NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2023, 04:24 PM
Arthur R!ch

Default Cleveland Indians Team Issues: The Satchel Paige Era

Looking at PSA's pop report, there seems to be some confusion as to how to differentiate the Paige issues as well as how to date them. Considering I sent all of my research to Amanda Fryer, who was head of research at PSA at the time, this is both disappointing and unsurprising.

I did all my work a few years ago before prices went bonkers. I looked specifically for full sets with original envelopes and managed to pick up a few handfuls. The good news is that once you know what to look for it's pretty easy to tell what year the cards are from. Each set has a design specification that separates it from the others. Each set also has at least the 25 man roster in it so with the yearly turnover of players it's not hard to pin down when each set was released.

Out of the three cab-sized issues, only one is from 1948. PSA labels multiple issues from 1948 but, as you'll see, the other two are 1949 or 1949-50.

1948 Thin Pen Portraits

The set is comprised of portrait shots with facsimile signatures in a thin pen style. Hall of Famers include Lou Boudreau, Larry Doby, Bob Feller, Joe Gordon, Bob Lemon, Satchel Paige, Hank Greenberg, and Bill McKechnie. After Greenberg retired in 1947, Veeck hired him as the Indians' farm director. Despite what PSA says, only the uniform version is from 1948.

Checklist & Transactions Dating This Issue:

NAME TRANSACTION
Bearden, Gene
Berardino, Johnny
Black, Don
Boudreau, Lou
Christopher, Russ
Clark, Allie
Doby, Larry
Edwards, Hank
Feller, Bob
Gordon, Joe
Greenberg, Hank - Uniform
Gromek, Steve
Harder, Mel
Hegan, Jim
Judnich, Walter
Keltner, Ken
Kennedy, Bob Acquired via trade June 2, 1948
Klieman, Ed
Lemon, Bob
McKechnie, Bill
Mitchell, Dale
Muncrief, Bob Sold to Pittsburgh November 20, 1948
Paige, Satchel Signed as free agent July 7, 1948
Peck, Hal
Robinson, Eddie
Ruel, Muddy
Tipton, Joe Traded on November 24, 1948
Tucker, Thurman
Veeck, Bill
Zoldak, Sam Acquired via trade June 15, 1948

1949 Wide Pen Portraits

Upon quick glance, these appear the same as the '48 issue. But you can tell the difference by the facsimile autograph, which is a much wider pen version on the '49s, and some cropping differences. Hall of Famers include Lou Boudreau, Larry Doby, Bob Feller, Joe Gordon, Bob Lemon, Early Wynn, and Satchel Paige.

NAME TRANSACTION
Avila, Roberto
Bearden, Gene
Benton, Al Purchased on April 20, 1949
Berardino, Johnny
Boudreau, Lou
Clark, Allie
Doby, Larry
Feller, Bob
Garcia, Mike
Gordon, Joe
Gromek, Steve
Hegan, Jim
Keltner, Ken Released on April 18, 1950
Kennedy, Bob
Lemon, Bob
Mitchell, Dale
Paige, Satchel
Papish, Frank Sold to Pittsburgh on December 14, 1949
Peck, Hal
Tresh, Mike Released on April 3, 1950
Tucker, Thurman
Veeck, Bill
Vernon, Mickey
Wynn, Early
Zoldak, Sam

1949-1950 Thin Pen Action Shots

These are obviously the easiest to differentiate among the three. The set consists of almost entirely "in action" photos. The few exceptions have to do with Veeck's sale of the franchise to Ellis Ryan. Veeck was one hell of a showman and had a card of himself in all three of these sets.

When Ryan purchased the franchise he wasted no time in getting a card of himself inserted into this set, which was still in rotation. When doing this, the set received an "update" which resulted in a handful of short prints, all listed below. The Ryan should be considered a short print, as well.

Ryan also promoted Hank Greenberg to general manager which resulted in Greenberg getting his second Indians Team Issue, this one of him in a civilian suit. My best guess is that the set ran straight through 1950's Spring Training as they tried to milk every last drop out of all the remaining stars from their '48 World Series winning team.

