NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Default 19th Century Hall of Famers

Posted By: Phil Garry

I am currently working on a project of determining the earliest image appearance on a baseball collectible for every member of the Baseball Hall of Fame (Including appearances as part of a team item). For my purposes, I am including Cabinet Cards, CDV's, Trade Cards, Postcards, Catalogued Newspaper Supplements, Pinbacks, Team Issues, Catalogued Woodcuts (NY Clipper, Harper's Weekly), Catalogued Stamps as well as Traditional Baseball Cards. The only major collectible that I am not including is Photographs (Wire Photos, Press Photos, etc). I am starting my project with those individuals who made prominent contributions to the game during the 19th Century and are listed below. I would appreciate any feedback from the Net 54 experts as to the earliest image for each of these individuals. If any scans are available, that would be fantastic but just identifying the items would be great also. Here is the list:

Anson, Cap
Beckley, Jake
Brouthers, Dan
Bulkeley, Morgan
Burkett, Jesse
Cartwright, Alexander
Chadwick, Henry
Clarkson, John
Comiskey, Charles
Connor, Roger
Cummings, Candy
Davis, George
Delahanty, Ed
Duffy, Hugh
Ewing, Buck
Galvin, Pud
Grant, Frank
Griffith, Clark
Hamilton, Billy
Hanlon, Ned
Hulbert, William
Jennings, Hugh
Keefe, Tim
Keeler, Willie
Kelley, Joe
Kelly, King
Mack, Connie
McCarthy, Tommy
McGraw, John
McPhee, Bid
Murnane, Tim
Nichols, Kid
O'Rourke, Jim
Radbourne, Charles
Robinson, Wilbert
Rusie, Amos
Selee, Frank
Spalding, Albert
Thompson, Sam
Ward, John
Welch, Mickey
White, Sol
Wright, George
Wright, Harry
Young, Cy

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I'll start because its one of my favorite cards. Amos Rusie broke in with Indianapolis Hoosiers in 1889 at age 17.

n172_rusie330.jpg picture by vwtdi55

Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Alexander Cartwright- earliest photograph is a ca. 1848 daguerreotype with some of his fellow Knickerbockers

Henry Chadwick- first appearance is probably an oval photograph ca. 1862 of the St. George Cricket Club.

Harry Wright- appears on the 1859 panoramic of the Knickerbockers and Excelsiors

Al Spalding- there is a CdV of the 1869 Forest Citys of Rockford

Jim O'Rourke- I don't recall ever seeing an 1871 photo of Mansfield, so I will guess 1872 with Boston

Cap Anson- as we mentioned, on the ca. 1867 Marshalltown team.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Butch & Co.

There are almost certainly earlier images of each of these guys that meet your criteria, and you didn't include board games or card games as qualifying for inclusion, but for what it's worth, here's what little we know...

Spalding appears on a circa 1870 CDV of Forest Citys.

Brouthers and Clarkson are both depicted on the box cover of The Champion Game of Base Ball, made by A S Schutz in 1889.

Comiskey is depicted on both the box cover and playing board of The World's Game of Base Ball, made by McLoughlin Brothers in 1889.

Davis, Delahanty ("Delehanty"), Ewing, Hamilton, McPhee, Nichols, Rusie, Thompson, Ward, and Young, as well as Brouthers and others, are all depicted on the playoing board of Zimmer's Base Ball Game, made by McLoughlin Brothers in 1893.

Baseball Games
http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/

Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I believe I have the earliest Ned Hanlon image on an issue. Team cabinet photo of the 1879 powerhouse Albany team which also features Fred Dunlap. This example was also owned by Hanlon and is identified on the back.

Rhys

[linked image]

Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Here's the 1869 Forest City image with Barnes and Spalding:

[linked image]

Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul C.

"Jim O'Rourke- I don't recall ever seeing an 1871 photo of Mansfield, so I will guess 1872 with Boston"

Before O'Rourke played with the 1872 Middletown Mansfields he played on the 1871 Stratford Osceola team. A board member has this 1871 team photo - maybe he will post it?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

He emailed me and pointed out my omission.