NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 08-26-2022, 05:04 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Default Do you consider this to be a fraudulent listing by Heritage?

I do, and have reached out to them. The certified item shown in the listing is simply an authenticated sticker auto.

However, the listing claims this is a genuine unopened pack with a Gretzky rookie card on back (and I’m sure we all can imagine how people with genuine unopened 1979 packs with Gretzky RCs on back love to put crappy sticker autos on the front).

Anyway, I think this is absolutely disingenuous and actually fraudulent…especially Heritage “valuing” it at $10k. There is a similar Topps pack as well in this auction, and another OPC ready to go for the next auction.

So some guy is just making a bunch of these out of a $50 wrapper, cards of unknown type/authenticity, and a genuine sticker auto…right? Or am I crazy?

Sincerely, Will.i.am $t@dy.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/autographs...kedLots-101116

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.

Last edited by CardPadre; 09-11-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:28 PM
Dave

So did PSA authenticate just the signed sticker…and not the pack?

I’m not sure the listing qualifies as fraudulent, but the item itself does seem pretty shady as presented. I wouldn’t touch it at a fraction of the price it’s going for right now…even if the signature and Gretzky card that’s supposedly been kissing a wax wrapper for 40+ years were real.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would say not fraudulent as it's pretty clearly disclosed. Stupid maybe.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-26-2022 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:25 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would say not fraudulent as it's pretty clearly disclosed. Stupid maybe.
Well, they are using phrases like this:

"Encapsulated PSA Authentic with a blue marker signature that is certified PSA/DNA Authentic Auto."

So that seems to be saying more than one thing has been authenticated.

And they also say:

"...there are still a small number of O-Pee-Chee brand unopened packs available and ours is set apart from others for two reasons..."

That pretty clearly says this is an O-Pee-Chee brand unopened pack to me.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:41 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post

"Encapsulated PSA Authentic with a blue marker signature that is certified PSA/DNA Authentic Auto."

And they also say:

"...there are still a small number of O-Pee-Chee brand unopened packs available and ours is set apart from others for two reasons..."

Pretty much agree with Peter here and while this is stupid, I don’t see how in any way it’s fraudulent. Can you more clearly state your conspiracy?

A. Pack is unopened.
B. It’s a wax pack so you can see the back card which is while likely wax stained, a Gretzky Rc.
C. They look to have not gone though the effort to have Wayne sign the pack but rather removed a sticker auto from an insert card and stuck it to the pack. It’s a legit auto, just stupid; and PSA says it’s real.

So yes it’s dumb, but where is the fraud? It says clearly the card is the back card, where is your proof of reseal as that seems to be the only insinuation as the listing is very clear. I have yet to see a wax wrapper without an identifiable back card (which is usually stained unless you are lucky with some old pantyhose to clean it up).

Edit- ok, I think I figured out your line of thinking and I guess there is a bit of a point. They are stating that the pack is sealed and there is no way to have both of those graded at the same time. Point taken. Because the sticker auto is added they can only grade that much like a cut.

While creatively worded, I don’t see any actual language stating the pack is graded. It’s still a dumb item, but if this works stay tuned for more.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-26-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:53 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Pretty much agree with Peter here and while this is stupid, I don’t see how in any way it’s fraudulent. Can you more clearly state your conspiracy?

A. Pack is unopened.
B. It’s a wax pack so you can see the back card which is while likely wax stained, a Gretzky Rc.
C. They look to have not gone though the effort to have Wayne sign the pack but rather removed a sticker auto from an insert card and stuck it to the pack. It’s a legit auto, just stupid; and PSA says it’s real.
My issue is that it is not a certified unopened pack, (it almost certainly is not a legitimately unopened pack, if so it would have been certified as such), and the contents, including the Gretzky on back, are in no way certified or even known as being authentic. That's all.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:15 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
My issue is that it is not a certified unopened pack, (it almost certainly is not a legitimately unopened pack, if so it would have been certified as such), and the contents, including the Gretzky on back, are in no way certified or even known as being authentic. That's all.
Sorry, I got that after thinking on it a bit. There definitely is faith in it for a buyer but the statement that if it was unopened it would be certified is false. There can be no other grade as it is a adulterated pack with the sticker. If you took a T206 Cobb and glued a cut signature to the card they would only place the title “trading card” with the signature authentication.

If the pack was signed physically and not a sticker added, you might have been able to get an “authentic” grade on the pack but I think it would take a bit of an ask.

You can only get combo card/sig grades on factory produced items to my knowledge.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

And they also say:

I see your point. It's certainly one confusing, screwed up listing (and flip) and I have no clue why PSA would get involved with this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-26-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:30 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I see your point. It's certainly one confusing, screwed up listing (and flip) and I have no clue why PSA would get involved with this.
The creator of this mess basically cornered into 1 of 2 crap options by doing the silly sticker thing.

A. Grade pack as sealed but a 1 due to the pack being essentially damaged by a sticker which is now uncertified.
B. Grade the auto only as an affixed cut basically.

Just plain stupid.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The creator of this mess basically cornered into 1 of 2 crap options by doing the silly sticker thing.

