NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2022, 02:22 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordfest View Post
Wait...so auction houses charge the sellers a 25% consignment fee AND buyers a 20% fee? And then possibly sales tax on top?!! What a freaking racket. These auction houses are just wringing collectors dry and getting rich in the process.

How do they stay in business?!
Consignors (sellers can negotiate the consignment fee, depending on what your consigning, sometimes zero or anything less than the 25%.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Mike

Definitely the West Coast has the advantage because of when the auction ends. I like individual lots closing if no bids on them for 10-15 minutes after 9pm. This gives everyone a chance at a reasonable hour. Why keep all the lots open until 4-5 am. ?
Old 04-19-2022, 03:38 PM
Jeremy W.

Hordfest/Brandon shouldn't have to pay any seller's premium.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:52 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Definitely the West Coast has the advantage because of when the auction ends. I like individual lots closing if no bids on them for 10-15 minutes after 9pm. This gives everyone a chance at a reasonable hour. Why keep all the lots open until 4-5 am. ?
I'm fine with modified closing a number of AH have adopted where lots can close after midnight or 1 if there has been no bid in the last hour.

I think that's fair to consignors and bidders.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-19-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:59 PM
Michael

I understand the confusion when first encountering the AH pricing models. They are providing a service by marketing, collecting payment, and shipping your consignment. In some cases, they will also submit your cards to a grading service. Some AHs will give you a partial advance (say 25% of the estimated value) on your consignment and you can also use your consignment to offset purchases in the same auction. In exchange for these services, they charge a buyer's premium (non-negotiable) and consignment fees (usually negotiable). It’s pretty much the standard business model for auction houses all over the world.

You have to judge whether you think you could net the same amount by selling the cards yourself (also factoring in the time and effort spent in doing so). If you choose not to use their services, there are other options without fees, like the B/S/T section on this board.

My understanding is that an AH charges taxes as per applicable state laws. No one asks Home Depot why they are charging sales tax on the microwave you just brought. Taxes are certainly a big issue...I live in New York, so I know…but it’s not specific to baseball cards.

As for the buyer’s premium, I am not clear what the issue is. If you know ahead of time you will be paying 20% more than you are bidding (it’s always in the rules), you take this into account when you bid. If you are willing to pay up to $1200 for an item, you bid up to $1000. I understand the psychology of it and the sticker shock when you get the invoice. But it’s not a hidden fee that they spring on you without advance notice. In some cases (Heritage, for example) an AH will show the current bid with and without the BP.

As for REA, I have some lots consigned as well. Some have spirited bidding, some only one or two bids. I am hoping the slower ones pick up, but I think this is a function of the cards themselves not REA. The cards are accurately described and scanned. I doubt the final results will be different from any other major AH.

[Edited to add: That was not a knock on REA. I use them because of familiarity, and because I like their knowledge, customer service, and ability to reach collectors. But my cards are what they are (not headline stuff) and I assume they would get more-or-less the same prices elsewhere.]
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 04-19-2022 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:38 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Wait...so auction houses charge the sellers a 25% consignment fee AND buyers a 20% fee? And then possibly sales tax on top?!! What a freaking racket. These auction houses are just wringing collectors dry and getting rich in the process.

How do they stay in business?!
First, the vast majority of businesses in the world make more than a 45% gross margin. 2nd, very few, if any, auction companies make a 45% gross margin. I can tell you ours is significantly lower than that number. Gross margin, if you are not aware, is NOT profit mind you it's merely the difference between what we take in and what we send to consignors. so out of that number we have to pay for the online platform or software, all of our employees, advertising, lease on our offices and warehouse, show fees and on and on.

If you are new to the board dig around a little you'll see plenty of stories of auctions that went bust, often after they actually stole from consignors. Why did they steal? likely because, like you, they thought running an auction was an easy path to instant riches. When they found out they were wrong and they couldn't pay the bills, they victimized their consignors.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-19-2022, 06:41 PM
Brand0n H0rd

Clearly my opinion is in the minority here. Maybe I'll change my mind as I get deeper into the hobby. For now, let's just say I'm a skeptic.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:47 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Clearly my opinion is in the minority here. Maybe I'll change my mind as I get deeper into the hobby. For now, let's just say I'm a skeptic.
Being a new collector myself, I can tell you from my personal perspective over the last few years that coming up with a deal outside of an auction house can and often does work out well. But auction houses for the most part ensure you a wide audience and tend to get top dollar. Although there’s a small chance you could consign what ends up being a steal for a bidder there’s just as much of a chance that you consign an item that ends up with an insane bidding war at the end and the item goes for more than you thought it would. Good luck with everything.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:40 PM
Glyn Parson

Ffs