NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I was going to post the 1983 HOF bat close to the induction, but here's a quick picture of the bat.

Attachment 390489
While we're on the topic of HOF bats, here is mine from 2007 signed by both inductees, Cal Jr. & the late Tony Gwynn

Old 03-24-2020, 02:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 84 (March 24, 2020 – 084)

This is a glass dish from The Sun which shows an image of the newspaper from September 23, 1966 when the Orioles won the AL pennant. It states, “BIRDS WIN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE PENNANT” and pictures Frank, Brooks and Palmer.

Day 84 a Dish Birds Win AL Pennant.jpg

Tried to find something that included Frank, Brooks and Palmer in the same item, and this is all I could locate that included the three Oriole greats. Some of these player portraits were used by a newspaper article on October 16, 1969 and I’m unsure if you can see, but the Frank and Brooks portrait are cut out. It’s possible they used these two pictures in separate areas and just taped them back on the photo, who knows (let’s ask Alan (BaltOrioles) the resident expert).

Alan,

Were either the Brooks or Frank on this Orioles sheet originally or were they cut from another sheet and just taped back on this sheet to be used at a later time? Also, do you know what year this sheet is from?

Day 84 b Photo 1969 October 16.jpg
Old 03-24-2020, 06:00 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I always thought this Miller Lite placque was cool (maybe it's because I like their beer). They were available via a mail in offer only and therefore you really don't see them all that often:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-24-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:

Some of these player portraits were used by a newspaper article on October 16, 1969 and I’m unsure if you can see, but the Frank and Brooks portrait are cut out. It’s possible they used these two pictures in separate areas and just taped them back on the photo, who knows (let’s ask Alan (BaltOrioles) the resident expert).

Alan,

Were either the Brooks or Frank on this Orioles sheet originally or were they cut from another sheet and just taped back on this sheet to be used at a later time? Also, do you know what year this sheet is from?

Attachment 390598
Mark,

Without seeing the actual photo, my guess is you are correct and have a combination sheet. I believe the sheet is from 1969 and the newspaper taped the Brooks & Frank Robinsons photos back on after use.. These were designed to be working file photos and it was common to cut up the sheets to use individual photos as needed. Here is the 1969 sheet I have. Everyone matches up except the two Robinsons. The Brooks Robinson photo was from an another photo. I would bet if you pulled off the two Robinsons, you might find Frank under Brooks and Mike Cuellar under the Frank Robinson. Just my two cents.

1969 Team 1.jpg

Here's the 1969 sheet I have with Brooks Robinson pictured.

1969 Team 2.jpg
Old 03-24-2020, 08:13 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1997 Rochester Red Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelucille View Post
Awesome photo! As an Orioles fan who grew up and now lives in Rochester - much appreciated!
Steve,

I don't know how long you've lived in Rochester, but the Orioles had a long standing relationship with the Red Wings, from 1961-2002. I'm sure you're interested in older Rochester items (patience ), but maybe you've seen these locally in Rochester.

In 1997, the Red Wings gave out photos that were sponsored by Frontier. The photos are 6x6 and quite nice. I have 6 different, but not sure if the set is complete. Anyone with others, please let me know.

Davis, Tommy (1997 Rochester Red WingsFrontier).JPG

Krivda, Rick (1997 Rochester Red WingsFrontier).JPG

Laker, Tim (1997 Rochester Red WingsFrontier).JPG

Shouse, Brian (1997 Rochester Red WingsFrontier).jpg

Steph, Rodney (1997 Rochester Red WingsFrontier).jpg

Waszgis, B.J. (1997 Rochester Red WingsFrontier).jpg
Old 03-24-2020, 03:57 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
While we're on the topic of HOF bats, here is mine from 2007 signed by both inductees, Cal Jr. & the late Tony Gwynn
The brown bats look great and this is no exception. The autographs are nicely done as well.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:04 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I always thought this Miller Lite placque was cool (maybe it's because I like their beer). They were available via a mail in offer only and therefore you really don't see them all that often:
I have one of those, but it isn’t in that great of shape. I won a lot in some auction (can’t recall which) and that came along with it. Yours looks nice; mine looks not so nice.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:10 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Mark,

Without seeing the actual photo, my guess is you are correct and have a combination sheet. I believe the sheet is from 1969 and the newspaper taped the Brooks & Frank Robinsons photos back on after use.. These were designed to be working file photos and it was common to cut up the sheets to use individual photos as needed. Here is the 1969 sheet I have. Everyone matches up except the two Robinsons. The Brooks Robinson photo was from an another photo. I would bet if you pulled off the two Robinsons, you might find Frank under Brooks and Mike Cuellar under the Frank Robinson. Just my two cents.

Here's the 1969 sheet I have with Brooks Robinson pictured.
Yes; looks like the same sheet just the Frank was put to the other side when taped back to the picture. They are definitely cut out and they’re not taped on top of another photo. Its likely the Brooks was taken from that ‘69 sheet, but I guess it’s possible it was took from another year with the same pic.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:53 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 85 (March 25, 2020 – 085)

I really like these types of publications which picture quite a few stars from the day. Inside they’re pictured by team and at least in the Orioles case have photos that were of the uncommon variety. This shows Brooks on the back cover and states, “Brooks Robinson 2 Grand Slams 2 Consecutive Games May 6 vs. LA May 9 vs. RS”.

1963 Baseball Photo and Autograph Album

Day 85 a Publication 1963 Baseball Photo Album front.jpg
Day 85 b Publication 1963 Baseball Photo Album back.jpg
Old 03-25-2020, 06:14 AM
Bill H@e1ig

unique "Athletic Journal" publication with Brooks on the cover from January 1972...BTW this is available if anyone is interested (DM me).

Old 03-25-2020, 06:51 AM

Default Orioles Spirit of '66

A side note: There is a great documentary put up on YouTube recently called Orioles Spirit of '66. It was produced after they clinched the pennant but before the Series. Then a section on the Series was spliced in later. It's mostly season highlights of TV footage from 1966 featuring each Oriole. In pretty good quality. Most of the footage I had never seen. Very cool.
In the World series section there is a still photo of Frank Robinson taking BP and standing at the batting cage in street clothes watching are Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax.
Also when they clinch the pennant and the series the person first in the clubhouse and greeting all the players as they come in is Brooks Robinson. Speaking of - in 1966 Brooks was still using a full brim batting helmet. In the 1969 Series he is using the shaved helmet. Anyone know when exactly the change was made?
Old 03-25-2020, 09:02 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1958 Vancouver Mounties / Louisville Colonels

In 1958, the Orioles had two teams playing at the AAA level. The Vancouver Mounties played in the Pacific Coast League, while the Louisville Colonels played in the American Association.

The Vancouver Mounties finished 79-73. A bunch of players from that team spent time with the Orioles. They included Ray Barker, Charlie Beamon, Jim Brideweser, Art Ceccarelli, Joe Durham, Jim Dyck, Joe Frazier, Mel Held, Ron moeller, Erv Palica, Tom Patten, Buddy Peterson, Barry Shetrone, Gordon Sundin and Pete Ward. Future Orioles coach, George Bamberger, also pitched for the Mounties.

The Mounties had several program variations and also hosted the All-Star game.

1958 Vancouver Mounties #1.jpg 1958 Vancouver Mounties #2.jpg
1958 Vancouver Mounties #3.jpg 1958 Vancouver Mounties (All-Star).jpg

One Mountie that didn't end up in Baltimore was former Major League catcher, Charlie White. Charlie played for the Milwaukee Braves in 1954-1955.

White, Charlie 1.jpg

The Louisville Colonels finished a dismal 56-95. Players making an appearance for the Orioles, either before or after 1958, included Fred Besana, Wayne Causey, Chuck Locke, Chuck Oertel, Bob Hale, Bob Harrison, Jim Pyburn, Willie Tasby, and Frank Zupo. Earl Weaver appeared in 4 games and went 4-13. Another O's connection, Ross Grimsley Sr., also played that year. Ross is the father of Ross Grimsley Jr, who pitched for the Orioles from 1974-77 and 1982.

