NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-30-2021, 09:05 AM
John P0we11

Default Tape Residue

First of all, what a great forum! I recently jumped back into collecting (primarily vintage), and this place is a wealth of information. Slowly and surely I am putting together a 1952 Topps set. I’ve found a Larry Doby card that I’m interested in on eBay, but it is listed as having tape residue across the top (front) of the card. It is barely noticeable looking at the scans provided by the seller. This is an ungraded card. Is there a safe way to remove tape residue? This would be for my personal collection with no intention of grading or any interest in making money on it in the near future.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:39 AM
Andrew

Hello, and welcome! I've been here for about a year after also returning to collecting. I had a similar question in this thread:https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294951.

Turns out the short answer is no.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:43 AM
John P0we11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Hello, and welcome! I've been here for about a year after also returning to collecting. I had a similar question in this thread:https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294951.

Turns out the short answer is no.
Thanks.....not the answer I was hoping for, but kind of what I was expecting.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Andrew

The '52T Doby is a beautiful card regardless, though - I recently picked up a decent low-grade example myself. If the tape residue is barely noticeable, that sounds like an opportunity to get a card with good eye appeal at a good price.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Al Richter

Welcome to the Board. Check out the 52 Gallery thread
Old 11-30-2021, 10:53 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville_Hugger View Post
First of all, what a great forum! I recently jumped back into collecting (primarily vintage), and this place is a wealth of information. Slowly and surely I am putting together a 1952 Topps set. I’ve found a Larry Doby card that I’m interested in on eBay, but it is listed as having tape residue across the top (front) of the card. It is barely noticeable looking at the scans provided by the seller. This is an ungraded card. Is there a safe way to remove tape residue? This would be for my personal collection with no intention of grading or any interest in making money on it in the near future.
Yes...

https://www.gonewiththestain.com/home.html
Old 11-30-2021, 11:46 AM
John P0we11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Wow.....that’s some impressive work. Might contact and see what they charge. Not sure if it would be cost effective since we’re talking about a 125.00 card. Those guys definitely do quality work though.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:20 PM
Andrew

How do they (purportedly) remove creases from cards without it being noticeable?
Old 11-30-2021, 01:55 PM

Many years ago, a price guide (I believe it was the Beckett guide) included an article on tape and tape stain removal. The article claimed that you could remove tape and tape stains by soaking the card in the chemical toluene. I never tried it because it seemed too scary to me. But if you're interested, you can find toluene at Home Depot.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:30 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post

...soaking the card in the chemical toluene...
So many things could potentially go wrong with doing that. It's almost better to just buy the card in an "A" holder, no?

After a card has been chemically soaked, it is (by definition) altered.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 11-30-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:52 PM
Al Richter

Prior thread

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...with+the+stain
Old 12-01-2021, 06:32 AM
John P0we11

Ended up making a fair offer on a different 52’ Doby sans residue and the seller accepted. Might pick up some of this “toluene” and experiment on some older commons as it has my attention now.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:45 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I went to Ace to see about getting some Toluene to experiment with, and it turns out that it is frickin' banned in California. And so is regular-ass turpentine!!! It was due to some ballot proposition. My God!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:38 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I went to Ace to see about getting some Toluene to experiment with, and it turns out that it is frickin' banned in California. And so is regular-ass turpentine!!! It was due to some ballot proposition. My God!
Just one of many reasons why people are leaving California in droves. Such a shame.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I still want to experiment on some nasty tape/glue residue, but can't seem to find an answer to these simple questions:

1. Am I allowed to own toluene in California, or will the storm troopers come for me?

2. Is someone allowed to send me toluene through the mail/UPS/Fed-Ex, or is that illegal?

When I asked sellers (from the USA) on eBay these questions, I just get replies like, "California doesn't like kids sniffing the stuff." My response was, "Yes, I know that, but that doesn't answer either of my questions." And their reply? "It's bad for the ozone."

Oy freakin' vey!!!!

Does anyone have any actual insight? I was going to ask someone from back home to ship some out to me, if it's allowed. I'm sure even if I get some, it'll be ineffective, but my curiosity is peaked...and heck, I got all of these masks lying around to protect me from the fumes.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 12-13-2021, 07:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I still want to experiment on some nasty tape/glue residue, but can't seem to find an answer to these simple questions:

1. Am I allowed to own toluene in California, or will the storm troopers come for me?

2. Is someone allowed to send me toluene through the mail/UPS/Fed-Ex, or is that illegal?

When I asked sellers (from the USA) on eBay these questions, I just get replies like, "California doesn't like kids sniffing the stuff." My response was, "Yes, I know that, but that doesn't answer either of my questions." And their reply? "It's bad for the ozone."

Oy freakin' vey!!!!

Does anyone have any actual insight? I was going to ask someone from back home to ship some out to me, if it's allowed. I'm sure even if I get some, it'll be ineffective, but my curiosity is peaked...and heck, I got all of these masks lying around to protect me from the fumes.
https://law.justia.com/codes/califor...369a-402c/381/
Old 12-13-2021, 07:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Thanks for the link!

Yeah, it seems it's all based on "...with the intent to breathe, inhale, or ingest for the purpose of causing a condition of intoxication..." aspect, but want to make sure 'Big Brother' doesn't think I'm a glue-sniffing mutha-effer who's ready for a stay in Al Capone's cell on Alcatraz.

Casey Stengel

Old 12-13-2021, 09:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Thanks for the link!

Yeah, it seems it's all based on "...with the intent to breathe, inhale, or ingest for the purpose of causing a condition of intoxication..." aspect, but want to make sure 'Big Brother' doesn't think I'm a glue-sniffing mutha-effer who's ready for a stay in Al Capone's cell on Alcatraz.
I ain’t no lawyer, but I think you’re fine to possess it as long as you aren’t huffing it in the garage . But California laws and what they like to try and arrest people for are often different
Old 12-13-2021, 09:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Yup, I can smash and grab anything I want from the stores and they won't bat an eye, but have a chemical they deem bad??????? Burn him at the stake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-13-2021 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:55 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:

...want to make sure 'Big Brother' doesn't think I'm a glue-sniffing mutha-effer...
If Big Brother spent some time reading Net54, they'd probably think most of us were glue-sniffing mutha-effers.

Now, pardon me while I go back to working on that model airplane...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra