NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2021, 01:02 PM
Mike P.ap

Default SGC is cranking on recent subs....WOW!!!!!!!

My hunch is that SGC has slowly been taking advantage of the crazy lag times with other TPGs.

I sent them 3 not so valuable vintage cards that they got on 3/1/21 and they are heading back! I paid $15 per card. (3 days turnaround!)

I submitted 8 (old labels with a range of values) and they logged them on 2/26/21. They are on their way back to me as of 3/4/21! (7 day turnaround)

I submitted 4 T206 cards (with 3 Hall of Famers) at the $15 per level and they logged them on 2/23/21 and they are now on the way back to me!! (9 day turnaround)

I send a lot to all companies based on which I feel is best for the card and this recent turnaround time with SGC is astounding!

Love it!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-04-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Robert Williams

I would like to use them. Unfortunately, the values for their cards just aren't there yet. Maybe in the future though.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:09 PM
Mike P.ap

Default I disagree......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I would like to use them. Unfortunately, the values for their cards just aren't there yet. Maybe in the future though.
For high end SGC cards across the board, they compete with PSA all day. I should know, I pay higher sometimes for SGC cards in similar grades. I compete with others that are figuring this out every day.

The secret is out Bobby. I do enjoy less competition however. lol

To each his own though! All good!

Peace,

Mike
Old 03-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
For high end SGC cards across the board, they compete with PSA all day. I should know, I pay higher sometimes for SGC cards in similar grades. I compete with others that are figuring this out every day.

The secret is out Bobby. I do enjoy less competition however. lol

To each his own though! All good!

Peace,

Mike
I feel the same way about the high end cards. Not every stupid card needs a PSA holder, though many of mine do. Fact is, I'm not giving my cards away just because they are in SGC holders. If they don't want the cards the way they sit, there is always another one around the corner or someone who appreciates the card, not just the holder. Frankly, if anal Eddies don't want my cards because of the "holder" they can go F themselves. You kids build your collection based on your "perceived values" and I'll just enjoy the cards. How's that?:
Old 03-04-2021, 07:40 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I feel the same way about the high end cards. Not every stupid card needs a PSA holder, though many of mine do. Fact is, I'm not giving my cards away just because they are in SGC holders. If they don't want the cards the way they sit, there is always another one around the corner or someone who appreciates the card, not just the holder. Frankly, if anal Eddies don't want my cards because of the "holder" they can go F themselves. You kids build your collection based on your "perceived values" and I'll just enjoy the cards. How's that?:
Chuck,

Good to get that off your chest? I think if that had been on netowrk TV you might have gotten "beeped" a couple times! lol

That made me laugh out loud! Very eloquent! lol, seriously , loved it! Thanks for that! I agree all around!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-04-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:47 PM

mine took about a month, subbed in late january, back in last week. pretty happy overall, good customer service response as well.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:58 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Not related....

Not related ...... kinda ..... lol

Paid for this little Gem on Monday Morn off Ebay. It was mailed 1st Class and I got it yesterday (Wednesday). My mail stream has had some good turnaround times lately!

IMG_0575.jpg
Old 03-04-2021, 01:10 PM
Dan Paradis

Default SGC Values

Quote:

I agree for post-war, but what about pre-war? I don't buy a lot of pre-war any more so I wouldn't know, but I thought their resale values held up vs. PSA with pre-war? If not, they are definitely in trouble!
Old 03-04-2021, 01:18 PM
Mike P.ap

Default SGC is fine.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I agree for post-war, but what about pre-war? I don't buy a lot of pre-war any more so I wouldn't know, but I thought their resale values held up vs. PSA with pre-war? If not, they are definitely in trouble!
Their re-sale values vs other TPGs are fine. There is a lot of misinformation out there. In realtion to the "trimming scandal" how many "trouble cards" do you see in SGC holders? Think about that.

