NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2022, 02:41 AM
J@mes In.gram

Default Game Differences, Then - Now

I’ve been watching a lot of baseball game TV broadcasts from the 60s, 70s and some 80s. I’ve noticed quite a few differences between those games and the games of today. Below are some findings and opinions in no particular order, from observations of the old games vs today. I have copied these from Terence Morgan, lives in LA but attends "Baseball Camp" at Vero Beach in Florida every year. Yes, they still do baseball things there, even though the Dodgers do their spring training in Arizona.

BALLPARKS/FIELDS
- The natural grass/dirt infields were not as meticulously manicured as today. The lip of the grass to the dirt was not a sharp, distinct cut.
- The infield dirt was looser and drier. When a player slid in the base, there was more “dust.” Today it would have been better watered.
- Players did a lot of dirt manicuring with their toes. It seems they were constantly reaching out with their toe and smoothing the dimple in the dirt on the infield or batter’s box.
- The Pitcher’s mound was higher, advantage pitcher (pre-69)
- Dugouts had no protective netting from foul balls
- Photographers were allowed on the field near first base. They were so close they could interfere with a pop-up foul ball.

FANS
- Most men wore suits and ties or sport coats and ties. Sometimes fedora hats. No shorts or T-Shirts.
- Many more men attended than women
- Some men were smoking cigars or pipes
- Ball boys/men never gave a foul ball to a fan
- If a fan interfered with a fair ball, they were thrown out of the game (some still are today)

UMPIRES
- The bills of their hats of the umps on each base were short like the Home Plate ump (60s)
- Umps were much more animated - The strikes and out calls were more dramatic with higher hand waving
- The strike zone was shorter and wider
- A lot of strikes called then would be balls today (too wide then)
- A lot of balls then would be strikes today (is a higher zone now)
- AL Umps wore outside protectors

PLAYERS
- Batters dug in more. Sometimes with several digs with their feet to make a rut. If Drysdale or Nolan Ryan was pitching, expect a bean-ball to your head for such disrespect.
- Catchers blocked the plate, sometimes to their downfall.
- I was surprised how long it took to get a relief pitcher to come in. Even after the manager made the call, some pitchers stayed in the bullpen throwing several more pitches.
- Some players were seen chewing tobacco with the big wad in their cheek
- Most batters used two bats in the on-deck circle rather than the donut
- Most players wore helmets with no ear flap helmet
- Some players wore no helmets (Norm Cash 68)
- No batting gloves. Players reached down to get some dirt on their hands, in the batter’s box, and in the field.
- Players wore their stirrup socks the proper way (in my opinion). The stirrup sock was visible to at least the bottom of the calve or to just above it. No players had pants all the way down to their shoes.

THE GAME
- The game was much faster. Some games were less than 2 hours. Average 2 hours, 20 minutes. Get the ball, throw the ball. Get in the batter’s box, swing the bat. Even when a batter stepped out of the box, he paused, took a deep breath, did a swing, and got back in the box. The pitch soon arrived.
- Not as much nibbling at the corners. Just throw it and make them “miss-hit” it
- Not as many relief pitchers in a game
- More complete games
- World series games were played during the day even on weekdays. Horrid!
- Less screen clutter on TV. Not so many stats on the screen. No scrolls at the bottom. I really liked this.

I am sure there are a lot more differences. But these were my observations.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 04-13-2022, 05:03 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

More stolen bases and fewer home runs versus today. And unless I’m missing where it was used the shift is a newer development.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:40 AM
Matt

No 'walk up' music for every batter, or the promotional/fan interaction stuff every half inning hosted by a team's MC.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:58 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I would like to see the pitchers mound raised back up to no more than 15 inches higher than the base line.

B. T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 04-13-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:41 AM
Eric Perry

No instances of, “…after further review, the call on the field…”

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra