NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-25-2023, 04:32 PM
Rob

Default This is what I think of TPG’ers

I mean, how am I going to put it in a binder if it’s in that stupid slab? And, a 6? Looks better to me but I didn’t take the TPG 8 hour class to become an “expert.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3597.jpg (196.0 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3601.jpg (207.1 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3598.jpg (200.1 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3599.jpg (197.0 KB, 435 views)
Old 08-25-2023, 04:36 PM
Marc

I thought you didn't collect cards
Old 08-25-2023, 04:58 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I thought you didn't collect cards
It falls into the category of a “sked.”
Old 08-25-2023, 05:02 PM

Welcome to the Slab Crackers Club!
Old 08-25-2023, 05:41 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

"8 Hour Class" is hilarious.......when did they extend it?
Old 08-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
"8 Hour Class" is hilarious.......when did they extend it?
Maybe if you just breathe on a mirror and there’s condensation, you’re part of the team?
Old 08-25-2023, 08:38 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I actually was lucky enough recently to go on guided tour at PSA to see their grading process, but was asked to leave when I took a picture of it.

Let me see if I can find it.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-25-2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:39 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

ok found it, here it is.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (64.0 KB, 395 views)
Old 08-27-2023, 08:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

When I check out I will be very happy that most of my collections is graded. Will be easier for my heirs to sell at fair market value if that's the plan. I don't want some creep coming by and buying raw cards at a huge unfair discount.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:30 AM
Scott

Exactly how I feel about it. I plan to enjoy my collectibles while I'm here and hope my kids will hold on to at least some of it to enjoy themselves, but no way I'd expect them to want it all, and I'd love for them to be able to get a little cash out for their own interests, grading just makes that easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
When I check out I will be very happy that most of my collections is graded. Will be easier for my heirs to sell at fair market value if that's the plan. I don't want some creep coming by and buying raw cards at a huge unfair discount.

Last edited by DocScoot; 08-27-2023 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:23 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
I agree with this when the finished product is in hand and done right. I see both points of view some like having their items raw some like them slabbed.

What I'm talking about is the cost, the waiting times, the inconsistencies, the errors.

What other business do you wait 6 months to a year for them to complete their work. It takes less time to build a house.
Old 08-27-2023, 01:13 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScoot View Post
Exactly how I feel about it. I plan to enjoy my collectibles while I'm here and hope my kids will hold on to at least some of it to enjoy themselves, but no way I'd expect them to want it all, and I'd love for them to be able to get a little cash out for their own interests, grading just makes that easier.
Agree 110%
Old 08-27-2023, 01:14 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

What other business do you wait 6 months to a year for them to complete their work. It takes less time to build a house.
Not with SGC!
Old 08-27-2023, 01:58 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Not with SGC!
But by the time you crack it, send to psa, and sell for double, the time adds up

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Rob

Quote:
I suppose…but if I was worried about “heirs,” I would just keep my own records for them. My thing is, I don’t think these grading “experts” are any more expert than 80% of the people in this forum.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:59 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
I understand your perspective, but disagree.
The reality is that most people not into this are not going to take the time to sell card by car or photo by photo on eBay. The only way slabbing now protects them is if they sell each item themselves. Hell, I don't want to do that now and I like this stuff. I can't imagine my wife or daughter, neither of whom give even the tiniest of crap about any of it, would spend the time and energy listing on ebay or here or blowout, COMC or any other spot similar. Nobody wants to be responsible for setting prices, negotiation, photographing, writing up listings, shipping, and then dealing with whatever percentage of bad buyers they would need to. It's too much hassle.

The probability is that they will consign our stuff to an auction house. Being that the auction house wants to make as much money as possible, They will be very motivated to slab/cert an item if its going to increase the sales price significantly enough to make the cost worthwhile. They will guide the consignor on which ones are worth certing/slabbing and which ones aren't.

I care very much about my heirs, as you do about yours, and so have created an arrangement with a large auction house. My family has a phone number they will call if/when it's my time. They will come, pick everything up, slab/cert what's worth doing and sell it all. They will then send my family a check for the proceeds. Negotiated a rate for different item types and it's done. No muss, No fuss...no extra money spent now certing things, so I can use those funds to buy more stuff.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-31-2023, 02:56 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I mean, how am I going to put it in a binder if it’s in that stupid slab? And, a 6? Looks better to me but I didn’t take the TPG 8 hour class to become an “expert.”
That's how you do it, Sir! Crack 'em all, daddy-o.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 09-01-2023, 09:02 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I understand your perspective, but disagree.
The reality is that most people not into this are not going to take the time to sell card by car or photo by photo on eBay. The only way slabbing now protects them is if they sell each item themselves. Hell, I don't want to do that now and I like this stuff. I can't imagine my wife or daughter, neither of whom give even the tiniest of crap about any of it, would spend the time and energy listing on ebay or here or blowout, COMC or any other spot similar. Nobody wants to be responsible for setting prices, negotiation, photographing, writing up listings, shipping, and then dealing with whatever percentage of bad buyers they would need to. It's too much hassle.

