NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 11:56 AM
Andy Geller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
I hope they find the wire and the OP gets his cards soon.
Aside from that, MHCC still gets quality consignments and I'm sure will continue to do so in the future. With that being said, Brian Drent really has nothing to gain by posting here and defending himself as someone suggested he do; so I'd be shocked if he did.
Of Course they found the wire! I didn't get any calls or emails or texts apologizing...I just got two emails (1 automated) with the tracking for my cards.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:59 AM
Andy Geller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccre View Post
I'm not surprised to hear this about Brian. I had 2 back to back bad experiences with him after recent auctions. And very similar scenarios to what you explained. I sure hope you get this worked out. David Wilson
Thanks, David. I have had many DM's telling me the same thing...that he instantly is defensive AND offensive. He's acusatory and takes no responsibility....and quite often, he's wrong and doesn't own up to it. Sadly, he'll keep going this way as he's likely had no consequences. Perhaps if he wrongs enough people, it will catch on. He's just a bad businessman, and likely a worse human.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:02 PM
Andy Geller

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I have had nothing but excellent experiences in my dealings with Brian. In fact maybe 5-6 years ago, on Christmas Day, a customer of mine let me know of an issue he had in one of Brian’s auctions. I sent Brian a note and he responded to me on Christmas and called my friend and fixed his minor issue. I am very sorry you had to deal with this it seems unfair but I just wanted to put it out there that this has not been my personal experiences with Brian who has always been friendly and professional in all my dealings with him. Glad this seems to have been resolved. I understand an apology would be nice but if it were me I’d be happiest the cards were coming. My bruised feelings would get over it.
Thanks for the note. In my experience in my own business, when things go well, there's never any issue...it's when Shit hits the fan that you really get to see how people will respond. Thankfully you haven't had any issues and I hope you never do. But should you, be ready! I've had a bunch of people tell me they've had similar experiences....but like you, I've had a bunch of people tell me they are friendly with him and have had no issues. I can tell you this: if MHCC hadn't NOT shipped my first package last year and accused me of lying....only to find out they dindn't ship it...and then this time had they just seen my prompt payment...I too would be in the camp of having had no issues with them. Over they years I've won dozens of lots from them...and if you take out the two I had HUGE issues with, Then I had no issues with them!
Old 12-27-2022, 12:06 PM
Andy Geller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
One of the things I've learned in life is that people treat different people very differently. My experience with someone may be 180 degrees from your experience.

This wasn't the OPs first experience with Brian. So I suspect there is history here that colored this latest interaction a fair amount. Prob on both sides.
I hear and appreciate this point a lot. Funny thing is, I forgave and literally forgot about the first bad experience with Brian. When that happened, I was really just more happy that the cards were found and that I got them. I got a half-hearted apology and I accepted it. But honestly, I had totally forgotten about it and place hundreds of bids since then with MHCC. It was only during my phone call THIS time when Brian got so heated with me and defensive and kept saying, "I don't know what to tell you, Andy...but we don't have your money"...that the memory snapped back into my head. I actually stopped the conversation and said to Brian, "wait, I remember you now...we had an issue last year!" I went on to remind him how he didn't ship 99% of my cards and accused me of lying and told me he had proof that I had the cards"!. He just said, "that doesn't sound like me".
Old 12-27-2022, 12:08 PM
Andy Geller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
Love those two cards. Great job of matching the situation covered in this thread to the hobby. This was an interesting thread to follow. A couple of years ago I wrote a couple of columns about how when it comes to dealing with auction houses, do not judge them by how much money they bring in for one of your consignments. That's completely arbitrary and not in their control. Judge them by the customer service they provide and give them your business accordingly. Peace.
Great point. Love it.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I hear and appreciate this point a lot. Funny thing is, I forgave and literally forgot about the first bad experience with Brian. When that happened, I was really just more happy that the cards were found and that I got them. I got a half-hearted apology and I accepted it. But honestly, I had totally forgotten about it and place hundreds of bids since then with MHCC. It was only during my phone call THIS time when Brian got so heated with me and defensive and kept saying, "I don't know what to tell you, Andy...but we don't have your money"...that the memory snapped back into my head. I actually stopped the conversation and said to Brian, "wait, I remember you now...we had an issue last year!" I went on to remind him how he didn't ship 99% of my cards and accused me of lying and told me he had proof that I had the cards"!. He just said, "that doesn't sound like me".
Do you think he knew he had your money and said he didn't?
What would that motivation be?
BTW, I thought they only accept wires for purchases over 10k? (not that it would prevent it from being seen)