1958 Louisville Colonels.jpg
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:

This is a glass dish from The Sun which shows an image of the newspaper from September 23, 1966 when the Orioles won the AL pennant. It states, “BIRDS WIN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE PENNANT” and pictures Frank, Brooks and Palmer.

Attachment 390597

Tried to find something that included Frank, Brooks and Palmer in the same item, and this is all I could locate that included the three Oriole greats. Some of these player portraits were used by a newspaper article on October 16, 1969 and I’m unsure if you can see, but the Frank and Brooks portrait are cut out. It’s possible they used these two pictures in separate areas and just taped them back on the photo, who knows (let’s ask Alan (BaltOrioles) the resident expert).

Alan,

Attachment 390598

Nice ashtray. They made 2-3 of the Pirates in 1960, but they don’t picture Clemente, so I’ve never talked myself into picking one up.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:21 PM
Bill H@e1ig

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the only All Star Game held at Memorial Stadium, Bulls Eye Cachets produced commemorative postmarked cachets in 1998.

I had two cachets signed by the only two Orioles who had made the A.L. All Star squad that season, catcher Gus Triandos & pitcher Billy O'Dell who retired all of the nine batters he faced (which included five future Hall of Famers), to help preserve a 4-3 A.L. victory.

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-25-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:56 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelucille View Post
A side note: There is a great documentary put up on YouTube recently called Orioles Spirit of '66. It was produced after they clinched the pennant but before the Series. Then a section on the Series was spliced in later. It's mostly season highlights of TV footage from 1966 featuring each Oriole. In pretty good quality. Most of the footage I had never seen. Very cool.
In the World series section there is a still photo of Frank Robinson taking BP and standing at the batting cage in street clothes watching are Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax.
Also when they clinch the pennant and the series the person first in the clubhouse and greeting all the players as they come in is Brooks Robinson. Speaking of - in 1966 Brooks was still using a full brim batting helmet. In the 1969 Series he is using the shaved helmet. Anyone know when exactly the change was made?
Steve,

I did enjoy the watching the Spirit of '66. The technology has changed so much since then regarding the quality of footage that's for sure.

That's a good question on the batting helmet. I guess I should know when Brooks made the change to the batting helmet, but I'm not positive. I'm sure some of these sleuths here probably know or could find out. I'll wager a guess though; I know I have a couple of photos of Brooks batting in 1968 with the regular helmet with no ear flap, but may have experimented and/or changed toward the end of the year with the ear flap and shorter brim. I seem to recall photos from late season '68 with the flap and short brim.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Day 86 (March 26, 2020 – 086)

How bout a nice original Brooksie dugout photo for Day 86.

1960’s Brooks Robinson photo

Day 86 Photo 60's Dugout.jpg

I’ll sneak in a Rawlings Advisory photo (since it’s a dugout photo as well) that has been posted already, but I like these advisory photos.

Day 86 Rawlings Advisory photo tie shoe.jpg
Old 03-26-2020, 06:40 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Another unique trade publication by the name of "National Press Photographer" from January 1967 with the iconic cover photo of Brooks, McNally & Etchebarren after winning the World Series the previous Fall:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-26-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:44 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1967 Martin Family Night

Ok. I'll follow Bill's lead.

Here's a flyer advertising the Martin Marietta Family Night at Memorial Stadium, featuring Brooks Robinson. I believe this was the last Martin Family Night. I have programs from 1963-1967, but have never seen anything before or after.

1967 Martin Marietta Family Night Flyer.jpg

The program from that night.

1967 Martin Family Night.jpg

Programs from 1963-1966. You can reference post #770 for more info on these nights, including a card set issued in 1964.

