NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2022, 01:50 PM
Drew W@i$e

Default Collector demeanor in 2022 – Is it just me?

95 percent of my interactions with fellow collectors are great. I am in a few trading cards groups/message boards and we all love talking about cards. I have enjoyed collecting for over 30 years and just generally love talking about cards, going to shows, seeing others fulfill collecting goals, etc.

But this year, it seems those 5 percent of not good interactions have gotten much, much worse. On an almost daily basis, I see the following online/inperson comments:

“Price is too high”

“Card isn’t that great”

“Comps are X”

Or insults about another person’s card/collection.

I am sure this has been going on forever, but it seems to be it has gotten worse this year. Has anyone else noticed an increase in this behavior? Any reason for this? Hopefully, I am not the only one.

My hope for 2022 is that it gets better and not worse.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Absolutely agree. IMO many of the new collectors are young and unschooled in social-hobby-business interactions in the face-to-face world. Their default setting is "internet troll". I posted a card for sale with the following notice in big, bold red letters:

NOTE: IN MY OPINION THIS CARD HAS BEEN TRIMMED. BID ACCORDINGLY.

I get this PM:

"Oh, your opinion. Super reliable. Why don't you put a 30 cent ruler next to it and verify."

Really?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-20-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:41 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

I completely agree. I also belong to a couple of FB vintage card groups.

My pet peeve is when someone posts a card with the comment "SO excited to pick up this card, I've wanted it for so long!! NFS/NFT"

invariably some jackass will post "How much?" in the replies.

There's a definite lack of decorum/social skills in the world today...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Absolutely agree. IMO many of the new collectors are young and unschooled in social-hobby-business interactions in the face-to-face world. Their default setting is "internet troll". I posted a card for sale with the following notice in big, bold red letters:

I get this PM:

"Oh, your opinion. Super reliable. Why don't you put a 30 cent ruler next to it and verify."

Really?
damn, what a douche. i guess that's what you get for being honest these days.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:21 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

That's why I only hang out here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-20-2022, 03:26 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

We are all in agreement and many of us have experienced the same.

on the positive side there are many new and helping the hobby grow and their are many that are willing to learn from others and also try and enjoy the hobby

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I get this PM:

Really?
A whole generation, spending hours a day staring into their devices or multiple devices. Scrolling, swiping, clicking, multitasking, the thing constantly emitting sounds of all sorts. Following and being followed. @this and @that. #this and #that. It cannot be a good thing for society.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-20-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:52 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I was somewhat shocked last month when I went to a local show with the number of young collectors walking around with briefcases. Once opened rows of slabs met my eye.

This is not a hobby in their eyes, it is a stock exchange floor and they are trading on their futures.

How can that be enjoyable? The romance of collecting has been dented to an unrecognizable form.

B. T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:02 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Just enjoy the 95 percent and ignore the 5 percent.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:02 PM
Michael S.

Quote:

I get this PM:

Really?

Did you get out your 30 cent ruler?

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 04-20-2022, 04:03 PM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
I was somewhat shocked last month when I went to a local show with the number of young collectors walking around with briefcases. Once opened rows of slabs met my eye.

This is not a hobby in their eyes, it is a stock exchange floor and they are trading on their futures.

How can that be enjoyable? The romance of collecting has been dented to an unrecognizable form.

B. T.
+1. It seems many are in this only to flip and make quick cash. For these folks, baseball cards might as well be undefined "widgets". The funniest ones are when people ask "which type of box available at Target brings the best ROI?"
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-20-2022, 04:09 PM
J0hn H@rper

Most of the FB card groups I've joined have a pretty good general demeanor (and are enjoyable to interact with).

The exception is the huge hockey card group, which is like a childish mix of a soap opera and scammer page
Old 04-20-2022, 04:09 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

The hobby has definitely morphed but I don't agree that the interactions are worse necessarily. They're just different. When you're posting in groups and so forth, you're going to get feedback in a way that simply wasn't possible 30 years ago. And, yes, some of that feedback will be negative. I can tell you that, with one exception, the interactions I see in my Facebook groups are generally polite and not annoying - even when giving negative feedback.

The one exception I see is people ignoring what people are asking for in posts. "Looking for Mac Jones Autos, no college jersey stuff" and then 90% of the responses will be non-autos or college jersey cards. That's annoying.

To me, it feels like a lot of the complaints I see about behavior are just complaints because things are different than they used to be.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:13 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
To me, it feels like a lot of the complaints I see about behavior are just complaints because things are different than they used to be.
2001: Chris, I believe you may have a point. Every generation has slightly differing methods of communication.

2022:, F*&K OFF, boomer.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:20 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
A whole generation, spending hours a day staring into their devices or multiple devices. Scrolling, swiping, clicking, multitasking, the thing constantly emitting sounds of all sorts. Following and being followed. @this and @that. #this and #that. It cannot be a good thing for society.
And that's just when they are driving.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
+1. It seems many are in this only to flip and make quick cash. For these folks, baseball cards might as well be undefined "widgets". The funniest ones are when people ask "which type of box available at Target brings the best ROI?"
Some of these guys might get lucky, but I assume the vast majority of them won't do the work to learn about what they are pouring money into and will lose their asses.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-20-2022 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:27 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Totally agree. As I inch closer and close to old man territory, it's clear to me that to my age group and older, everything is "worse". EVERYTHING. It's not "worse," it's just different. Newsflash, things change.

All things must pass. George Harrison.

That doesn't make them worse. It just makes them different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
The hobby has definitely morphed but I don't agree that the interactions are worse necessarily. They're just different. When you're posting in groups and so forth, you're going to get feedback in a way that simply wasn't possible 30 years ago. And, yes, some of that feedback will be negative. I can tell you that, with one exception, the interactions I see in my Facebook groups are generally polite and not annoying - even when giving negative feedback.