Last edited by Leon; 12-27-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:15 PM
Andy Geller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For transparency MHCC is an advertiser and Brian is a hobby friend, the latter for 20+ years.
I think it was just a crappy conversation, no more and no less. Brian doesn't rip anyone off.
If he saw an email or wire transfer, why would he say he didn't? That doesn't make any sense. I am glad the situation got worked out.

Reminds me of this card....N354 Consolidated and Paxi Cigarettes
Yes, I can appreciate this, Leon. And for sure not saying Brian was trying to rip me off...And I believed him when he said he didn't "see" my wire. But his insinuation was not only that I didn't send the wire, but that I was somehow the problem. I'm a good customer that pays fast (in sports cards and in my actual business). What I receievd was super unkind language and an awful experience. Instead, Brian could have just said, "I'm sorry this is happening, let me look into it". Done and Done.

The issue last year was forgiven, but the experience this year coupled with the last just shows that when shit hits the fan, he might not be the best person to deal with when there is an issue. Clearly soon after my call, they found the money that had been there all along.

Again, thanks for chiming in...thanks for this forum and all you do for us.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Yes, I can appreciate this, Leon. And for sure not saying Brian was trying to rip me off...And I believed him when he said he didn't "see" my wire. But his insinuation was not only that I didn't send the wire, but that I was somehow the problem. I'm a good customer that pays fast (in sports cards and in my actual business). What I receievd was super unkind language and an awful experience. Instead, Brian could have just said, "I'm sorry this is happening, let me look into it". Done and Done.

The issue last year was forgiven, but the experience this year coupled with the last just shows that when shit hits the fan, he might not be the best person to deal with when there is an issue. Clearly soon after my call, they found the money that had been there all along.

Again, thanks for chiming in...thanks for this forum and all you do for us.
I understand where you are coming from. Probably could have been handled differently (and certainly better, from your standpoint)

Thanks for the kind words concerning the forum.
Also, that card I showed is 1 card, front and back. I got it a long time ago as I thought of me moderating the forum. But it works in many other instances too!
Old 12-27-2022, 02:30 PM
Albert Bee

Default auction

Thats definitely a bad situation...but for sure Mile High /Brian should chime in here and explain from his end
Old 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Paul,

You must have missed Andy's post #27 where he mentions how he ended up finally getting an email with the tracking number for his cards. So apparently the AH did find the wire money he had sent them, and has now forwarded his cards. But sadly, no follow-up apology it seems came his way from the party at the AH he originally spoke with about his winnings.

My internet was in and out last night and it looks like I missed several posts between what I read and when I posted. Glad the cards got shipped.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:00 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default My experience with MH and Brian

Quote:
For transparency MHCC is an advertiser and Brian is a hobby friend, the latter for 20+ years.
I think it was just a crappy conversation, no more and no less. Brian doesn't rip anyone off.
I would mostly agree with the above opinion, however, after my first consignment experience with Brian, and after reading the issue here, I will share what happened after his May, 2022 auction. Earlier in the year, Brian flew to SoCal and came to my house. He picked up some high quality PSA Registry sets for break-up. Everything went smooth, and at the end of the auction, I netted about $211,000 in sales. That said, I was to get an extra 2.5% kicker of all sales back in my pocket. On the MH consignor page, the 2.5% to be added to my payout was shorted by around $1,000 (I see it as a simple calc of 2.5 x the hammer price)- to Mile High's advantage.

