NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default You people should be ashamed of yourselves...

I recently became a member here and one of the first threads I read was about the 1908-09 Rose Company postcards. Now I didn't know Rose Company from Rosey Grier so I was intrigued by the thread.

Then members started rolling out their collections of Rose Postcards with backstories and histories. The member knowledge was incredible.

Here's Honus Wagner.. Here's Cobb... Here's Walter Johnson... Here's Cy Young... Here's a blank one... Here's one of a ballplayer my Gran used to flirt with when the Team was in town..

And here's Moonlight Graham... Unbelievable.

One member said they were the most beautiful baseball cards ever made. Now, there are a lot of beautiful cards so I was thinking hyperbole but wanted to see for myself, so I acquired one. Not too fancy and within my price range I picked up a Mickey Doolan (Doolin) partly because he's Irish like my ancestors and I believe he's the only ballplayer wearing a cap in the Rose Postcard set.

Well, my card came today and I'll be damned if it isn't one of the most beautiful baseball cards I've ever seen.

I probably won't buy another but I did have to have at least one, and I can see how one might become addicted to this set.

And it most likely would not have happened without reading that thread.

So, shame on you guys for enticing me to spend my hard earned money on a Rose Company Postcard.

And thank you for your knowledge that you give so freely.

Also, you have a lot of cool cards...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img115.jpg (79.8 KB, 1131 views)

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-23-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:36 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Fun post. Congrats on a great card.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 PM
Scott Russell

That's a beautiful Rose. One of the nicest I've seen.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-22-2020, 08:19 PM
Ethan

Default Rose PC

Nice piece. Congrats!
Old 10-22-2020, 08:22 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Nice Mickey Doolan Rose Co. postcard. You are right, the Doolan is the only postcard of a Major League player shown with his hat on, though there are some Scranton players pictured in theirs. All of the other 191 Major League players are shown in studio portraits in uniform, mostly taken by Carl Horner.

There are two versions of Doolan/Doolin that exist. I believe that the postcard that you have was the first version, probably a prototype. Your version has his name spelled incorrectly (Doolan), uses a different font and abbreviates Philadelphia as "Phila." Though it is hard to see, this is the same version that is pictured in the August 15, 1908 edition of the American Stationer.

The later versions spelled his name correctly (Doolin), use the same font that is found on the other Rose Co. postcards and spelled out Philadelphia fully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doolin.jpg (79.3 KB, 1021 views)
File Type: jpg Doolin Ad American Stationer 1908.08.15.jpg (48.9 KB, 1018 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 10-22-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Wow, thank you Kevin, I had no idea.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Rose

I never paid much attention to these, but after seeing yours I have to agree that they are beautiful. Thank you for showing it.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 PM

Those are nice! Now shame on you for trying to get me addicted ...
Old 10-23-2020, 08:52 AM

Rose Co. PCs are super special. Enjoy.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:22 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Very nice!
By the way, what's the most expensive one in this set? Cobb? Wagner? Anyone here own one?
Old 10-23-2020, 12:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Very nice!
By the way, what's the most expensive one in this set? Cobb? Wagner? Anyone here own one?
I've owned a Cobb, Wagner and Plank before but don't any longer.
Cobby is by far the most expensive, all things being equal. It's a great set and they remind me, a little bit, of Ramlys.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:56 PM
Rich

Love Ramly's.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I owned a Matty for many years and I always thought that Rose post cards are among the top Five best looking Baseball cards. With Duke Cabinets, W600's , S81 Silks, And Creole Cigarettes (pcl) rounding out my top 5. You know what I am going to start a thread and see what other vintage collectors think are the best looking cards..
Old 10-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Congrats...that's a nice one! I own one too.... it's one of my favorite post card series for sure.

