NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2023, 07:22 PM
Scott

Default Encapsulating Photos: PSA vs. SGC?

Just wanted to ask forum members with experience which grading company has the nicest holders/slabs for old 8x10 b&w photographs?

Thank you,
Scott
Old 10-08-2023, 07:48 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
Just wanted to ask forum members with experience which grading company has the nicest holders/slabs for old 8x10 b&w photographs?

Thank you,
Scott
SGC does not slab photos.

PSA is the only game in town.

At one time Beckett slabbed them but I don't think they do any longer unless it is considered a card of some type.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:51 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Default Encapsulating Photos: PSA vs. SGC?

Well, sgc doesn’t holder 8x10 non issued photos. An example being News photos or other non issued photos.

Psa does.

That said for example an 8x10 picture pack photo to me looks far better in an sgc holder. There is no argument its black surrounding cutout contrast makes anything inside pop more than a clear psa slab.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 10-08-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:54 PM
Scott

I guess I should have clarified that it would be for an 8x10 photo premium, so technically a card.

Would SGC slab that then?
Old 10-09-2023, 04:35 AM

SGC doesn’t grade 1909-13 M101-2 Sporting News Supplements, which are approx the same size. Thus, I doubt they can slab an 8x12 premium. I can give you info for a direct contact there to confirm with, PM me.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:52 AM
Fred

And why not have PSA authenticate photos... they do one hell of a job with cards, right?

I'm game - if someone is an expert in card grading, then why not allow them to be experts in photography and determining a photo meets the grading criteria and then assigning grades to pictures.

Seriously? WAF joke.

Edited to add - now, for those that "had" a passion to collect photos, watch that passion begin to dissolve when the knuckle heads start tripling (and more) the price of a basic photo and then go 10x on some stupid grading criteria a bunch of bucket heads determines is a "key" factor in collecting photos. Another part of the "hobby" about to bite the dust...

Last edited by Fred; 10-09-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:10 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
I guess I should have clarified that it would be for an 8x10 photo premium, so technically a card.

Would SGC slab that then?

I just asked SGC last week if they could slab a 1938 Dixie Lids Premium of Bronko Nagurski, it’s 8x10 and they said they can’t holder something that size.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:13 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
I just asked SGC last week if they could slab a 1938 Dixie Lids Premium of Bronko Nagurski, it’s 8x10 and they said they can’t holder something that size.
Wow, that’s troubling considering they slab T3 Turkey Red cards that are larger than normal and are considered premiums….
Old 10-09-2023, 08:19 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Turkey Reds do not measure close to 8” x 10”.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:24 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Turkey Reds do not measure close to 8” x 10”.
I understand, but SGC has been in business many years and you’d think they’d have made an 8x10 slab for many of the oversized cards in existence.

Guess I’ll contact PSA tomorrow….does anybody have a useful email contact for me with a specific question like this?
Old 10-09-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
..Beckett has large-size holders , big enough for Dixie Premiums.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:15 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..Beckett has large-size holders , big enough for Dixie Premiums.

Beauty! Yeah, I figured Beckett would holder them. Just was gonna send some other things I want to sell to SGC anyway, so wanted to see if I could include that premium instead of making it its own order somewhere else.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:04 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

SGC only holders cards/premiums up to 6x9, which is basically the T3 size. They don't go up higher than that.

Does Beckett still holder large sized premiums up to 8x11? I sent some larger notebooks to Beckett to holder, which they used to do, but was informed that that Beckett no longer encapsulates notebooks or magazines anymore.

What photo premium are you looking for PSA to grade? PSA has an exceptionally nice holder although it costs min $75/item. You can often look in the PSA pop report to see if they have holdered that premium before since their customer service is often extremely busy.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:27 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
And why not have PSA authenticate photos... they do one hell of a job with cards, right?

I'm game - if someone is an expert in card grading, then why not allow them to be experts in photography and determining a photo meets the grading criteria and then assigning grades to pictures.

Seriously? WAF joke.

Edited to add - now, for those that "had" a passion to collect photos, watch that passion begin to dissolve when the knuckle heads start tripling (and more) the price of a basic photo and then go 10x on some stupid grading criteria a bunch of bucket heads determines is a "key" factor in collecting photos. Another part of the "hobby" about to bite the dust...
+1

I would just use an 8 X 10 Rigid Toploader for protection and/or display. But to each his own, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 10-09-2023, 11:39 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

PSA doesn't grade photos, just authenticates them.

Many of the photos have been recently trimmed and don't qualify for a real grade beyond Authentic or Poor anyway.

Last edited by drcy; 10-09-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:00 PM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

PSA in a way “ Grades” Photos by using its Type I, II, III, and IV labels. But it’s all good. In fact I like it when people base their prices on what PSA thinks. I was able to snag a really good photo on eBay yesterday. PSA labeled it a type 4 so it garnered little interest from the hobby and the seller started the bidding price really low. Looking at the other bidders’ bidding history , the majority seem to be photo buffs. Because of the subject, where the photo came from and the condition it was in, it cost more than your typical photo but it cost a lot , lot less because the people in hobby just weren’t interested in it.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:26 PM
Scott

Just to reiterate: the item in question is a photo premium and not simply a photo. I would assume that would put it in the “Card” territory rather than photography (and certainly not news services, nor Type I, II, etc).
Old 10-19-2023, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

Seriously? WAF joke.

Just wait until PSA attempts to create a POP report with historical prices/sales and a pop count! Prices might really go crazy then.