After contacting Brian (He responded to both texts and calls on his cel and his office phone) he turned it over to his IT dude to figure out. After about a week or so, the IT guy did zero and could not figure it out. I contacted Brian again and he said he would look into it. That was the last I heard! He never contacted me again, and I have not been paid about $1,000 I am owed from that auction.

Needless to say, I am one and done consigning with MH. If my approx. $40 to $50K I put in his company's pocket May, 2022, is not worthy of simple follow up and communication, it is time to move on. Over $1,000?

I will utilize REA for most larger consignments. I have almost always experienced tip top service from them. IE, today, I emailed Brian Dwyer at REA and asked if he could provide me payout by the year's end from the early DEC auction close. He replied in minutes stating even though some buyer's had not yet paid for my items, he would provide payment in full tomorrow, as he knows his buyer's and is not worried about them paying REA. That is quality service. Especially in this (still Mom and Popish at many levels) world of cards.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
My internet was in and out last night and it looks like I missed several posts between what I read and when I posted. Glad the cards got shipped.
As was I. Happy New Year!
Old 12-27-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It's not really a card or auction house issue, it is a basic customer service issue. AHs are a service business. The customer most definitely is not always right, but there are ways to deal with customers PROFESSIONALLY in these situations. There are right and wrong ways to approach it, and many (most?) in this business need to learn that. Drent gets a completely different response from Andy if his reply is: "I'm really sorry there is an issue, I will take a look at it when I get back to work Monday. In the meantime, could you email me a copy of the wire confirmation?" I find that sort of approach, asking for proof of the assertion while reserving judgment until later, weeds out the frauds without ticking off the legitimate customers with real issues. Andy wants his cards, Drent wants his customer base; they are not really at odds in their goals, they just had a bad interaction that could have been avoided.
Perfect. Why is this so hard for some people?
Old 12-27-2022, 05:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
I would mostly agree with the above opinion, however, after my first consignment experience with Brian, and after reading the issue here, I will share what happened after his May, 2022 auction. Earlier in the year, Brian flew to SoCal and came to my house. He picked up some high quality PSA Registry sets for break-up. Everything went smooth, and at the end of the auction, I netted about $211,000 in sales. That said, I was to get an extra 2.5% kicker of all sales back in my pocket. On the MH consignor page, the 2.5% to be added to my payout was shorted by around $1,000 (I see it as a simple calc of 2.5 x the hammer price)- to Mile High's advantage.

After contacting Brian (He responded to both texts and calls on his cel and his office phone) he turned it over to his IT dude to figure out. After about a week or so, the IT guy did zero and could not figure it out. I contacted Brian again and he said he would look into it. That was the last I heard! He never contacted me again, and I have not been paid about $1,000 I am owed from that auction.

Needless to say, I am one and done consigning with MH. If my approx. $40 to $50K I put in his company's pocket May, 2022, is not worthy of simple follow up and communication, it is time to move on. Over $1,000?

I will utilize REA for most larger consignments. I have almost always experienced tip top service from them. IE, today, I emailed Brian Dwyer at REA and asked if he could provide me payout by the year's end from the early DEC auction close. He replied in minutes stating even though some buyer's had not yet paid for my items, he would provide payment in full tomorrow, as he knows his buyer's and is not worried about them paying REA. That is quality service. Especially in this (still Mom and Popish at many levels) world of cards.
This seems much more concerning.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:59 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

[QUOTE]Hi Richard,
I understand you spoke with Brian today and came to an agreement for you to PayPal him $20 and we will send the item back. Our PayPal address is mhcc@milehighcardco.com and please let me know when the payment is sent.
Thank you,

Ben Gassaway
Auction Coordinator
Mile High Card Company
(303) 840-2784
ben@milehighcardco.com
[QUOTE]

This after Brian promised a Reserve auction, and then put the item up as a regular auction w/o my permission. Brian got all snotty when I demanded my item back. Had to pay $20 to get it back and listen to Brian's snotty attitude. He did this because he was afraid I was going to call him out here. Wrong Dwyer Brian! (Jul 1, 2019)

Last edited by rdwyer; 12-27-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
One of the things I've learned in life is that people treat different people very differently. My experience with someone may be 180 degrees from your experience.

