NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Apologies for butting in on the Brooks thread, but I have a question for Baltimore Orioles collectors that probably isn't worth it's own thread.

I am in the process of a long overdue cataloging of my Paul Blair collection and I have several questions I am struggling to resolve. I am still working to see if I can answer some myself, but this one I cannot figure out: TCDB's Paul Blair checklist lists a 1970 Traffic Safety set and a 1971 DMV Safety set. The two sets have identical checklists, but I cannot find any source other than TCDB that lists them separately. To complicate things, the 1971 DMV set has pictures for each card, while the 1970 has no pictures. So, I can't even compare images.

To make things even stranger, on eBay you can only find these cards for the Washington Senators. Not a single Oriole to be found. I suspect that there is only one such set and it is erroneously listed twice on TCDB. Can any of the experts here clear up for me whether there are one or two of these traffic safety sets? Thank you.

Here is the one I have:

Jeff,

I am aware of only the one Orioles set from 1970, while the Senators did a similar set in 1971. You can often find them as uncut sheets.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:00 PM
Alan Strout

Default New Brooks Robinson postcard

Hi guys,

I just picked up what I believe is a new 1966 team issued postcard variation of Brooks, or at least new to me. It's not listed in the postcard books I use for reference.

I believe the postcard is trimmed about 1/4" at the top, but is still a different cropping variation from the other two I have. The back of the postcard is postmarked 1967, but has the characteristics of the 1966 issue.

The two differences include a gap between the V neck of the uniform and the border of the photo and the stripe of the sleeve isn't visible in the bottom right.

SCAN0083.jpg

Here's the new variation (bottom left) compared to the two others I have.

1966 Postcards 09 - Copy.JPG
Old 11-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Jeff,

I am aware of only the one Orioles set from 1970, while the Senators did a similar set in 1971. You can often find them as uncut sheets.

Hope this helps.
Yes, it helps a lot. TCDB is a great resource, but because it is crowdsourced, there are obvious faults. This is the third time I have found a single set with multiple descriptions/entries. The other two I was able to resolve on my own.

While I am sure the numbers will change as I continue to research, I think I have identified 210 unique Paul Blair cards, of which I have 146. Of the balance I don't have, there are close to 30 that I am ambivalent about collecting, like Tristar cut auto cards and Topps Heritage buybacks.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Great Bumper Sticker collection!
I was sorting through some things today (looking for something else) and ran across this "Sign Cal Now" bumper sticker from 1992:

Old 11-06-2021, 01:16 PM
Bill H@e1ig

In February of 2000, the Charlotte O's ballclub held a 20th year reunion of their 1980 Southern League Championship team & I was fortunate that one of the participants (mgr. Jimmy Williams) sent me a program & group picture from the event:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 11-07-2021 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:55 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
In February of 2000, the Charlotte O's ballclub held a 20th reunion of their 1980 Southern League Championship team & I was fortunate that one of the participants (mgr. Jimmy Williams) sent me a program & group picture from the event:
Bill,

Very cool item. I love the way they incorporated the players names into the cover art.

I think we forget how important league championships are to minor league cities and the players that never reach the major leagues.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:13 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

Very cool item. I love the way they incorporated the players names into the cover art.

I think we forget how important league championships are to minor league cities and the players that never reach the major leagues.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Alan....

The artwork is indeed very cool & I agree about your point how important these championships really are to these men. Somewhere I have a reunion team ball signed by these guys that night as well.

I look at Cal & think that in only about two months of this photo being taken he would get his 3,000th career hit.

Anyways, I just picked this up on eBay because I thought it was neat (and inexpensive). It's some sort of a 1976 bus ticket from Disneyland to Newport Beach signed by Grant Jackson, Ken Holtzman, Ken Singleton & Brooks.

One of the reasons I thought it was cool was that it included Ken Holtzman, who was only with the Orioles for less than three months & to see anything associated with his time there is unique. I suspect this was signed during the Orioles only trip to Anaheim prior to him (and Grant J.) being dealt to New York (April 19-21):

Last edited by roarfrom34; 11-08-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:20 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:

One of the reasons I thought it was cool was that it included Ken Holtzman, who was only with the Orioles for less than three months & to see anything associated with his time there is unique. I suspect this was signed during the Orioles only trip to Anaheim prior to him (and Grant J.) being dealt to New York (April 19-21):

Bill,

You are correct Ken Holtzman items as an Oriole are few. He did somehow make the cut for the 1976 English Lids set and of course a team issued photo.

