NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Default W575-2 schedule card question

Posted By: leon

Picked this up recently and am sort of new to W's. Not real new but definitely still learning. Does anyone know how many of these came in a strip? thanks in advance....btw, I know the schedule was pasted on, albeit very nicely, and that these are blank backs....

Old 01-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I've always believed that these were not issued in strips at all. Are your two cards part of a strip? Or are they two separate cards that were both glued to the same schedule?

Old 01-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I looked under magnification when I initially got them/it, before I posted this, and again now....and they are joined by everything I can see. That's the reason I was asking. I am not sure I remember seeing this kind of strip card "strip" before. ( I might have I just don't remember)...Heck, the way things are going with me, right now, I might have seen one yesterday and not remember

Old 01-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I suppose it's possible that the Hotel Hermitage obtained an uncut sheet, or special ordered uncut pairs, and then glued the schedules to the back. I would be real surprised if the cards without the schedule on the back were issued in strips. The edges on these cards always look factory cut -- at least to my eyes.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Kind of strange that they had non Detroit players on the front for a Detroit team schedule. At least for myself I like the fact that you know who was distributing the cards from this type of a back.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

I'm positive that these came in a strip. However, I'm not sure if they were in pairs, threes, five, or ten.

After all, they are always given the "hand cut" tag when they're graded.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I own a couple dozen of the cards, all picked up at different times, and all are vintage machine cut. I personally have never seen one hand cut like other strip cards. Im looking at a group of 10 right now, they are all the exact same size.. height and width. I would think these really came with candy, just no one knows exactly what kind.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

Here is my take on them. I personally feel these were offered by a wholesale company to distributors to use and that a few major dealers of candy or whatever used them. I aquired an entire set last year and found that about 1/3 of the cards were significantly narrower than the rest. The other 2/3 all measured the same as the standard cards you find most frequently. Under magnification and black lights it was clear to me that both sizes were machine cut and probably issued on the secondary market through two different companies. I am 100% convinced these were issued with products as I have NEVER seen a W575-2 that had hand cut marks where the cuts were vintage and not done in recent years. This leads to the conclusion in my opinion that these were not issued in strips to the general public but already cut for insertion into a product. Whether or not they were issued in strips to the second parties for insertion into their product is a different story. This is just my opinion but I have owned a lot of these including the set I bought last year which was fresh to the market and had not seen the light of day in 80 years.

Rhys