NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2020, 08:13 PM
Pete Sycks

Default Goldin Auctions Down?

Is it down for anyone else? won't work on my computer or phone

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 05-16-2020, 08:15 PM
Rob

I can't access the site.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Bob Davies

It's slow as hell. I wonder if their site is overloaded with too many folks trying to access it. Not enough bandwidth.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:28 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I can't get anything to load. Very unfortunate but I am sure they will make it right. I have had nothing but great experiences in working with them.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:35 PM
Bob Davies

I just posted a max bid and it worked. We will see if it holds.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:45 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Sort of seems like more often than not there days an auction has to be extended because of some technical problem. Very peculiar, as last time I checked these folks aren’t selling toilet paper or Lysol wipes.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:46 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Site has been down. Up now and they are supposed to be extending time to bid, but many people reporting trouble bidding on items they did not bid on. They are working on an approach.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:01 PM
DR
David R@tliff

extended until tomorrow - sound familiar?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:02 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Yay, 20 more hours of extended bidding.

Guess I won't get anything. Damn

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-16-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Default Goldin

We apologize for any inconveniences but we had issues with our servers. We are working on rectifying these issues. Thank you
Old 05-16-2020, 09:05 PM
Rob

I was able to get in and bid, but very slow. See y'all tomorrow. Rob
Old 05-16-2020, 09:10 PM
Bob Davies

Sad way to run things...
Old 05-16-2020, 09:15 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I just got an email from them:

The server has been reset and bids are coming in. However, it is slow and some people have just been shut out

Out of fairness to everyone who has tried to get bids in, we are going to close tomorrow, Sunday, May 17th at 6:00pm Eastern

Extended bidding will begin Sunday at 6:00pm and we will go lot by lot close with the 30-minute rule at that time

We appreciate your bearing with us during this unprecedented response and traffic in our auction.

We were assured by our software provider they would be able to handle the unprecedented traffic we expected from this highly publicized auction, but the response overwhelmed them.

We suggest you use the extra time between now and 6:00pm Sunday to get in all your bids and use max bids if needed to protect your bids in case of system slowness as we approach extended bidding.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and are doing this our of fairness to all bidders and consignors so everyone has an equal chance.

Thank you!
Old 05-16-2020, 09:26 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
We apologize for any inconveniences but we had issues with our servers. We are working on rectifying these issues. Thank you
why does something similar to the problems tonight keep on happening? Groundhog Day.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:40 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

When this same failure happened with Heritage just a month ago (https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=281704), I suggested it was a platform failure and not malice, as at least one person strongly suggested. That didn't go over so well.

Tonight, different auction house and a different auction platform (the one that sent out passwords in clear text), same meltdown. I really don't think these auction houses are engaged in fraud that would be just stupidly obvious. No, they're just using inadequate platforms that can't handle traffic and transactions.

These guys make an awful lot of money with their 20% buyer penalties premiums. Maybe they can spend some of it on their technology.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:52 PM
Fred

I believe that the auction has been extended and initial bids will be taken until 6P EST on Sunday, 17MAY20. I guess the auction server crashed. Watcha gonna do? They have to do the right thing for the consignors so it is what it is.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Server Crash Simple Auction Site