I've been collecting since 1976, like a guy like Ted Z, I've seen plenty of cards that are not trimmed. I collect those very cards. Ones that come from original collections or ones that I opened in packs myself etc....

I've NEVER bought an SGC card that ended up on the "scandal boards" so to speak. Never bought another TPG either that has ended up on the boards.

We can argue prices all day but trust me, SGC is healthy pre-war. Newer cards I have no idea!

I hate to say this but it has served me quite well over the years...... "Buy the card.......not the holder". It really is that simple.

Experience and knowledge is healthy. SGC is a company that is not going away. Trust me on that!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-04-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:24 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Their re-sale values vs other TPGs are fine. There is a lot of misinformation out there. In realtion to the "trimming scandal" how many "trouble cards" do you see in SGC holders? Think about that.

I've been collecting since 1976, like a guy like Ted Z, I've seen plenty of cards that are not trimmed. I collect those very cards. Ones that come from original collections etc....

I've NEVER bought an SGC card that ended up on the "boards" so to speak. Never bought another TPG either that has ended up on the boards.

We can argue prices all day but trust me, SGC is healthy pre-war. Newer cards I have no idea!

I hate to say this but it has served me quite well over the years...... "Buy the card.......not the holder". It really is that simple.

Experience and knowledge is healthy. SGC is a company that is not going away. Trust me on that!

Peace, Mike

I have found that people are pretty territorial about their TPGs. If you have spent a bunch of money slabbing PSA, you swear by PSA. if you are up in Canada, you defend KSA to the death. I personally gave my allegiance to SGC, so i am biased there.

What I do know is that SGC grades consistently and an SGC 9 is equivalent to a PSA 9 in terms of card quality. that PSA is some miraculous grader with more stringent standards is a complete myth. if someone wants to pay more for the slab / registry, go for it.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 03-04-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:27 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wisdom....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
I have found that people are pretty territorial about their TPGs. If you have spent a bunch of money slabbing PSA, you swear by PSA. if you are up in Canada, you defend KSA to the death. I personally gave my allegiance to SGC, so i am biased there.

What I do know is that SGC grades consistently and an SGC 9 is equivalent to a PSA 9 in terms of card quality. that PSA is some miraculous grader with more stringent standards is a complete myth. if someone wants to pay more for the slab / registry, go for it.
There is wisdom in these words.....well said Wid. PS I was confused by your SGA allegiance! Until you corrected it! It appears others do type as fast as me with typos! lol

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-04-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:20 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
if you are up in Canada, you defend KSA to the death.
I mean, in an industry dedicated to precision and attention-to-detail, if you can't trust a company with a misspelling in their own motto/logo, who can you trust?

Last edited by Tabe; 03-04-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:43 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
That's the kind of thought that makes those of us you don't pay for opinions chuckle.

"Their" cards? Hahahahaa.

Doug "I buy cards, not slabs" Goodman
Old 03-04-2021, 03:36 PM
Jason Wells

That's good news thank you for sharing. Time to make a submission!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:59 PM
Richard L.

Are there collectors the defend KSA? Pardon my laughing as I come back to finish typing my comment!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
Are there collectors the defend KSA? Pardon my laughing as I come back to finish typing my comment!
Take off, you hoser!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

KSA is real? That's just nuttier than a Tim Horton's maple log.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 03-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Lol it’s true. I was looking for a Gretzky rookie and found my way to a few hockey groups. Some disparaging comments were made about KSA and a lot of collectors took it personally and came to their defense vigorously. They are number 1 in volume with OPC Gretzky rookies , and possibly all of hockey. I think they are under new ownership and apparently really stepped up the last few years
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 03-04-2021, 06:07 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Not going to defend them, but if you know the issue they can offer great value. Have bought 100+ and have had no issues. But the cards I'm looking for, I know what to look for. If you need the TPG to guide your decision then they are not a good call, lots of sheet cut, trimmed in KSA slabs but that is pretty common for the TPGs
Old 03-13-2021, 02:05 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
That's the kind of thought that makes those of us you don't pay for opinions chuckle.

