NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2022, 02:35 PM
Ray VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
First of all, I am a Yankee hater. I don’t care how many hrs Judge hits. For me it is Maris as the true hr king. When Maris had his fabulous year, people forget that he was in a battle with Mantle. Everyone was against him, the fans and the press. Talk about pressure. No one wanted him to beat Ruth and if some one had to do it was Mantle. I think that in that last game, only several thousand people were in attendance. I could be wrong but it wasn’t a sell out. After his feat, he began to lose his hair because of the aniexty and pressure. Fast forward to today. There was no pressure on Judge. He’d had the fans and media bootlicking his every move.. this is my opinion. Having lived through that epic battle in 1961, hats off to Maris. PS. I didn’t want either of them to break the record. I had always hoped that Killebrew would do it.
First of all, I hate Yankee haters. I do care how many Judge hits and I was happy to see him break the record (I was at the Blue Jays game where he tied the record). Not sure how you can say Maris is still the true HR king - last I checked Maris hit 61 in 163 games - a great season and something that stood for 61 years. But it's time we stop yelling at traffic lights and move on.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I agree with the Yankee hating. It’s a valid position that keeps me going, simply because there are far too many Yankee fans out there, and they’ve achieved way more success than anyone else in the game. I’ll admit to being jealous when they succeed, coupled with a solid dose of schadenfreude whenever they struggle. They’re due for a nice 100-year drought, although I won’t live long enough to see it.

I don’t understand the notion that Maris is still the king. That just seems silly all around. Any way you slice it, Maris is no longer on top. He was the man for a long time, but his reign is officially over, whether since 1998 or 2022, take your pick. And if you want to argue that Maris was never the man because it took more than 154 games to top 60, then there’s that angle as well.

I do think there’s room to debate how big of a deal it is for Judge to hit 62, particularly since he didn’t get to 61 before game 155. For me, I’m not seeing the attraction to making it a big deal. It’s a nice deal, and I certainly appreciate his accomplishments, but that’s about it. But if it gets your heart beating fast and gives you a jolt of endorphins, then who am I to tell you that you’re silly for getting excessively worked up about something that doesn’t seem that important to me, particularly since I’m sure that many of the sporting accomplishments that get me excited are probably largely ignored by most everyone else.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-08-2022, 03:19 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Van View Post
First of all, I hate Yankee haters. I do care how many Judge hits and I was happy to see him break the record (I was at the Blue Jays game where he tied the record). Not sure how you can say Maris is still the true HR king - last I checked Maris hit 61 in 163 games - a great season and something that stood for 61 years. But it's time we stop yelling at traffic lights and move on.
Read again. It’s all about pressure. PS. I hate Yankee fans who hate Yankee haters.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Van View Post
+62

Right on!! -- Brian Powell
Old 10-08-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I agree with the Yankee hating. ItÂ’s a valid position that keeps me going, simply because there are far too many Yankee fans out there, and theyÂ’ve achieved way more success than anyone else in the game. IÂ’ll admit to being jealous when they succeed, coupled with a solid dose of schadenfreude whenever they struggle. TheyÂ’re due for a nice 100-year drought, although I wonÂ’t live long enough to see it.

I donÂ’t understand the notion that Maris is still the king. That just seems silly all around. Any way you slice it, Maris is no longer on top. He was the man for a long time, but his reign is officially over, whether since 1998 or 2022, take your pick. And if you want to argue that Maris was never the man because it took more than 154 games to top 60, then thereÂ’s that angle as well.

I do think thereÂ’s room to debate how big of a deal it is for Judge to hit 62, particularly since he didnÂ’t get to 61 before game 155. For me, IÂ’m not seeing the attraction to making it a big deal. ItÂ’s a nice deal, and I certainly appreciate his accomplishments, but thatÂ’s about it. But if it gets your heart beating fast and gives you a jolt of endorphins, then who am I to tell you that youÂ’re silly for getting excessively worked up about something that doesnÂ’t seem that important to me, particularly since IÂ’m sure that many of the sporting accomplishments that get me excited are probably largely ignored by most everyone else.
I for one am sure not ignoring it! SIXTY-TWO HOME RUNS is freaking awesome! Aaron Judge is clean as a whistle, a very nice guy, very close to his parents, and a lot of etcetras. Come on, he broke THE major league record that had stood for 61 years.

I know all the guys that have yelped til they're hoarse that Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa hit more, and Bonds has the official MLB record, and so on, ad nauseum.