The one exception I see is people ignoring what people are asking for in posts. "Looking for Mac Jones Autos, no college jersey stuff" and then 90% of the responses will be non-autos or college jersey cards. That's annoying.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:38 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Quote:
Best article I’ve read on the state of society & social media.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-babel/629369/
Old 04-21-2022, 12:45 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:

I get this PM:

Really?
Really? Rulers are still 30 cents?
Old 04-21-2022, 12:55 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Most of the FB card groups I've joined have a pretty good general demeanor (and are enjoyable to interact with).

The exception is the huge hockey card group, which is like a childish mix of a soap opera and scammer page
This is intriguing to me.

First, a little history. The main reason I became engaged with FB is because on here (Net54), I would read posts about people finding cards in FB groups. Because of this, I took the plunge 2-3 years ago. Joined a T206 group, some vintage baseball, CFL football, and a few hockey card groups.

In the last couple of days, the largest (that I've found) hockey card group has come under deep criticism where a couple of the admins are accused of scoping out posts and making purchases before they are approved and the general members can see them.

Now, I am not here to accuse, confirm, or defend it. I am simply commenting on what is being said in other hockey groups.

Myself, I have preferred one of the smaller groups. Seems to have more knowledgeable and courteous participants, and I've actually picked up a few items that I needed. I've also met some quality people along the way.

What i hate most about many FB card groups is so many folks want to jump in and show they are the smartest collector on the planet. They love to criticize asking price, and sometimes belittle newbies simply asking questions. It gets tiresome.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:22 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I am in old man territory and you are correct. Everything is "different" for me. I find very few set collectors and very few traders of anything that is not graded. I was in the antiques business for many years and finally got out the end of 2019 because tastes have changed. People were not longer collecting nor getting something they liked, it was, when they came in, for the most part, they were looking for one specific item. The old time antique collector was gone. Things change and I am unable to change with them as the prices have pretty well forced me out. I don't know what will happen with my collections, yes I have a few different ones since once a collector always a collector, but I still am enjoying what I have and the occasional find of something to add whether it be a Cubs card or a Mighty Mouse comic book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Totally agree. As I inch closer and close to old man territory, it's clear to me that to my age group and older, everything is "worse". EVERYTHING. It's not "worse," it's just different. Newsflash, things change.

All things must pass. George Harrison.

That doesn't make them worse. It just makes them different.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:45 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Really? Rulers are still 30 cents?
Appears that they cost about $2.00 these days....

https://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Clea...77&sr=8-5&th=1
Old 04-21-2022, 07:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Methods of communication change; manners do not. Being rude or obnoxious is the same whether it is in person, on the phone, or online.

Or not...
Old 04-21-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibitman View Post
methods of communication change; manners do not. Being rude or obnoxious is the same whether it is in person, on the phone, or online.
amen!
Old 04-21-2022, 10:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I always ask the same things:

1. Would my mom be proud of this communication?

2. Would I want this shown to a jury?

If the answers are anything other than "yes", revisions are in order.

Or not...
Old 04-21-2022, 11:14 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I haven’t noticed an increase in bad interactions, just a difference. There are a lot more younger people in card world, who tend to be rather more direct to the point. If I was selling a card and one of them gave me the “comps are X”, as long as that comp is true and fair, I wouldn’t see any problem. If they were lying, misusing data, then I’d find it negative.

It’s different now, but I don’t find it worse. Old curmudgeons complaining about everything that’s happened since the invention of the computer isn’t any better than whiny youth who call me “bro”. The youth express rudeness with an abrupt sentence cutting me off when I am speaking. The elderly express rudeness by ranting for thirty minutes. I have found most people to be decent, or failing that, tolerable.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:20 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I haven’t noticed an increase in bad interactions, just a difference. There are a lot more younger people in card world, who tend to be rather more direct to the point. If I was selling a card and one of them gave me the “comps are X”, as long as that comp is true and fair, I wouldn’t see any problem. If they were lying, misusing data, then I’d find it negative.

It’s different now, but I don’t find it worse. Old curmudgeons complaining about everything that’s happened since the invention of the computer isn’t any better than whiny youth who call me “bro”. The youth express rudeness with an abrupt sentence cutting me off when I am speaking. The elderly express rudeness by ranting for thirty minutes. I have found most people to be decent, or failing that, tolerable.
Agree with this.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:27 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
In the last couple of days, the largest (that I've found) hockey card group has come under deep criticism where a couple of the admins are accused of scoping out posts and making purchases before they are approved and the general members can see them.

Now, I am not here to accuse, confirm, or defend it. I am simply commenting on what is being said in other hockey groups.
No clue if that actually happened either, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me.

There's just more of a slimy aspect to some of the people on that page than all the other groups I've been around combined (which includes others that are just as big). But it's still interesting to stick around for the entertainment value
Old 04-21-2022, 12:34 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post

Fantastic article, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:48 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Do we own the devices or do they own us?
Old 04-21-2022, 01:02 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Appears that they cost about $2.00 these days....

https://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Clea...77&sr=8-5&th=1
Or do what Leon does and use a half dollar. That would only run 50 cents.

I don't have a problem with someone quoting comps, so long as they are accurate. But if someone is selling a PSA 7 OC, but quoting straight PSA 7 comps, like a former member here used to do, well that's an issue.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:47 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Or do what Leon does and use a half dollar. That would only run 50 cents.

I don't have a problem with someone quoting comps, so long as they are accurate. But if someone is selling a PSA 7 OC, but quoting straight PSA 7 comps, like a former member here used to do, well that's an issue.

I literally thought that was "coining " was

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-21-2022, 08:16 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post

I read this earlier today as well. Great read.