Hello All
This is a highly publicized auction, and not only has a tremendous selection of vintage material, but also key basketball material that has taken the media by storm as it features Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.
I stayed in touch with Simple Auctions on almost a daily basis before and during the auction, to ensure they knew what to expect and could handle the traffic. i was assured on a daily basis that there would be no issues. As we hit 9pm i noticed a slowness in the system and contacted them. it got progressively worse and was told basically 'it is too much traffic for us to handle' You cannot imagine how frustrating it is to spend 9 years building a business to a level where our auction is scrolling on the bottom of ESPN during the pre NFL draft show, and then my provider cannot handle the traffic my publicity brings to the site.
you can rest assured i will be dealing with this in the future.
in the meantime, since we had not yet gone to extended business, the fairest thing to do was not to drive people crazy for several hours trying to get bids in and getting frustrated, but to let everyone get to sleep, and do extended bidding at a reasonable time during the day, so everyone could get a qualifying bid in the items they wanted. as a result, we are open for bidding until 6pm sunday at which time we go into extended bidding with the 30 minute rule , lot by lot.
Whether we limit the number of lots in the future, close on multiple nights, or find a provider who is able to handle our traffic, this will not happen again and we are sorry for the inconvenience. we are open for bidding
thank you
Goldin Auctions
Old 05-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Totally better tonight.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:18 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Not working for me ����
Old 05-17-2020, 04:18 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Down again...fun
Old 05-17-2020, 04:21 PM
DR
David R@tliff

it's deja vu all over again
Old 05-17-2020, 04:23 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
Totally better tonight.
he says in sarcasm font, or spoke too soon?
Old 05-17-2020, 04:27 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

On top of page its says auction closed 01/01/0001
Old 05-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Let's hope for no BP and free shipping!!!
Old 05-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Daryl

Default Goldin

I have been trying to get in since 6:05 EST this is not good.

Daryl Fraley
Old 05-17-2020, 04:32 PM
Jason S!m@nds

It'll be interesting to see if Goldin stays with SimpleAuctionSite.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:34 PM
Fred

Watcha biddin on Daryl? Hope it isn't what I'm bidding on....

Last edited by Fred; 05-17-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:35 PM
Pete Sycks

not working here

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 05-17-2020, 04:35 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if Goldin stays with SimpleAuctionSite.
Only if they want to lose clients. SimpleAuctoinSite personnel told Goldin not to worry, it's all good, it'll handle the traffic.... what's that saying... screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice....
Old 05-17-2020, 04:38 PM
Fred

It looks like they closed the entire auction. All the "End Date" fields indicate "Lot Ended". All good, it's probably the prudent thing to do at this time.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:39 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Whether legit or not (I'm giving benefit of the doubt that it's legit), these outages and subsequent extensions to the auction seem pretty certain to inflate eventual sales prices.

Last night I bid an item thinking it was in extended bidding, based on the email I'd received just prior stating the extended period would start at 11pm sharp. As the site was slow and intermittently down, I figured I needed to hustle to get my bid through while the site would accept it before the lot by lot closing. Shortly afterward I saw the email saying the new closing time would be Sunday. In that time frame however I was outbid, and then I saw it had been bid up another 5 increments during the night. I'm guessing this may have been done by folks who also thought it was in extended bidding and needed to get bids in.

Guessing several other lots saw similar bidding activity last night and then repeated again today, just before or after 3pm for people who could get through.

ADDING: howling maybe not as much of an increase, since it seems some, including myself were not able to get in at all during today’s extended bidding

Last edited by itjclarke; 05-17-2020 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Or not
Old 05-17-2020, 04:42 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Nvm not worth it

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-17-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:50 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Lets hope for no sellers premium too
Old 05-17-2020, 04:52 PM
Fred

Brent,

Not sure what else Goldin can do. They have server issues. Goldin sent out an email (and I'm sure it was a tough pill to swallow) that the auction site operators couldn't handle the traffic and that bidding would continue through the next day (Sunday, 17MAY20). In my mind that gave EVERYBODY a chance to put in bids and that the possibility of the site crashing again (like it did on 16MAY20) was there. The servers were pretty good until extended bidding started, an then the issue from 16MAY20 (should have anticipated that) occurred.

If Goldin says "hey, we're going to do it again for 18MAY20", then people's thoughts that they're doing it to get more money (I personally don't believe that) may hurt their business and then what, less bidders for the next auction.

I wonder if the contract Goldin with SimpleAuctions" has any damage clauses. If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see Goldin go after it.

Really not sure what else the Goldin guys can do at this point. Someone mention lower BPs. That would be nice but they'll have to figure out what's best in maintaining a good business relationship with their bidders.

