NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-12-2024, 10:15 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default seeking opinions on Campanella ball and Clemente

I purchased the Campanella ball here on BST. I have no questions about the seller's honesty/integrity, but am curious what others may think of this ball. Signed on an old MacGregor little league ball.
Roy Campanella signed ball.jpg

... and while I'm at it, curious what folks think about the Clemente. I picked this one up a few year ago raw. Rolled the dice on what I'm hoping is just a sloppy sig.
1956 Topps Roberto Clemente signed raw flash close.jpg
1956 Topps Roberto Clemente signed raw close.jpg
Old 01-12-2024, 11:22 PM
Mike P.ap

Default .........

I'm no expert but in my opinion I think the Clemente has a better shot than the Campy at being legit. Just my 2 cents.

Mike
Old 01-13-2024, 05:48 AM

That Campy is trying to emulate a post-accident example?! Hard pass. Hilariously, it appears that whoever signed it was trying to do a strange dance between pre- and post-accident versions.

Campy was incapable of signing the continuously round surface of baseballs after the accident. The only post-accident Campy balls you will want to own are Rawlings ONL Bill White with the Rawlings logo improperly stamped above the sweet spot. These were custom made for Campy to sign across the sweet spot as flat figure 8 pieces of leather which were later stitched up to complete the ball. The vast majority of these aren't pretty, and uneven toning over the years has certainly further destroyed a lot of their aesthetic, but this is what to purchase if you don't want to drop thousands on a pre-accident example.

That is one of the absolute messiest Clementes I have ever seen! It may in fact take the cake for the sloppiest. Do not be surprised if any TPA decides to go inconclusive on it, but it's good. Heck, they might even pass it, but they'd be wise to not dismiss it altogether.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-13-2024 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:05 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ......

Well said on both accounts.

That Clemente like I said has a good chance. It looks like an early sig and a kid with a card and a ballpoint is not going to get the cleanest sig if he met Roberto at the park or wherever.

I really like the Clemente if you ever decide to move it.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2024, 02:15 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Is Campyfan accepting a return on the ball?
Old 01-13-2024, 02:20 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

I don't like either one.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:19 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
Well said on both accounts.

That Clemente like I said has a good chance. It looks like an early sig and a kid with a card and a ballpoint is not going to get the cleanest sig if he met Roberto at the park or wherever.

I really like the Clemente if you ever decide to move it.

Thanks!
Thanks for the opinions so far. Your mentioned scenario was my precise hope on the Clemente. Kid with card and pen at the ballpark, and he’s trying to sign it in hand, and basically whiffed on most of his opening R. The tail end of the sig looks like many of the examples I see out there. I may get it graded someday, then would consider moving it.

Re- Campy, I hadn’t imagined it as a post accident sig, as those were really choppy. I figured/hoped it was also maybe a rush job at the ballpark. Campyfan and I had a pre-sale agreement if it doesn’t pass TPG. I felt good dealing with him, and I decided to roll the dice a bit. So far seems opinions on it are all negative though.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:44 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Zero chance the Campy is pre accident.

Good luck on the Clemente but I have serious doubts it could be authenticated by a third party.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:08 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Zero chance the Campy is pre accident.

Good luck on the Clemente but I have serious doubts it could be authenticated by a third party.
Thanks for the input. I'm not at all versed in the process and don't have a clear idea as to what will or won't pass and why. I've only submitted 2x items to TPA, one a Duke Snider rookie, which passed and one a very authentic in-person Waukesha Sport Cards' Hank Aaron rookie, which did not. The latter was frustrating and turned me off to the process. I have a lot of cards signed in person during childhood, which I'll never consider having authenticated. However on one like the Clemente, I feel like it's a must if I eventually sell.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:19 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm not at all versed in the process and don't have a clear idea as to what will or won't pass and why. I've only submitted 2x items to TPA, one a Duke Snider rookie, which passed and one a very authentic in-person Waukesha Sport Cards' Hank Aaron rookie, which did not. The latter was frustrating and turned me off to the process. I have a lot of cards signed in person during childhood, which I'll never consider having authenticated. However on one like the Clemente, I feel like it's a must if I eventually sell.
Eventually, they'll all be sold...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2024, 07:14 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Eventually, they'll all be sold...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Or none will. At least in my lifetime. May grade and sell Clemente only because it's a dupe.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:17 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Why don’t you post the in person Aaron that was rejected on here for us to see?
Old 01-13-2024, 07:28 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Why don’t you post the in person Aaron that was rejected on here for us to see?
This was from a while back, maybe 2015 or 16. It's part of my collection, so doesn't matter much whether authenticated. I could've paid for JSA to authenticate on site, but I didn't want their sticker on the back.

ADDING- when I pushed back on PSA and showed them the Waukesha receipts, etc, they gave me a voucher to have the card re-assessed. At the time, I think it only cost $29. I never used it though.