1963 Martin Family Night.jpg

1964 Martin Family Night.jpg

1965 Martin Family Night.jpg

1966 Martin Family Night.jpg
Old 03-26-2020, 05:45 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I like this one because of the old-style Baltimore cap:

2005 UD Past Time-BROOKS ROBINSON Auto.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-26-2020, 07:26 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Another unique trade publication by the name of "National Press Photographer" from January 1967 with the iconic cover photo of Brooks, McNally & Etchebarren after winning the World Series the previous Fall:
I haven’t seen this publication before and it’s such a classic shot; thanks so much for sharing.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:29 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Ok. I'll follow Bill's lead.

Here's a flyer advertising the Martin Marietta Family Night at Memorial Stadium, featuring Brooks Robinson. I believe this was the last Martin Family Night. I have programs from 1963-1967, but have never seen anything before or after.

The program from that night.

Programs from 1963-1966. You can reference post #770 for more info on these nights, including a card set issued in 1964.
Love the programs! I like the look of ALL of them.

Can you give some detail on the first item you pictured?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I like this one because of the old-style Baltimore cap:
Great looking card! I’m probably in the minority, but I love the look of the block letter Orioles jersey as well as the “B” cap. In fact I’m wearing the “B” hat right now...
Old 03-26-2020, 09:41 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Love the programs! I like the look of ALL of them.

Can you give some detail on the first item you pictured?
Mark,

I believe it is a flyer that was probably used within Martin Marietta to promote the game to employees. It lists areas within the company employees can buy tickets and discusses a contest employees can enter.

1967 Martin Marietta Family Night Flyer.jpg
Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 87 (March 27, 2020 – 087)

Brooks Robinson foreign magazines are few and far between. I’m sure there are more than I know about, but I also know there can’t be many. This is a weekly Venezuelan magazine called Sports Grafico and features Brooks on the front cover in his Baltimore away jersey. The title of the article is, “Mr. Robinson El Mejor Guante” or probably something like “Mr. Robinson the Best Glove”. The magazine is oversized and is about the size of an old school Boys Life.

1973 Sports Grafico

Day 87 a.jpg

Thought I’d ad this magazine in today since its just been discussed about Brooks’ short brim helmet and it’s prevalent in this magazine cover shot (even though it’s not the greatest photograph of Brooks).
Old 03-27-2020, 07:37 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1961-1964 Orioles Team Issued Thin Postcards

It been awhile since I highlighted one of my first loves, O's team issued postcards. Today I'm going to talk about the O's thin postcards. In the late 50's and early 60's the Orioles printed a few postcards on thinner paper than postcard stock. These definitely show up less often than their thicker counterparts. There are 15 known postcards from 1958-60 and 7 known from 1961-64.

I'm going to wait on the earlier issues and just show the ones printed between 1961-64. These were printed on a glossy paper and look much different than the earlier thins (facsimile autograph added). Brooks Robinson is part the group. An interesting inclusion to the group is Billy Hunter, who was a coach and not a player at the time.

I have heard several theories on why they were printed, but the two most probable are -

1. Inserted with season ticket renewals and mailings
2. Passed out in various areas as part of ticket drives, including businesses, to promote ticket sales.

If anyone knows more, I would love to be better educated.

196164 Postcards (Thin) 01.jpg 196164 Postcards (Thin) 02.jpg
Old 03-27-2020, 07:40 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Day 87 (March 27, 2020 – 087)

Brooks Robinson foreign magazines are few and far between. I’m sure there are more than I know about, but I also know there can’t be many. This is a weekly Venezuelan magazine called Sports Grafico and features Brooks on the front cover in his Baltimore away jersey. The title of the article is, “Mr. Robinson El Mejor Guante” or probably something like “Mr. Robinson the Best Glove”. The magazine is oversized and is about the size of an old school Boys Life.

1973 Sports Grafico

Attachment 390947
Mark,

Great looking magazine. I've seen a few more with other Orioles featured, including Frank Robinson and Luis Aparicio. While, I've been tempted, I've never picked any up.

On a side note, it's been speculated that the 1967 Venezuelan cards were actually printed by Sports Grafico and not Topps.

