NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-23-2023, 02:59 PM
Shawn M

Default Trimmed Rose RC in a PSA holder? Need help quickly

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36410997285...Bk9SR9DT9oe8YQ

Upper portion of card looks suspect. Need advice. Thank you
Old 01-23-2023, 03:02 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

That top does look a little "wavy", doesn't it?

Not to mention the way it forms a point at the top corners makes it look like both of the sides might have been touched up a little too.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 01-23-2023 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:09 PM
Al Stein

I think the top of the card is just tucked in under the lip of the holder. You can see that where the lip ends on both sides, that's the spot where the top edge of the card starts to look wavy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2023, 03:18 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Dumb question, but why is this one not part of the Authenticity Guarantee program? I noticed that with another high dollar card recently, so was curious which PSA cards are exempt.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:34 PM
Shawn M

Smarti that's a great question. I was wondering about that myself. Analyzing this card heavily before pursuing to bid...
Old 01-23-2023, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I think the top of the card is just tucked in under the lip of the holder. You can see that where the lip ends on both sides, that's the spot where the top edge of the card starts to look wavy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Al I am just not seeing that, the whole card looks south of the slat to me?
As to the authenticity program,. it only pertains to the holder itself.
I would check the Tiffany Cards database but more importantly would just pass if I had doubts.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:00 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Al I am just not seeing that, the whole card looks south of the slat to me?
As to the authenticity program,. it only pertains to the holder itself.
I would check the Tiffany Cards database but more importantly would just pass if I had doubts.
Peter, you are right. It is not the slat itself, but the shadow of the slat. You can see white on the top edge of the card on each side of the slat, but the edge under the slat is dark.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:03 PM
Shawn M

Thanks for your reply Peter but your comment made absolutely no sense. With your wisdom however I will pursue to follow this card till ended

Last edited by smrtn240; 01-23-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I was in photoshop for another thread, so I DL'ed the pic to show an enlargement of the top...

roserookietopenlargement.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtn240 View Post
Thanks for your reply Peter but your comment made absolutely no sense. With your wisdom however I will pursue to follow this card till ended
Was I too cryptic, what didn't make sense? Ebay does not guarantee the card is unaltered, or the grade, we've been through that many times, it only guarantees the holder is real.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:17 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I apologize if I am derailing the OP's main concern. I realize PSA does not "regrade" with the Authenticity Guarantee, they just confirm the PSA slab is genuine. I thought it applied to all PSA graded cards over $250. I was just wondering why this card (and others I have seen on Ebay) are clearly over $250, are in PSA holders, do not appear to be utilizing any of the common workarounds (ie selling a "lot" or selling a "set break"), yet the card is not part of the Authenticity Guarantee program.

As it pertains to this listing, at least it could theoretically confirm the card in the PSA holder is the card PSA graded, as opposed to a fake slab, like we have seen several examples of recently.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

It says Authenticity Guarantee right at the top.

Authenticity Guarantee1963 TOPPS #537 PETE ROSE RC REDS PSA 6 A3523143-257

Old 01-23-2023, 04:22 PM
Shawn M

Thank you for your help, Darren, it is much obliged. This does actually help bring the image into more perspective.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:40 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Peter - That Authenticity Guarantee was not there when I originally posted my question after reviewing the listing. In fact, I still had that page up in a browser, and I had to refresh it in order to get it to show up. So, not sure if it was a glitch when I first looked, but at least it makes sense now.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
Peter - That Authenticity Guarantee was not there when I originally posted my question after reviewing the listing. In fact, I still had that page up in a browser, and I had to refresh it in order to get it to show up. So, not sure if it was a glitch when I first looked, but at least it makes sense now.
OK, glad we got to the bottom of it, I saw the guarantee so mistakenly thought you were asking why the trimming issue wouldn't be part of the guarantee. We both are still sane.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

It may kick in once the bidding hits a threshold.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:14 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Let's see if posting this link causes it to inexplicably change, because as I look at it, still no Authenticity Guarantee despite price over $20K: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134418610005?
Old 01-23-2023, 07:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Let's see if posting this link causes it to inexplicably change, because as I look at it, still no Authenticity Guarantee despite price over $20K: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134418610005?
Must be a lag.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:14 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I would not have bid on this card. For one, it's the ugliest key rookie in the entire hobby IMO (I much prefer the 64). But personal preferences aside, this copy looks suspicious to me. The left edge curves in at the top and bottom, which usually indicates that the card has been filed at the corners. Top edge also looks off, but that could be due to it being loose in the holder and banging against the top bumper. The card also has a ton of room inside that holder, which I'm never excited about.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:35 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
The Shoeless Joe does not show Authenticity Guarantee to me, either. I am wondering if it's because it's listed as "Base Set" in the item specifics.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:59 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

It may be the ugliest rookie post war card, but it's still super iconic. I remember seeing one in a book when I was a kid and owning one seemed completely unreal. I've had a few through the years now, my recent example is an SGC 4 that I absolutely love and will not part with. Ugly, yes...iconic, absolutely...which wipes out the ugly...

Did anyone here win this card?

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03