Ricky Y
Old 10-23-2020, 05:16 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Cobby is by far the most expensive, all things being equal. It's a great set and they remind me, a little bit, of Ramlys.
I agree with Leon that the Cobb is the most expensive card in the set. I think that Cobb would be followed by Johnson, which is a very tough postcard and some consider it to be his rookie "card." Young would probably be next since he is one of the most difficult Hall of Famers with only a couple of known examples. I would probably rank Wagner 4th only because he is relatively common with at least least 8 known examples.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:34 PM
Val Kehl

Something tells me that won't be the only Rose Co. PC that the OP ever acquires! Surely, at the very least, he will want an example of the version with Doolin's name spelled correctly.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:59 AM

Here are my three Rose Co. PCs (sorry I didn’t crop out the Cobb Sepia- got lazy).

I agree with Kevin that Cobb is the most expensive, followed by Wajo. I would put Matty up there with Young. I would place Wagner 5th, but only bc he is a tad more common (a whopping 10-12), and then probably Plank.

A few side notes: (1) this is a very large and divers set, with errors and variations. (2) Perhaps the coolest of all is that this set contains a Moonlight, Archie Graham - the real guy- from his playing days in Scranton. I believe only two are known, and I believe it is the only standalone Moonlight Graham piece (there are a few team photos, composites and PCs).

Here is a nice little article on the set; although I bet there is a ton more info about it in net54 archives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spo...cards-set/amp/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44AC106F-31EC-4EB6-B364-9C0E017FB372.jpg (11.6 KB, 355 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 06:38 AM
Brian Macdonald

Saying “You people” can get you fired from your TV gig here in Canada

Just sayin’

Old 10-25-2020, 08:47 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I recently became a member here and one of the first threads I read was about the 1908-09 Rose Company postcards. Now I didn't know Rose Company from Rosey Grier so I was intrigued by the thread.

Then members started rolling out their collections of Rose Postcards with backstories and histories. The member knowledge was incredible.

Here's Honus Wagner.. Here's Cobb... Here's Walter Johnson... Here's Cy Young... Here's a blank one... Here's one of a ballplayer my Gran used to flirt with when the Team was in town..

And here's Moonlight Graham... Unbelievable.

One member said they were the most beautiful baseball cards ever made. Now, there are a lot of beautiful cards so I was thinking hyperbole but wanted to see for myself, so I acquired one. Not too fancy and within my price range I picked up a Mickey Doolan (Doolin) partly because he's Irish like my ancestors and I believe he's the only ballplayer wearing a cap in the Rose Postcard set.

Well, my card came today and I'll be damned if it isn't one of the most beautiful baseball cards I've ever seen.

I probably won't buy another but I did have to have at least one, and I can see how one might become addicted to this set.

And it most likely would not have happened without reading that thread.

So, shame on you guys for enticing me to spend my hard earned money on a Rose Company Postcard.

And thank you for your knowledge that you give so freely.

Also, you have a lot of cool cards...

Casey,

Have you ever seen a T204 up close and personal? Probably one of the mst beautiful cards you'll ever lay eyes on...

Last edited by Fred; 10-25-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:03 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Ryan - Yes, Moonlight Graham and Plank are great ones also. Definitely need to be added to a Rose Co. Postcard Top 10 list.

The reason why I put Young so high is that I have never seen one offered for sale while I have seen 5 or so Mathewsons.

Just to add a few more scans to this thread, here are the two Mathewson variations - one with his name spelled with one "t" and other with two. Another interesting fact is that this is one of the few portraits in the set that was not taken by Horner. It was a portrait of Matty in his street clothes by Falk that was touched up to portray him in his uniform. (Images stolen from the internet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mathewson_428x777.jpg (76.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg Matthewson_438x777.jpg (60.0 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg Falk_575x777.jpg (43.7 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 10-25-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

The Moonlight Graham is on my very, very short shopping (scratch that) want list...though, it probably will never happen.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-25-2020, 06:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Saying “You people” can get you fired from your TV gig here in Canada

Just sayin’

That's called a lead-in headline, which compels people to keep reading, literally 45 views in the first minute and 1100 views at hour 24. They are useful if you want someone to read what you wrote. Kinda fun, you have to have a nice genuine story with humor if your gonna use a lead-in like that though.

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-25-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My only Rose Postcard currently...shown before but still.....