1976 Englsh Lids (LargeKen Holztman).JPG

Holtzman, Ken (Tadder) 4x5.jpg
Old 11-09-2021, 04:31 PM

Default 2007 and 2011 Orioles Yearbooks Needed to Complete my Run

Does anyone have a 2007 and 2011 Orioles Yearbook?

Let me know at Charles.strite@yahoo.com
Old 11-18-2021, 06:23 PM
M@rk Comer

Unsure if I posted this photo before, but if not it's a good one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 200 b Photo 1966 by Jay Spencer March 13.jpg (71.8 KB, 356 views)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:04 PM
Alan Strout

Default James Elder Orioles Postcards

Super excited to get this James Elder postcard in the mail today. Billy Short is the last one I needed to finally complete my Orioles set

SCAN0107.JPG

James Elder was from Florida and did a set of around 1400 postcards that he sold individually and as sets. I believe he even offered them to players to use for autograph requests, although I don't have any that have gone through the mail.

Here's an older post that talks a little about James Elder.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234476

There are 30 or 31 Orioles depending on your definition. One player, Frank Sigafoos, appears in a Baltimore Oriole uniform while they were a minor league team before 1954. It's an interesting mix of players & coaches. Most are them are not household names. In my opinion, the postcards are very well done and can easily be identified by the numbers stamped on back. I've been trying to complete the set of 30 Orioles for many years. Some of the higher numbers don't show up very often.

Here's the checklist of Orioles postcards

#552 Luke Appling
#558 Clint Courtney
#562 Walt Dropo
#575 Fred Hofmann
#576 Stan Hollmig
#578 Dick Hyde
#588 Hobie Landrith
#591 Dick Luebke
#593 Frank McGowan
#598 Al Pilarcik
#604 Art Quirk
#606 Earl Robinson
#610 Carl Scheib
#619 Al Smith
#621 Jim Snyder
#625 George Staller
#632 Willie Tasby
#635 Bobby Thomson
#638 Marv Throneberry
#640 Gus Triandos
#677 Billy Hitchcock
#678 Gene Stephens
#679 Albie Pearson
#680 Del Rice
#681 Paul Richards
#854 Jim Gentile
#1066 Lou Jackson
#1069 Carl Warwick
#1149 Vic Roznovsky
#1297 Billy Short

#1368 Frank Sigafoos (Minor League Orioles)

James Elder 01.JPG James Elder 02.JPG James Elder 03.JPG James Elder 04.JPG James Elder 05.JPG James Elder 06.JPG James Elder 07.JPG James Elder 08.JPG
Old 11-19-2021, 05:27 PM

Default Very cool

Very unique, Alan.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:58 AM
M@rk Comer

Alan,

Congrats on the James Elder postcard. Only one more to go...

Also, I've been behind viewing this thread and I really like the variation you picked up on the '66 team issue postcard. I always enjoy seeing variations of Brooks items and just something else to add to the list to acquire.

I haven't been doing much of anything on the collecting front so I have to view others items in their collection; "almost" as fun..
Old 11-21-2021, 07:33 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954-55 Oakland Oaks

Good morning guys

Looking for help from any PCL experts with my O's minor league affiliates collection.

I'm currently working on putting together programs from all the Orioles minor league affiliates. I also want to include programs from any co-op teams that the Orioles had working agreements with and/or provided players for during the season.

My question.

In 1954 and 1955, the Orioles didn't have a AAA affiliate. The highest affiliated minor league team with the Orioles were the AA San Antonio Missions. The Oakland Oaks were in the Pacific Coast League, which was classified as Open during 1954-55. The Oaks weren't affiliated with any MLB team. However several players that played for the Oaks during 1954-1955 appeared for the Orioles during the 1954, 1955 and even 1956 seasons. The Oakland Oaks moved to Vancouver in 1956 and became the Mounties (an Orioles affiliate from 1956-1960).

