem I won in an large ungraded auction lot.
7) & 8) Two scarce back T206s, again could be anywhere from 1.5 to 4.

My first grading submission, and I must admit that I'm pretty excited.
Trying to keep my expectations grounded.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:38 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:

Peter, PSA has recently "lost" one of our group subs. I am not too happy about it, as you would think with all the value of the orders, that they would have a top notch tracking policy in place. Will let you know how it transpires.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:00 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
Popped my grading company cherry today.

Been collecting since a kid in the late 80s like most folks here, but never have made a submission to a grading company.

Been following along on these SGC threads, and figured I'd give them a shot.

Had several prewar & 50s cards in my collection where I want to see if they are altered vs "1-1.5-2" range, and a few other that could go anywhere from a 3-4-5-6. I'm hoping good thoughts.

Very impressed with the SCG on-line platform. Entering the cards, service requests & payment were very straightforward. I am surprised they do not have a place to enter your USPS / FedEx tracking number - that worries me a little bit.

My curiosity has been killing me for where these cards stand. For my first run, I settled on eight cards.

PS - If anyone is curious they are:

1) 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson - bought from a large ungraded lot, strong eye appeal, strong corners & centering. Could be A-1-1.5-2. Great eye appeal but a hard corner crease + small stain. Very curious.

2) 1933 Goudey Paul Waner - I won two years ago in an auction as an ungraded single card. Fantastic eye appeal. Straight borders, great centering, sharp corners, the card measures. If it is not altered, it should score in the 4-5-6 range. The card "pops".

3) 1956 Topps Ted Williams - another card bought from a large ungraded auction lot that looks a legit EX w/ near perfect centering.

4) 1951 Bowman (football) Sammy Baugh - The card appears to be in 7-7.5-8 range. It's fantastic. Corners that can cut glass, but the card measures correctly.

and four different T206s:

5) A beater Speaker that looks like it was in the infantry during WWI & WWII - I just want to confirm it is authentic.
6) An OMSL Ryan. Another gem I won in an large ungraded auction lot.
7) & 8) Two scarce back T206s, again could be anywhere from 1.5 to 4.

My first grading submission, and I must admit that I'm pretty excited.
Trying to keep my expectations grounded.
i graded my first card a few months ago with SGC and have not looked back. you made a good choice,
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 07-15-2021, 11:17 AM
Chase

What does this tell us about the strangle hold that PSA actually has on the market that people will wait a year or more to get their cards back in PSA holders as opposed to going with a competitor?

And I highly doubt they are not pumping out submissions for all of the auction houses and their top submitters. Sure for those folks it is business as usual.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
What does this tell us about the strangle hold that PSA actually has on the market that people will wait a year or more to get their cards back in PSA holders as opposed to going with a competitor?

And I highly doubt they are not pumping out submissions for all of the auction houses and their top submitters. Sure for those folks it is business as usual.
I recently sold on ebay an SGC 10 basketball hall of fame rookie card from the 90s. It went for about 40 percent of what a PSA 10 sells for, or perhaps less.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:47 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
I recently sold on ebay an SGC 10 basketball hall of fame rookie card from the 90s. It went for about 40 percent of what a PSA 10 sells for, or perhaps less.
that's just stoopid!
Old 07-15-2021, 11:58 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

There are two different SGC 10s now, right? That is, two different grades that are both identified as a 10 on the label.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:00 PM
Chase

Quote:
Sick. PSA has done an outstanding job of making people believe they are the only game in town. I don't see that kind of disparity on vintage but it would appear that SGC modern is selling for much less than BGS too.

Nat may not have to buy SGC. Other than Mike, SGC may end up with no customers if this trend continues.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:04 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

When I got back into the hobby, which was nearly 20 years ago now, BGS 9.5s consistently sold for a premium over PSA 10s. So, y'know, things can change.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:33 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

I'm still only slightly bigger than small potatoes, but I spend $20k with PSA a year on advertising alone. I don't get any special treatment on my subs, FWIW.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-15-2021, 04:51 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I'm still only slightly bigger than small potatoes, but I spend $20k with PSA a year on advertising alone. I don't get any special treatment on my subs, FWIW.
Not an insignificant amount of money at all but I think it takes much more than that to play over there. At least from the bits of info I have been given.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:55 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Not an insignificant amount of money at all but I think it takes much more than that to play over there. At least from the bits of info I have been given.
Like I said that's just my advertising budget. Cards makes it significantly more. But yes, still only medium potatoes at most
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-15-2021, 08:18 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Yes......crazy as that sounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
There are two different SGC 10s now, right? That is, two different grades that are both identified as a 10 on the label.