1967 Topps Venezuelan #1 - Copy.JPG

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 03-27-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Late in the '99 season the Orioles gave away a commemorative sheet (sponsored by Coca-Cola) with career milestones reached that season....Over the course of a few years, I was able to have it signed entirely by the six players featured:

Old 03-27-2020, 03:51 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

On a side note, it's been speculated that the 1967 Venezuelan cards were actually printed by Sports Grafico and not Topps.
Whether the 1967 Venz were produced by Topps or by Sports Grafico it’s my favorite example.

Very nice rare team issue postcards today!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:54 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Late in the '99 season the Orioles gave away a commemorative sheet (sponsored by Coca-Cola) with career milestones reached that season....Over the course of a few years, I was able to have it signed entirely by the six players featured:
I like the design of the commemorative sheet and to have it ALL signed makes it even nicer.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Bill White

Default Brooks Robinson

I am fairly new to this site, but I just wanted to join in and say how much I have enjoyed seeing the items from your collections. I especially appreciate the complimentary attitude that is shared among collectors here. Alan Strout is a friend of mine and referred me to this site. You will not find a finer person than Alan, I am thankful to call him my friend. He loves to talk about the Orioles, Postcards, Tadder Photos, Minor League Programs, etc.. But, he doesn't talk much about himself, which brings me to my first post.Scan.jpg

Alan won a contest through Topps. The contest was Be A Pro For A Day, so after he won, he spent a day as an Aberdeen Ironbird. Part of the prize package was to be included in the 2014 Topps Heritage set. It's a short print, you can find them on eBay. People send him fan mail asking for his autograph. I love it, he says he never has to buy a Sharpie. No Orioles collection is complete without an Alan Strout card.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:46 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirate View Post
I am fairly new to this site, but I just wanted to join in and say how much I have enjoyed seeing the items from your collections. I especially appreciate the complimentary attitude that is shared among collectors here. Alan Strout is a friend of mine and referred me to this site. You will not find a finer person than Alan, I am thankful to call him my friend. He loves to talk about the Orioles, Postcards, Tadder Photos, Minor League Programs, etc.. But, he doesn't talk much about himself, which brings me to my first post.Attachment 391028

Alan won a contest through Topps. The contest was Be A Pro For A Day, so after he won, he spent a day as an Aberdeen Ironbird. Part of the prize package was to be included in the 2014 Topps Heritage set. It's a short print, you can find them on eBay. People send him fan mail asking for his autograph. I love it, he says he never has to buy a Sharpie. No Orioles collection is complete without an Alan Strout card.
Alan, you've been holding out on us!!! Bill, thanks for sharing this fantastic story on Alan & please post as often as you can!

Bill
Old 03-28-2020, 02:04 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Alan Strout

I have the not as popular non-signed version of the short print card .

2014 Topps Heritage - Alan Strout

Alan S.jpg
Old 03-28-2020, 02:07 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 88 (March 28, 2020 – 088)

I was going to post these in two separate days, but they are so similar I may as well consolidate into one day…

When the Orioles won the American League Championship a plastic serving tray was produced by the Orioles sponsor, National Beer. The tray a 1966 Orioles team photo and states American League Champions 1966. The serving tray measures around 9”x14”.

1966 National Beer American League Champions serving tray

Day 88 a 1966 AL Champions Serving Tray.jpg

Shortly after the Baltimore Orioles won the 1966 World Series a plastic serving tray was produced. The tray was issued by one of their sponsors National Beer. The serving tray has a color team picture and states World Champions 1966; the hard-plastic tray measures about 9”x14”.
1966 National Beer World Champions Serving Tray

Day 88 b.jpg

I misplaced my WS plastic tray, so I had to grab a screen shot; I’m sorry I know…
Old 03-28-2020, 07:45 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
I have the not as popular non-signed version of the short print card .