But they cheated. They took PEDS til they exploded in size and strength. Their numbers exploded, and many collectors are still all "ga-ga" over those numbers. Maybe MLB says those contemptible characters have the legitimate records, but the people who vote to enshrine the right people in the Baseball Hall of Fame have for years steadfastly refused to put those cheaters in.

One of them, Mark McGwire, finally confessed that he had juiced up with PEDS.

It's a shame this board is mired with so many skeptics and cynics towards the achievements of Aaron Judge. There's even debate over whether Ohtani or Judge should win the AL MVP. Aaron Judge should be the unanimous choice as AL MVP. I take the term valuable as valuable, not best player. Aaron wasn't the only Yankee that contributed to their 99 wins, but I say without Judge they would have crumbled in mediocrity. That's just my opinion, sure; regardless, I know I'm right probably just as much as Judge's naysayers or poison pens think they're actually right. So I say, and I'll say a thousand times----WHAT AARON JUDGE DID MOST ASSUREDLY IS A BIG DEAL!

HOO-RAY FOR AARON JUDGE. HE BEAT THE ODDS. HE BUSTED ROGER MARIS'S 61-EAR-OLD RECORD!!!!!

--- Brian Powell
Old 10-08-2022, 06:05 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I for one am sure not ignoring it! SIXTY-TWO HOME RUNS is freaking awesome! Aaron Judge is clean as a whistle, a very nice guy, very close to his parents, and a lot of etcetras. Come on, he broke THE major league record that had stood for 61 years.

I know all the guys that have yelped til they're hoarse that Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa hit more, and Bonds has the official MLB record, and so on, ad nauseum.

But they cheated. They took PEDS til they exploded in size and strength. Their numbers exploded, and many collectors are still all "ga-ga" over those numbers. Maybe MLB says those contemptible characters have the legitimate records, but the people who vote to enshrine the right people in the Baseball Hall of Fame have for years steadfastly refused to put those cheaters in.

It's a shame this board is mired with so many skeptics and cynics towards the achievements of Aaron Judge. There's even debate over whether Ohtani or Judge should win the AL MVP. Aaron Judge should be the unanimous choice as AL MVP. I take the term valuable as valuable, not best player. Aaron wasn't the only Yankee that contributed to their 99 wins, but I say without Judge they would have crumbled in mediocrity. That's just my opinion, sure; regardless, I know I'm right probably just as much as Judge's naysayers or poison pens think they're actually right. So I say, and I'll say a thousand times----WHAT AARON JUDGE DID MOST ASSUREDLY IS A BIG DEAL!

HOO-RAY FOR AARON JUDGE. HE BEAT THE ODDS. HE BUSTED ROGER MARIS'S 61-EAR-OLD RECORD!!!!!

--- Brian Powell
CORRECTION: Broke the A.L. record.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:55 PM
Doug Doremus

Default History Lesson

Just for the record, Maris hit his 59th in game 154.
And he hit another ball to the warning track and another one foul as I recall (I just googled it to be sure).
There was enormous pressure on him, and it was a valiant effort.
I remember commemorating it on the top of a page in my high school history text as I was doing my homework.

Last edited by dougscats; 10-08-2022 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:58 PM

You're correct, Shoeless Moe. Aaron Judge broke the A.L. home run record. I sit corrected, though I must say it is as some argued that Mr. Maris still held the MLB record of 61, while the others juiced their way past The Rajah. I'm sure the PEDS argument will never go away. Whether or not the BWAA will let down their guard and vote in Bonds, Sosa, or McGwire to the BBHOF remains to be seen, but I seriously doubt they will. So much for their sky-high record numbers. Have a swell weekend, bro. -- Brian Powell
Old 10-08-2022, 07:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
So I say, and I'll say a thousand times----WHAT AARON JUDGE DID MOST ASSUREDLY IS A BIG DEAL!

--- Brian Powell
Just out of curiosity, if he hits 63 for the Mets next year, will you celebrate even more?

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-08-2022, 07:05 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
You're correct, Shoeless Moe. Aaron Judge broke the A.L. home run record. I sit corrected, though I must say it is as some argued that Mr. Maris still held the MLB record of 61, while the others juiced their way past The Rajah. I'm sure the PEDS argument will never go away. Whether or not the BWAA will let down their guard and vote in Bonds, Sosa, or McGwire to the BBHOF remains to be seen, but I seriously doubt they will. So much for their sky-high record numbers. Have a swell weekend, bro. -- Brian Powell
Hey when you speak of the hitters don't forget there were plenty of pitchers using them as well Clemens, Petitte, etc.