Yes:

SGC 10 Gem
SGC 10 Pristine Gold Label

You have to have a keen eye and training to tell a Gem from a Pristine! lol

That is a bit too much I'd say!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (13.6 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600a.jpg (10.7 KB, 625 views)

Last edited by vthobby; 07-15-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:26 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Some cool cards.....

Just got these back today! The Payton RC is amazing!

Mike

IMG_2798.jpg

PS Sent snail mail on 8/4/21......got them back in mail today!

Last edited by vthobby; 09-03-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:04 AM
Chase

Quote:
Just got these back today! The Payton RC is amazing!

Mike

Attachment 477017

PS Sent snail mail on 8/4/21......got them back in mail today!
Thanks for sharing Mike. Congrats. So how long was the grading process once they arrived in FL?
Old 09-04-2021, 05:59 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Sgc hasnt a dam clue.

They recently graded 15 1952 topps "canadian gray backs" (their description from their drop down menu) with a note "we only label red and black backs" and for me to "send a scan" of the Frank house yellow tiger to determine if it qualifies for the variation label.

They never even looked at my submission paperwork, just took the fees and graded them as commons.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-04-2021, 07:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Sgc hasnt a dam clue.

They recently graded 15 1952 topps "canadian gray backs" (their description from their drop down menu) with a note "we only label red and black backs" and for me to "send a scan" of the Frank house yellow tiger to determine if it qualifies for the variation label.

They never even looked at my submission paperwork, just took the fees and graded them as commons.
I blame it on Matt not being there anymore. Before if there was a problem he took care of it right away and always answered any questions I had.

There are still way better than dealing with PSA and the laundry list of problems there.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:46 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I blame it on Matt not being there anymore. Before if there was a problem he took care of it right away and always answered any questions I had.

There are still way better than dealing with PSA and the laundry list of problems there.
Cant say PSA has ever graded a submission...entirely wrong! At least not on my end, but I'm sure it happened.

Also, Tom was in the shipping or review department, not sure which. He would always catch small things like this, or call if there was a dispute over a variation.

Weird times! You'd think they'd be trying to capitalize on market share instead of losing it. I'd send then some doggie doo from my sneaker before I send another card to then. In essence, I now have 15 misgraded "commons", at risk to damage by cracked out

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 09-04-2021, 07:53 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Cant say PSA has ever graded a submission...entirely wrong! At least not on my end, but I'm sure it happened.

Also, Tom was in the shipping or review department, not sure which. He would always catch small things like this, or call if there was a dispute over a variation.

Weird times! You'd think they'd be trying to capitalize on market share instead of losing it. I'd send then some doggie doo from my sneaker before I send another card to then. In essence, I now have 15 misgraded "commons", at risk to damage by cracked out

Hopefully they fix it for you. I have had PSA screw up an entire order. Every card came back graded a 8. That included the card with a huge crease.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I will update. Right now they are refusing to grade any as gray backs.

"
The submission is enroute to you. When you receive it can you send me an image of the Frank House card and I'll see if it's a "yellow tiger" card? My verification team makes the decision on what the label should look say. They let me know that we don't indicate gray back on the label."

Old 09-04-2021, 08:44 AM
Mike P.ap

Default 20 days

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Mike. Congrats. So how long was the grading process once they arrived in FL?
They got them and logged on 8/10/21, the cards were graded on 8/30/21 and on way back two days later!

Really nice to have cards graded fairly, economically, and on a timeline that they tell you will happen!

Usually they are even quicker but I think they have been getting swamped lately!

Mike
Old 09-04-2021, 06:14 PM
Chase

Quote:
They got them and logged on 8/10/21, the cards were graded on 8/30/21 and on way back two days later!

Really nice to have cards graded fairly, economically, and on a timeline that they tell you will happen!

Usually they are even quicker but I think they have been getting swamped lately!