The best example is Duane Pillette, who appeared for the Orioles in 1954 & 1955. He also pitched briefly for the Oaks in 1955. Pillette was traded to the Phillies before the 1956 season. There are plenty of other Oaks players that ended up in Baltimore, but most after 1955.

Does anyone know if the Orioles had any kind of working agreement with Oakland during the 1954 and 55 seasons to provide them players or did teams just purchase contracts directly from the Oaks? My research hasn't confirmed an actual connection with the Orioles. Thanks

1954 Oakland Oaks.jpg

1955 Oakland Oaks #1.jpg 1955 Oakland Oaks #2.jpg
Old 11-21-2021, 04:28 PM

Default Orioles affiliates

Alan, not my strength but your research equals mine. The Orioles highest affiliate was AA San Antonio. As far as I can tell, the Oaks were last affiliated with the Yankees in the late 30s but not a lot of details on that. Some notable Orioles came from the Oaks.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:35 PM

Default Missing Mark's daily posts

We need to talk Mark into posting something unique daily. his posts for a year straight and the replies/adds by folks often serve me when researching different items. Anyway, I am always looking for odd ball items and like to share. Here are a couple recent pick ups. I am not sure what year the bag is or where it was used (Memorial Stadium or Camden Yards) but it is really cool and was "cheap." I had to have it. I was used to sell Orioles programs. If i ever decide to be a paper boy again, I have my bag. Any insights on the year?

Another item I picked up is this Oriole player disply for Autographed baseballs. Some big named guys here. It still has the order forms attached on the top right. The balls came with a base. I think this is 1975 or so. Anyone of any of the balls?

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Os Bag.jpg (38.2 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg Ball Display.jpg (17.2 KB, 347 views)
Old 11-22-2021, 08:21 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Charlie:

Neat items...I always love the Point of Sale ad pieces. I did get both the Brooks & Belanger signed baseballs back in the day (mail order for me, as they also advertised in Baseball Digest I believe).

Picked up this Elimra (NY) banquet program from January, 1968 which brought in some fairly big names of the day (Csonka, Jersey Joe Walcott, etc.).

My interest was that Cal Ripken Sr.'s name was shown on the cover. 1968 was the only season that Rip Sr. managed the Elmira Pioneers (Class AA) & the club went a respectful 77-63:

Old 11-22-2021, 07:25 PM

Default Bill - Sports Committee Sogn

Very cool, Bill. Some great names on the sign. Huge fan of Csonka, Blair and Ripken. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:24 AM
Alan Strout

Default Doug Jones passing

I just saw where former Orioles relief pitcher Doug Jones passed away at age 64. Most of Jones success was with Cleveland, but he did have 22 saves for the Orioles in 1995.

Jones, Doug 1.jpg
Old 11-24-2021, 06:00 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
I just saw where former Orioles relief pitcher Doug Jones passed away at age 64. Most of Jones success was with Cleveland, but he did have 22 saves for the Orioles in 1995.
Alan:

I was also shocked to hear the sad news about Jones...As you mentioned his only season with the Orioles was in '95 & here is a team signed ball with him on it (of course '95 is most well known as Cal's 2131 season):

Old 11-24-2021, 07:04 AM
Alan Strout

Bill,

Great looking ball. Some nice HOFers. Oh the days when you could actually read and recognize player's signatures.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:26 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
We need to talk Mark into posting something unique daily. his posts for a year straight and the replies/adds by folks often serve me when researching different items.
Charlie,

I found it difficult to post something Brooks related on a daily basis and also try to post unique, not run of the mill, items. I don’t think it’s as enjoyable seeing items you see all the time. I tell you what really helped keep me motivated was people posting their items so I could view as well; made it worthwhile.

Why don’t you go for something a little easier; next year post a unique O’s item every day for the year (don’t miss a day). Start organizing now….
Old 11-24-2021, 02:37 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I hope you don't mind if I go a little off topic here because we all love Boog Powell and his name has come up frequently over the life of this thread.

Unfortunately last month Boog's daughter Jennifer was killed when she was struck by a car & Boog's son JW has set up a Go Fund Me page for the financial assistance of her only child, Cole....

I understand from someone that knows Boog well that this has understandably devastated him as Jennifer is now the second child he has lost.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving as we reflect as to what we are grateful for, all I ask is that you consider making a donation in any amount you feel you can.