So it was Roids vs Roids........a wash.

73 is the one and only single season HR record.

Congrats to Mr Judge on breaking the AL record.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:51 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:

--- Brian Powell
I for one do not bgrudge Aaron Judge. My point was I do not think he or any other player could perform as well as Maris had they been put under the same pressure. My answer is no.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:06 PM
Danny Gr|mes

I will celebrate him even more when he hits 63 for Baltimore next year! Sorry he won’t sign for the Sox or Mets!!!!
Old 10-09-2022, 02:00 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Agree with Peter and Tony there was ZERO pressure on Judge this year.

That was a stupid comment by whoever said it and if anyone agreed with it.

He was playing baseball for basically 25-30-40 Million a season in his future and sure wasn't hurting going in.

Completely different times from Maris and Aaron, now that was pressure.

For the most part other than closers there really isn't pressure in baseball, until the Playoffs and World Series.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:27 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
He was playing baseball for basically 25-30-40 Million a season in his future and sure wasn't hurting going in.
The bizarre part to me is that while Ohtani and Judge are going to make 30-40 mill a year, someone like Charlie Morton (a textbook definition of replaceable, and getting old and regressing no less) is getting 20 million next year.

I wouldn't think that Morton is worth 5% of those other two guys to a franchise, much less more than half
Old 10-09-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, if he hits 63 for the Mets next year, will you celebrate even more?
Are you kidding? I hate the Mets. I hope he doesn't leave the Yankees. I would imagine the Yanks will make him an offer he can't refuse. Money doesn't make you happy, anyway. Obviously, you need plenty to live in the USA, and especially in NYC. Who would want to leave his teammates and fans that adore him? It's been done, of course, usually due to greed, but in the end----the player almost always wishes he had just stayed put. That's my nickel pack's worth. --- Brian Powell
Old 10-09-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
I for one do not bgrudge Aaron Judge. My point was I do not think he or any other player could perform as well as Maris had they been put under the same pressure. My answer is no.
Well said, Tony. The pressure on Roger Maris was excruciating. I got interested in cards in 1961, at age 7. I was happy for Roger Maris. Sure, I really knew nothing about baseball history, and so on. Come next spring, all I knew was that I wanted the card of Roger Maris more than any other.

Anyways, as I got older, I came to have more and more respect and admiration for Roger Maris. I tried to get his tougher cards, and with God's help, I did. Regardless of what Aaron Judge has done, and I love and am proud of Judge, I will always love Roger Maris, too. He got the record when I was 7. I'm now 68, and the record has finally been officially broken, and it's great. Aaron Judge deserved it. I'm glad he did not have to face the CONSTANT pressure, scrutiny, and immature, petty, and outright hatred of so many people that Roger did.

I don't mind having several guys to collect, but at my age, I can only allow myself a few. For one thing, my son has absolute no interest in my baseball and hockey card collections. That's ok; I helped him with all my might in what HE was interested in----Sonic the Hedgehog, and Detective Conan Edogawa.

Well, I'm getting verbose---again. Take care, my fellow collecting warrior.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-09-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:44 PM
Jim Caravello

All time single season home run leaders within a 162 game season:

Judge - 62 - 2022
Maris - 61 - 1961
Ruth - 60 - 1927 ( 154 games )
Ruth- 59 - 1921 ( 154 games )
Stanton - 59 - 2017

Period - end of story….

And if Judge or Stanton show up with steroid use at any time, they are off the list - that simple…..don’t think that will be the case…

Last edited by JimmyC; 10-09-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:47 PM

Yes, the asterisk was removed. I think all of you are whining because it's the Yankees. Maris did not lengthen the season, no on did except baseball officials. I believe it is home runs in a season, no matter how many games are in a season. And it's funny, I never heard this kind of crap about Sosa and McGwire and Bonds about the length of the season as I have with Maris and Judge. If all this would get rid of steroids, things would be much better.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:13 PM
J0hn H@rper

Maris did have a ton more pressure, but he was also doing nothing in '61 until the most feared hitter of the prior decade was protecting him in the order.