A. Grade pack as sealed but a 1 due to the pack being essentially damaged by a sticker which is now uncertified.
B. Grade the auto only as an affixed cut basically.

Just plain stupid.
Is there a way to read the auction as Heritage independently representing the pack is sealed, from its own assessment? If that's the case, maybe we're back to stupid and confusing but not fraudulent?

Old 08-26-2022, 07:44 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Sorry, I got that after thinking on it a bit. There definitely is faith in it for a buyer but the statement that if it was unopened it would be certified is false. There can be no other grade as it is a adulterated pack with the sticker. If you took a T206 Cobb and glued a cut signature to the card they would only place the title “trading card” with the signature authentication.

If the pack was signed physically and not a sticker added, you might have been able to get an “authentic” grade on the pack but I think it would take a bit of an ask.

You can only get combo card/sig grades on factory produced items to my knowledge.
I do believe in my statement that if it was a true unopened pack it would be certified...that's where the actual and only value lies, a 1979 OPC (or Topps) pack with a Gretzky RC showing. A clear sticker with a Gretzky auto on it has maybe $200 worth of value if you're lucky. A legit unopened pack with a Gretzky RC showing is probably a $20k-$50k item??? And, in addition, we're to believe someone has both an OPC pack and a Topps pack like this for offer in this auction, and then also more on tap for upcoming auctions? That reeks of absolute nonsense to me...and apparently only to me, lol.

If this pack was legit, it would almost be the hockey equivalent of taking a '52 Topps unopened pack with Mantle showing, putting a clear autographed sticker on it, and having PSA certify only that the autograph on the sticker is genuine, no...one...would...ever...do...that.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:51 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Is there a way to read the auction as Heritage independently representing the pack is sealed, from its own assessment? If that's the case, maybe we're back to stupid and confusing but not fraudulent?
Yeah, it is only Heritage saying it's an unopened pack...and if that was their actual evaluation and assessment it should be more clearly stated. But someone, the consigner, is producing these in a quantity (3 so far that I've seen) that you would not realistically expect to see all at once 40+ years after original production.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:56 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I do believe in my statement that if it was a true unopened pack it would be certified...that's where the actual and only value lies, a 1979 OPC (or Topps) pack with a Gretzky RC showing. A clear sticker with a Gretzky auto on it has maybe $200 worth of value if you're lucky. A legit unopened pack with a Gretzky RC showing is probably a $20k-$50k item??? And, in addition, we're to believe someone has both an OPC pack and a Topps pack like this for offer in this auction, and then also more on tap for upcoming auctions? That reeks of absolute nonsense to me...and apparently only to me, lol.

If this pack was legit, it would almost be the hockey equivalent of taking a '52 Topps unopened pack with Mantle showing, putting a clear autographed sticker on it, and having PSA certify only that the autograph on the sticker is genuine, no...one...would...ever...do...that.
Oh I think this is a trial run, but yes it is certainly quite possible the card in the pack is fake and the pack resealed. I am just stating that the catch 22 is that the pack is basically ungradable.

I would wager that I am even likely wrong that it would be accepted by PSA for pack grading at all. The Topps Rookie Premiere scandal that absolutely killed them in 2007-8 as they graded an absolute ton of backdoored cards with fake signatures as “authentic” and stated it happened as they were only grading the cards themselves and not the signature would likely have them stating that without removing the sticker they would refuse to grade just the pack.

Funny thing is that this submitter flipped that on its head.

Psa did actually take a safe route by only putting “sticker” on this.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-26-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:11 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Out of curiosity, as you said this was the 3rd you’ve seen, what were the prices reached on the others? I did not see one in a complete d search and think someone would be nuts to spend real dollars like you mentioned on this.

I am sure they are out there…”a fool and his money”.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-26-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:00 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Out of curiosity, as you said this was the 3rd you’ve seen, what were the prices reached on the others? I did not see one in a complete d search and think someone would be nuts to spend real dollars like you mentioned on this.

I am sure they are out there…”a fool and his money”.
There are two active on Heritage that end Sunday (this OPC and a Topps) and one upcoming in September...so no realized prices yet. If people want to spend thousands on a fantasy pack, so be it...but make it clear that's what it is (and of course I don't know with literal 100% certainty this is a fantasy pack...but come on, of course it is). I wonder if other auction houses passed on these.

I'm gonna try and be over it now. I appreciate everyone's input and thoughts.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:58 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
There are two active on Heritage that end Sunday (this OPC and a Topps) and one upcoming in September...so no realized prices yet. If people want to spend thousands on a fantasy pack, so be it...but make it clear that's what it is (and of course I don't know with literal 100% certainty this is a fantasy pack...but come on, of course it is). I wonder if other auction houses passed on these.

I'm gonna try and be over it now. I appreciate everyone's input and thoughts.
I am totally in agreement that it is a rather distasteful situation and if I was in charge at Heritage I would distance myself from the item to avoid any future possible ramifications. While they are technically covered, it leaves something to be desired for sure.

You’ve certainly brought good points.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

A pack with Gretzky showing would be that much? I should go check my pack and see whos on the back.