1954 Topps Hank Aaron signed Waukeshau.jpg

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-13-2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Mike P.ap

Default .......

Quote:
This was from a while back, maybe 2015 or 16. It's part of my collection, so doesn't matter much whether authenticated. I could've paid for JSA to authenticate on site, but I didn't want their sticker on the back.

ADDING- when I pushed back on PSA and showed them the Waukesha receipts, etc, they gave me a voucher to have the card re-assessed. At the time, I think it only cost $29. I never used it though.

Attachment 605338
That is a very nice card. Let me know if you ever sell the Clemente! Or the Aaron for that matter. Thanks!

Last edited by vthobby; 01-13-2024 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:28 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Thanks much Mike, I will do for sure.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:26 AM

It's certainly unusual in that Aaron apparently put some sort of straightedge paper underneath where he signed his first name, adding the underhanging flourish to the H afterward. There's no denying it's his autograph, however.

I'm racking my brain to recall if I've seen him employ this method in the past because I feel I have. I also have a memory of seeing a photo of Mr. Aaron using this approach. It wasn't something he did with any sort of frequency. Maybe he was having health or vision struggles that day and was just making sure he didn't do a poor job. Robb at Waukesha is great at communicating; drop him a line about this!

I did go back to find some photos from 2015-16 signings and am not finding any corroborating evidence.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-14-2024 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:24 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:

Attachment 605338
Very nice card.

The autograph looks OK to me but the "H" is definitely strange with the tail when forming the "H". I have never seen one like that.

You mentioned you did not want a JSA sticker on the card. I don't blame you for that but you can get a pictured certificate for a little more money and they will put the sticker on the LOA if you specify that when you submit the card.

Getting it authenticated makes sense for value purposes whether you ever sell it or not. It will protect your heirs if they decide to sell it some day.

I think it will pass.

Beckett is another option if you want it encapsulated since JSA does not do that.

The authentication fee for Aaron is reasonable.

Thanks for showing the autograph in question.

Last edited by rand1com; 01-14-2024 at 06:26 AM. Reason: content
Old 01-14-2024, 08:58 AM

If I'm wrong about the straightedge, a question I'd have is: did you place a Post-It on the front of the card in the area under where he signed his first name? Lots of people do this when sending into signings to indicate where they want the card signed. If so, was it slightly askew as his autograph is? Could be a case of them not taking the confounded Post-It off before he started signing. I've certainly seen this happen time and again, if not worse: the player actually signs partially on the Post-It! It would definitely make sense if that's what you did, as we know that Aaron favored signing the RC below his image as opposed to where yours was signed.

Note to EVERYBODY: When sending in to signings, unless the promoter is very specific about adding a Post-It to the front, it would be wise to reconsider doing so. I know I've had issues as a result, as has practically everyone else I know at one time or another. Safer to figure out another method, such as sending a printout of your items with mock "signature/inscription(s)" in the area you want your piece(s) signed, and with whatever color ink/marker you want used. Some promoters don't want the supposed "headache" of toting around the extra paperwork. To them, I say, it's your job. Deal with it.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-14-2024 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:59 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Maybe they forgot to have him sign it? Looks slowly drawn, that H is horrendous

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-14-2024, 02:41 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Very nice card.

The autograph looks OK to me but the "H" is definitely strange with the tail when forming the "H". I have never seen one like that.

You mentioned you did not want a JSA sticker on the card. I don't blame you for that but you can get a pictured certificate for a little more money and they will put the sticker on the LOA if you specify that when you submit the card.

Getting it authenticated makes sense for value purposes whether you ever sell it or not. It will protect your heirs if they decide to sell it some day.

I think it will pass.

Beckett is another option if you want it encapsulated since JSA does not do that.

The authentication fee for Aaron is reasonable.

Thanks for showing the autograph in question.
This was an option but at the time I didn’t want to pay the extra, whatever $$ JSA was asking for the full LOA service. Again, this was a several years ago, costs on everything were far lower, thus an extra $50 (or whatever) seemed like a lot. I remember feeling super proud to get the card + auto for a few hundred less than they were selling for the time. Funny now, given 2 figures seems like a dime relative to anything today.

The main reason I then tried to have PSA holder it was A) they were grading at a show I attended, and B) I wanted the joint card grade + authentication service. I thought those looked slick and remember there also being a loophole where getting the card graded/sig authenticated were only as much as grading only would’ve been (or something like that). The card itself had been an under-graded SGC40 (at least by last decade’s standards), and I thought it would be nice to have a 4 or 5 signed and holdered.

Anyway, I appreciate the comments about the Aaron, though it was not in question and I have no plans for it. I know it’s genuine and happily lives in a top loader. I only brought it up as an example of a long past issue I’d had with the TPA process.