Various sides for the argument for both him and Judge. Each obviously had their amazing year, and there's no clear answer to which was "better"

Last edited by cardsagain74; 10-09-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:23 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Are you kidding? I hate the Mets. I hope he doesn't leave the Yankees. --- Brian Powell
Mostly I was curious if you were celebrating him as a player, or celebrating him because he happened to belong to your team. It seems relevant because this is very much an individual achievement, albeit with an assist from the ballpark. I guess now we know a bit more about why you’re celebrating this achievement.

Not that there’s anything wrong with being a fanboy of any given team. It just gives me a better idea of your motives for celebrating this player this year.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-09-2022, 05:52 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
All time single season home run leaders within a 162 game season:

Judge - 62 - 2022
Maris - 61 - 1961
Ruth - 60 - 1927 ( 154 games )
Ruth- 59 - 1921 ( 154 games )
Stanton - 59 - 2017

Period - end of story….

And if Judge or Stanton show up with steroid use at any time, they are off the list - that simple…..don’t think that will be the case…
Missing several here.

What one personally thinks the record should be recognized as and what the record factually is are different things. Many seem to be using the former as the later.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:55 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

ZERO chance he is not a Yankee next season.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:05 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
ZERO chance he is not a Yankee next season.
Zero seems a little low, but maybe you know something that we don’t know?

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-09-2022, 06:11 PM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Missing several here.

What one personally thinks the record should be recognized as and what the record factually is are different things. Many seem to be using the former as the later.
Cheating is factual…..

We all have our opinions….. Cheers…

Last edited by JimmyC; 10-09-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Mostly I was curious if you were celebrating him as a player, or celebrating him because he happened to belong to your team. It seems relevant because this is very much an individual achievement, albeit with an assist from the ballpark. I guess now we know a bit more about why youÂ’re celebrating this achievement.

Not that thereÂ’s anything wrong with being a fanboy of any given team. It just gives me a better idea of your motives for celebrating this player this year.
Honest, I don't follow baseball that much. I did get worked up when Aaron Judge hit the headlines in 2017. I noted here and there what was happening since then. I felt bad about his injuries, though I imagine the Yanks helped him deal with those with strength training, rest, but no illegal drugs.

Then 2022 comes along, and it's 2017 all over again, though this time he really seems to be carrying his team with crucial hits, fielding gems, and just anything he can do to help the team win. Without PEDS!

I thought with the acquisition of Stanton, the Yanks would have another Ruth-Gehrig or Mantle-Maris. When both are healthy...KER-BLAMOs happen. Without PEDS!

Sure, I like it that Aaron Judge is a Yankee. My all-time favorite player is Mickey Mantle, so there's some connection. Would I be so enraptured if he was killing 'em in Colorado?

Probaby not.

Shoeless Moe says there's "ZERO chance" he's not a Yankee next season. I agree because Aaron Judge is a different kind of person than some of the other "MONEYBALL" players. Yeah, for sure, his agent will demand "a Jupiter" multi-year package. He deserves that. I just don't think Aaron Judge will walk away from the Yankee organization, if the Yanks offer him the "BONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! numbers. I know it will challenge the Yankees to come up with that kind of a sky-high many-million dollar package, but if any team can do it, they can. Let's face it, without Judge, the interest in the Yankees in 2023 is virtually minuscule. At 30, his peak probably won't last too many more years. Still, nobody can take away what he achieved this year. One for the ages, or at least 61 long years. And without PEDS!

I could be very wrong. I doubt it. But I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and spare you the "I TOLD YA SO!"

In the end, I do feel Aaron is the kind of man that appreciates and remembers all those little fans of his, just like Mickey Mantle. What I mean to say is, Mantle FORCED HIMSELF to play in a lot of pain because he did not want to disappoint any kids in the stands that might be seeing him play in person for the only time in their life. Aaron Judge is like that, too. He does it without PEDS, too!

I probably sound as if I'm "way out there" to some of youse guys, but that's how my mind thinks. A romantic / sentimental view I suppose. Yup, cause I'm a mushy, sentimental slob. Aaron's not gonna see these words, and I'm sure what I say would not mean anything to him, but Aaron-----

PLEASE STAY WITH THE YANKEES!!!

And while you're at it, continue to stay away from PEDS! Your legacy will be golden!

--- Brian Powell

PS--And JimmyC, Cheers back at you, mate!!