2014 Topps Heritage - Alan Strout

Attachment 391038
Mark,

This reminds me of a funny story I heard years ago. Do you know what the rarest Bob Feller item is? It's something he hasn't autographed. You have the rare unsigned card. If you ever want to reduce it's value, I'll autograph it for you sometime.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Alan Strout

Default Aberdeen Ironbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirate View Post

Alan won a contest through Topps. The contest was Be A Pro For A Day, so after he won, he spent a day as an Aberdeen Ironbird. Part of the prize package was to be included in the 2014 Topps Heritage set.
Bill,

Welcome and I know you will enjoy sharing your love of the O's with us.

Nice job on your first post, but I question the subject matter. Not what I was planning to share today. Anyway, the experience was the thrill of a lifetime. As a kid, I dreamed of being a pro player like most kids. When I saw that the Ironbirds were the sponsoring team that year, I submitted an entry. Never excepted to win.

The winning essay....

SCAN8085.jpg

I did everything the players did that day, from workouts, batting practice, pre game meal and sitting in the dugout. I have the lineup card from the game at home and will post it when I get back. Two of my teammates included Dylan Bundy and current Orioles player, Stevie Wilkerson. I wore #58, my choice (5 for Brooks, 8 for Cal and I was born in 1958).

A few photos from the day

Press conference with me signing my contract and manager Matt Merullo welcoming me to the team.

Debut 3.jpg

I hadn't picked up a bat in awhile, but did get a few out of the infield

Debut 4.jpg

Signing for fans before the game

Debut 9.jpg

Delivering the line ups

Debut 14.jpg

My inspiration

Debut 2.jpg

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 03-28-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:30 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Alan....

What a memorable day that anyone here would have loved to have done! Congratulations on winning the contest!!

I thought it was funny seeing you talk about how your wife had to drive around in a Ripken themed license plate....My wife could relate as she had this on her car(s) for 15 years (before it was retired in 2000):

Also, I loved when Matt Merullo was the Ironbirds manager (hell of a nice guy)...Did you know his grandfather played for the Cubs in the 1940's (and played in the 1945 WS)?

Anyways, here is a neat press photo of Matt meeting Cal Ripken Jr.:

Again congratulations......

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-28-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:12 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Bill,

Welcome and I know you will enjoy sharing your love of the O's with us.

Nice job on your first post, but I question the subject matter. Not what I was planning to share today. Anyway, the experience was the thrill of a lifetime. As a kid, I dreamed of being a pro player like most kids. When I saw that the Ironbirds were the sponsoring team that year, I submitted an entry. Never excepted to win.
I was hoping your experience would come up sooner or later this year! It's about time it did...
Old 03-29-2020, 02:00 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Sports Illustrated

Day 89 (March 29, 2020 – 089)

I think Brooks was only pictured on the cover of four Sports Illustrated magazines over the years starting with an August 31, 1964 cover. The 1964 SI cover pictures Brooks coming home with White Sox catcher Gerry McNertney blocking the plate with Orioles Earl Robinson viewing the play. To me just a great action photograph by Herb Scharfman. The Orioles/White Sox/Yankees were all in a tight pennant race in 1964 and looking back who really cares who came out on top…

Sports Illustrated August 31, 1964

Day 89 a SI.jpg

The second cover pictures Brooks and Frank published just one day after the Orioles sweep the Dodgers in the 1966 World Series. The great photo was taken by photographer John Zimmerman.

Sports Illustrated October 10, 1966

Day 89 b SI.jpg

Third cover comes during the 1969 World Series with the Mets. Cover shows Brooks at 3rd with Rod Gaspar at bat swinging away and Elrod Hendricks catching. The cover reads, “Oriole Brooks Robinson Challenges the Mets”.

Sports Illustrated October 20, 1969

Day 89 c SI.jpg

The last cover shows Brooks along with some other Orioles and Reds players during the 1970 World Series. The article inside was entitled, “Flying Start of the Big Bad Birds”. Of course by the time the magazine came out the Orioles had already won the 1970 Series.

I liked Earl’s answer to a question a reporter asked “What’s the difference between your team this year and last?” Earl’s response, “Nothing”.