This wasn't the OPs first experience with Brian. So I suspect there is history here that colored this latest interaction a fair amount. Prob on both sides.
Yep. As they say, your mileage may vary. Human nature.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:59 PM
Andy Geller

Quote:
IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY USERNAME, THIS IS ANDY GELLER. I'm a pre-war and Mantle collector. I'm very active on Ebay as And_Gell I have 100% user feedback with tons of feedback. I'm also very active on FB in Harmon's, 1985 Deal or No Deal, and all the Pre-War Groups (Mainly TR).

Guys, I hate to post something like this but I just had the absolute WORST phone call with an Auction House and it's the 2nd awful call I've had with them in 2 years. Here is what happened this time, and below you'll see what happened last year. If any of you know Brian Drent of MHCC well, please reach out to him and tell him who's an upstanding person here. He was rude, arrogant, condescending.
Current Situation: I won an auction for under 3k and got an invoice on Dec 2nd at 1:40 pm. By 2:04 PM I wired him and replied to their invoice with my wire confirmation (as I do with all my auctions). 8 days later I received the invoice again, to which I replied, "Quite positive this was paid for last week. I did send confirmation".
Brian instantly replied, "Andy,
I have gone through PayPal and I don’t see the payment. Is there another name it may be under."
I instantly replied saying, " I sent you a wire" and sent a pictured screenshot of the wire. NO REPLY
The next day I emailed them, "Find the wire? No reply.
31 minutes ago I get another invoice from them. I replied "guys, I sent a wire". I then picked up the phone and called Brian's cell.
Brian tells me he is headed into the mountains and can't look now...but nobody saw a wire. I asked if he has gotten any of my emails to which he replies that he hasn't gotten ANY of my emails....apparently not even the ones he's replied to!
He couldn't even just say, we'll find it...or let me get on it and have someone look. He just needed to be right...about what I have no idea...and he was so condescending and rude....that it reminded me that I had an issue with him once before....which was a DOOZY!!!
Last year I won Multiple Lots from an auction totally over 20k. Of course I paid right away and the cards were shipped....but what showed up was just 1 card....for like $500....and I was missing over $19k in cards. I called Brian and he was super rude and defensive. He insisted he shipped all the cards and that he had proof that I signed for them. He said, there was NOTHING he could do. I signed for it and my insurance would have to cover it. He was also pretty accusatory, making me feel that he felt I received the cards and just was filing a false claim. It was a terrible phone many phone calls we had.
Guess what happened the next day?! Brian called to say they didn't ship the cards. They had printed out the label for all the cards and packed 1 card into the box...so what I signed for was 1 card with the tracking of all the cards. He hardly offered an apology.
After our call this morning when I told him to, "listen, just find the money and send me the cards....I don't need to keep going back and forth and....and it was getting heated....I finally hung up on him....Brian felt the need to call me back and and YELL AT ME "You don't hang up on me...and guess what...you're done buying from me".

I followed the rules...I bid...I paid...and twice now Brian Drent not only has failed, but acted like a complete ASS. Yelling at me. I paid...I'm out the money.
And guess what will happen....He'll find the money in his account. It's been there since December 2nd.
Emails for backup available upon request.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...oU7q4&disp=emb
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...6Kejw&disp=emb

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...3YFK0&disp=emb
Closed Thread