NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Default Help from Black Sox Collectors

Posted By: Jason

I am currently attempting to tackle the task of collecting a card of every player that appeared in a game for the 1919 White Sox. I know that many of the players only appeared in a handful games during the season and others only appeared in a handful of games during their careers. Can any other Black Sox collectors tell me if cards were ever produced of the following players?

Joe Jenkins
Byrd Lynn
Grover Lowdermilk
Roy Wilkinson
John Sullivan
Tom McGuire

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

Lowdermilk has a T207. Will set you back quite a bit of cash. I am sure some of the more advanced collector's on this board can answer to the rest of the players on your list.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

Joe Jenkins has 1920 Zeenuts #83, 1921 Zeenuts #98, 1922 Zeenuts #80, 1924 Zeenuts #79, and 1926 Zeenuts #167.

Byrd Lynn has 1914 Zeenuts #87, and 1921 Zeenuts #102.

Grover (Louis) Lowdermilk has T207 Brown Background #112.

Roy Wilkinson has 1923 Willards Chocolates V100 #171.

John Sullivan has 1912 Zeenuts #156 and 1923 Willards Chocolates V100 #160.

Tom McGuire has no cards.

I found all these on Beckett.com. I hope they are accurate, some guys have the same names.

Regards,
Ray

Old 12-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

appears in the 1923 sets of Curtis Ireland (E123) and Willard Chocolate (V100). Lynn and Jenkins appear in the 1917 Chisox team set-of which one is known. I found nothing on the others, although you'd think Grover would be featured in one of the 1916 sets, coming off a 13-18 record.

Edited to add : I didn't check the Zeenuts, but Grover is not Louis Lowdermilk (maybe the pic on the t207 depicts Grover, but Louis is his brother). Also, the Sullivan you're looking for is John J. Sullivan, and the one checklisted in Willard's chocolate/Curtis Ireland is John L. Sullivan.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Let me check the data base for you and I'll see if any cards exist of the missing player or two.

Regards
Rich

Old 12-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

the previous poster is correct, it is Grover, although I thought I read somewhere were the two were brothers.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

OK I checked the Beckett data base, and the data base is correct.Lou Lowdermilk is in T207, and the only card we have listed for Grover is a multi player card in a 1975 White Sox TCMA 1919 set.

According to the BB Encyclopedia, they are brothers.

Let me know if our system shows something else so I can send a note to our computer department

And in my best hank ron or julie imitation (editing posts), I did not find a Tom McGuire (fixing the data base now) card in that same TCMA set.
Regards,
Rich

Old 12-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Administrator

I want to thank everyone for their help with my search. This information will be very valuable to me.

Jason

Old 12-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

maybe not! I just have mulitple examples of the 8, plus their more famous teammates (E. Collins, Schalk, Kerr, Shano Collins--I don't really want him, since he didn't play in the series, but I even have a Conlon photo of him), their manager Gleason and their owner Comiskey, and the available gamblers Attell and Burns. And Landis, of course. Couldn't have the show without HIM...

I hear there is a card of The Big Bankroll, but I don't have it. Nor do I have a photo. Should get on that.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I started by collecting cards of the 8 Black Sox and then I turned to collecting the rest of the 1919 team. I have cards of seven of the eight Black Sox with Fred McMullin being the missing card. I figured while I was waiting on a Zeenut of Fred McMullin to become available that I might as well work on obtaining the rest of the team.

If someone happens to know of a Zeenut of Fred McMullin that is available please let me know. I really do not care about condition and at this point, price isn't much of a factor.

A handful of my cards are featured on 1919blacksox.com.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

If I haven't done this before--this is Mark Macrae's e-mail address. He occasionally has silent auctions (you only bid once) of Black Sox players, and (for some peculiar reason--he's a bred-in-the bone Californian, and his heart is in the PCL and CL), he has a lot of Black Sox clients. Me, for instance!

I got my (fair) McMullen from him. I bid $1000, but got it for $600. The (original Conlon) photo was much cheaper--Buck is just along for the ride, I guess (most of my Black Sox stuff is middle-to-lower grade. Not sure why).