Sports Illustrated October 19, 1970

Day 89 d SI.jpg
Old 03-29-2020, 08:56 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Hi Mark:

Thanks for sharing all those SI covers...Regarding the 1970 one, I like to tell people that Bernie Carbo still hasn't touched home plate!

Here is an original 08/22/64 press photo that was taken a second or so after the one that was used for the cover (he was safe!):

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-29-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:22 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1960 Stockton Ports

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm always looking for Stockton Ports programs to fill some large holes in my minor league collection.

I do have a program from the 1960 Stockton Ports. The Ports were the Orioles Class C affiliate in the California League. They finished with a record of 66-74, but were plagued with poor attendance. It was a trend that would continue while they were an Orioles affiliate. The 1960 Ports drew 14,375 fans, for the whole season, an average of 205 per game.

1960 Stockton Ports.JPG

Stockton produced a couple future Orioles in Frank Zupo and Herm Starrette. However, the guy to end up having the most success was future Major Leaguer, Chuck Hinton. Hinton had a nice 10 yr career with the Washington Senators and Cleveland Indians.

1961 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Zupo, Frank).jpg 1963 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Starrette, Herm).jpg

A few other Ports included Steve Dalkowski, Jim Liggett and Bob Riedel

1961 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Dalkowski, Steve).jpg 1961 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Liggett, Jim).jpg

1960 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook #34 (Riedel, Bob).jpg
Old 03-29-2020, 09:37 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:

I thought it was funny seeing you talk about how your wife had to drive around in a Ripken themed license plate....My wife could relate as she had this on her car(s) for 15 years (before it was retired in 2000):

Also, I loved when Matt Merullo was the Ironbirds manager (hell of a nice guy)...Did you know his grandfather played for the Cubs in the 1940's (and played in the 1945 WS)?
Bill,

I love the license plate. Cal signed mine for me. Sounds like our wives would get along fine.

Matt Merullo was great that day. He made me feel a part of everything. After, the game he brought me into his office. We talked a lot of baseball, including his grandfather's career. At the end, he asked if I enjoyed myself. I said it was the thrill of a lifetime. His quote was "Great. I'm afraid we're going to have to let you go". I got a nice laugh out of that.

2014 Aberdeen Ironbirds #14.jpg
Old 03-29-2020, 12:37 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Hi Mark:

Here is an original 08/22/64 press photo that was taken a second or so after the one that was used for the cover (he was safe!):

I have a wire photo that has three sequential photos of this play, but I guess I didn't scan it when I was going through my pictures. I did scan one that's at a slightly different angle than the one used on the SI cover.

Photo 1964 Catcher Gerald McNertney August 22 SI cover.jpg
Photo 1964 Catcher Gerald McNertney August 22 SI Cover back.jpg
Old 03-29-2020, 12:39 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm always looking for Stockton Ports programs to fill some large holes in my minor league collection.

Stockton produced a couple future Orioles in Frank Zupo and Herm Starrette. However, the guy to end up having the most success was future Major Leaguer, Chuck Hinton. Hinton had a nice 10 yr career with the Washington Senators and Cleveland Indians.
The program is very nice and I really like the Oriole Scrapbook newspaper cutouts as well.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:57 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 90 (March 30, 2020 – 090)

This is a blank back coupon, Take Brooks Robinson Home to the Kids, for an 8x10 color autographed picture of Brooks Robinson with any gas purchase at a Crown Super Station (limit one per purchase). I’m unsure when the offer started, but you can see it ended on September 30, 1972. I’d really like to know what color picture Crown sent back and was it a “real” autograph or a “facsimile” autograph; anyone know?

1972 Take Brooks Robinson Home to the Kids coupon

Day 90 a.jpg

What do you guys think? Could it be possible that Crown sent out this colorized photo pictured below of Brooks with a facsimile autograph?

Day 90 b 1.jpg
Old 03-30-2020, 07:01 AM
Mike Magee

Good morning,

What a great story and card of Alan! I'm definitely going to have to get a signed copy of one to complete my Orioles collection.

Also Mark, I very much like that Crown Gas coupon. I've never seen one before. It's the same photo as the card identified as 1969 Crown Gas, so they must have loved that shot of Brooks.