The probability is that they will consign our stuff to an auction house. Being that the auction house wants to make as much money as possible, They will be very motivated to slab/cert an item if its going to increase the sales price significantly enough to make the cost worthwhile. They will guide the consignor on which ones are worth certing/slabbing and which ones aren't.

I care very much about my heirs, as you do about yours, and so have created an arrangement with a large auction house. My family has a phone number they will call if/when it's my time. They will come, pick everything up, slab/cert what's worth doing and sell it all. They will then send my family a check for the proceeds. Negotiated a rate for different item types and it's done. No muss, No fuss...no extra money spent now certing things, so I can use those funds to buy more stuff.
This is a great approach, Mark! I may have to look into it. Although my collection is not as high end or historical as yours, there is some good stuff in there.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:21 AM
Tim Odeen

I grade as few items as possible. 1) I grade for protection if I think my fat fingers will ruin a card....like they did in the past. 2) If I am going to sell a card and I know that the difference in price is substantial between raw and graded.

I just sent my third ever submission to SGC (50% vintage). But according to wait times, this should take until Xmas.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-01-2023, 10:57 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I grade as few items as possible. 1) I grade for protection if I think my fat fingers will ruin a card....like they did in the past. 2) If I am going to sell a card and I know that the difference in price is substantial between raw and graded.

I just sent my third ever submission to SGC (50% vintage). But according to wait times, this should take until Xmas.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
To quote the great Austin Powers.... "It's not my bag, Baby".

There's more chance of their inconsistent graders or the postal carriers damaging the card than me. I strongly agree with Mark's approach. The only graded cards I own are those that weren't available raw at the time of purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 09-01-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:44 PM

What you need to do, Rob, is break a card out right in front of the TPG booth (making sure they see you) as you say really loud over and over again "Sometimes you just gotta say WTF"
beer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gif
Old 09-01-2023, 06:59 PM
Curt

I can say I really don't know much about the grading companies. I have never sent in anything myself to be graded and those items that I bought that were already graded were at prices that I was willing to pay for a raw one or in one specific case, I wanted to add a little more security when buying on ebay in a time filled with fraud. it was a PSA 1 1933 Goudey Ruth, the most I have ever paid for a single item in my collection.

I really don't understand why a more expensive card should cost more to grade. It seems to me that this is a service that should not need to differ from item to item. Does it get more attention, are they just taking advantage of a financial situation because they can or is it something else?

I am pretty much convinced now that I am selling everything in the next decade and enjoy the $, as much as it sickens me to even think about trying to sell it all. My dream was once to pass it all down to my 2 boys, like I fantasized about receiving a passed down collection from my parents or older siblings as a kid. At 19 and 21, they don't have even the slightest interest and I doubt any will grow. I envy those with kids who have taken a liking to collecting.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:54 PM
Rob

^^^ I didn’t know more expensive cards cost more to grade. Typical of this scam “industry.”
Old 09-03-2023, 05:23 PM

the good thing about getting stuff graded now is that when we become old farts and want to sell our collection and not deal with ebay or when we pass and our families have to sell our collections, if they are graded, it can be placed in a box and shipped to probstein123 and then in 2-3 weeks, a check will be sent, that simple, no hassle, no dealing with ebay. easy peasy. cant do that with raw cards
Old 09-03-2023, 05:56 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
...cant do that with raw cards

Well, you could kind of do that with Greg Morris and raw cards.

I think the key is to set your family up with at least a rudimentary plan or roadmap on what to do with your cards. Just because you have graded cards doesn't mean they will know their value or where to sell them.

Go ask a valued family member how much and where they would sell your PSA 3 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle Gray Back. And then ask them the same thing about some raw Mickey Mantle you have...you're just going to get shrugs on both unless you give them a path.

It's not the graded or not that really matters.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post

I really don't understand why a more expensive card should cost more to grade. It seems to me that this is a service that should not need to differ from item to item. Does it get more attention, are they just taking advantage of a financial situation because they can or is it something else?
Simple, they want their cut. if you are going to profit from a high grade they give you, they want a piece of that action.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 09-03-2023 at 07:31 PM.