"Their" cards? Hahahahaa.

Doug "I buy cards, not slabs" Goodman
And those of us who sell
Slabbed cards appreciate all
The meat you have left on the bone for us all these years. Sincerely thank you.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:54 PM
Tom Re.bert

Quote:
PSA doesn't even provide sub-grade--pretty well a joke if you want to know why your card graded a 8 versus a 9--really a poor grading system--but appears PSA has done a great job of brainwashing --

Last edited by Directly; 03-04-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:31 AM
DM Vock

SO you collect for value?

Quote:
Old 03-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Justin

Awesome news. As soon as prices went up on Monday for PSA I shipped a 7 lower end card order for my PC to SGC.

They logged it in as recieved yesterday before USPS marked it as delivered. So thats a good sign.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 08:42 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
My hunch is that SGC has slowly been taking advantage of the crazy lag times with other TPGs.

I sent them 3 not so valuable vintage cards that they got on 3/1/21 and they are heading back! I paid $15 per card. (3 days turnaround!)

I submitted 8 (old labels with a range of values) and they logged them on 2/26/21. They are on their way back to me as of 3/4/21! (7 day turnaround)

I submitted 4 T206 cards (with 3 Hall of Famers) at the $15 per level and they logged them on 2/23/21 and they are now on the way back to me!! (9 day turnaround)

I send a lot to all companies based on which I feel is best for the card and this recent turnaround time with SGC is astounding!

Love it!

Peace, Mike
How do you get $15 per card? Looks like $25 is their lowest price per card that I see on their website.

https://gosgc.com/card-grading/services-pricing
Old 03-05-2021, 08:46 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
How do you get $15 per card? Looks like $25 is their lowest price per card that I see on their website.

https://gosgc.com/card-grading/services-pricing
they just changed prices, literally last night.

Monster #236
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
LOL. I was impressed with Mike's turnaround and figured I would put together some cards for SGC. Nevermind.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:31 PM
Joe

PSA sells for more than any other grading company because it’s name is more
well known for the general public. SGC is a great
company and possibly one day their sales will match.
I don’t mind paying a little less for SGC and I don’t mind
my cards selling for a little less. But I don’t sell many
5 figure cards. That would make a huge difference IMO.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:31 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Wow, I'm glad I did my newest submission last night then.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:57 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

My latest submission was received by them March 3. I'm expecting they will stick to the 60 - 75 day turnaround I submitted them under. If they do better, I'll be thrilled. It's always best to be a pessimist. That way you're never disappointed! 🥴
Old 03-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
My latest submission was received by them March 3. I'm expecting they will stick to the 60 - 75 day turnaround I submitted them under. If they do better, I'll be thrilled. It's always best to be a pessimist. That way you're never disappointed! 🥴
You’ll have your cards in 2 weeks

Monster #236
Old 03-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

SGC should sell at a premium to PSA for prewar IMO. Honestly, I prefer BGS for modern as well but I really think BCGG or whatever their sister service is called ruined their reputation among newcomers to the hobby. PSA just did a good job of marketing and being the established player in the industry at the right time.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
SGC should sell at a premium to PSA for prewar IMO. Honestly, I prefer BGS for modern as well but I really think BCGG or whatever their sister service is called ruined their reputation among newcomers to the hobby. PSA just did a good job of marketing and being the established player in the industry at the right time.
Agree on all points.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Justin

Smart move on raising prices as disappointing as it is.

They finally got back to a reasonable turn around time and if they kept their prices that much lower would probably have been back logged 2 to 4 months very quickly.

This way hopefully they can keep turn around reasonable. Hopefully.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:

Love it!

Peace, Mike
I submitted a reholder of my T206 Evers portrait today. Totally intact slab but I want the new label with the big number. Arriving Friday in the mail (allegedly). I would never have even considered it save for hearing the good news in this thread.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:54 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Me too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post
I submitted a reholder of my T206 Evers portrait today. Totally intact slab but I want the new label with the big number. Arriving Friday in the mail (allegedly). I would never have even considered it save for hearing the good news in this thread.
I'm sending some more for reholder soon, I'll post my results at that time!

Mike
Old 03-08-2021, 09:00 PM
Eric Cheng

USPS delivered today (reholder/$15 sub) around 2x card
site hasn't updated with received yet, will see how long it takes
Old 03-09-2021, 12:45 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Same here, I wonder if they saw a big inflow of subs once word got out before the price increase.

Edit: My order just got logged. It has an expected ship out date of 3/30/21 too which is nice so I have an idea of when to expect my cards back.

Last edited by TobaccoKing4; 03-09-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:12 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Just updated with received status today, suppose to be yesterday, but it's my fault. There's discrepencies between what submit and what i mailed. I find out right away i finish the submit, PSA can correct it on their website but SGC doesn't. So I did get a human call from SGC. and they took care of it right away, ETA ship back 3/31
Old 03-18-2021, 08:59 AM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Just updated with received status today, suppose to be yesterday, but it's my fault. There's discrepencies between what submit and what i mailed. I find out right away i finish the submit, PSA can correct it on their website but SGC doesn't. So I did get a human call from SGC. and they took care of it right away, ETA ship back 3/31
updated: just saw post grading status already, received on march 9, that is fast
Old 03-09-2021, 02:17 PM
Justin

My 7 card order ($15 per card) submitted on March 3rd just hit post grading status today.

Very impressed so far. The order had several sizes and types of cards (t201, t206, 33 Goudey, 36 National Chicle, 48 Leaf, and 1 modern card) hopefully post grading isn't too bad.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:10 PM
Robert Williams

The $25 per card will make the process go even smoother.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The $25 per card will make the process go even smoother.
any idea when the prices jumped to $25? i submitted an order and the prices were quoted to me at $15 (and $10 for a new case). got my cards back and they charged me $25 for every item.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:20 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
any idea when the prices jumped to $25? i submitted an order and the prices were quoted to me at $15 (and $10 for a new case). got my cards back and they charged me $25 for every item.
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the charge is on the invoice but haven't seen it on my PP/credit card yet. i have the original submission invoice that lists it as $15/$10, so we'll see how they choose to handle it. either way, done with SGC at $25 each.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
I think March 5th, I think you should be able to talk to them to honor back the price when you submit
The one i submitted on march 4th, i ask them to correct and on website it shows the new price, but i paid with paypal not credit card. will see what they say, but they should be honoring the old price since we submitted before the price hike

Last edited by dio; 03-10-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I think March 5th
thanks. my order showed up on march 1st, was entered a week before that with the previous pricing. that's ballsy of them, but we'll see what the actual charge ends up being on my account.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:19 PM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default Order Lost?

My 72 card order entered on Dec 15th and charged to my card was delivered to them on January 7th. It is in the system as submitted and not even received! Jeff W
Old 03-09-2021, 03:33 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATCARD View Post
My 72 card order entered on Dec 15th and charged to my card was delivered to them on January 7th. It is in the system as submitted and not even received! Jeff W
Jeff, SGC puts the submission in the system as soon as you make payment. If it has been 'delivered' per USPS but they have not registered it as received, you probably want to take action with the post office. this is exactly the reason I have private insurance.

I also have a submission they received this week. The ETA they gave me is March 30, and frankly I expect it earlier.

Monster #236
Old 03-10-2021, 10:58 AM
Mike P.ap

Default yay!

Logged on Feb 24th, regular service.......anyone wanna see them? Total time including shipping on both ends and weekends.... 14 days! Wow!

Mike

IMG_0667.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 03-10-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Dave

Yeah, let's see some pictures.

Weird. I don't think I would have cared 12 months ago.