Last edited by brian1961; 12-18-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:46 PM
+0m J()rd@N

From MLB's own website. No asterisks, no steroid notations, no notes about season length. Just homeruns in a season. End of discussion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MLB Home Run Leaders - season.JPG (52.8 KB, 251 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 10-09-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:57 PM
Brian

Judge had a GREAT season ... He's a feel-good story even if he is a Yankee and he's so big he literally dwarfs the competition.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22513177400...p2047675.l2557

If you insist on voiding suspected PED seasons Judge set a single-season HR record (assuming Judge is "clean" -- which I think he is). I don't subscribe to that myself -- the leader is much-maligned Barry Lamar Bonds. Like it or not.

The American League record thing seems overblown, outdated, and almost quaint. Ever since inter-league play began league records became much less meaningful to me. ...It's like figuring out who holds the NBA single-season western conference record for something. (BTW I think Chamberlain wins either way for scoring
The NL vs AL distinction has dissolved further with the universal adoption of the DH.

The NL single-season record for HR used to be Hack Wilson (56 in 1930) .... I'm not even sure who holds it now if you exclude the PED suspected? Ryan Howard, Luis Gonzalez, or still Wilson ?
Old 10-09-2022, 10:16 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
The NL single-season record for HR used to be Hack Wilson (56 in 1930) .... I'm not even sure who holds it now if you exclude the PED suspected? Ryan Howard, Luis Gonzalez, or still Wilson ?
Giancarlo Stanton had 59 for the Marlins in 2017 and Howard had 58 for the Fleas in 2006.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-10-2022, 05:04 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
Judge had a GREAT season ... He's a feel-good story even if he is a Yankee and he's so big he literally dwarfs the competition.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22513177400...p2047675.l2557

If you insist on voiding suspected PED seasons Judge set a single-season HR record (assuming Judge is "clean" -- which I think he is). I don't subscribe to that myself -- the leader is much-maligned Barry Lamar Bonds. Like it or not.

The American League record thing seems overblown, outdated, and almost quaint. Ever since inter-league play began league records became much less meaningful to me. ...It's like figuring out who holds the NBA single-season western conference record for something. (BTW I think Chamberlain wins either way for scoring
The NL vs AL distinction has dissolved further with the universal adoption of the DH.

I agree that the focus on Judge setting the AL and Yankees team record for home runs seemed a little odd. I'm a big Phillies fan, and I don't remember much being mentioned of him setting the NL home run record in 2006 or Stanton breaking it in 2017.

With Judge, I think it was clearly a way to give him credit for some kind of record without having the discussion of whether or not all of the PED tainted numbers are the true home run record.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:35 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Shoeless Moe says there's "ZERO chance" he remains a Yankee.
You misread what I said.

I said Zero chance he is not a Yankee next season. Meaning he will be a Yankee next season.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:40 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
You misread what I said.

I said Zero chance he is not a Yankee next season. Meaning he will be a Yankee next season.
Just to reiterate.....ZERO
Old 11-16-2022, 04:57 PM

my opinion that no one asked for:

There is no such thing as an AL or NL record. When Maris hit 61, was it in the records book AL record? No, it was MLB record.

Judge did nothing more than hit 62 home runs in the 2022 season.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:23 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcookie View Post
my opinion that no one asked for:

There is no such thing as an AL or NL record. When Maris hit 61, was it in the records book AL record? No, it was MLB record.

Judge did nothing more than hit 62 home runs in the 2022 season.
One can say they don’t care about it or it shouldn’t matter, but to say there is no such thing is false. They’ve been recognized for many decades.

Hack Wilson was listed for many years in many published resources as the NL holder. League records have been around since before 1961.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:28 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
One can say they don’t care about it or it shouldn’t matter, but to say there is no such thing is false.
What if I don't care AND it shouldn't matter?

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 05:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
What if I don't care AND it shouldn't matter?
Oh dear, this is serious. If we don’t care about pedantries of comparisons and baseball history, what else are we going to do?!
Old 11-16-2022, 05:36 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Oh dear, this is serious. If we don’t care about pedantries of comparisons and baseball history, what else are we going to do?!
Good point.

Remind me - Who's the current record holder for strikeouts against righties during innings 3-7 on Friday night games in stadiums east of the Mississippi?

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 05:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Good point.

