NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2023, 04:51 PM
Fred

Default GAI, PSA, SGC - GAI ahead of their time

I can remember when the three best TPGs were PSA, SGC and GAI. GAI was an upstart and moving up the grading company ladder as a favorite. Then something happened and GAI started slabbing trimmed cards and assigning the cards a numerical grade, which we all know is a no-no for grading companies. GAI then folded because of mismanagement and nobody trusted them. At the beginning, they were great!

Now I look at it and GAI have determined that GAI was just ahead of their time because now it just seems to be the "norm". More and more trimmed/altered cards are getting numerical grades by PSA and SGC. Now look at the top two TPGs, they're really sucking and slabbing all kinds of altered and trimmed cards and assigning numerical grades.

I hate to say this but SGC seems to be slabbing more trimmed/altered cards than PSA when you consider the number of cards graded. PSA has a higher volume of graded cards so you'd think they'd have more slabbed trimmed cards, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess SGC has more slabbed/altered cards than PSA by graded volume.

When I see some of the crud they're grading, it just makes me cringe. The sad part is the collecting public just turns a blind eye and seems to accept it.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?
Old 10-16-2023, 05:23 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I don't trust a single GAI slab, the last four I have tried to get into SGC came back altered.

Recently acquired this one (very tough combo) knowing that likely it would not cross over. For now it stays as the highest graded

Old 10-16-2023, 07:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I can remember when the three best TPGs were PSA, SGC and GAI. GAI was an upstart and moving up the grading company ladder as a favorite. Then something happened and GAI started slabbing trimmed cards and assigning the cards a numerical grade, which we all know is a no-no for grading companies. GAI then folded because of mismanagement and nobody trusted them. At the beginning, they were great!

Now I look at it and GAI have determined that GAI was just ahead of their time because now it just seems to be the "norm". More and more trimmed/altered cards are getting numerical grades by PSA and SGC. Now look at the top two TPGs, they're really sucking and slabbing all kinds of altered and trimmed cards and assigning numerical grades.

I hate to say this but SGC seems to be slabbing more trimmed/altered cards than PSA when you consider the number of cards graded. PSA has a higher volume of graded cards so you'd think they'd have more slabbed trimmed cards, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess SGC has more slabbed/altered cards than PSA by graded volume.

When I see some of the crud they're grading, it just makes me cringe. The sad part is the collecting public just turns a blind eye and seems to accept it.

But SGC has a faster turnaround. That's all that matters, ask their see/hear no evil fans here.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-16-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:18 PM
Phil

Quote:

If GAI was accurate when they began, about up to which serial number was their grading considered to be correct?

Phil aka Tere1071

Complete 1953 Bowman Color, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975 Topps Baseball sets under revision as the budget and wife allows

Under construction:
1967 Topps Baseball - 330/533: Overall p-g, missing all of the bigger name stars and many commons, no high numbers or posters

1968 Topps Baseball - 420/598: Overall good, missing all of the bigger name stars and many commons from 1-375; no game cards

1969 Topps Baseball - 320-664: Overall good, missing all of the stars and many cards after #217; no deckle edged cards

1969 Topps Baseball Team Stamps- Dodgers, Royals, A’s, Phillies; missing everything else

1970 Topps Baseball Insert sets:
Booklets- missing 7; 9; 11; 13; 14; 15; 17; and 23.
Posters # 1; 8; 14; 17; and 19
I do not have any 1970 scratch offs yet.

1971 Topps Coins- 120/153
I do not have any 1971 scratch offs yet.

1974 Topps Baseball Washington variations- 32; 53; 77; 102; 125; 226; 241; 309; 364; and 599

Last edited by Tere1071; 10-16-2023 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:13 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
But SGC has a faster turnaround. That's all that matters, ask their see/hear no evil fans here.
Made me laugh with that comment, so true!
Old 10-17-2023, 07:51 AM
Ben North

I also wouldn't trust a single GAI graded card but I believe the same about PSA.

The one thing GAI nailed for me was their holder. I absolutely love the design and still consider it to be the best designed holder we have seen in the hobby.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:40 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
If GAI was accurate when they began, about up to which serial number was their grading considered to be correct?
I never really tracked GAI by serial numbers. I can remember that a couple years after GAI opened for business that the encapsulated cards were not graded as stringently as in the past and that it appeared cards with numerical grades were trimmed.

At that time SGC and PSA were a bit more on top of things and trimmed cards were the exception rather than the rule. That's not saying SGC and PSA will grade anything trimmed and assign a numerical grade, it's just my opinion that "at the present time" I can see a greater percentage of cards appearing to be trimmed or otherwise altered that have been assigned numerical grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I also wouldn't trust a single GAI graded card but I believe the same about PSA.

The one thing GAI nailed for me was their holder. I absolutely love the design and still consider it to be the best designed holder we have seen in the hobby.
The GAI holders were nice because they mimicked the black insert from SGC and they also added a label at the top so that you could determine what the card is without pulling it out of the box.

GAI.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ha - now that's funny (and sadly true). I see more crap graded by SGC in the new holders than in the past. I don't mind calling them out on this. They're basically PRO graders now.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:10 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:

I also liked GAI in the beginning, then it went the way of the dodo.

Not going to speculate on how many trimmed cards get by grading services, but does it matter anymore? Many collectors just care about getting a card in a certain grade in a holder, no matter what it is or how it looks.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:26 AM

Default GAI etc

Fred- it’s funny, I like GAI at the beginning as well. I’ve sent a few GAIs to SGC and all have graded numerically- less than their GAI grade but still a grade. Just lucky I guess…Out of curiosity, do you have specific SGC examples you think are trimmed, etc? I’ve noted SGC are hard on vintage but not noticed obviously altered cards getting numerical grades, in my small sample size anyway. Trent “see no evil, hear no evil” King