NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-07-2023, 10:19 AM

Default Any love for signed Perez steeles?

Is it just me but for HOF autograph collectors aren’t signed Perez Steele postcards the most beautiful amazing things to collect/get signed? Any love gif them? Anyone collect them?
Old 01-08-2023, 02:53 AM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Default I Love Perez-Steele Signed Postcards

I collect them...here are links to threads I posted with pics of my Perez-Steele signed sets. I haven't gotten around to posting my regular HOF set yet, but hope to sometime soon.

Kaneen's Signed Perez-Steele Great Moments Set

Kaneen's Signed Perez-Steele Celebration Set
Old 01-08-2023, 06:24 AM

In the 80's, the quality of most baseball art was horrid. At the time, Perez' art seemed palatable because there simply weren't appealing alternatives. Fast forward to today, and I can't even look at his work. It's awful! So much in the way of blotchy skin tones and the faces often look like the work of a questionably talented young teenager at best. Did all white players suffer from rosacea?

Artists like Graig blew Perez out of the water.

My statements are only opinions. They're neither correct nor incorrect. It's art (or "art", depending on your position). Subjective.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-08-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:36 PM
d.ean

Think about it, what would be the best item for multiple signatures of hof players?

When, the majority of my hobby funds switched from cards to autographs and memorabilia, initially I was not impressed with Perez-Steele. I always had the player sign a ball and depending on the player a b&w photo. Over the years, as I watched signatures on signed balls fade and bleed to oblivion, I realized that I should have given Perez-Steele postcards more consideration. The cards were the perfect item for signatures.

At the time (late 80's early 90's) I could not find an oversize picture of the HOF for players to sign. Eventually, a collecting friend took a picture of the hall, had a friend airbrush away the occasional visitor and an oversize picture of the hall was the new medium for hof signatures. Currently, there are 50 plus signatures on the HOF picture. I never had a player sign a ball again.

Well over a decade ago, I had an idea for a Bill Mazeroski piece and I thought the standard Perez-Steele postcard would work. Now, I have about 30 of the post cards signed and I am still holding out hope for the final two possible gets (Brett and the impossible Koufax). I wish that I had started with Perez-Steele sooner, because I would have had another 10-12 signed cards of some of the greats, especially Mantle and Ted Williams. Personally, I thought Bill Purdom was the best artist of that era. I have about 10 signed Purdom lithographs. Kreindler is the best I have ever seen. Neither artist did post cards, and from conversing with both men; both stated the difficulty with the licensing when working with MLB, the HOF, players or the players estate. I wish Kreindler would produce lithographs of living players. I believe limited edition of Kreindler lithographs of living players would crush. I would be a buyer.

There is a vendor at the CSA show who sells framed autographed pictures of multiple sports. He has been setting up at CSA forever. He has the entire Perez-Steele celebration set (one or two cards unsigned) which is just an awesome piece.

Last edited by Huck; 01-08-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:14 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Yep, I'll hold my hand up on this one. Collected them pretty heavily in the late '80s, into the early '90's (along with Gary Thomas PFHOF cards).

To me, they are a step up from autographed photos, and like a previous poster mentioned, they hold an autograph well. Seen a lot of faded signatures on baseballs. I also like the fact that they are serially numbered and limited in production, unlike photos and baseballs. And personally, I like the art.

In general, I see a lower number of forgeries on PS than on other mediums. However, when the studio quit producing postcards, I lost some momentum on the chase.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-09-2023, 12:24 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Yep, I'll hold my hand up on this one. Collected them pretty heavily in the late '80s, into the early '90's (along with Gary Thomas PFHOF cards).

To me, they are a step up from autographed photos, and like a previous poster mentioned, they hold an autograph well. Seen a lot of faded signatures on baseballs. I also like the fact that they are serially numbered and limited in production, unlike photos and baseballs. And personally, I like the art.

In general, I see a lower number of forgeries on PS than on other mediums. However, when the studio quit producing postcards, I lost some momentum on the chase.
I prefer PS and Sport Illustrated covers over the stock photographs at shows. The PS cards were a nice alternative. Production ceased with the 15th series (2001 induction class). Football has the Goal Line Art Cards (GLAC), I guess baseball with have to live with the HOF induction cards, which I personally don't like.

Correction - In an earlier post, I stated having 30 cards. This morning, I checked the database and I have 49 of the post cards signed. Brett will make 50 and then I will have the cards framed. I never say never, but I don't think getting Koufax is going to come to fruition.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:07 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Huck, Koufax isn't hard to find on P/S cards. If you are not opposed to picking one up that was previously signed you can find one for a fraction of the price he charges for his private signings.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:53 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Huck, Koufax isn't hard to find on P/S cards. If you are not opposed to picking one up that was previously signed you can find one for a fraction of the price he charges for his private signings.
Yes, I have seen the PS Koufax signed cards on eBay. I have thought about purchasing signed PS cards but thus far have refrained. When I ventured down the autograph niche of the hobby, the plan was to only get autographs in person. Over the years, I relaxed the in person requirement because I can't be everywhere. I have dabbled in TTM, utilized the services of family/fellow collectors and mail order but in person was a hard rule for the major stars. Even though the autograph is deemed authentic by the major authenticators (their opinion), that little voice in me would always wonder - "is it legit", especially for a Koufax not so much for a Terry Moore or Farris Fain. I was fortunate to get Koufax at a Tuff-Stuff show back in 1994 or 1995 (I would have to check the exact date) so his signature is in the collection, just not on a PS card.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:40 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Completely understand that philosophy!