Bent, I see you edited your post... I guess I'll have to edit mine so that people don't get confused with the reply.

Last edited by Fred; 05-17-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:56 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Brent,

Not sure what else Goldin can do. They have server issues. Goldin sent out an email (and I'm sure it was a tough pill to swallow) that the auction site operators couldn't handle the traffic and that bidding would continue through the next day (Sunday, 17MAY20). In my mind that gave EVERYBODY a chance to put in bids and that the possibility of the site crashing again (like it did on 16MAY20) was there. The servers were pretty good until extended bidding started, an then the issue from 16MAY20 (should have anticipated that) occurred.

If Goldin says "hey, we're going to do it again for 18MAY20", then people's thoughts that they're doing it to get more money (I personally don't believe that) may hurt their business and then what, less bidders for the next auction.

I wonder if the contract Goldin with SimpleAuctions" has any damage clauses. If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see Goldin go after it.

Really not sure what else the Goldin guys can do at this point. Someone mention lower BPs. That would be nice but they'll have to figure out what's best in maintaining a good business relationship with their bidders.

Bent, I see you edited your post... I guess I'll have to edit mine so that people don't get confused with the reply.

I feel like this post is more than for me, as I said, I like Goldin and I have said they will make it right (and they will). It just truly is a very unfortunate situation. That's all. I will still do business with them, no doubt about it.

edit: I did edit my post immediately after I posted it, sarcasm on texts may not have been ideal on my end lol

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-17-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
he says in sarcasm font, or spoke too soon?
Was definitely sarcasm.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Fred

Quote:
I feel like this post is more than for me, as I said, I like Goldin and I have said they will make it right (and they will). It just truly is a very unfortunate situation. That's all. I will still do business with them, no doubt about it.

edit: I did edit my post immediately after I posted it, sarcasm on texts may not have been ideal on my end lol
Uh, a little sarcasm at this time is understood...!
Old 05-17-2020, 05:02 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
I'd put odds of no BP squarely less than 1%, but I would certainly be pleased to see that.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
I'd put odds of no BP squarely less than 1%, but I would certainly be pleased to see that.

I don't expect them to do that, just wanted to say it (just incase) lol. I am in the company it was out of their control and an unfortunate situation that happened.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-17-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Fred

HOLD ALL TICKETS!!! Now there's a message indicating LOT PAUSED. Maybe there's hope for those that want to continue bidding! Personally, I think they'd have been better off just closing it because this is just a train wreck now. What happens if/when the same thing occurs again (if they re-open for bidding)...
Old 05-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Uh, a little sarcasm at this time is understood...!

Hahaha! I appreciate it, my friend.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:11 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
HOLD ALL TICKETS!!! Now there's a message indicating LOT PAUSED. Maybe there's hope for those that want to continue bidding! Personally, I think they'd have been better off just closing it because this is just a train wreck now. What happens if/when the same thing occurs again (if they re-open for bidding)...

Old 05-17-2020, 05:19 PM
Scott Russell

Can't speak to specifics of this auction or provider, but it's almost an epidemic in the online auction industry, not even remotely limited to sports. I left my first provider because they crashed with an hour to go, and even though I extended an hour I had complaints from every angle. Why did I extend, why didn't I extend more etc. I think part of the problem is that Cloudflare, who almost every provider uses, can't seem to tell the difference between a DDOS attack and the uptick in business an auction always sees at the end. It's one of the few advantages to being smaller, my auctions don't tilt the game, so to speak.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-17-2020, 05:20 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Paused til tomorrow
Old 05-17-2020, 05:24 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Paused til tomorrow
at least until tomorrow...
Old 05-17-2020, 05:27 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Can't speak to specifics of this auction or provider, but it's almost an epidemic in the online auction industry, not even remotely limited to sports. I left my first provider because they crashed with an hour to go, and even though I extended an hour I had complaints from every angle. Why did I extend, why didn't I extend more etc. I think part of the problem is that Cloudflare, who almost every provider uses, can't seem to tell the difference between a DDOS attack and the uptick in business an auction always sees at the end. It's one of the few advantages to being smaller, my auctions don't tilt the game, so to speak.
That's a pretty informative post - thanks!