NAME TRANSACTION
Avila, Roberto
Bearden, Gene
Benton, Al Purchased on April 20, 1949
Berardino, Johnny
Boone, Ray
Boudreau, Lou
Clark, Allie
Cleveland Stadium
Coaches
Doby, Larry
Easter, Luke SP MLB Debut August 11, 1949
Feller, Bob
Flores, Jesse
Garcia, Mike
Gordon, Joe
Greenberg, Hank - Suit
Gromek, Steve
Hegan, Jim
Keltner, Ken Released April 18, 1950
Kennedy, Bob
Lemon, Bob
Mitchell, Dale
Murray, Ray SP
Paige, Satchel
Papish, Frank
Peck, Hal
Pieretti, Marino "Chick" SP Claimed off waivers April 16, 1950
Rosen, Al
Rozek, Dick SP
Ryan, Ellis SP Purchases franchise from Bill Veeck Nov 21, 1949
Tresh, Mike
Tucker, Thurman
Veeck, Bill Sells franchise to Ellis Ryan November 21, 1949
Vernon, Mickey
Wynn, Early
Zoldak, Sam

There's a 4-on-1 set that mirrors the '48 images that gets purported to be original and authentic from the time period but it's a modern production and pretty easy to tell in-hand. The paper and printing technique are all very modern and the cards are poorly cut from a paper cutter. They always come with the "original envelope" which conveniently has the same printing defects as every other envelope. Do not waste your time on this set, you can make it at home with a $100 printer.

If anyone has interest in seeing any of the cards just let me know. I hope this helps because I think PSA's mislabeling has already left the barn.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 10-15-2023, 04:50 PM
W@de

Great work! Sorry that PSA never used your research to differentiate them. Hope this catches on as common knowledge that there are different years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2023, 05:06 PM

Excellent. My own research conforms with yours. The 1948 Portraits and the 1949 Action Photos sets were offered as souvenirs at the Stadium and through the mail by the Cleveland Indians Baseball Company. Each picture pack had 30 photos, and these may be the only two in all the years these packs were produced that did not change their lineup/contents during the season. I believe the 1949 Portraits set may be a product of The Big League Novelty Co. They made sets in 1950 and later labeled as such, and the 1949 Portraits envelope has a similar style to suggest the connection. In summary, only one Paige from 1948, and two Paige’s from 1949.
Old 10-15-2023, 09:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nice work!

F'ing PSA...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-15-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
There's a 4-on-1 set that mirrors the '48 images that gets purported to be original and authentic from the time period but it's a modern production and pretty easy to tell in-hand. The paper and printing technique are all very modern and the cards are poorly cut from a paper cutter. They always come with the "original envelope" which conveniently has the same printing defects as every other envelope. Do not waste your time on this set, you can make it at home with a $100 printer.
Arthur, can you clarify if you are referring to the same 4-in-1's that are mentioned in the Standard Catalog 2009 Update blog (http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2009/07...indians.html)? Are the fakes 6 1/2 X 9 like the other issues (the blog mentions the 4-in-1's being 5X7)? I have a set in my safe deposit box like those mentioned in the Update blog. Haven't looked at them in awhile but my recollection is that they are the post-season set mentioned (I have the same "World Champs" envelope) and these 4-in-1's are not poorly cut.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:40 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Arthur, can you clarify if you are referring to the same 4-in-1's that are mentioned in the Standard Catalog 2009 Update blog (http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2009/07...indians.html)? Are the fakes 6 1/2 X 9 like the other issues (the blog mentions the 4-in-1's being 5X7)? I have a set in my safe deposit box like those mentioned in the Update blog. Haven't looked at them in awhile but my recollection is that they are the post-season set mentioned (I have the same "World Champs" envelope) and these 4-in-1's are not poorly cut.
Yes, those are the ones I'm referring to. I don't know Bill Atkinson but if he had Bob Lemke's ear then he must have been an educated collector. All I can tell you is what I've seen in my research.

All of the envelopes are basically the same. They all look like they were soaked in water and left to dry before being printed on. They all have small tears on the edges of the top fold. They've all got deep, rich blacks that are solid under magnification, no dots. They all look like they were printed yesterday.

It should be noted that there was no Greenberg in Civies or Al Lopez in the '48 set, which Lemke said there was. The entire '48 set is accounted for in the 4-in-1s, they just also included a 2nd Feller and a card of Cleveland's Stadium.

Is it possible there's a genuine, from-the-period version of these that are just so rare that a copy hasn't surfaced in years? Sure, possible. But based on the amount of '48 and '49 Picture Packs sets that are up on eBay all the time I would think a set commemorating their World Series win would have been just as popular. Because every one I've seen in the last few years is faker than Sweet 'n Low.

It's ironic that Adam responded already. If I were still in LA I'd have him look at the 4-in-1s. He's forgotten more about printing processes and paper stock than I'll ever know.

Next time you're at the bank I'd pull them out and give them another once over. Hopefully, for your sake, I'm wrong.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 10-17-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
Next time you're at the bank I'd pull them out and give them another once over. Hopefully, for your sake, I'm wrong.
I definitely will! Now I'm trying to remember what I actually paid for the 4-in-1 set I bought! Hopefully not too much!