If interested, you can simply make a donation on your own or perhaps we can collect an amount as a group & make one donation in the name of Net54 or something similar.

Feel free to DM with ideas....

My best wishes to all of you for a Happy Thanksgiving..

Obit:

https://www.keysnews.com/obituaries/...634772fdd.html

Go Fund Me Page:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jennifer-...t-coles-future
Old 11-28-2021, 07:22 AM

Default F.R. Woods All Star Photos with Brooks

Hi, everyone. A recent find. I saw some chatter a while back on these. The picture pack is from 1971 from Cooperstown, NY. The set I found came with the original envelope that includes the checklist. 9 out of the 12 players featured are HoFs. Our beloved Boog is included. I've had Boog forever but was lucky to find the Brooks with the other 11 players in the "set." I have included a photo of the 12 players and the envelope with the checklist. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 F.R. Woods Pictures.jpg (77.7 KB, 303 views)
Old 12-01-2021, 05:51 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Charlie: That's a neat picture pack. I was in Cooperstown back in September & that the F.R. Woods shop is still operational.

Was saddened to learn yesterday that former Chicago White Sox ace & Cy Young Award winner Lamarr Hoyt had passed away.

It reminded me back to 1983 & more specifically Game 1 of the ALCS that year (Hoyt pitched the Sox to a complete game victory). A college buddy of mine & myself made the trip down & scalped tickets to get in. One of the memories I have was that we were standing out in front of the stadium near the ticket windows and a town car pulls in near us and out walks Orioles owner Edward Bennett Williams & Larry King and I had EBW sign my program.

A few years back I was able to obtain one of the carbon copies of the Sox lineup card that afternoon:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 12-01-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:05 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Entering the 2000 season, Cal Ripken Jr. was only six hits shy of reaching the magic 3000 hit mark.

As Opening Day approached the Orioles PR department put out this comprehensive (approx. 60 page) guide as to his "hit history."

It not only detailed the 2994 hits he had going into the season, it also provided an alphabetical guide of his career history with every pitcher he had at least one hit off of:

Old 12-09-2021, 05:46 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Learned last night that Richie Lewis who pitched in over 200 MLB games as well as having two different brief stints (1992 & '98) with the Orioles passed away.

I recall a few years ago seeing him as a guest on the Dr. Phil show getting help with both depression & alcohol issues.

Here is an index card he signed for me TTM at some point during the 90's...

Alan, just curious if he was part of any team issues?
Old 12-09-2021, 07:15 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Learned last night that Richie Lewis who pitched in over 200 MLB games as well as having two different brief stints (1992 & '98) with the Orioles passed away.

I recall a few years ago seeing him as a guest on the Dr. Phil show getting help with both depression & alcohol issues.

Sad news. I remember reading that Richie had numerous personal issues. I'm not aware of him appearing in any official team issues, but here's the 8x10 photo I received from the team photographer years ago. It's probably from spring training.

Richie Lewis

Lewis, Richie 1.jpg
Old 12-09-2021, 10:01 AM

Here a tough one for you…..1967 Topps high 600…..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1F60F92-28AA-401D-877F-7B553F678A47.jpg (11.5 KB, 237 views)
Old 12-11-2021, 05:11 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberson View Post
Here a tough one for you…..1967 Topps high 600…..
Anthony,

Nice ‘67! Thanks for sharing…
Old 12-11-2021, 05:13 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

Here is an index card he signed for me TTM at some point during the 90's...

That is sad news on the passing of Richie. Hate to hear the troubles some of the players go through as well.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:28 PM
Alan Strout

Over the years, the Orioles have made some trades they would like to forget, but 56 years ago the Orioles made a trade that, in my opinion, might be the best in franchise history.

On Dec 9, 1965 the Orioles acquired Frank Robinson in a trade from the Cincinnati Reds. The Orioles would win their 1st World Series the next year and Frank would win the MVP and the Triple Crown.

So who did the Orioles give up to get a future HOFer and franchise changer?
If you said pitchers Milt Pappas and Jack Baldschun, along with Of Dick Simpson you would technically be correct.