Remind me - Who's the current record holder for strikeouts against righties during innings 3-7 on Friday night games in stadiums east of the Mississippi?
Come on man, are you even trying? Of course it’s Aloysius Jebbediah Mohammad Higgenbothom of the Carolina Cropdusters in the Mid South Association of Eastern Base Ball Clubs.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:43 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Come on man, are you even trying? Of course it’s Aloysius Jebbediah Mohammad Higgenbothom of the Carolina Cropdusters in the Mid South Association of Eastern Base Ball Clubs.
And that's why records exist - to be broken by guys named Aloysius.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 05:47 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
And that's why records exist - to be broken by guys named Aloysius.
It’s going to be heartbreaking to fans everywhere when we discover that Aloysius was using performance enhancing drugs with a concoction of lamb entrails, rat poison, and methamphetamine when breaking the record.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:57 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
It’s going to be heartbreaking to fans everywhere when we discover that Aloysius was using performance enhancing drugs with a concoction of lamb entrails, rat poison, and methamphetamine when breaking the record.
''Tis rumored that Aloysius was a voracious consumer of original recipe "Coca-Cola.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 11-16-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It was said the guy who caught the ball turned down 3M for it. It's going to a Goldin auction in the future. Personally, I probably would have taken the money!! A bird in hand and all..
Old 11-19-2022, 05:24 PM
Jamie

Judge said he won’t bid on it because it is out of his price range.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:09 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It was said the guy who caught the ball turned down 3M for it. It's going to a Goldin auction in the future. Personally, I probably would have taken the money!! A bird in hand and all..
It’s going to list with a $1,000,000 opening bid. Seems like a ridiculous price. I would’ve taken the $3 in a heartbeat… and bought a Wagner. Or a house.

Last edited by Wanaselja; 11-19-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:46 PM
Fred

As people say - records are made to be broken. What's statistically interesting is that a Yankee has held the AL record for HRs in a season for almost 100 years. No, I'm not a Yankee fan, in fact most of the time I'll be rooting for the other team when the Yankees (and Dodgers) are playing.

If someone was going to do it for the Yankees, I'm happy it was Judge in his walk year. It's going to be really interesting to see how the negotiations go. I'm happy it wasn't A-rod as a Yankee that passed Maris. That would have just sucked for Yankee purists. Kind of like when Maris that passed Ruth and not Mantle, but in this case, Maris was a class act, like Judge.

Heck, the person to pass Judge could be Judge himself or maybe that player hasn't been born yet.

Records are made to be broken and when they're like this record, it's fun to watch it play out.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:58 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Zero chance that ball sells for $3M, in my opinion. I'll be shocked if it eclipses $2.1, but hype has a way of infecting people, so who knows.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:13 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
It’s going to list with a $1,000,000 opening bid. Seems like a ridiculous price. I would’ve taken the $3 in a heartbeat… and bought a Wagner. Or a house.
Greed! If he gets more than $3M, then good call. If not, then bad call. However, $3M is guaranteed right now and is a tremendous amount of money for the ball. So I'm a guy at a game, who catches Judge's #62 HR AL record ball, and I'm offered $3M for it. No brainer in my book!
Old 11-20-2022, 09:56 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
Greed! If he gets more than $3M, then good call. If not, then bad call. However, $3M is guaranteed right now and is a tremendous amount of money for the ball. So I'm a guy at a game, who catches Judge's #62 HR AL record ball, and I'm offered $3M for it. No brainer in my book!
Agreed! 3 million…cash…in a duffel bag…and its yours!!!
Old 11-20-2022, 11:58 AM
John Hanssen

My take:
Fun watching Judge this year. Glad he had a great year BUT I've never been a fan of guys that step up with their best stat year only when they are in their free agent year with big payday on the door step. My favorite players are the ones that produce each and every year barring injury. I know he passed on a chance to sign before and took the chance but if he is still producing in the 2nd and 3rd year of his new contact in the same type manor. Then I'll eat my pessimistic words. Just seen to many guys get the big pay and never play the same again.

Last edited by nebboy; 11-20-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:02 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
My take:
Fun watching Judge this year. Glad he had a great year BUT I've never been a fan of guys that step up with their best stat year only when they are in their free agent year with big payday on the door step. My favorite players are the ones that produce each and every year barring injury. I know he passed on a chance to sign before and took the chance but if he is still producing in the 2nd and 3rd year of his new contact in the same type manor. Then I'll eat my pessimistic words. Just seen to many guys get the big pay and never play the same again.
Could not agree more.

That said, I hope he stays with the Yankees anyhow.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-21-2022, 10:10 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Just to reiterate.....ZERO
It’s happening!!!!!

https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-judge...ng-with-giants

1963 Post complete panel