NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Michael

Willie used to sign for $100 TTM. I was collecting the 1964 Topps Giants set and send him $100. He signed the back
Old 05-20-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Willie used to sign for $100 TTM. I was collecting the 1964 Topps Giants set and send him $100. He signed the back
What a prick
Old 05-28-2021, 04:13 PM

I don't get why some people are the way they are, really. It's one thing if somebody is rude or impolite or entitled in asking for a signature, but if people are kindly and politely asking, I don't see why some go out of their way to be nasty if they don't oblige.

Furthermore, if it's an official, organized paid signing, I don't see why an athlete shouldn't oblige where somebody wants to have their particular item signed. I last saw Mays do a show (at least the venue I frequented) almost 10 years ago, and he was $289 for his cheapest price. Why not take the time out of your day to be nice to others?

After all, we are people, and being kind to one another shouldn't take much or be too much to ask.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:50 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
I don't get why some people are the way they are, really. It's one thing if somebody is rude or impolite or entitled in asking for a signature, but if people are kindly and politely asking, I don't see why some go out of their way to be nasty if they don't oblige.

Furthermore, if it's an official, organized paid signing, I don't see why an athlete shouldn't oblige where somebody wants to have their particular item signed. I last saw Mays do a show (at least the venue I frequented) almost 10 years ago, and he was $289 for his cheapest price. Why not take the time out of your day to be nice to others?

After all, we are people, and being kind to one another shouldn't take much or be too much to ask.
From what I've heard, Mays is bitter about Mickey Mantle being more popular than him, and about today's athletes making several times what he did.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:24 AM
Brad Jerome

There have been several instances where Barry Bonds has showed some good will to the fans since the end of his playing days. During his one year stint as hitting coach for the Marlins there was a mob of about 40 people outside the team hotel in Minneapolis seeking to get his autograph. On the travel day, Barry stopped and signed for pretty much every one of us. He wasn't picking or choosing items. I got a gorgeous sweet spot that day on an ROMLB. Another instance of Bonds showing the fans some good will was at GiantsFest in 2017. Bonds had not been invited to attend 2017 GiantsFest and decided to crash the party. While the fans were waiting outside for the gates to open, Bonds rides up on his bicycle and just impromptu begins signing autographs. Barry has mellowed to an extent in his retirement. When he signed for us in Minnesota he even laughed and joked a bit. I even shook a bit after landing that signature.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:43 AM
Michael

One morning about 40 of us were outside Scottsdale stadium waiting for the Giants to come in and we knew Willie was there about 15 years ago. There was an old gentleman older than Willie waiting to get an item signed (something that meant alot to him but not something he could or would ever resell). he came just to get Willie. Willie is let out of the car he was in. All of us even the dealers moved away so the man could ask Willie one on one and Willie brushes him off. man was heartbroken
Another time outside the stadium 7 of us were waiting for Barry. It was raining and he walked by us. We waited there till he was done about 2 hours (please don't question my sanity). When he came back out and we were all still there he signed one for each of us (mine was on a Topps Heritage leader card signed by the others and he gave a beautiful signature of the BB type that since has been rejected by PSA when sent in cause I wanted in a slab- please dont tell me how stupid I was to do it)
Old 05-29-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
From what I've heard, Mays is bitter about Mickey Mantle being more popular than him, and about today's athletes making several times what he did.
Okay, and how is the second one the fault of the fans? It has nothing to with them. As far as Mantle goes, he played for the Yankees, and on a dynasty, too.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:57 AM
J Stone

Quote:
The first part may be true but certainly isn't the case for those of us in the Bay Area, the majority of us would take Willie over Mickey in a heartbeat.

As to the 2nd part Mays has had many lucrative endorsement deals since he retired and has long lived in an exclusive community here in the Bay Area and by that I mean exclusive even by Silicon Valley standards (there is literally a wall around the whole of he city limits).

Any perceived bitterness is likely rooted in something much deeper I doubt any of us are equipped to understand.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:20 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
Okay, and how is the second one the fault of the fans? It has nothing to with them. As far as Mantle goes, he played for the Yankees, and on a dynasty, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
The first part may be true but certainly isn't the case for those of us in the Bay Area, the majority of us would take Willie over Mickey in a heartbeat.

As to the 2nd part Mays has had many lucrative endorsement deals since he retired and has long lived in an exclusive community here in the Bay Area and by that I mean exclusive even by Silicon Valley standards (there is literally a wall around the whole of he city limits).

Any perceived bitterness is likely rooted in something much deeper I doubt any of us are equipped to understand.
It's what I've heard his feelings are, from this site and other places. I did not say I agreed with it.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:50 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
It's what I've heard his feelings are, from this site and other places. I did not say I agreed with it.
Willie came up in an era where he was the greatest player on the field and served his country but yet heard every slur in the book and was still treated as a second class citizen by a lot of people at the time. That doesn't leave you.