It's interesting to note that Baldschun and Simpson never unpacked their bags in Baltimore.

The trade actually started a week earlier (Dec 2) when the Orioles traded Norm Siebern to the California Angels for Simpson.

On Dec 6, Jack Baldschun was acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies for Jackie Brandt and Darold Knowles.

These two often forgotten moves, set up the trade with the Cincinnati Reds for the Orioles to receive Frank Robinson. So I guess the real answer would be that ....

The Orioles traded

1965 Postcards 08 - Copy.jpg 1965 Postcards 02 - Copy.JPG 1965 Postcards 05 - Copy.jpg 1965 Postcards 07 - Copy.jpg

FOR Future Hall of Famer

1966 Postcards 10 - Copy.JPG

Still a pretty good deal
Old 12-13-2021, 07:55 PM
Alan Strout

Default Roland Hemond

I just saw where former Orioles General Manager Roland Hemond passed away at age 92. Hemond served as O's GM from 1988-1995.

Roland Hemond team issued 8x10 photo

Hemond, Roland 1.jpg
Old 12-13-2021, 09:30 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Alan:

Great signed photo of Hemond.....I believe the only thing that I have is this original press photo of him from August of 1992, when Cal Jr. signed his contract extension:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 12-13-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:17 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Default A little late...

A little late to post this as I just saw the thread....but there were a few nice Brooks items in the Kaline Collection Heritage auctioned off last month. Since al was from Baltimore...and they are two peas in a pod as far as staying with one team their entire careers...I understand they shared a good friendship as well. Man did we lose a lot of 60's stars during COVID!

Last edited by isiahfan; 12-13-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:45 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I picked up this Orioles 1980 Organization Book off eBay recently. This is the 2nd one I have now (1981 being the other) & it appears to be for in house use only (goes into much more detail than the media guide). Interestingly on the title page, it states that the book was published 08/01/80:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 12-14-2021 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:05 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
I picked up this Orioles 1980 Organization Book off eBay recently. This is the 2nd one I have now (1981 being the other) & it appears to be for in house use only (goes into much more detail than the media guide). Interestingly on the title page, it states that the book was published 08/01/80:
Bill,

Dang, what a nice pick up. I missed that one. I have the 1978 and 1981, but need the 1980. They don't show up very often.

I think you are correct that they are printed for internal use. I have a bunch and it looks like the format has gone through some changes over the years. I equate the organization reports with the Orioles season summaries. I've never seen a season summary and organization report from the same year.

The earliest one I have is from the 1961 season and have all but two until 1971. The format is all the same (typed pages stapled together)

1961 Orioles Season Summary

1961 Season Summary.jpg

1971 Orioles Season Summary

1971 Season Summary.JPG

I don't know what they looked like from 1972-1977, but I have the 1978 organization report. It looks like from 1978 until at least 1981, the format was notebook style.

1978 Organization Report

1978 Organization Book.jpg

I need the 1982, but from 1983 until 1989, the reports looked like media guides.

1983 and 1989 Organization Books

1983 Organization Book.jpg 1989 Organization Book.jpg

Starting in 1990, the reports went back to the larger format and spiral bound.

1990 Season Summary

1990 Season Summary.jpg

Missing a bunch from recent years, but the latest I have is from 2014.

2014 Season summary

2014 Season Summary.jpg
Old 12-16-2021, 07:38 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:

I need the 1982, but from 1983 until 1989, the reports looked like media guides.

1983 and 1989 Organization Books
Alan: I checked & like you, I have the 1983-89 versions of those organizational books....

Happy 57th birthday to Bill Ripken....

Thought I'd share his 1987 road rookie jersey to celebrate the occasion:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 12-16-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:41 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Here is a team signed Charlotte Orioles bat from 1980 (Southern League Champs; including Cal Jr. #12)...I did a little research and I think the bat itself probably belonged to a Jesus Alvarez who last played in Charlotte in '77 (misspelled) and probably was stashed away in an equipment room:

Old 12-19-2021, 08:59 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Congrats to Buck Showalter for getting the Mets managerial job...I know I posted this awhile back, but here is a signed bat of his from his professional playing days (AA West Haven Yankees 1978-79)...