Here's a May 1965 Baseball Press Box magazine with Mickey Mantle on the cover. Inside, there's a nice article about Brooks winning the 1964 AL MVP. The front page of the article has a nice sequence series of Brooks fielding a ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May 1965 Baseball Press Box.jpg (60.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg May 1965 Baseball Press Box Brooks.jpg (73.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:28 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1961 Victoria/Ardmore Rosebuds

The Orioles Class AA affiliate in 1961 was the Victoria Rosebuds. They played in the Texas League. On May 27th, the Rosebuds moved from Victoria, Texas to Ardmore, Oklahoma. The Rosebuds were 18-25 during their time in Victoria and 39-58 in Ardmore, for a combined record of 57-83.

The closest I've come to anything from the Victoria period, is an away program from Amarillo, when they played the Gold Sox. The Rosebuds played in Amarillo from May 27-29, so the insert roster sheet is likely the last time they were identified as Victoria. A couple future Yankkes played that day, Jim Bouton and Joe Pepitone.

SCAN8086.jpg SCAN8087.jpg

Here's the program from Ardmore. It's not mine, but the owner knows I want it badly. I don't have a very good poker face.

1961 Ardmore Rosebuds.jpg

Team members to make it to Baltimore included George Staller (Manager), Dave McNally (his pro debut), John Miller, Pete Ward, Mickey McGuire and Jim Fridley

1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Staller, George).jpg 1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (McNally, Dave).jpg

1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Miller, John).jpg 1962 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Ward, Pete).jpg

McGuire, Mickey.jpg Fridley, Jim 1.jpg

Other future or former Orioles included Charley Beamon, Buster Narum, Bob Nelson, John Papa and Frank Zupo

Attachment 391453
Old 03-30-2020, 02:57 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning, Mark, I very much like that Crown Gas coupon. I've never seen one before. It's the same photo as the card identified as 1969 Crown Gas, so they must have loved that shot of Brooks.

Here's a May 1965 Baseball Press Box magazine with Mickey Mantle on the cover. Inside, there's a nice article about Brooks winning the 1964 AL MVP. The front page of the article has a nice sequence series of Brooks fielding a ball.
I know I have a wire photo of the sequence in the magazine you pictured; just can't locate it at the moment. I do have a 16 by 20 autographed photo on my wall of the last shot. Love the B&W picture of Brooks in action...

Brooks B&W 16x20.jpg

Last edited by Mark70Z; 03-30-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here's the program from Ardmore. It's not mine, but the owner knows I want it badly. I don't have a very good poker face.
That is a very nice program. Hope you can add it to your collection one day. If not, get the owner of the program to join the group and start posting

Last edited by Mark70Z; 03-30-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 91 (March 31, 2020 – 091)

I may have mentioned it before, but love the proof stuff (even better than the final version or finished product). I guess one of the main reasons is I can go onto eBay and locate almost any of the regular issue cards pretty much any day of the week. You can typically find the cards in all types of condition as well. Look for vintage proof items and they’re just not out there; very uncommon to come across anything nowadays. Once in a great while something will surface and we’ll see if I can acquire and if not at least I know it’s out there.

The item I chose today is a 1963 Bazooka Panel proof. The ’63 Bazooka panel pictures Bill White, Ray Herbert and Brooks Robinson (28/29/30). The colors really stand out and I think the SGC slab enhances the look.

Day 91 a.jpg

Hopefully I’ve done alright so far with this Brooks Robinson and Baltimore Orioles thread as we close this quarter end. I know you guys have made the thread very interesting and informative for me. Let’s see how the next quarter goes…
Old 03-31-2020, 07:13 AM
Bill H@e1ig

A companion piece to that 1960 Fox Cities Team photo shared in Post #1008 is a team signed baseball (not shown is Dean Chance on the sweet spot)..Ball has Weaver, Powell, Ripken, Ward, Saverine, Lehew, Gillick, etc. :

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-31-2020 at 09:07 AM.