Well, we can ONLY hope that WHEN they re-open, the auction service provider has their collective shit together and won't allow this to turn into a bigger mess than it has become.

Last edited by Fred; 05-17-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:28 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
at least until tomorrow...

Shoot, you are correct
Old 05-17-2020, 05:38 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Can you say Bullshit??
Old 05-17-2020, 05:42 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Per Goldin E-mail:

Will keep this message short and more details to follow.

The auction has been paused in extended bidding. It will NOT close tonight as the problem cannot be fixed tonight.

It will remain paused until we speak to the sever company in the morning and get a timetable to switch onto cloud servers.

As soon as we have this information we will give everyone ample notice of when extending bidding will begin, we hope it is within the next couple of days or sooner.

When the auction resumes, it will be in extended bidding with 25 minutes left on the clock. You will receive at least 24 hours notice prior to bid commencement

Extended bidding rules will be in effect.

We are sorry for this horrible inconvenience however for the sake of all of our bidders and consignors we cannot allow an auction to close when users cannot use the system.

Please note we will never be using a server based auction again so this will be impossible to occur in future auctions

Last edited by tazdmb; 05-17-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:00 PM

Default Auction Paused due to Hardware overload and Failure- Details and Resolution

This email is going out from to all those who bid or consigned in the auction.

Hello to everyone who placed a bid or consigned in our spring auction.

The auction has been paused during extended bidding. Due to an unprecedented number of bidders the server failed. The auction will NOT close tonight as the problem cannot be fixed tonight. As such, you will be not be able to bid tonight. Do not worry, you are not locked out and it is not your system.

The auction will remain paused until we speak to the server company in the morning and get a timetable to switch onto a server system that can handle the volume we generate.

As you know we encountered the problem last night and were hopeful we would be able to resume the auction today, but obviously we were not able to do so and sincerely apologize.
As soon as we have this information, we will give everyone ample notice of when extending bidding will begin. We are hopeful that this will occur within the next couple of days.
When the auction resumes, it will be in extended bidding with 25 minutes left on the clock. You will receive at least 24 hours’ notice prior to bidding commencement and extended bidding rules will still be in effect.

I have been a collector and card/memorabilia dealer for 40+ years. I know how serious we all take our collections and how passionate we all are about these auctions. At Goldin, like you, we believe our auction are ‘events’ more than they are simply auctions.

We are again sorry for this horrible inconvenience however for the sake of all our bidders and consignors we cannot allow an auction to close when users cannot use the system. The system became unusable at approximately 6pm EST. at which point I received many panicked emails, calls and texts from bidders who were worried about losing out on their key item because the system would not take their bids.

This “pause”, and fix is the only way to keep the integrity of the auction.

My commitment to you is that this server failure will never happen again in a future auction as we will we be migrating to a different cloud server system with unlimited user capacity.

Please note that ALL ORDERS FOR THIS AUCTION WILL SHIP FREE OF CHARGE AND THE COSTS ABSORBED BY US. Applicable insurance cost will still apply.

We have built this company from a startup in 2012 to an industry leader i today, and this is a tough growing pain for all of us at Goldin Auctions. I assure you again this will be dealt with and we will be better for it as user experience at Goldin is paramount to us.
We will provide an update as soon as possible by email- stay tuned.
Thank you for your efforts, understanding and consideration, it means the world to us
Very truly yours
The Goldin Auctions Team

Ken Goldin
Chief Executive Officer
Goldin Auctions
160 E. 9th Avenue Suite A
Runnemede, NJ 08078
856-767-8550