Mike
Thanks Mike! Sounds like only one TPG is doing it the right way.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:25 AM
John De Bord

Default They sure have

Quote:
Lol it’s true. I was looking for a Gretzky rookie and found my way to a few hockey groups. Some disparaging comments were made about KSA and a lot of collectors took it personally and came to their defense vigorously. They are number 1 in volume with OPC Gretzky rookies , and possibly all of hockey. I think they are under new ownership and apparently really stepped up the last few years
And along with KSA has come another Canuck grading company which is also gaining momentum among hockey collectors in Canada; Mint Grading. And no, it's not the the same company as the lower end grading company.

Their twitter is here
And their website is here

Their slabs are very similar to Beckett. It's nice to see our neighbors up north get some grading choices. I know a lot have issues with sending stuff to the states to be graded. More power to them!
Old 09-05-2021, 12:06 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Shipped 19 T206s to Boca Raton, they got em on the 11th of Aug, and I got em back yesterday, Sept 4. SGC all day long baby!!

Side Note: Shipped 10 T206s to PSA last year, still waiting………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …..

Last edited by nineunder71; 09-05-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Damn....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
Shipped 19 T206s to Boca Raton, they got em on the 11th of Aug, and I got em back yesterday, Sept 4. SGC all day long baby!!

Side Note: Shipped 10 T206s to PSA last year, still waiting………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …..
Colton,

I love the time comparison.....it's like getting your cards back lets say yesterday or maybe in a couple years. Wild times indeed. TBH no matter what you posted I was gonna respond since my fave number is 444 and well, look how many posts you have!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 09-05-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:15 PM
+j +R@!|
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I've been pretty impressed with SGC this year. All of my standard orders have been completed within 2 weeks, and most were within one week. All of my grades have been both fair and predictable/reliable, unlike with PSA where recent grades have been a complete roll of the dice depending on which grader you get on which day. PSA turnarounds are fast now as well, but they cost $200+ per card, so that's not exactly impressive. Also, SGC slabs are starting to close the crazy gap in sales prices between them and PSA, which really widened over the past year or two, especially with modern and in other sports.

I'm also happy to report that I haven't received a single slab with sharp corners poking out on the black insert in a long time. They appear to have fixed this QC issue.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:54 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Also, SGC slabs are starting to close the crazy gap in sales prices between them and PSA, which really widened over the past year or two, especially with modern and in other sports.
I am a huge SGC supporter. But I see zero evidence of this. With tobacco cards (and perhaps other pre-war) there is and never has been a 'premium'. outside of tobacco, trying to sell an SGC slab is next to impossible without a steep discount.

Monster #236
Old 09-06-2021, 08:11 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I am a huge SGC supporter. But I see zero evidence of this. With tobacco cards (and perhaps other pre-war) there is and never has been a 'premium'. outside of tobacco, trying to sell an SGC slab is next to impossible without a steep discount.
Agreed I do not see any evidence of that and we had another Thread where I believe Ryan H. Showed a couple of cards that had the Same grade SGC vs PSA and PSA was almost 40% more expensive and most of the thread had everyone split which was nicer and which was not

The Thread was called which one was nicer

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=306452

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-06-2021, 10:00 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

12 gray backs. All mislabeled

1 yellow tiger house mislabeled

All were described appropriately via SGCs drop down menu

Graded fast...but no excuse

People really graded VG commons at $25 a card?

Old 09-06-2021, 05:01 PM
+j +R@!|
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
12 gray backs. All mislabeled

1 yellow tiger house mislabeled

All were described appropriately via SGCs drop down menu

Graded fast...but no excuse

People really graded VG commons at $25 a card?

Do you have some examples of these backs next to the typical red backs and black backs that you can post? Same card side-by-side, one gray, one not?

Last time I had an issue with a couple of SGC graded cards, I reached out to customer service and they were on it right away. I literally received a phone call that evening from an executive and the following morning I had a FedEx overnight label in my inbox. I shipped the cards out from CA to FL that day, and literally had them back in hand with new holders 42 hours later. Granted, they were high-ish end cards, but the customer service I received was outstanding. Hopefully yours will be as well.

Last edited by Snowman; 09-06-2021 at 05:01 PM.