I purchased the bat years ago off this site & had Buck sign it at an Orioles Fan Fest (who was amazed that it still existed):

Old 12-21-2021, 06:38 AM
Mike Magee

Default Japanese Ripken Magazines

Good morning,

I recently picked up some more magazines from Japan that feature Cal. Three are from 3 consecutive years of Baseball Previews (1996-98), while the other three are from Major League Magazine.

Ripken Japanese magazines 1.jpg

Ripken Japanese magazines 2.jpg

I hope everyone has a great Christmas!
Old 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning,

I recently picked up some more magazines from Japan that feature Cal. Three are from 3 consecutive years of Baseball Previews (1996-98), while the other three are from Major League Magazine.
Mike,

Very nice. I've never seen any of those before.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:24 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning,

Attachment 493997

Attachment 493998

I hope everyone has a great Christmas!
Wow! Very COOL… I haven’t seen any of those publications before. Always love the foreign magazines. Congrats on the pickups and thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Last edited by Mark70Z; 12-22-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:50 AM
Alan Strout

I just saw where former Orioles minor leaguer Kimera Bartee passed away at age 49. While Bartee never played for the Orioles, he did spend time with the Detroit Tigers, Cincinnati Reds and Colorado Rockies. His biggest contribution to the Orioles was that he was the player to be named later, that brought Scott Erickson to the O's from the Minnesota Twins.

My spring training seats are right by first base and Kimera was always very friendly with the fans, while coaching 1st base for the Tigers, when they visited Sarasota.

I don't have much of him in my collection, but did find he was included in the Orioles set inserted into the 1994 programs. An interesting set that not only included players from the major league roster, but most of their minor league players. Set included 108 cards (12 sheets of 9). Here's the sheet that included Bartee.

1994 Orioles program set

1994 Orioles Magazine Program #9.jpg

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 12-22-2021 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:26 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I recently picked up this Brooks Robinson UPI/Sport Magazine press photo of him from one of the 1961 All Star Games mainly because I thought it was neat and also because it was taken only four days after I was born:

Happy Holidays to all!
Old 01-01-2022, 07:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Happy New Year!

Hope you guys have a wonderful New Years Day! I’ll definitely try to post more this year and thankful that Orioles items are being shared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 532D21AD-EB3A-4615-92AF-058A67FAA8D8.jpg (15.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 01-02-2022, 01:49 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Orioles Plastic Nodder

'70's Orioles plastic Nodder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orioles Nodder 1970's 1.jpg (7.9 KB, 155 views)
Old 01-02-2022, 03:15 PM
Tom Re.bert

[QUOTE=Mark70Z;2048439]Day 357 (December 22, 2020 – 357)

Early 5”x7” color picture of Brooks just outside the dugout (Kodacolor Enlargement). It’s personalized to a girl named Betty which states, “To a real sweet girl. Best of luck in the coming years. I know you will get the best. Keep Smiling Love, Brooks”. Love the old school look of the picture plus the nice early pen signature.

Kodacolor 5”x7” picture – to Betty

Betty was an avid baseball fan and acquired hundreds of sports autographs.

Betty attended the 1981 15th AA Golf Classic. Interestingly of all the baseball players including Joe DiMaggio she asked only Brooks Robinson to sign the program three times including the cover, and Otto Graham once. (available)

Last edited by Directly; 01-27-2024 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:59 PM
Alan Strout

I just got a message from Bill Haelig that former Orioles relief pitcher Jim Corsi passed away today at age 60 from cancer.

Corsi had a nice 10 year career with several teams, including the 1999 Orioles. He appeared in 13 games for the O's and posted an ERA of 2.70

Here's an Orioles Team Issued Photo of Jim Corsi

Corsi, Jim 1.jpg
Old 01-05-2022, 06:21 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Thanks Alan

I was out of town for a few days and when I got home late last night, I also found out that former Oriole infielder Tom Matchick unfortunately had passed away as well.

The Orioles were the last (of six) MLB club he played with in 1972 (only nine AB's); however Tom did play in the 1968 World Series with Detroit...

I always thought this was neat card because it showed so much of Memorial Stadium in the background (I had Tom sign this TTM sometime in the 90's):

Last edited by roarfrom34; 01-05-2022 at 06:53 AM.